"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

18 minutes ago, XRay said:

Both are great natures for different builds, so I would definitely keep both.

Hana [+Spd, -HP/Def/Res] is perfect with Firesweep Sword. Elincia and HNY!Camilla can do it better since they can fly and abuse Hit and Run, but you will still have fun with Firesweep Weapons on any unit with decent Speed and Attack.

Hana [+Atk, -Res] is great with a more traditional offensive set. If you can consistently give Hana buffs, then Brave Sword is better, but if you need Hana to be more independent, Slaying Edge and Wo Dao has better unbuffed performance. I think Wo Dao is slightly better than Slaying Edge, but I would double check the calculator just to be sure; both have pretty similar performance numbers, so if you do not care about squeezing every last drop of performance out of her, then you can just go with whatever is cheaper.

Alright! I think I'll go with the +Atk Hana with Wo Dao+ (I think a Wo Dao Moonbow does more Dmg than a Slaying Edge Luna, although I can't really tell if the enemy is dead either way) and maybe I'll give her a Brave Sword down the road. 

The Firesweep Sword sounds interesting but I think that a +Spd Soleil can do that a tiny bit better thanks to her higher Atk so it won't be as good of an investment in my eyes. I'll still keep the +Spd Hana around in case some form of a weaker and inheritable Regnal Astra ever comes into existance.

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, rayngiraffe said:

I don't really have wrath available..would drag back be a good alternative instead?

Experiment with it, and see how it works for you.  Luckily, Drag Back is pretty common (hello Donnel).

5 hours ago, XRay said:

I wish Galeforce did not have that once per turn rule. There is no way Eldigan or BH!Roy can possibly be more amazing than Reinhardt, right?

That would be amazing. I also would like to have it available at 4*, to give it to Siegbert, Minerva, Titania, Olivia, Tana, Oscar and all Azuras now that Heavy Blade is a seal. 

Reinhardt could only arrive at a similar level of amazing if they made Galeforce accessible for ranged units.

Speaking of Minerva: My incredible luck with melee flyers continues and I pulled an +ATK/-DEF Minerva this morning. I'll keep my +SPD/-HP copy, but I'm unsure if to give her a merge for +1 SPD or use the spare one as LnD fodder. 

8 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

That would be amazing. I also would like to have it available at 4*, to give it to Siegbert, Minerva, Titania, Olivia, Tana, Oscar and all Azuras now that Heavy Blade is a seal. 

Reinhardt could only arrive at a similar level of amazing if they made Galeforce accessible for ranged units.

Speaking of Minerva: My incredible luck with melee flyers continues and I pulled an +ATK/-DEF Minerva this morning. I'll keep my +SPD/-HP copy, but I'm unsure if to give her a merge for +1 SPD or use the spare one as LnD fodder. 

My rule regarding a good offensive unit with +Atk and +Spd is to raise both, unless you're really short on barracks space.  I can do some independent benchmark testing, among other things!

2 minutes ago, eclipse said:

My rule regarding a good offensive unit with +Atk and +Spd is to raise both, unless you're really short on barracks space.  I can do some independent benchmark testing, among other things!

Why would I keep one unit I probably won't use instead of making another stronger? 

Just now, mampfoid said:

Why would I keep one unit I probably won't use instead of making another stronger? 

You never, ever know when you'll want +Atk over +Spd and vice versa.  But that's just me (as I've had a couple of GHBs won because of a certain boon).

8 minutes ago, eclipse said:

You never, ever know when you'll want +Atk over +Spd and vice versa.  But that's just me (as I've had a couple of GHBs won because of a certain boon).

Hmm, that's true. I'll keep her for a while. Minerva has maxed HM, she doesn't need the merge immediately. 

I have a similar dilemma with Sigurd: I gave my +RES/-DEF copy Distant Counter and he became a great green mage counter. He even counters some lower merged Reinhardts. The last legendary Banner gave me a +ATK/-RES Sigurd, which is a bad nature for his mage counter job. 

Just now, mampfoid said:

Hmm, that's true. I'll keep her for a while. Minerva has maxed HM, she doesn't need the merge immediately. 

I have a similar dilemma with Sigurd: I gave my +RES/-DEF copy Distant Counter and he became a great green mage counter. He even counters some lower merged Reinhardts. The last legendary Banner gave me a +ATK/-RES Sigurd, which is a bad nature for his mage counter job. 

Two different Sigurds, two different jobs.  I have a +Atk/-Spd Sigurd, and his current job is to run up, kill something, absorb every last hit, then have the rest of the team catch up and beat things up.  It works well so far.  Needless to say, he's a little hopeless at tanking, since more things double him.

15 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Two different Sigurds, two different jobs.  I have a +Atk/-Spd Sigurd, and his current job is to run up, kill something, absorb every last hit, then have the rest of the team catch up and beat things up.  It works well so far.  Needless to say, he's a little hopeless at tanking, since more things double him.

He maxed HM some time ago, in AA I only need him for mage baiting and my other sword Cavs (Roy, Siegbert, Xander, Eldigan, soon also Eliwood and Cain) are pretty good. On the other hand his Speed Smoke (sounds like something from Breaking Bad) and Close Defense are good and rare skills for SI. 

I was considering to give BH!Roy Speed Smoke, since he is the only Cav on my Arena Core team. In the end I will ponder forever and have these spare copies sitting in my baracks like those of BH!Lyn and Celica.

35 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

The last legendary Banner gave me a +ATK/-RES Sigurd, which is a bad nature for his mage counter job.

If you are fast enough to avoid being double attacked, [+Atk, -Res] is actually great for the job because the -4 Res is only +2 damage taken instead of +4 damage taken, and it doesn't sacrifice your ability to tank melee hits.

19 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

If you are fast enough to avoid being double attacked, [+Atk, -Res] is actually great for the job because the -4 Res is only +2 damage taken instead of +4 damage taken, and it doesn't sacrifice your ability to tank melee hits.

It's -7 RES in comparison to the +RES copy and 8 if you consider WTA. 

He tanks +10 green mages in AA, he gets almost always doubled. If the opposing mage is a fully buffed Gronnblade user, Sigurd needs to kill him with the first hit, because the damage reduction for the second hit doesn't work (because of DC). 

Hmm, perhaps +ATK is really better, because it raises his chances to kill on the first hit. 

Edited by mampfoid

4 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

It's -7 RES in comparison to the +RES copy and 8 if you consider WTA. 

Res isn't affected by the weapon triangle. -7 Res is always +7 damage (+3.5 damage with Divine Tyrfing for the first hit) regardless of if the opponent has advantage or disadvantage.

The main thing about percentage damage mitigation skills is that it decreases the value of the relevant defensive stat and increases the relative value of HP. Each additional point of Res only mitigates 0.5 damage for the first hit against Divine Tyrfing, whereas each additional point of HP mitigates 1 damage. (This is also why Seliph is so good at using Divine Tyrfing; he has a lot of HP.)

And as you did mention, against fully buffed Gronnblade+ users, your priority when running a Distant Counter build should be to kill in a single hit because you likely aren't surviving the second hit.

Are there 240 SP skills for A and C slot which aren't from 5* exclusive units? I know that for B there are things such as WoM, ER and Poison Strike, but I was wondering for the other slots in order to make some 4*+10 arena bonus units. In A, all I can think are dual blows (Sturdy Blow, Swift Sparrow...) and I think only Sturdy Blow could be got by upgrading a 4* to 5*, the others I think were from 5* exclusive units

5 hours ago, Javi Blizz said:

Are there 240 SP skills for A and C slot which aren't from 5* exclusive units? I know that for B there are things such as WoM, ER and Poison Strike, but I was wondering for the other slots in order to make some 4*+10 arena bonus units. In A, all I can think are dual blows (Sturdy Blow, Swift Sparrow...) and I think only Sturdy Blow could be got by upgrading a 4* to 5*, the others I think were from 5* exclusive units

Here is a list of passive skills from the wiki.

As you said, Sturdy Blow 2 is the only A skill that is not exclusive to a 5* unit.

Drive Spd and Drive Res are fully unlockable at 4*.

Spur Spd/Def 2 and Drive Def 2 are not on 5* exclusive characters, but they are 5* exclusive skills.

Edited by XRay

What's the best special for a +Atk Minerva? I'm thinking about keeping Life and Death on her, and I'm currently running Vantage.

I could play around with Heavy Blade seal, but I can't afford Aether or Galeforce yet, so what's a good special in general?

33 minutes ago, Tragonight said:

What's the best special for a +Atk Minerva? I'm thinking about keeping Life and Death on her, and I'm currently running Vantage.

I could play around with Heavy Blade seal, but I can't afford Aether or Galeforce yet, so what's a good special in general?

Player Phase units should run Moonbow. Since Minerva is using Hauteclere, she should use a 3 cool down Special (Luna) instead. If she is using Heavy Blade as well, then she should run a 4 cool down Special (Dragon Fang) or Galeforce.

If you are going for Galeforce, then you need to take out Vantage and run Desperation, as well as using Speed Refinement instead of unique Refinement.

I do not recommend using Aether since the cool down takes too long.

Is there someone you are trying to counter with Vantage? If not, then I would remove it. Vantage is super niche skill for either countering specific enemies or as part of a Close Counter-Vantage set. I would go for Desperation or a Breaker instead to compliment her role as a Player Phase unit more.

Edited by XRay

32 minutes ago, XRay said:

Player Phase units should run Moonbow. Since Minerva is using Hauteclere, she should use a 3 cool down Special (Luna) instead. If she is using Heavy Blade as well, then she should run a 4 cool down Special (Dragon Fang) or Galeforce.

If you are going for Galeforce, then you need to take out Vantage and run Desperation, as well as using Speed Refinement instead of unique Refinement.

I do not recommend using Aether since the cool down takes too long.

Is there someone you are trying to counter with Vantage? If not, then I would remove it. Vantage is super niche skill for either countering specific enemies or as part of a Close Counter-Vantage set. I would go for Desperation or a Breaker instead to compliment her role as a Player Phase unit more.

I don't think I'll give her Galeforce for a while, so I just want a damage special for now. I used Vantage because I thought it synergized with Hauteclere and the lowered cooldown, ie. nuking enemies in one hit, although it hasn't been that useful for me. I want to use the Wo Dao refinement for Hauteclere. I'll be pulling her out in Arena Assault mostly, so she won't always have Heavy Blade seal. I know this makes a big difference for choosing a special...

Might be a dumb question, but why Luna over Draconic Aura? She is +Atk and will have some sort of buff a majority of the time.

For B slot, what's the best breaker skill for her? Or is Desperation just flat-out better? I want to distinguish her from Cherche, who's heavily player phase oriented as well, and that was part of the reason why I originally gave Minerva Vantage.

1 hour ago, Tragonight said:

Might be a dumb question, but why Luna over Draconic Aura? She is +Atk and will have some sort of buff a majority of the time.

Draconic Aura off of 60 Atk (34 base with +Atk, +16 for Hauteclere, +6 for Hone Fliers, +4 for Goad Fliers) is 18 damage, which is equivalent to Luna against an opponent with 36 Def.

60 Atk hitting twice against an opponent with 36 Def is 24 + 24 + 18 = 66 damage, which means Luna's lower damage against opponents with less Def is irrelevant because the opponent is dead.

Draconic Aura off of 56 Atk (no Goad Fliers) is 16 damage, which is equivalent to Luna against an opponent with 32 Def.

56 Atk hitting twice against an opponent with 32 Def is 24 + 24 + 16 = 64 damage, which again means Luna's lower damage against opponents with less Def is irrelevant.

1 hour ago, Tragonight said:

I don't think I'll give her Galeforce for a while, so I just want a damage special for now. I used Vantage because I thought it synergized with Hauteclere and the lowered cooldown, ie. nuking enemies in one hit, although it hasn't been that useful for me. I want to use the Wo Dao refinement for Hauteclere. I'll be pulling her out in Arena Assault mostly, so she won't always have Heavy Blade seal. I know this makes a big difference for choosing a special...

For B slot, what's the best breaker skill for her? Or is Desperation just flat-out better? I want to distinguish her from Cherche, who's heavily player phase oriented as well, and that was part of the reason why I originally gave Minerva Vantage.

I will have to check on Draconic Aura, but Luna generally has better performance. +Atk usually is not enough to warrant Draconic Aura in my opinion since Draconic Aura only does 30% of your Attack stat, which is very low.

Desperation is generally better for faster units. Killing things in two hits without an enemy counter attack in between is very powerful. If you are going for Desperation, you may want to consider Moonbow over Luna/Draconic Aura; with only 1 cool down and once Desperation is active, Minerva can still activate a Special every round of combat.

Edit:

Here are the results. Luna slightly outperforms Draconic Aura. I guess you can go with whichever is cheaper if you do not mind the slight drop in performance for Draconic Aura.

Minerva +Atk -Res (I am assuming -Res.)
Hauteclere [Effect]
Life and Death, Desperation

Player Phase [Luna] 129:4:71
Player Phase [Draconic Aura] 129:4:71
Player Phase [Luna, Enemies with Fury Overwrite] 92:7:105
Player Phase [Draconic Aura, Enemies with Fury Overwrite] 91:7:106

Player Phase [Luna, Merge +10] 111:4:89
Player Phase [Draconic Aura, Merge +10] 110:4:90
Player Phase [Luna, Enemies with Fury Overwrite, Merge +10] 80:5:119
Player Phase [Draconic Aura, Enemies with Fury Overwrite, Merge +10] 78:5:121

Edited by XRay

I haven't used Slayer weapons before, but they seem quite potent now. Assuming I want to give a slayer weapon to someone who doesn't yet have one, and my source unit only has access to Killer, is there a more time- and SP-efficient way to do this than the following?

1. Promote source unit to 5*

2. Have the destination unit inherit Killer and Killer+, then learn those (750 SP)

3. Upgrade Killer+ to Slayer+ at the weapon refinery (450 SP)

4. Upgrade Slayer+ with chosen upgrade (525 SP)

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I haven't used Slayer weapons before, but they seem quite potent now. Assuming I want to give a slayer weapon to someone who doesn't yet have one, and my source unit only has access to Killer, is there a more time- and SP-efficient way to do this than the following?

1. Promote source unit to 5*

2. Have the destination unit inherit Killer and Killer+, then learn those (750 SP)

3. Upgrade Killer+ to Slayer+ at the weapon refinery (450 SP)

4. Upgrade Slayer+ with chosen upgrade (525 SP)

That is the currently the best way.

If the source unit already comes with Slaying Weapons, then you can skip step 3, but that is pretty much it.

Testing Blizzard's effect on Story 2-2-3 Lunatic.

Gwendolyn with Panic Ploy 3 and Gunnthra with her vanilla skill set are positioned to hit Soleil and the Green Mage with Res Ploy 3 and Panic Ploy 3 as they round the corner over the bridge, and the Green mage is hit by Chilling Seal.

Gunnthra has 42 Atk with Blizzard.

The Green Mage has

• -6 Atk due to Panicked (Gwendolyn) Atk Tactic 3 (Siegbert)
  • -6 Atk due to Chilling Seal (Gunnthra)
  • -6 Spd due to Chilling Seal (Gunnthra)
  • -5 Res due to Res Ploy 3 (Gunnthra)
  • +3 Res due to Drive Res 2 (Soleil)
  • +2 Atk/Spd/Def/Res due to Gronnowl+ (adjacent to Soleil)

Its displayed Res is 24 and is 29 in combat. Total of penalties is 17. Total of penalties and negative bonuses is 23.

Gunnthra should deal 30 damage if negative bonuses are not counted and 36 damage if negative bonuses are counted.

Gunnthra deals 30 damage.

Conclusion: Blizzard's effect only counts proper penalties. Panicked bonuses do not count.

EDIT: Wrong thread, but okay. Whatever.

Edited by Ice Dragon

I have a fully built Bike. I don't use him much anymore since he is maxed HM and well fully built.

I don't know when or if ever I will get another Bike as I have never pulled him (I have 2+ of every other brave hero trying to snipe him...). I really want to give Steady Breath to one of my dragons. But sac'ing my only fully built and highly invested Bike saddens me. Should I do it?

Edited by Clogon

47 minutes ago, Clogon said:

I have a fully built Bike. I don't use him much anymore since he is maxed HM and well fully built.

I don't know when or if ever I will get another Bike as I have never pulled him (I have 2+ of every other brave hero trying to snipe him...). I really want to give Steady Breath to one of my dragons. But sac'ing my only fully built and highly invested Bike saddens me. Should I do it?

Do not. There's no reason to get rid of a perfectly good unit with their own niche in the game unless they actively are losing you games.