Fire Emblem Heroes Player Spends $1,000 and Still Doesn't Have Every Character

Randoman

30 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Welcome to gacha.  This is unsurprising, and what's worse is that this is on the low side, in terms of spending.

Yeah I know many a person who spent way more on stuff like Dragon Ball Dokkan, or Granblue.

2 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

So the game actually did turn out to be IS take on Final Fantasy: All The Bravest. Makes sense, seeing how they were perfectly happy to sell cheat codes for the last two games.

I don't understand this, could you elaborate?

4 minutes ago, Birdy said:

I don't understand this, could you elaborate?

Final Fantasy: All the Bravest was Square Enix attempt to cash in on the microtransactions business. It required you to spend money for a random chance to get the classic Final Fantasy characters you want, as well as requiring you to pay in order to keep playing the game if you didn't want to spend hours of real world time until you're characters recover.

Edited by BrightBow

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

Final Fantasy: All the Bravest was Square Enix attempt to cash in on the microtransactions business. It required you to spend money for a random chance to get the character you want, as well as requiring you to pay in order to keep playing the game if you didn't want to spend hours of real world time until you're characters recover.

Ah, I see the similarities you're putting forward. With selling cheatcodes, did you mean the buyable DLC in Fates and Awakening that can give you EXP, Gil, weapons and more?

6 minutes ago, Birdy said:

Ah, I see the similarities you're putting forward. With selling cheatcodes, did you mean the buyable DLC in Fates and Awakening that can give you EXP, Gil, weapons and more?

Yes. It follows the same logic of spending money to keep playing. Just that in Awakening you had to do tedious and pointless busywork instead of being able to simply wait and do something more productive or fun with your time. Except for weapon duplicates, which you can't get no matter what unless you spend real money on stuff already in the game.

Edited by BrightBow

This sounds about right with gacha mechanics in general.

I used to play Vindictus a lot and most of the vanity armors (especially the popular ones) were locked behind Gachapons (and RNG). Needless to say, some players would spend hundreds of dollars and still not obtain what they were looking for.

This is why I support having a parallel system to the RNG that allows players to reduce RNG or outright eliminate it, but at a higher cost. (Say spend $10 for 5 random heroes, or pay $5 for a guaranteed 5* hero of your choice.) However, the motivation behind gacha games is to keep gambling I doubt such a system will ever get added. Gacha games have to have good enough rates for players to gamble, but have it low enough so players can fail and keep rolling the dice.

18 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Yeah I know many a person who spent way more on stuff like Dragon Ball Dokkan, or Granblue.

Let me explain a few things about how a slightly different game works (Kingdom Hearts Unchained):

Certain promotional medals are available, but the odds of pulling them are really low.  However, if you went in nine times and didn't get the promotion medal, you'd get it on your tenth shot.  Not bad, right?

Enter the guilt system - in order to make your medals hit really hard, you need seven copies of it.  Now, combine that with what I said above. . .and you're looking at $1,400 to get a fully guilted promotion medal.  There are people who do this, per promotion medal, which changes something like every other week.

The mercy pull has been dropped to five, but that's still $700 for a guilted medal.  Which is way more than I'm willing to pay, full stop.

And worst of all, I don't think Unchained has the worst gacha system.  But that's an example of one, and why I think the guy in the article is on the low side.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-09/-6-065-hunt-for-blonde-avatar-exposes-dark-side-of-japan-gaming

Never forget Granblue Fantasy.  I honestly feel bad for whales, as they're being exploited for something that is essentially worthless.

I don't think Unchained X is that bad, especially considering how generous Square is with giving out gems. I have several guilted medals and I haven't spent a dime just from how much they give out for free and from chapter clears. That is, unless you REALLY want one of the promo medals. 

As someone who's played way too many gacha games, the way to go is to reroll until you start off with something you like tbh. After traumatic Love Live! experiences, I'm never again spending money on a mobile games lmao. Oftentimes you'll get better results with things you haven't paid anything for than the stuff you bought if you reroll for them. 

Yeah...think I'm gonna stick to the free route. Out of the 20 times I've rolled for characters, I've gotten mostly new ones everytime yet I still can't Lyn for the life of me. And characters like Fir are doing great for me!

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

Welcome to gacha.  This is unsurprising, and what's worse is that this is on the low side, in terms of spending.

Da heck?! :blink: 

...And I wonder why I stick away from stuff like this usually. Microtransactions getting these people money!

Much as I want characters like Lyn, I think I'll wait and just save my free orbs for another shot(I ain't that desperate)...

13 minutes ago, Ciarre said:

I don't think Unchained X is that bad, especially considering how generous Square is with giving out gems. I have several guilted medals and I haven't spent a dime just from how much they give out for free and from chapter clears. That is, unless you REALLY want one of the promo medals. 

As someone who's played way too many gacha games, the way to go is to reroll until you start off with something you like tbh. After traumatic Love Live! experiences, I'm never again spending money on a mobile games lmao. Oftentimes you'll get better results with things you haven't paid anything for than the stuff you bought if you reroll for them. 

Event medals got better.  The scenario I'm talking about are guilted premiums, and THAT is going to cost a lot.  And yes, there are people that do it.  Check out the top 10 rankings for the next HSC to see what I mean.

As for whether to spend money or not, It Depends.  Some people think it is, some don't.  I'd definitely sit on four-digit dollars, though, because that could go towards things like rent/food/bills.  If I had the disposable income, it would be a lot more tempting.

I can see me doing that just for one 3 star Oboro thanks to the RNG  :sob:

Years ago I played a japanese gatcha game in my cellphone, but the game allowed you to get one try in the gatcha for free every day, but only for bronce and silver character, also the game give you stars every lv for trying for a gold character... I dunno, but maybe Heroes can implement that? Like give one orb to open every day, and if you want a full session to increase the rate of 5* characters, then you use/buy orbs... Ah I'm just dreaming, since this sounds impossible haha