What if there was a Dragon Lord, lord?

SavageVolug

Something I was thinking of recently is that a lot of the lords could easily be put into various classes that already exist. Lyn is basically a swordmaster, Eliwood and Ephraim are paladins upon promotion, Ike and Hector are very similar to the Hero class, Micaih is a mage, Sigrun is another paladin and Corrin is either a manakete or laguz lord. What if there was a lord who was in the Draco Rider class and we give him/her an axe that does bonus damage on cavalry and armored units. Much like Eliwood's rapier, Lynn's Mani Katti ect. I don't know how well this would work but Draco Riders are one of my favorite units along with heroes and warriors. This would make for some very interesting battles like sky battles, not to mention having great movement across deserts and forests. What do you all think of this and what are some types of lords you would like to see? When I say lord I'm talking about the protagonist of the game, so Camilla from Fates doesn't count.

Busterman64 That would be ABSOLUTELY AWESOME. The Dark mage lord I mean, those are my favorite mages in the history of FE. If that was done I would want the mage to have ridiculous magic caps, and for Dark magic to reign supreme. Give him a tome that destroys knights, cavaliers, and Pegasus knights.

I really want it to happen and it would be quite beastly.

Hopefully his a low tier noble and works his way up.

That being said. Say RIP when you see Archer. (Not like they gonna give u fili shield in day 1)

2 hours ago, Ryuke said:

That being said. Say RIP when you see Archer. (Not like they gonna give u fili shield in day 1)

Ryuke, yeah archers could definitely be a problem for a Dragon Lord, lord. Unless of course they allowed the lord to learn Nullify or Iotes Shield by default (no reclassing) or did what Radiant Dawn did with they're dragon units and make them immune to arrows. Draco Riders were still vulnerable to magic though and especially thunder magic and wyrmslayers, I always thought this was sort of on the realistic angle. At least when one thinks of the toughness of a dragon's scales plus the armor that was seen on these dragons with RD's draco rider models. If you look up Haar, on Fire Emblem wiki and then look at Dragon lord you should see what I mean. I would defiantly want him to be low tier though and work his or her way up, like any good lord. Although I hope if this is ever done that the lord would learn stun in his/her final class.

@SavageVolug Haha. Jill looks soft.

Hate to say it though. Dragon (Wyvern) is basically just Cavalier with more strength less res growth and can bypass terrains. Given FE8 Eirika and Ephraim gain a horse when they promote... I feel like your character starts off as a regular lord and then becomes some Wyvern Master (To compensate for crappy res since its the MC ... make the wyvern undergo Pegasus training... lol)

As I initially brought this up in the FE Switch thread I am of course in favour of this idea. Particularly if they go full haul with it and place the protagonist in a country like Thracia where scarce resources and dangerous terrain have shaped the culture.

Another thing to consider is that giving the lord flight utility would kind of trivialise seize chapters as the lord can manoeuvre the map much easier. Though I guess some might consider that a good thing and seize hasn't really been around since New Mystery.

That would be pretty cool. Though since wyvern riders are generally used in FE by the "evil" faction/kingdom...we might not be getting one anytime soon.

Giving us one would break that trend, so it would be pretty interesting. Then again, that weakness to bows, wind magic (and possibly thunder magic) would be annoying.

On 2/15/2017 at 4:32 PM, Ryuke said:

Ryuke, yeah archers could definitely be a problem for a Dragon Lord, lord. Unless of course they allowed the lord to learn Nullify or Iotes Shield by default (no reclassing) or did what Radiant Dawn did with they're dragon units and make them immune to arrows. Draco Riders were still vulnerable to magic though and especially thunder magic and wyrmslayers, I always thought this was sort of on the realistic angle. At least when one thinks of the toughness of a dragon's scales plus the armor that was seen on these dragons with RD's draco rider models. If you look up Haar, on Fire Emblem wiki and then look at Dragon lord you should see what I mean. I would defiantly want him to be low tier though and work his or her way up, like any good lord. Although I hope if this is ever done that the lord would learn stun in his/her final class.

24 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

That would be pretty cool. Though since wyvern riders are generally used in FE by the "evil" faction/kingdom...we might not be getting one anytime soon.

Giving us one would break that trend, so it would be pretty interesting. Then again, that weakness to bows, wind magic (and possibly thunder magic) would be annoying.

Extrasolar, what do you mean wyvern riders are usually used by the "evil" faction/kingdom? I'm not sure if I'm following what you're saying here, although I have only played a small handful of FE games so maybe that's why, or maybe I'm overlooking a detail. I know Haar and Jill were both Daein wyverns which was the evil kingdom in PoR but not in RD (at least not in the beginning). RD is the title I have played the most, Cherche was from a kingdom that was conquered by the Valm empire, and I think Heath in Blazing Sword was from Bern ( I might be wrong about that detail though) and while Bern was the evil kingdom of the game. Kind of like the Begnion of the game, Dorcas the fighter is stated to have been from Bern as well. I'm just a little confused here.

The weakness to bows, wind magic, and thunder depends on the game. In Rd, thunder magic was their only weakness along with dragon slayers (no suprise there), arrows were not anymore effective against them than any other weapon. I think they would have to reuse this idea if a dragon lord type of class was used fro the lord of the game, or alternatlively allow him/her to learn a skill that would negate one of these weakesses. Such as learning Iotes' Shield or Nullify.

7 minutes ago, SavageVolug said:

Extrasolar, what do you mean wyvern riders are usually used by the "evil" faction/kingdom? I'm not sure if I'm following what you're saying here, although I have only played a small handful of FE games so maybe that's why, or maybe I'm overlooking a detail. I know Haar and Jill were both Daein wyverns which was the evil kingdom in PoR but not in RD (at least not in the beginning). RD is the title I have played the most, Cherche was from a kingdom that was conquered by the Valm empire, and I think Heath in Blazing Sword was from Bern ( I might be wrong about that detail though) and while Bern was the evil kingdom of the game. Kind of like the Begnion of the game, Dorcas the fighter is stated to have been from Bern as well. I'm just a little confused here.

The weakness to bows, wind magic, and thunder depends on the game. In Rd, thunder magic was their only weakness along with dragon slayers (no suprise there), arrows were not anymore effective against them than any other weapon. I think they would have to reuse this idea if a dragon lord type of class was used fro the lord of the game, or alternatlively allow him/her to learn a skill that would negate one of these weakesses. Such as learning Iotes' Shield or Nullify.

For the most part, wyvern riders are a big staple of the armies of the antagonistic/"evil" kingdoms, from Medon, to Thracia, to Daein, to Bern, to Nohr and all of that, while Pegasus Knights are normally used by the "good" kingdoms like Talys, Crimea, Hoshido, and all of that.The dragon riders even tend to be wearing darker armor than the pegasus riders, and they're usually riding dark-colored dragons. It's all design.

I'm not saying that the entire kingdoms are evil or everyone within them are evil, but that's how they're portrayed in-narrative. We get lots of allied units from the "evil countries," with Haar and Jill being the standouts in my mind, considering how often I've played RD and POR. In fact, RD changed things up a lot, putting the central focus on the "evil" kingdom from the previous game, to the point that you have to fight for its freedom. In an FE context, that was mind-blowing, and doesn't get as much recognition as it deserves, due to RD being controversial in a lot of aspects.

Edited by Extrasolar

Extrasolar, Oh, ok. Right, I see what you're saying now. Like I said I have only played a few games in the series mainly due to not having the necessary console for a lot of the games I want to play. I have recently though discovered a means by which I can play some of the older games in the series on the laptop. So I intend to play as many of the older titles as I can, still looking forward to Echoes though.

Draco-lord?  Seems overpowered...  I mean, just look at how amazing all the other Draco's are!  Harr (FE 10), Minerva (FE 12), Altena, Melady, the list goes on!  What I'd like to see, like what I've stated on 2 other topics [and in the video below my post] is a bow lord.  Who is also a criminal.  Like, a swift archer type with a record that needs a little scrub-a-dub-dub.  Why bows?  Why not?  Just make him/her have a good personal struggle to even out the grey morality, slap a bow on him/her and boom!  Archer lord from the start.  It's classic fire emblem lord-ship, with a twist.

Here's the video.  WARNING.  CRINGE-WORTHY COMMENTARY.  Proceed at your own risk

Spoiler

P.S. : I finally figured out how the spoiler tags work!

As cool as this would be, I don't really see this ever happening for balancing reasons. Wyvern units are typically quite strong by virtue of their flight and tankiness, and most games have them appearing pretty late in (Fates is the soonest that I've ever seen them show up-- Beruka and, depending on when you get him, Percy). Having a wyvern right off the bat kind of trivializes the necessity to learn terrain and map movement, so I can't imagine they would ever actually do this, beyond what was possible in Fates (with the ability to switch classes right after the route split). What's more, wyverns also have the matters of their arrow/magic weakness to consider, and new players may not be prepared to have to deal with such polarizing abilities on their primary character. If you look at the other Lord characters, pretty much all of them are basic infantry with no real weaknesses to watch out for, barring Corrin (wyrmslayers, which are mercifully uncommon after chapter 5) and Sigurd (though I don't know if anti-cavalry weapons were a thing in that game) in their base classes.

What I COULD see happening is maybe a character beginning as an infantry unit, and gaining a wyvern upon promotion-- that could certainly be fitting and cool, and would give the player a sense of earned empowerment for getting far enough to unlock the privilege of their lord/MC becoming a wyvern rider.

EDIT: I do like @Lord Tullus's idea of an archer lord, I actually thought about doing something like that myself haha.

Incidentally, I did both of these ideas in separate runs of Fates (Archer!Corrin and a Corrin who starts as an Oni Savage, promotes to Chief, then goes Malig Knight shortly afterward xD for similar reasons of character progression/headcanon/etc.)

Edited by BANRYU

59 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

As cool as this would be, I don't really see this ever happening for balancing reasons. Wyvern units are typically quite strong by virtue of their flight and tankiness, and most games have them appearing pretty late in (Fates is the soonest that I've ever seen them show up-- Beruka and, depending on when you get him, Percy). Having a wyvern right off the bat kind of trivializes the necessity to learn terrain and map movement, so I can't imagine they would ever actually do this, beyond what was possible in Fates (with the ability to switch classes right after the route split). What's more, wyverns also have the matters of their arrow/magic weakness to consider, and new players may not be prepared to have to deal with such polarizing abilities on their primary character. If you look at the other Lord characters, pretty much all of them are basic infantry with no real weaknesses to watch out for, barring Corrin (wyrmslayers, which are mercifully uncommon after chapter 5) and Sigurd (though I don't know if anti-cavalry weapons were a thing in that game) in their base classes.

What I COULD see happening is maybe a character beginning as an infantry unit, and gaining a wyvern upon promotion-- that could certainly be fitting and cool, and would give the player a sense of earned empowerment for getting far enough to unlock the privilege of their lord/MC becoming a wyvern rider.

EDIT: I do like @Lord Tullus's idea of an archer lord, I actually thought about doing something like that myself haha.

Incidentally, I did both of these ideas in separate runs of Fates (Archer!Corrin and a Corrin who starts as an Oni Savage, promotes to Chief, then goes Malig Knight shortly afterward xD for similar reasons of character progression/headcanon/etc.)

Jill joins about the same time as Beruka in Path of Radiance and comes even earlier at chapter 5 in Radiant Dawn. You can class change promoted units into Wyvern's almost immediately in the DS games. I know I did for Arran. Flying Jeigan!

Edited by Jotari

Just now, Jotari said:

Jill joins about the same time as Beruka in Path of Radiance and comes even earlier at chapter 5 in Radiant Dawn.

I stand corrected x3x is my lack of having played PoR showing whoops I don't recall her joining that early in RD though :0 Or at least having much opportunity to be used until later in the game....? It's been a while though so I may be remembering wrong.

I guess I'm just thinking of the GBA games + Awakening, haha ;;

14 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

I stand corrected x3x is my lack of having played PoR showing whoops I don't recall her joining that early in RD though :0 Or at least having much opportunity to be used until later in the game....? It's been a while though so I may be remembering wrong.

I guess I'm just thinking of the GBA games + Awakening, haha ;;

She's part of the Dawn Brigade team in Radiant Dawn.  Available from chapter 6 to endgame of part 1. I think she can even be recruited to Ike's side using Haar. Overall the same amount of availability as Zihark which isn't lacking at all really. Minerva also joins in chapter 10 in Shadow Dragon and Miledy in Sword of Seals joins in Chapter 13. Cormag chapter 10 or 13 depending on the lord. Heath is up there at 22 but if you take into account the Lyn chapters it's around the same as everyone else. So really Beruka's join time is only a bit below standard for Wyvern riders. It just feels a lot sooner due to the prologue before the route split taking up six chapters that can be automatically skipped on repeat playthroughs.

Edited by Jotari

I thought of an idea for an FE game that would take place during the story of Anri, Marth's ancestor. It would have two lords: Anri and Iote (the ancestor of the Macedon royal family). Iote would have been a wyvern rider; the story being that he tamed an orphaned wyvern while a slave of the Dolhr Empire, and taught some of the other slaves how to do the same after starting a rebellion in what would become Macedon.