Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

6 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

But you still are trying to do your best on a given week, what exactly is so different?

You get penalized and demoted for a bad week, whereas before there was no holdover from week to week.  One you get to a certain tier, it becomes literally impossible to move up, unless you whale out and have +10 mergers for everybody.

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

But you still are trying to do your best on a given week, what exactly is so different?

I don't try to do my best on any given week anymore. Right now, I'm in Tier 19, but I don't think I'm capable of getting a score above 4850, so I haven't even bothered trying for a deathless run: all that mattered was getting a score above 4000 for the offense points. Next week, I'll be back in Tier 18 and probably be able to move back up to 19 without needing a deathless run.

13 minutes ago, Othin said:

I don't try to do my best on any given week anymore. Right now, I'm in Tier 19, but I don't think I'm capable of getting a score above 4850, so I haven't even bothered trying for a deathless run: all that mattered was getting a score above 4000 for the offense points. Next week, I'll be back in Tier 18 and probably be able to move back up to 19 without needing a deathless run.

If last week is any indication, 4850 (or even a score in the 4830s) is enough to get you into Tier 20. 

2 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

If last week is any indication, 4850 (or even a score in the 4830s) is enough to get you into Tier 20. 

Really? Huh, well then.

1 minute ago, Othin said:

Really? Huh, well then.

The problem isn't so much getting into Tier 20 but staying in there. 

Getting into 20 isn't as bad because most of the whales are already in 20, so you aren't competing with them to get in. But once you're in 20, you're actively competing with all of the whales, which makes not getting knocked back out way harder than just getting in. 

I don't anticipate ever getting enough merges to actively compete, so I'll probably spend the rest of my days bouncing back between 19 and 20. 

7 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

The problem isn't so much getting into Tier 20 but staying in there. 

Getting into 20 isn't as bad because most of the whales are already in 20, so you aren't competing with them to get in. But once you're in 20, you're actively competing with all of the whales, which makes not getting knocked back out way harder than just getting in. 

I don't anticipate ever getting enough merges to actively compete, so I'll probably spend the rest of my days bouncing back between 19 and 20. 

Yeah. My understanding is that eventually, Tier 20 will grow to over 10k players, letting a few thousand stay in it week to week, so there will be a decent amount of room for non-whales then. But it's nowhere near that point yet.

Burned six swords to get a deathless run and ended up with 4832 points and a rank of 2672, already well short of the 2391 cutoff.

I've gotten better scores, but I don't feel like spending the time and swords to try for one, so I'm back to calling this week a bust.

1 hour ago, Othin said:

Really? Huh, well then.

Yuppers, I got into Tier 20 last week with a score of 4832.  I was a few hundred ranks above the cut-off.

---

I didn't even try this week cause I'm headed down to 19 anyway, which is fine cause I'm happy enough I made it here in the first place! 

I have 4820 deathless (didn't waste my swords fishing for better scores this time).  I'm at rank 1271/2057 in Tier 20.  617 people get to stay.  Team was my usual Ryoma, Hector, Reinhardt (+1 now!), and Olivia.

Sad that Olivia is not a bonus hero anymore next week.  :-_-:

Also, congrats on #1, Ice Dragon!  That's awesome! :D:

Just now, Infinite Dreams said:

Yuppers, I got into Tier 20 last week with a score of 4832.  I was a few hundred ranks above the cut-off.

---

I didn't even try this week cause I'm headed down to 19 anyway, which is fine cause I'm happy enough I made it here in the first place! 

I have 4820 deathless (didn't waste my swords fishing for better scores this time).  I'm at rank 1271/2057 in Tier 20.  617 people get to stay.  Team was my usual Ryoma, Hector, Reinhardt (+1 now!), and Olivia.

Sad that Olivia is not a bonus hero anymore next week.  :-_-:

Also, congrats on #1, Ice Dragon!  That's awesome! :D:

So the 19>20 point threshold has increased compared to last week? That's odd.

Just now, Othin said:

I think it's because when the system first changed to tiers, some high scoring people jumped up 2 ranks from Tier 16 to 18, and then dropped down from 18 to 17 because of the tough competition with the whales.  I only moved up 1 rank to 17 (instead of 2 to 18), and I steadily increased each week, never having to compete with those people who originally jumped up 2 ranks and then dropped, because they were still 1 rank behind.  Those guys are in Tier 19 now, which is why it's harder there now than last week.

Currently sitting at a 4170 score with one more battle to complete a deathless run, hoping to pull 696 or greater score. I had previously given up on moving to Tier 20 but I heard from my friend and the forums that 4860 is about where the cutoff is to move up, so I threw away the rest of my swords to get this score together. Hoping I can get a good roll in the three free swords from tomorrow! And then start rebuilding a sword stock as I just oscillate between the top 3 tiers... :P:

36 minutes ago, Othin said:

I think @Infinite Dreams is right. I'm a small whale and when the system first changed, I went up every week until I hit tier 18. There like 2000 people there and it was filles with big whales so I didn't make the cut. Only got back in the tier this week and Im pretty sure plenty of smaller whales experienced the same thing as me.

Tier 19 score of 4856 (New career high! No deaths; no surrenders; 690, 696, 692, 698, 690, 690, 700; Nowi +2, Sharena 5*, Eirika, Nino +3):

• Jun 15 12:35AM PT - #703 (/2271 to Tier 20)
  • Jun 15 4:00PM PT - #1104 (/2305 to Tier 20)
  • Jun 16 4:00PM PT - #1387 (/2346 to Tier 20)
  • Jun 17 4:15PM PT - #1684 (/2370 to Tier 20)
  • Jun 18 3:00PM PT - #1912 (/2392 to Tier 20)

Hmmm, somewhat slower drop than usual today. I think that makes me relatively safe unless today through Monday goes absolutely berserk.

3 minutes ago, Zeo said:

What are the orb+feather rewards for tiers 17, 18, 19 and 20, respectively?

T17 : 3 orbs + 1700 feathers
T18 : 4 orbs + 1800 feathers
T19 : 4 orbs + 2000 feathers
T20 : 4 orbs + 3000 feathers

1 minute ago, LuxSpes said:

T17 : 3 orbs + 1700 feathers
T18 : 4 orbs + 1800 feathers
T19 : 4 orbs + 2000 feathers
T20 : 4 orbs + 3000 feathers

The extra 1000 from 20 is just not fair...

I just realized how glad I am that I'm promoting to T20 next season. The map rotation is going to be the second set of Defense tile maps, which I abhor, but considering my chances of staying in T20 next season are extremely slim, I don't need to complete a deathless run and can instead only focus on getting an offense score above 4k, which will be much easier.

4 hours ago, Zeo said:

The extra 1000 from 20 is just not fair...

It's the highest tier. 

If the feather rewards were any less, there wouldn't be much motivation for people to even try for it. 

I, for one, am just happy that this is a game where you can be completely F2P and still make it into the highest competitive tier and get the best rewards instead of this being a P2W game like some other gachas. 

8 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

It's the highest tier. 

If the feather rewards were any less, there wouldn't be much motivation for people to even try for it. 

I, for one, am just happy that this is a game where you can be completely F2P and still make it into the highest competitive tier and get the best rewards instead of this being a P2W game like some other gachas. 

Yeah i think once some time have passed, it should be fairly possible to move between 19 -> 20 by having 2 Askr promotion to ensure you have 5* every season(since currently Askrs lasts for 3 seasons each. 2 season of Askrs -> New GHB seems like a nice pattern

After much struggle early in the week, finally got a 7 win deathless. Those super merged +6s and +7s cost me a couple losses, but I finally pulled it off.

Team: Soren, Hector, Eirika, Sharena

Score: 4814 (deathless)

Tier: 18

So four unmerged 5* and a very easy, comfortable pass from t18 to t19.

TnuYuGy.png

Edited by Xaos Steel Wing

1 hour ago, Xaos Steel Wing said:

After much struggle early in the week, finally got a 7 win deathless. Those super merged +6s and +7s cost me a couple losses, but I finally pulled it off.

Team: Nino, Hector, Eirika, Sharena

Score: 4814 (deathless)

Tier: 18

So four unmerged 5* and a very easy, comfortable pass from t18 to t19.

TnuYuGy.png

I see Soren instead of Nino :P Reminds me of this: 

Hmm I wonder how easy it will be to stay in T18 this season. I don't have good units to use this time :/

3 hours ago, Kiran said:

I've been kicked out of the cutoff. 4844 just isn't good enough ;_; 

Maybe I'll have better luck next rotation since Anna had Astra. :/

I got the exact same score in a final attempt to promote, somewhat sad it didn't work...

I think I'll get to tier 20 after two more weeks, but we'll see. I'm pretty sure I can take it a little easier next season, since getting back to tier 19 shouldn't be to much trouble.

8 minutes ago, GuiltyLove said:

Hmm I wonder how easy it will be to stay in T18 this season. I don't have good units to use this time :/

I can tell you how easy it'll be to stay in T18. You have 0% chance to stay.

I'm less sure about your chances of going up and down a tier though :P.