Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

@DarkLordIvy I'VE MET THAT GUY TOO. I actually lost because it was in AA, and I was a dummy and ran an all magic user team without checking his skills. I could kill everyone else, but he parked himself on a defense tile, and I couldn't lure him off. (It was one of those maps that has a butt-ton of them.) I hardcore was like, "Ain't nobody got time for this." He earned his win. XD

EDIT: Screw dragons. I already had a hard enough time dealing with them. Now absolutely every single one I face is running Lightning Breath++ and Quick Riposte, and with all the defense tiles on these maps, the Arena just got 1000x harder. I'd 100% rather face Reinhardt and Brave Lyn on the same map than another Nowi. >.>

Edited by Rafiel's Aria

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new season is only just 4 and a half hours old, and I've already netted 3 defense wins. On some weeks, I'm lucky to get 3 wins at all. Baiting with Fjorm seems to be going well:

Spoiler

Zi7uO2u.jpghINGoJC.jpg3ZwP9xc.jpgFUVTHKx.jpg

Edited by Raven

Yay, another new high score for me.  :D:  I love this team. 

Olivia weeks are the best!

N7NVijWh.png

Team: Laslow +10, Rein +7, B-Ike +3, and Olivia +2.

Seems that the 720s are where Horse Emblem finally starts to slow down.  I did run into a 3 horse + 1 infantry team worth 726 points, though.  There's still some horsies running around, but way less than the 710s.  I think most of the teams I ran into had a Dorcas, actually.  Laslow likes him.  He likes Ayra, Mia, and Sigurd too, since they never seem to run Swordbreaker.  ;]

Still haven't done AA yet.  

Edited by Infinite Dreams

41 minutes ago, Raven said:

The new season is only just 4 and a half hours old, and I've already netted 3 defense wins. 

My team of best princess Sharena, Xander, Reinhardt+2, and CYL Lyn already brought me a defence win worth 580.

Maybe I should change my defence team away from the horses for the rest of the week.

Edited by Vaximillian

2 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

My team of best princess Sharena, Xander, Reinhardt+2, and CYL Lyn already brought me a defence win worth 580.

Maybe I should change my defence team away from the horses for the rest of the week.

I had to go back to check my own defense scores. Turns out that a 4th defense recently occurred, with a score of 592. I think that's a new personal record for me.

First I was happy to bring Ephraim in regular arena, since he is my score goat for AA. But after losing 6 out of 7 matches, I can tell that its no fun against 710-720 Reinhardts & BH!Lyns without ranged unit. Would have been my first time to stay in Tier 20, but I guess I have to bring Olivia. 

/Edit: I just upgraded all my Olivia copies and merged her to 4*+9 and she gets a better scoring than Ephraim ... 

Edited by mampfoid

Phew...that all took way too long. I've given up trying to waste crests to get a deathless run in the Arena this season. With one death, my score is 4883. That's probably enough to get back into tier 20. If I manage to get a deathless streak with the free crests/Arena quests for the VG, then so be it, but I'm content with that score. I actually ended up using Ephraim, Merric, Olivia, and Young Tiki. They work together pretty well actually. I think I'll stick with them for the next few weeks. 

I decided to turn my rage towards AA instead since I don't lose anything except my pride when I get destroyed. With a starting team (of the same characters) and about 2 hours of dueling, I managed to get a score of 4950. I can chill for the rest of the week. THANK GOD.

My Merric, Olivia, Reinhardt, and B. Lyn team got me a defense win within a few hours, so I switched to a Bae Emblem team starring Merric, Lucius, Raven, and Joshua. Surprisingly, they got a win too. I guess my luck has to go somewhere.

ok the new Dragon Breath Weapon Refinery is busted, especially Lightning Breath. at some point i ran out of High Res melees in Arena Assault to counter kill (i dont have falchion users) those pesky Dragon Teams showing up everywhere. For gods sake even my +10 Deirdra got busted by Tiki (didnt run Triangle Adept at all) and obliterated. Its like almost impossible to ORKO them without Triangle Advantage + Litrblade and/or Desperation. Its dumb... we need Dragonstone breaker skill so i can built up some dedicated counters to this Steady Breath, Quick Riposte, Lightning breath+ Reforged bullshit.

40 minutes ago, Hilda said:

ok the new Dragon Breath Weapon Refinery is busted, especially Lightning Breath. at some point i ran out of High Res melees in Arena Assault to counter kill (i dont have falchion users) those pesky Dragon Teams showing up everywhere. For gods sake even my +10 Deirdra got busted by Tiki (didnt run Triangle Adept at all) and obliterated. Its like almost impossible to ORKO them without Triangle Advantage + Litrblade and/or Desperation. Its dumb... we need Dragonstone breaker skill so i can built up some dedicated counters to this Steady Breath, Quick Riposte, Lightning breath+ Reforged bullshit.

AI isn't smart enough to know it's built for defense.  Bait them in with a tanky unit of the opposite color and put a healer behind them.  Won't necessarily be a OHKO, but as long as you can pick off the opposing dancer first or position them such that the color that hurts your tank isn't in dance range, you should be fine.

13 minutes ago, GinRei said:

AI isn't smart enough to know it's built for defense.  Bait them in with a tanky unit of the opposite color and put a healer behind them.  Won't necessarily be a OHKO, but as long as you can pick off the opposing dancer first or position them such that the color that hurts your tank isn't in dance range, you should be fine.

you do know those dragons have fairly high DEF(with the expeiton of Fae and Ninian) and most melees have shit RES. That works what you said but it wont work all the time, and if the melee doubles back their Aether is charged up resulting mostly in a ORKO from them on the next round (cant attack either) especially if the melee has lower spd then them...
I mean i have no problems dealing with them in Regular Arena, because i have a dedicated counter to them in the form of Clair. But in Arena Assault... yeah a regular melee with 20ish RES going up against a +10 Dragonstone user with Steady Breath, Quick Riposte etc. will get slaughtered, doesnt matter if he attackes or is being attacked. And as said even due to Steady Breath and because the melee doubles back for pitifull dmg, Aether is back up for the next round...

I got my deathless Arena Assault run, but it was really a total pita going up against so many dragons, most of my mages/archers were sitting on the bench the entire time.

30 minutes ago, Hilda said:

you do know those dragons have fairly high DEF(with the expeiton of Fae and Ninian) and most melees have shit RES. That works what you said but it wont work all the time, and if the melee doubles back their Aether is charged up resulting mostly in a ORKO from them on the next round (cant attack either) especially if the melee has lower spd then them...
I mean i have no problems dealing with them in Regular Arena, because i have a dedicated counter to them in the form of Clair. But in Arena Assault... yeah a regular melee with 20ish RES going up against a +10 Dragonstone user with Steady Breath, Quick Riposte etc. will get slaughtered, doesnt matter if he attackes or is being attacked. And as said even due to Steady Breath and because the melee doubles back for pitifull dmg, Aether is back up for the next round...

I got my deathless Arena Assault run, but it was really a total pita going up against so many dragons, most of my mages/archers were sitting on the bench the entire time.

Hold on a second, isn't Steady Breath irrelevant if you're baiting them since it requires them to be attacked to charge faster? If the dragon initiates and both units double (let's say the dragon outspeeds yours and yours also has Quick Riposte), Lightning Breath+'s Aether is dropping down to 2 charge from 6—barring some kind of janky Infantry Pulse shenanigans. If it's a double on both ends, this also means your baiting unit can Bonfire/Iceberg bomb them (Or Ignis/Glacies if you're doing Infantry Pulse/Quickened Pulse/Steady Breath shenanigans). Surely this should leave the dragon weak enough for something else to take out (and you don't have to worry about Vantage, since they're running Quick Riposte).

52 minutes ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

Hold on a second, isn't Steady Breath irrelevant if you're baiting them since it requires them to be attacked to charge faster?

This was my assumption as well.

1 minute ago, GinRei said:

This was my assumption as well.

This requires you to be using a melee-ranged unit with high enough Res or Triangle Adept to tank the hit or else that unit is expended for the remainder of the match.

It's typically easier to kill dragons by initiating combat against them, but Steady Breath and refined Lightning Breath+ put a wrench in that. In the current meta that favors ranged attack, most ranged units with high Res could previously rely on their good magic bulk to take pittance for damage from the counterattack and then kill with the second hit, but that's no longer possible.

Well, most ranged units can still survive the counterattack, especially when initiating at weapon triangle advantage, but that basically forces you to use Desperation (and just hope the opponent isn't running Hardy Bearing).

Before the highest score I could do was about 4898 which is pretty good to jump between tiers 19-20 but now I got a score of 4924. Every match goes around 704-706 on average now which I think is because Fjorm has extra BST and all her skills are worth 240 SP with a 500 SP special, also my Eirika+4 might have bumped my threshold a bit.

Something wonderful is that my Hector survived a duel against an Ayra with like 5 HP in one match when I forgot to account for the dancer. I also found an Ayra+6 with 49 Spd! She had the Water Blessing and all but still, she was able to double my 46 Spd Tana and it really scared me.

Edit: I got a defense win! It seems that as some speculated the Distant Defense seal is bad on Fjorm, on the other hand giving her the Close Defense seal and Black Knight the Distant Defense seal seems to be better overall.

Edited by Alexmender

AA is such a trash game mode. 

My run took nearly 2 hours this week thanks to every other opponent running the same degenerate, bog-standard Reinhardt/Lyn/Cecilia core, all at +10 or close to it (706-718 score range).  At least 3 of the Lyns in my successful run were the Firesweep/CA build that has no counters.  I'm starting to think IS knew full well what they were doing when they made those three free or really easy to get.  "Either pay up so you can outscore them or be content in ranged-cavalry hell".  Not sure how much longer I'm going to have the patience to bother with deathless runs. 

Sorry for the pointless post, I just wanted to vent.

7 hours ago, Infinite Dreams said:

Seems that the 720s are where Horse Emblem finally starts to slow down.  I did run into a 3 horse + 1 infantry team worth 726 points, though.  There's still some horsies running around, but way less than the 710s. 

Damn it, seems I cursed myself by saying this.  I just finished my deathless AA run, but almost every freakin' team had a Rein+Bow Lyn+Dancer.  Reinhardt is fine cause I have at least 7 counters for him, but I ran out of B-Lyn counters early on since I only have like, 3 or 4... That was tough.  Thank god for the items!  :sweatdrop:

Arena Assault: 5054

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

This requires you to be using a melee-ranged unit with high enough Res or Triangle Adept to tank the hit or else that unit is expended for the remainder of the match.

Or run a healer/pseudo-healer (ex: Arvis, Lucina, Masked Marth) or your own Steady Breath/Aether setup (ex: tanking Nowi with Brave Ike).

New personal high score, with 4,962! The team was: Fjorm, Tiki+6, Reinhardt+2, and Cecilia 4*+10. I almost have sufficient feathers to throw another merge on Tiki, but I doubt I'll bother trying to get a higher score.

Last week I had 4,958, which was sufficient to stay in T20, but was quite close to the cutoff. I think it was ~200 spots above. We'll see if it's still sufficient!

The team of Tiki, Ayra, Reinhardt, and Cecilia have already netted 6 defense wins. Wonder how many they'll accumulate this week?

I actually got a defense win the first 5 minutes of the daily reset. This is by far the highest I've ever scored, thanks to actually having a good bonus unit + blessings. 

Ia2HaFf.png

wo dao is a hell of a drug

zLWQYsL.png

Whoa. There must be something weird about the season because I haven't gotten this many defense wins in a long time. I'm looking at 6, and 5 are from my "joke" Bae Emblem team. XD Maybe Merric, Raven, Lucius, and Joshua have better synergy together than I originally thought. Or maybe I'm getting a lot of pity wins. Either way, I kinda just wanna see how many wins I can get.

6 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Whoa. There must be something weird about the season because I haven't gotten this many defense wins in a long time. I'm looking at 6, and 5 are from my "joke" Bae Emblem team. XD Maybe Merric, Raven, Lucius, and Joshua have better synergy together than I originally thought. Or maybe I'm getting a lot of pity wins. Either way, I kinda just wanna see how many wins I can get.

Maybe you could send a few my way.  I haven't gotten any yet, but last week, I had more than ten.

4 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Maybe you could send a few my way.  I haven't gotten any yet, but last week, I had more than ten.

Are you still running your horses? You'll probably get one with all of the VG quests coming up. Idk why I'm getting wins without any of the usual tricks.

14 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Are you still running your horses? You'll probably get one with all of the VG quests coming up. Idk why I'm getting wins without any of the usual tricks.

I've got my horse scum team with Titania, Reinhardt, CYLyn, and Seigbert currently.