Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

13 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

That's been out for a few weeks now. It doesn't prevent you from being matched against them, but just decreases the likelihood.

Ah i see i'll take that then. thanks!

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decided to spend a duelling crest to try to finish deathless run early this week for once, and was confronted in that 7th fight with an interesting team: Zephiel (with a direct counter) as well as Hector (with Bonfire and Vantage, a combination i'd had a bit trouble dealing with in the past) both with Swap, flanked by Eirika and Nino (both with Fury, Eirika had a Rally Res I think, and Nino had Desperation).

My team is Eirika, Sharena, Julia and Klein; and it was the map with lots of forests drawing two maps.

The AI played them pretty conservatively, keeping them pretty grouped and advancing the tanks first, and it turned out in a battle of attrition in a way arena battles seldom are. Hector advanced first, so I had to deal with him. Eirika (with Defensive boost from Sharena and the Spur Attack from Klein) barely escapes this kind of Hector alive, but okay, good enough. Otherwise her job is boosting the others so that's no big deal.

Zephiel advanced first, and Sharena just couldn't kill him quickly, and he killed anyone else with that Direct Counter. Was pretty glad I put Renewal 2 on Sharena, even if it was kind of a filler skill. I miscalculated a bit with movement, and Klein took one blow from Zephiel (but survived), but luckily my units had enough movement that I could recover and Sharena was able to finish Zephiel.

Then there was a couple of turns of repositioning for a little while because of Nino's Drawn Back (AI with that skills are so annoying...) before Klein was in position to snipe her. And by then dealing with Eirika was a formality.

But yeah. Zephiel with Direct Counter is scary. If the rest of the team hadn't been somewhat delayed by silly AI antics with Draw Back and the map, I might have had more troubles.

For now it's a deathless run worth of 4784, rank of #1525 for now. Woot.

Edited by salinea

7 hours ago, chirp said:

I'm running a similar squad, except that Gunter replaces Sophia. Gunter and Cecilia are 4* +0, Ninian and Reinhardt are 5*, +1 and +0. Matchups are 662-680 BST. Hone Cavalry on Gunter, Goad Cavalry on Reinhardt, Protect Cavalry on Cecilia.

I've faced many 5* Julias and some 5* Ninos, but every one of them could be oneshot by a carefully buffed Cecilia, most of the time with a good damage margin, and sometimes (Julia) with an overkill double hit.

Does the situation change drastically with the +10 merged 5* that you are facing ?

My match-ups have a score between 694 and 704.

At my score range, most opponents have about two units between +8 and +10, typically characters that were in a focus at some point or promoted from a lower rarity.

I managed to get ranked (#5,487) for the first time by using flier emblem.

After a deathless advanced run I got a nice score of 4.716 using Palla, Cherche, Subaki and Spring!Camilla.

Map design is less likely to screw you over and having one swap and two reposition users allows you to deal with most enemy formations, it also helped Subaki had Iote's shield making him amazing bait for archers.

Edited by HyperBowser

Managed to get 6 consecutive deathless wins with the free swords (possibly the map set, possibly team changes, too early to tell...but I'm thinking it's the map set; I like this one much better), so I went ahead and used a crest to finish it off...the lead was a Caeda, which screamed "Flier Emblem". However, it was on the forest-y map, and they all had Goad Fliers and a positioning skill, meaning no buffs for the Gronnblade Camilla (real head-scratcher there, but I'm not complaining =P )...so it was actually the easiest match of the lot.

A few 694s, a 696, and even a few random 700/704s put the score at 4882, which is currently rank 272. I could try fishing for 700+ matches, but meh. If the past two weeks are any indication, this score will be just fine.

32 minutes ago, Othin said:

Haven't finished a full run yet but I've already gotten a defense win, which is nice to have out of the way so early.

It's almost relieving to have a defense win within the first day or two, isn't it?  Less stress for something you don't have much control over. 

A one-death run (fuck you, Tharja, and not in that sense!) gave me 4,709 points and rank 7,577.
Where did all these merges come from? I haven't any merges on my team at all.

How should I build my defence team?

My 5⋆ lvl 40s: Catria, Cherche, Eirika, Lilina, Lyn, Michalis, Ninian, Seliph, Sharena.

My 4⋆ lvl 40s: Abel, Alfonse, Anna, Cain, Cecilia, Corrin-M, Corrin-F, Effie, Eliwood, Est, Felicia, Fir, Gordin, Gwendy, Kagero, Laslow, Lissa, Marth, Merric, Navarre, Nino, Nowi, Oboro, Ogma, Palla, Raven, Robin-F, Reinhardt, Serra, Shanna, Sophia, Ursula, Virion, Wrys.

My 3⋆ lvl 30s: Narcian, Subaki.

Omg, this is the first time I have been in top 1k! Glad I put Drag Back on Eirika instead of Escape Route 2 to boost my score. I wish Quick Riposte was not a 5* only skill. :( I need it...

A6ECFrx.png

6 defense wins. Same team as last week:

Hector, Reinhardt +1, Erika +4, 4* vanilla Kagero (I don't have a 5* one...)

Well, it was bound to happen at some point. I ran into a cavalry team on the bridge map: Reinhardt, Cecilia, Leo and Reinhardt (sheesh). I survived for two turns and killed one Reinhardt with my own, after which I got mass-murdered on an enemy phase. There was just nowhere to run, and nobody could take out Triangle Adept Gronnraven Cecilia except Eldigan, who was too far away. If only Cecilia had packed Gronnblade, Klein could probably have taken her out and (possibly) saved me the map.

It was kind of cool to see an optimised cavalry team, but goddammit, I was at 5/7 deathless! And now I really want to build an all-mage cavalry team but don't have Leo. Someday.

Got a score of 4746 with a team of M!Corrin, Nino, Sharena and Takumi.

Currently sitting at rank 5700, but I'm pretty sure it will drop below 10,000 soon enough. Still fine with it though, as my 4000 feathers for the week are now secured. I'll probably start trying some team compositions with Reinhard and Ike on it for next week.

3 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

How should I build my defence team?

My 5⋆ lvl 40s: Catria, Cherche, Eirika, Lilina, Lyn, Michalis, Ninian, Seliph, Sharena.

My 4⋆ lvl 40s: Abel, Alfonse, Anna, Cain, Cecilia, Corrin-M, Corrin-F, Effie, Eliwood, Est, Felicia, Fir, Gordin, Gwendy, Kagero, Laslow, Lissa, Marth, Merric, Navarre, Nino, Nowi, Oboro, Ogma, Palla, Raven, Robin-F, Reinhardt, Serra, Shanna, Sophia, Ursula, Virion, Wrys.

"Color-Stacking"

Derivative of the word "stack" [stak], verb. "to pile, arrange, or place in a stack; to cover or load with something in stacks or piles; to arrange or select unfairly in order to force a desired result."

See also, smokestack

That being said...

Catria / Lilina / Ninian / Sharena

If you're willing to promote units...

Nowi / Reinhardt / Ninian / Sharena or Lilina

How many feathers do you have? Nowi is about the same whether she's 4* or 5* while Rein wants the bump way more.

Sharena buffs Reinhardt who gallops across the map with Ninian's help to snag an easy kill. Simple.

Spoiler

Y̶o̶u̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶l̶r̶e̶a̶d̶y̶ ̶k̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶

Edited by MrSmokestack

Just now, MrSmokestack said:

How many feathers do you have? Nowi is about the same whether she's 4* or 5* while Rein wants the bump way more.

I need 500 more feathers to promote Reinhardt :(

Just now, MrSmokestack said:

Better get to grinding that Hero Merit then!

I am! The closest to the next milestone are Lilina and Michalis at ≈815/1,000, and Est at 223/500.

I'll set Catria / Lilina / Ninian / Sharena meanwhile.

12 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Sharena buffs Reinhardt who gallops across the map with Ninian's help to snag an easy kill. Simple.

Hide contents

Y̶o̶u̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶l̶r̶e̶a̶d̶y̶ ̶k̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶

The ai is stupid so what will happen is Sharena will buff random unit and then Ninian will Dance Sharena who will buff another random unit. Rally skills are horrible on defense especially with dance.

1 minute ago, Clogon said:

The ai is stupid so what will happen is Sharena will buff random unit and then Ninian will Dance Sharena who will buff another random unit. Rally skills are horrible on defense especially with dance.

I mean, you can rein in the stupidity somewhat with some starting position adjustments, putting Sharena in either the first or last slot so she's less likely to buff someone besides Reinhardt, while Rein goes in second or third since those tiles generally don't lead into obstacles.

Maybe replace the Rally with Smite so Sharena can shove Ninian into the enemy team to die

Ninian dancing for random people is something you can't really account for, fair enough.

I set up 3red 1green (sanaki, ryoma, olivia, minerva) for defense and got 2 overnight. For some reason red-stacking seems to work oddly well than when I tried blue-stacking.

Maybe it's just that I don't have super good blues except Reinhardt or something while Ryoma is vantage Ryoma and Olivia can probably throw someone off by being a 5* with Fury Swordbreaker. 

on another note one of the matches I got was this:

Screenshot_20170425-141956.png

Almost mirror setup, except with a different Vantage Hoshibro. I wrecked them though

Edited by Thor Odinson