Should we do Smogon-esque strategic analyses for all the Heroes?

BANRYU

Whether it be actual site content or just like a community project, I think it might be a good idea to start doing these in like a formatted manner... something like @Elieson's strategy corner, but on a more widespread basis, maybe with a consistent, easy-to-read format, multiple writers, etc.

Is that something we could/should do? Would anyone be interested in coordinating something like that? 

Spoiler
1 minute ago, BANRYU said:

Whether it be actual site content or just like a community project, I think it might be a good idea to start doing these in like a formatted manner... something like @Elieson's strategy corner, but on a more widespread basis, maybe with a consistent, easy-to-read format, multiple writers, etc.

Is that something we could/should do? Would anyone be interested in coordinating something like that? 

I'm all for it, and I'm actually building some stuff in GoogleSheets much like @Ice Dragon, which will be very User Friendly in creating units/teams/numbers to work with and limited simulation experiences to come up with scenarios and examples.

I'm awaiting Skill Inheritance to be confirmed in how it works though, before going nuts with this. The entire meta would change on the ability to pass down say Close/Distant counter, but since they're reserved for one unit each, it's still unconfirmed.

The idea sounds interesting enough. Hell, the wiki already has a "guides" section, so it'd be fairly easily to add this onto there. I'm not confident enough in my game knowledge/expertise to necessarily do write-ups myself, but I'm all for the idea!

1 minute ago, Elieson said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'm all for it, and I'm actually building some stuff in GoogleSheets much like @Ice Dragon, which will be very User Friendly in creating units/teams/numbers to work with and limited simulation experiences to come up with scenarios and examples.

I'm awaiting Skill Inheritance to be confirmed in how it works though, before going nuts with this. The entire meta would change on the ability to pass down say Close/Distant counter, but since they're reserved for one unit each, it's still unconfirmed.

But yeah, it'd probably be best to wait for Skill Inheritance to come out first as that has the potential to shake up the game quite a bit depending on what restrictions are or aren't put in place. 

@Elieson Very true about Skill Inheritance, that's definitely something to take into account and probably wait for. Then again, before all that happens might be a good time to coordinate something like this ahead of time, haha.

But yeah, my thought was that we seem to get a lot of people asking about who's good, who counters what, etc. that I thought it might just be good to make like an internet resource out of it or something.

And while I can't really coordinate anything like this myself (otherwise I'd have just volunteered instead of asking if someone else can lol), I'd be more than happy/willing to be one of the analysis writers. Sooo... just gonna throw that out there now. =wo

Edited by BANRYU

I've been planning on doing a few of these myself if I ever find the time. Like @Elieson, I've been working on my own simulation spreadsheets for calculations (currently simulates one round of combat with all skills supported except special skills).

With skill inheritance scheduled for this month, it's probably best to wait for any finalized analyses, but it doesn't hurt to do a few with the current meta.

Personally, I've been pretty impressed with how some of the lower-tier characters stack up in the arena. Hana and Selena have some pretty interesting match-ups with Hana capable of wiping the floor with nearly every sword-user in the current meta without being one-round killed herself and Selena capable of tanking a round from every sword-user and more than half of the lance-users.

I may start with a few choice picks from the lower tiers (Hana and Selena) and maybe the members of my current offense team (Ryoma, Robin (M), Julia, and Reinhardt). That'll have to wait until the weekend, though; I've got the next two evenings pretty much booked out.

Yeah, I think the tiers will drastically change after skill inheritance. Once you start giving attack +3 or death blow a lot of things become a lot more lethal. And if you can give Hone Cavalry and such to any unit I think Gunter/Jagen become a lot less special.

And even now, yeah, a unit like Hinata isn't that bad given he can tank an Abel or probably any other blue physical while still having his gem weapon equipped, can trade with most reds and destroys greens. His high stats are also good for rankings same as a Hector. If your team absolutely needs any of that he'd be good, though obviously he isn't necessarily great from a hyper-offense perspective given he lacks an activation compared to most other red swords and isn't likely to double without either a buff or until brash assault range. And he lacks any utility other than the ability to tank, compared to other characters who can fill more roles. Skill inheritance should give him an offensive activation over the mostly unnecessary pavise, a different weapon option until there are more greens he'd really want ruby to kill, and either threaten attack or threaten defense in his C slot. His A and B slot probably wouldn't change.

Edited by lysander
added gunter

1 hour ago, Directive Mayhem said:

The guys at Smogon try so hard to make Pokemon a competitively viable game--such futility!

They stopped trying years ago, now they're just trying to sho-hole their meta into their tier-lists. 

(Also doubled meta>singles)

That's enough complaining about Smogon.

Much as I'd love a super-detailed analysis on every character (strengths, weaknesses, possible skills), I'd rather wait until skill inheritance is fully unveiled.