Pegasi or Wyverns

Which do you prefer?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Pegasi
    • Wyverns

Wyverns are better in FE6, FE10, and FE14. Pegasi are better in FE7, FE8, and FE13, and they're pretty tied in FE9. So I'd say it's pretty equal, but I prefer wyverns since it's really easy for pegs to end up stat screwed, especially in the GBA games.

I prefer wyverns. I do like the sense of efficiency that using Pegasus can give you, but I only ever started to warm up to them after I knew the mechanics better.

I think my general history was like PEG: FE1 FE2 FE3 FE6 FE7 FE9 FE12 FE 13 and Wyvern: FE5 FE8 FE10 FE11 FE14 

This is a tough choice, but not that tough.  It was Pegasi for me, and it really didn't feel that hard of a choice.  There are fantastic Wyverns in the franchise, like Milady, Minerva, Dean (although he sucks indoors so dean is lower on the list for me) Haar and Jill, to name the top contenders.  But for me, Pegasi were just... more interesting creatures.  When mythical creatures pop into my head, the only thing that comes to mind are unicorns, werewolves, and Big-Foot.  Wyverns seem like a type of reptile that... just flies.  A pegesus is a creature that, like a unicorn, is majestic, and not neccesarily trained for battle.

But they are, in FE standards, very loyal, worthwhile companions (See Minerva's and Catria's support conversations from New Mystery) that are also things of beauty.  Wyvern riders are strong, sure, but they come in so late or enemy side (or the bad country) only so much throughout most of the games that it feels like you have that one outsider on your team.  I either have a Pegasus trained, or it's one of the big 5.  There's just something about pegasi that is appealing.  Having companions for assisting you in battle rather than them doing half the fighting seems really interesting, and feels like that the people riding them are much stronger as a result.  Even if, obviously, pegasus riders are less powerful in gameplay.

Edited by Lord Tullus

On 4/3/2017 at 9:00 AM, Gustavos said:

I really really wish Wyverns weren't a staple of the bad guy's nation in every game they appear. Bern, Valm, Nations I don't remember from Archanea, Daein,  Nohr, and Grado. Similarly, Pegasi are always on the side of right. It's a literal black and white trend for these black and white creatures. We're desperately in need of a game that honestly looks at wyverns and gives us a story about earning their respect before they allow you to ride - a perfect idea for a story based lord promotion. I hate that such a powerful plot point is recurring but only exists in support conversations. Meanwhile Pegasi just look for the cutest little girl and say they're "pure of heart" like some lonely little boys on the internet. Give me a break, I'm going team dragon.

Sigh, all I'd ever hear about is Marcia, especially years ago on this site. Marcia-only runs, I think the first youtube playthrough of PoR was a MarciaxIke run of the game, girl-only runs with Marcia (not even Mia, a blue haired swordie that joins sooner) as the main lord, LTCs and speed runs where Marcia is crucial to every map. The only underrated Tellius girls are the pre-promoted ones and even that's debatable with Tanith's summons

I like how Valentia is the Pegasi continent with no wyverns at all in Gaiden, yet in Awakening Valm is the Wyvern continent for no explained reason.

On April 4, 2017 at 0:00 AM, Gustavos said:

I really really wish Wyverns weren't a staple of the bad guy's nation in every game they appear. Bern, Valm, Nations I don't remember from Archanea, Daein,  Nohr, and Grado. Similarly, Pegasi are always on the side of right. It's a literal black and white trend for these black and white creatures. We're desperately in need of a game that honestly looks at wyverns and gives us a story about earning their respect before they allow you to ride - a perfect idea for a story based lord promotion. I hate that such a powerful plot point is recurring but only exists in support conversations. Meanwhile Pegasi just look for the cutest little girl and say they're "pure of heart" like some lonely little boys on the internet. Give me a break, I'm going team dragon.

Sigh, all I'd ever hear about is Marcia, especially years ago on this site. Marcia-only runs, I think the first youtube playthrough of PoR was a MarciaxIke run of the game, girl-only runs with Marcia (not even Mia, a blue haired swordie that joins sooner) as the main lord, LTCs and speed runs where Marcia is crucial to every map. The only underrated Tellius girls are the pre-promoted ones and even that's debatable with Tanith's summons

Well in Elibe Pegasi are associated with Ilia which, while not being primary antagonist nation is an ally of Bern and is depicted as a pretty unscrupulous nation of mercenaries (actually pretty reminiscent of Thracia coming to think about it).

It might be because of my rather limited selection of FE games I've played, but Wyverns always felt like one of, if not the most overpowered classes in the game. Great stats, great mobility, great skills in the newer games.

If the game is easy, flying + high move = best unit because it's all about moving where you need to go. If the game is hard then wyverns turn into bat-man because of how many roles they fill. Tanky unit to choke-point, high mobility unit to either ferry people around or pick-off certain units, easy access to 1-2 range thanks to Axes and Lances.

If the game is easy, pegasi are great for the same flying + high move reasons, but their spd/res focus always means that archers HAVE to be played around (whereas Wyverns can soak a few regardless with their sheer bulk---unless it's Tellius, where they don't even take effective damage. Also, RD crossbows, I swear I lose Elincia's Gambit at least once every single play-through just because I forget crossbows rape her.) Javelin access is nice, of course, and so's staff utility in the newer games, but axes were always the strongest AND cheapest weapons for whatever reason, making them the best for forge abuse.