Voting Gauntlet: Battle of the Mages!

Vaximillian

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they ever do Genealogy-sized maps again, I think they should let your army form up into a large group that you just move on the map, instead of having to move all 20-something units individually. Not all of the moving leads into fighting anyway.

30 minutes ago, Magnux7 said:

What's up with all the hate for Tharja on this forum 0.0 

Is it because she's popular or because of the fanservice? I'd also prefer if they toned down the fanservice on her, but it honestly doesn't bother me too much unlike another certain(cough* camilla*cough).. 

The one thing I dislike is the cringy english voice they gave her x) 

Her qualities in supports other than with MU are the most... tolerable.

Most supporters for her are like "she's hot, so it's okay".

The Japanese Awakening Background site doesn't help this at all.

Edited by shadowofchaos

7 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

Ungh, I feel it coming on...we're not about to go from Tharja discussions to "Why FE4 Maps are actually the Best/Worst" are we?

Gave it a second thought, and I can't support Robin in round 2. Who should I go with: Julia or Leo? I own neither but want feathers

Team Leo always appreciates more members.

2 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

If they ever do Genealogy-sized maps again, I think they should let your army form up into a large group that you just move on the map, instead of having to move all 20-something units individually. Not all of the moving leads into fighting anyway.

Didn't PoR have a "go here" command or something like that?  I never really used it, but I think it was there.

3 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

Her qualities in supports other than with MU are the most... tolerable.

Her most admirable quality is that she writes to her family. Not bad. 

Edited by L9999

2 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

So, it's a smaller cast, but you actually use them all? Kind of the opposite of Shadow Dragon where the cast was huge, but you just didn't get to use that many of them.

The cast is enormous because you have two generations of characters with roughly equal numbers in each generation. You simply don't have everyone at the same time. There is actually only one character that is playable in both halves of the game.

4 minutes ago, Astellius said:

Way too many of them are tediously nice. At least Peri gets me, amirite?

Peri sounds like the kind of person that if you get on her good side and settle down, she'll come home in the evening with a pile of speared deer and rabbits and cook up an amazing dinner.

Wow, didn't expect that many replies. I take it she's a controversial character with many fans and haters?

I'm kinda new to fire emblem in general and don't know much about Tharja. She seemed to have a mysterious personality which interested me. She's also the only one I actually have in the Gauntlet, soo yeah x) 

Well, I suppose it's best I don't talk about her here anymore since dem haters will probably kill me :L 

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

The cast is enormous because you have two generations of characters with roughly equal numbers in each generation. You simply don't have everyone at the same time. There is actually only one character that is playable in both halves of the game.

If it's the same that would put it at about 42. That's not too big.

Just now, Magnux7 said:

Well, I suppose it's best I don't talk about her here anymore since dem haters will probably kill me :L 

She's a touchy subject when it comes to character evaluation in the fanbase.

6 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

I like your use of the clip.

And as for Awakening maps being smaller, well, they were on a portable system. I'm not too picky when it come to things like that though so I don't really mind if they are considered "bland". I like it just fine.

Traitor.

So, it's a smaller cast, but you actually use them all? Kind of the opposite of Shadow Dragon where the cast was huge, but you just didn't get to use that many of them.

You can use them all, but your horse units are almost guaranteed to speed ahead of everyone else and leave them in the dust. Also due to how OP the holy weapons are, anyone who doesn't use them will eventually fall into obscurity sooner or later.

2 minutes ago, Magnux7 said:

Wow, didn't expect that many replies. I take it she's a controversial character with many fans and haters?

I'm kinda new to fire emblem in general and don't know much about Tharja. She seemed to have a mysterious personality which interested me. She's also the only one I actually have in the Gauntlet, soo yeah x) 

Yeah she's definitely one of the more...divisive characters.      

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Peri sounds like the kind of person that if you get on her good side and settle down, she'll come home in the evening with a pile of speared deer and rabbits and cook up an amazing dinner.

Just don't plan on hiring any servants.  

Edited by pumpkinspice48

Just now, fangpoint333 said:

You can use them all, but your horse units are almost guaranteed to speed ahead of everyone else and leave them in the dust. Also due to how OP the holy weapons are, anyone who doesn't use them will eventually fall into obscurity sooner or later.

No, I meant that you can't take them all with you and if you alternate, they won't level enough.

Aww yeah, looks like we Team Robin won our round! Nice game, Team Merric! It was pretty fun! Now let's see how we do against Leo. I'm a little worried because Leo actually has fangirls... and Robin only has Smash Bros. under his belt. Let's do our best, fellow tacticians!

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Didn't PoR have a "go here" command or something like that?  I never really used it, but I think it was there.

It did for "Other" and "Allied" units, I think. I used to command them to either congregate to a singular point or defend a healer to move them out of the way most of the time; the AI-controlled units were dumb when you ordered them to do anything else.

Edited by saisymbolic

1 minute ago, Doof said:

Aww yeah, looks like we Team Robin won our round! Nice game, Team Merric! It was pretty fun! Now let's see how we do against Leo. I'm a little worried because Leo actually has fangirls... and Robin only has Smash Bros. under his belt. Let's do our best, fellow tacticians!

Never underestimate Smash.

Just now, Doof said:

Leo actually has fangirls...

Is everybody on Team Leo a girl?

I'm Leo's mama, and I need to support my little guy.

15 minutes ago, pumpkinspice48 said:

Only if it can be young Zephiel from 7.  Maybe i could get along with older Zeph if I told him I thought dragons were cool.

You could get along with Binding Blade Zephiel under one of four circumstances:

1. You were as bent on world destruction as him;
  2. You had stood by him during his younger years;
  3. You were a complete sycophant; or
  4. You had a crush on him (cough! cough! Brenya! cough!)

Otherwise, the Eckesachs would most certainly be pointed at your neck.

18 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Sense of scale. You fight campaigns across whole countries.

Oh, definitely. For example, the Prologue could be compared to marching from Strasbourg to Munich, with a stop at Frankfurt-am-Main on the way. (But then again, my proportions could be all wrong. What is one tile-length in FE4 proportional to in distance?) 

9 minutes ago, Ralphophoulous said:

Leo seemed to have a lower following, so you might rank better there. 

But team Julia wants YOU

All hail the Empress! All hail Loptyr's Bane! Glory to Julia! ;):

2 minutes ago, saisymbolic said:

It did for "Other" and "Allied" units, I think. I used to command them to either congregate to a singular point or defend a healer to move them out of the way most of the time; the AI-controlled units were dumb when you ordered them to do anything else.

It also had it for allies. I'm replaying Path of Radiance and it definitely exists. Such a time saver.

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

I'm a guy on Team Leo!

3 minutes ago, Doof said:

Robin's also more of a main character than Leo, so that helps.

8 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

If it's the same that would put it at about 42. That's not too big.

There is a total of 62 distinct playable characters. There are 24 characters in the first generation, but several of them leave your party before the end of the first half.

The second generation has an alternate set of characters for the children of the first generation characters if you didn't have the female characters married by a certain point, which inflates the number a bit.

In any one play-through, you'll have access to 48 total characters, 24 in the first half and 25 in the second (including Fin, who is playable in both halves).

Edited by Ice Dragon

1 minute ago, Doof said:

Robin also has memes from 2013....

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

Unless if I've been lied to all these years by my parents, I'm most definitely a dude and on Team Leo.

Y'all,

Spoiler

There are other ways to look into Tharja's character other than whats on the surface. Yeah, she has a very sexualized appearance; yeah, she's not your average person in more ways than one. Need I remind you that the very fact that she's a horrible person is what makes her character much more unique and interesting than the rest of the cast. Even better that she has a "fuck your opinion" attitude doesn't try to hide who she is.

If you look at every Plegian there is, barring Mustafa, just about everyone there has some sort of "reason" for why they are how they are: Gangrel initially had justified intentions for Plegia but eventually went mad; Aversa was manipulated at an early age into what she is; Henry's quite literally insane (I forget exactly what happened with him, but I thin it was basically a result of neglect and environment?). Tharja has no such influence on her and pretty much just does what she wants and doesn't care what anyone else thinks. She's the bad apple in an army of goodies-goodies; the one unit that doesn't follow the status quo among the playable cast, that, with her niche, I find her to be awesome. At least, because of this, she's the only mage in Awakening that I actually like

The only ACTUAL flaw, in my opinion, is the obsession with Robin, which, if Awakening didn't have an Avatar system, much (not all, cause the others are just a matter of subjective tastes in characters) of the complaints about her would be nonexistent.

Admittedly, appreciating Tharja would probably require a different viewing lens on her as a character than you would as a person, but thats just my interpretation on her; the common "negative" qualities make her unique and thats why I like Tharja.

I say this as I didnt even side with her

3 minutes ago, Doof said:

Don't forget that for most, Robin was their first avatar, coming from the most popular game in the series, who's also relatively popular in his own right (being #3 in popularity for Awakening)

1 minute ago, Ottokar said:

Oh, definitely. For example, the Prologue could be compared to marching from Strasbourg to Munich, with a stop at Frankfurt-am-Main on the way. (But then again, my proportions could be all wrong. What is one tile-length in FE4 proportional to in distance?) 

Goddammit, Kaiserreich fans exist even among the FE fandom. Marvellous.
(I used to do some gfx stuff for the mod, and edited the map for the DH version, IIRC. Too bad I didn't actually finish anything.)

3 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Goddammit, Kaiserreich fans exist even among the FE fandom. Marvellous.
(I used to do some gfx stuff for the mod, and edited the map for the DH version, IIRC. Too bad I didn't actually finish anything.)

Wait - a fellow Hearts of Iron fan? Hail, brother!