Voting Gauntlet: Battle of the Mages!

Vaximillian

Just now, Glaceon Mage said:

I think the problem with the avatars is on one end, there are people like myself who prefer to view them as an actual character, and thus perceive them as having no personality because IS tried to make them as relate-able to as many people as possible.  On the other, there are those who try to self insert and can't, because they have predefined actions and responses that don't always line up with what the player thinks.

So basically, people who think s/he's too bland are viewing him/her as a character more than a self-insert, while people who say s/he has too much personality are viewing him/her more as an avatar for the player.

Well, I still managed to find him likable as a character (even if female Robin annoys me somewhat). I kind of perceive him as someone with a good reign on his emotions, but someone you definitely don't want to make angry, and I like characters like that...plus that coat is cool. 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

If we ever have one. 

Celica ended up overshadowed by Alm. (Disagree both were equal in their roles till the end that's why there both equal Lords).

Eirika was overshadowed by Ephraim. (Disagree with this especially when the story felt more deep and logical with Eirika plus there was more time with her).

Azura is overshadowed by the Avatar. (She was mostly leading how to "accomplish" the end of the war plus helped during endgame with her song while Corrin followed and lead still contributing alot).

Avatars are usually always associated with the male version more, given how Smash Bros had Robin and Corrin take as their male versions.

No problem. :D

Celica ended up having Alm rescue her and also had Alm deliver the final strike on Duma, being the one to wield Falchion. Sure Eirika had more role than Ephraim in the beginning, but the fact that the story can have an Ephraim route and how Ephraim always saves her most of the time ends up overshadowing her. 

And even if the roles seem equal, it really isn't. If a spot as main protagonist is female and its shared with a male, the male will DEFINITELY end up overshadowing them.

2 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Of the mages in the game right now, Odin would get my vote the easiest/fastest.

His attack is pitiful but he's my favorite 3DS character and probably in my top ten overall.  I adore the guy.

Best mage is Micaiah though no bias at all.

I think the problem with the avatars is on one end, there are people like myself who prefer to view them as an actual character, and thus perceive them as having no personality because IS tried to make them as relate-able to as many people as possible.  On the other, there are those who try to self insert and can't, because they have predefined actions and responses that don't always line up with what the player thinks.

So basically, people who think s/he's too bland are viewing him/her as a character more than a self-insert, while people who say s/he has too much personality are viewing him/her more as an avatar for the player that may or may not line up.

I love Owain, but for some reason, Odin wasn't as endearing to me.  Part of it is his outfit, and the second part is his creepy support with Selena.  I still like him, but not a fan of what they did to him in Fates.

I wish Micaiah or Soren had been there to represent Tellius.

6 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Oh, I played Fates. Loved using her, always gave her the Waterwheel.

I find that boosting Attack is so much more important for training units than boosting defenses. Raising Nowi with Fortify Dragons was painful.

It's all about your method of leveling them up, honestly.  I left everything come and attack them, so defense is easier for me.

1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:

Soren was there. Unless you mean Sothe. 

I think she meant in the gauntlet.

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

I love Owain, but for some reason, Odin wasn't as endearing to me.  Part of it is his outfit, and the second part is his creepy support with Selena.  I still like him, but not a fan of what they did to him in Fates.

I wish Micaiah or Soren had been there to represent Tellius.

Eh, I like him in both games.  To each their own, though.  I do wish he got a better outfit than Dark Mage standard like Henry did though.  Henry's outfit is actually decent looking compared to other 3DS dark mages.

I just want Micaiah in the game, period!  I need best girl, best mage, our beloved Priestess of Dawn!

6 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

See my previous post for clarification on that point.

Well, I'll say I honestly haven't seen this difference between female Corrin and male Corrin (aside from people liking female a bit more because t least they think she's cute). All I've ever seen is Corrin disliked because they're Corrin, not specifically the male one. I can't address your examples since like I said I've never seen that stuff, but in general I'd think part of that could also be that more people play as the male and thus attribute the dumb shit to him since that's who they see doing it all, while female Corrin is just the cute alt-version since they don't actually play with her in game.

I know you're not pointing a finger at me or anything, but I'll just say I think Corrin as a whole is an idiot, gender non-relevant.

Edited by Alkaid

1 minute ago, Anime27Arts said:

It's all about your method of leveling them up, honestly.  I left everything come and attack them, so defense is easier for me.

The biggest problem is that if you want your trainee to kill everyone, but they need like 2~3 rounds to just kill one guy, your trainee gets swarmed and loses a lot of HP, or your healer/dancer gets hit, which could either get them killed or your support units steal the EXP, which is annoying.

6 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Soren was there. Unless you mean Sothe. 

4 minutes ago, Anime27Arts said:

Yeah, I meant in the Gauntlet.

10 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I wouldn't consider this to be that big of an issue if people already liked both characters and just preferred one over the other. But when the character makes the exact same decisions as male and female, and only ONE of the genders is being criticized while people say "it's okay or more acceptable or more understandable for the character to do it only when this gender, or this specific gender is somehow excused because they're good looking" that I have an issue.

I've seen people give female Corrin a pass for things they criticize male Corrin for, just because she's a girl and "women are like that" or because she's better looking. That is not what I'd consider okay.

I can safely say that I've never once seen anyone do what you're claiming.

1 minute ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

The biggest problem is that if you want your trainee to kill everyone, but they need like 2~3 rounds to just kill one guy, your trainee gets swarmed and loses a lot of HP, or your healer/dancer gets hit, which could either get them killed or your support units steal the EXP, which is annoying.

True but right now, I'm training up a Hector so Oboro's Rally Defense is very useful.

10 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Celica ended up having Alm rescue her and also had Alm deliver the final strike on Duma, being the one to wield Falchion. Sure Eirika had more role than Ephraim in the beginning, but the fact that the story can have an Ephraim route and how Ephraim always saves her most of the time ends up overshadowing her. 

And even if the roles seem equal, it really isn't. If a spot as main protagonist is female and its shared with a male, the male will DEFINITELY end up overshadowing them.

Rescuing doesn't mean overshadowed Celica was never overshadowed from being saved and same with Eirika both equal lords that impact the games no matter what.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

I think I'm gonna have to use my Takumi for a few battles at this rate. Somehow I still haven't gotten a single colorless ally yet for the flag quest. Literally every ally I've had is blue or green today, besides 1 Lucina.

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Is this an accidental double post that got ninja'd?? LOL

Edited by Hawk King

3 minutes ago, a bear said:

And I can safely say that I have. What is your point?

17 minutes ago, Anime27Arts said:

12 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Ah. Okay. 

11 minutes ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

Rescuing doesn't mean overshadowed Celica was never overshadowed and same with Eirika both equal lords that impact the games.

Spoiler

And yet that doesn't make them be more noticed than the guys most of the time. And look how the story of Celica went. Despite what she did, she was ultimately at the mercy of that Duma worshipper and Alm did have to save her. She didn't play that much of a story role at the end when it came to defeating Duma, unless I'm mistaken, but I don't think I am. 

Eirika and Ephraim are different sure, but Eirika gets bashed on for her huge naïveté and having to be rescued. And again, the fact there's an Ephraim route already gives an overshadowing case. If there wasn't an Ephraim route, then Eirika would have been a lead role much better. 

Honestly, I want there to be a female lead like those two and the other female lords we've come to know, but there are no spot sharing at all. No extra route where we learn of this other guy's perspective. No guy taking the final strike and plays the plot role at the end. Its them. Its their story alone. And if IS can write that without screwing it up, that'd be great.

Edited by omegaxis1

Can we watch spoilers a bit here? While I am all for a discussion, some of us like myself have not played through, nor read, all Fire Emblem's stories (in this case SoV/Gaiden). While I dont want to shut down discussions, can we at least use spoiler tags?

Edited by Tolvir

1 minute ago, Tolvir said:

Can we watch spoilers a bit here? While I am all for a discussion, some of us like myself have not played through, nor read Gaiden/SoV's story. While I dont want to shut down discussions, can we at least use spoiler tags?

I apologize for that. Edited in the spoiler tag.

7 minutes ago, a bear said:

It's a de facto thing. You won't hear somebody shout "I hate Corrin, he's so fucking stupid unless he's a chick!"

But there are observable differences in how the audience views male and female characters. Men should take charge and not back down from antagonists like Garon or Hans from Conquest. While women should stay reserved and wait for help since we don't want to see them in danger. People don't feel this way because they're sexist, it's just conditioning in how we're told stories. Fates is also the game that has 10 royals (4 male, 5 female, and 1 corrin) and 5 ultimate, personal weapons. Guess how those weapons were distributed? An easy metaphor for how much impact the female royals had on the plot in any version of the game.

7 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

And yet that doesn't make them be more noticed than the guys most of the time. And look how the story of Celica went. Despite what she did, she was ultimately at the mercy of that Duma worshipper and Alm did have to save her. She didn't play that much of a story role at the end when it came to defeating Duma, unless I'm mistaken, but I don't think I am. 

That's how it is in the end, but if you look at the game as a whole,

Spoiler

The path that Celica chose was actually right all along, while Alm's lead to him killing his own father. Saving Mila and stopping Duma was indeed the true way to end the conflict, and King Rudolf's true intention. Alm's straightforward path to war may have presented some good, but ultimately it is the linearity of his thinking that lead to him killing Rudolf, even if he did plan this. Echoes does not touch upon this, however.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

13 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

Is this an accidental double post that got ninja'd?? LOL

I've been hit with the double post glitch before, but I only see my one post up there.

@Arcanite Your Nino KO'd a full health Xander, Disgusting.

Edited by Rezzy

7 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

I apologize for that. Edited in the spoiler tag.

No problem, just making sure that stuff isnt getting spoiled for people. I know personally part of Fates was spoiled for me, so it kind of took away the one twist I wouldnt of seen coming. Just want to make sure that doesnt happen to someone else, or me again.

20 minutes ago, a bear said:

Ive seen it a lot actually. Happens quite a bit on Reddit and I have seen it a few times here. Not even going to talk about gamefaqs. A lot of people give F!Corrin a pass for things they both do, for the reason that she is more attractive. I will at least give them credit that it is in a way a joke, kind of. The ones that are really ridiculous are the ones that claim M!Corrin is terrible, yet place F!Corrin on a pedestal. They are both the same character, yet they act like they are completely different and that F!Corrin is somehow the better character. They arent, they are the same character, just gender swapped.

Hell, I even find myself doing it to a certain extent. When the Female Corrin Figma released I really wanted it. But if it was male Corrin? I Wouldnt of cared. The fact that she is a female does effect how people perceive and like the character.

Edited by Tolvir