Voting Gauntlet: Battle of the Mages!

Vaximillian

4 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

That's how it is in the end, but if you look at the game as a whole,

Reveal hidden contents

The path that Celica chose was actually right all along, while Alm's lead to him killing his own father. Saving Mila and stopping Duma was indeed the true way to end the conflict, and King Rudolf's true intention. Alm's straightforward path to war may have presented some good, but ultimately it is the linearity of his thinking that lead to him killing Rudolf, even if he did plan this. Echoes does not touch upon this, however.

While there is some truth to that:

Spoiler

That is not completely the case. Mila's plan was bound to fail ultimately because had Alm not killed Rudolf, Falchion would never have been inherited and Duma would never have been defeated. That was the entire plan that Rudolf had concocted after all. In fact, had it not been for Alm's actions, Celica would have been dead. Her path ultimately did end up in failure and would have resulted in her death had Alm's path didn't continue on that led him to saving her and then defeating Duma once and for all. 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

No problem, just making sure that stuff isnt getting spoiled for people. I know personally part of Fates was spoiled for me, so it kind of took away the one twist I wouldnt of seen coming. Just want to make sure that doesnt happen to someone else, or me again.

Gotcha. Will be sure to add spoiler tags on those grounds.

42 minutes ago, Taxon said:

Absolutely. I would totally be up for having a friendly discussion. Even if we both maintain our stances on the character by the end of it, I will have at least gotten the chance to sample the perspective of someone who seems to have interpreted Tharja in almost the exact opposite way I have. Best case scenario, you might even temper my hate a little.

...Not having this conversation tonight though. Way too tired.

...I'm not sure if I should be interpreting this as sarcasm or not...

Oh no, none intended at all. I was just too tired to think of an adequate response, but I respect your view in that I can't disagree with your point

I'm just glad we all seem to agree Corrin stinks.

And on topic; Tharja's lead continues to rise. I might just start using some flags (besides saving some for tomorrow night just in case), since I've used none so far this round besides the 1 3x multiplier I was awake for after reset last night.

Just now, omegaxis1 said:

While there is some truth to that:

Hide contents

That is not completely the case. Mila's plan was bound to fail ultimately because had Alm not killed Rudolf, Falchion would never have been inherited and Duma would never have been defeated. That was the entire plan that Rudolf had concocted after all. In fact, had it not been for Alm's actions, Celica would have been dead. Her path ultimately did end up in failure and would have resulted in her death had Alm's path didn't continue on that led him to saving her and then defeating Duma once and for all. 

Spoiler

Did Alm actually have to kill Rudolf to gain access to the Falchion? I don't think there can only be one wielder at once.

Rudolf's plan involved him dying, but iirc according to the memory fragment between him and Mycen, his death was unrelated to the gods being purged; it was to gather the world's hate onto himself, so that he could purge the world of hate. I'll have to go check again, though. Honestly it's kinda convoluted, and I don't really see how he had to die first, unless I forgot something. If the truth had just been revealed to Alm as he arrived at Rigel's capital, couldn't Alm and Rudolf have stood up against Duma together?

Ultimately I think Alm and Celica are equally important to the story; the dam on the border of Zofia and Rigel is a symbol of that. They both need each other, and their actions are all impactful, unlike in SS, where Eirika doesn't really do important things throughout her side, while Ephraim basically ends a country.

Hmm...

Alm and Celica (SoV spoilers)

Alm has most of the important plot points in his side, and Celica is esencially converted in a damsel in disaster in the end of the game; SoV makes this even more evident including well, brain-washing... This would be that bad if wasn't for the fact the image of Alm is a lot more highlighted what Celica's, she is overshadowed for Alm.

Lyn and the Eliwood/Hector duo doesn't need and explanation (she is filler)

Eirika and Ephraim

At least Eirika has the opportunity to be more important than Ephraim because of her own route and the fact her route actually includes more important plot points; the most important thing we know in Ephraim's route is about what the hell happened with Vigarde.

Ike and Micaiah

Funy, both of them are neccesary to the end game to be possible, Micaiah in a more literal way, Ike in a moral way... But... Well... IS loves Ike, and he got more time to do things than the one he needed... In fact, his only completely relevant plot point in his character arc to be resolved is the Black Knight

Chrom, Robin and Lucina

Actually, I consider Lucina more important than Chrom since the moment she appears, Chrom essencially works as a foil to Robin, and Lucina has the proper time to explain the deal with her... Robin is the real main character anyway.

That is just my opinion :P

3 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:
  Hide contents

Did Alm actually have to kill Rudolf to gain access to the Falchion? I don't think there can only be one wielder at once.

Rudolf's plan involved him dying, but iirc according to the memory fragment between him and Mycen, his death was unrelated to the gods being purged; it was to gather the world's hate onto himself, so that he could purge the world of hate. I'll have to go check again, though. Honestly it's kinda convoluted, and I don't really see how he had to die first, unless I forgot something. If the truth had just been revealed to Alm as he arrived at Rigel's capital, couldn't Alm and Rudolf have stood up against Duma together?

Ultimately I think Alm and Celica are equally important to the story; the dam on the border of Zofia and Rigel is a symbol of that. They both need each other, and their actions are all impactful, unlike in SS, where Eirika doesn't really do important things throughout her side, while Ephraim basically ends a country.

I agree with this especially for SoV at least Eirika you pick her then it's all her the entire game.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

Considering that I've only seen the Bonus for Leo twice, he's been holding up against Robin better then I expected.  I've still got over 2000 Flags in reserve.  I'm not sure how much time I'll have to play tomorrow, but if there's still no bonus by tomorrow, I guess I'll just start unloading flags, then, so I don't lose them.

Corrin stuff:

Spoiler

I don't know how common or rare the sentiment is, but as far as differentiating the Corrins is concerned, I always try to view the avatars as their own characters, and in the case of Fates, went with the box art to decide which path got which Corrin. So for me at least, I attribute the events of conquest to F!Corrin, and likewise Birthright is M!Corrin. Not gonna get into a debate about which I prefer, as fates as a whole is definitely lacking in places.  Just figured I'd put that stance out there for why somebody might view the Corrins apart from each other.

As to the gauntlet, still doing what I can for Leo. Been encountering a ton of reds though, so Rezzy's Ursula has definitely been the MVP of the allies I've been getting so far. 

1 minute ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Yes, he actually did. Because Rudolf actually had to be the tyrannical emperor that needed to be stopped, and had to also be the criminal that stole the goddess Mila and nearly led the continent to ruin. For that, a hero had to step forth and defeat him, and then take Falchion and stop Duma. Thus Alm would be the undisputed ruler of the entire continent. Not to say that Rudolf's plan was ingenius. It was a huge gamble, as it literally rode on Alm choosing to fight and Alm not getting killed in the process.

I'm not saying that they aren't important. I just feel that personally Celica got overshadowed. And because Alm seems to be the ultimate hero that helped win the war, to history, it seems more like Alm's path was the correct one, not Celica's.

3 minutes ago, Troykv said:

Hmm...

Alm and Celica (SoV spoilers)

Hide contents

Alm has most of the important plot points in his side, and Celica is esencially converted in a damsel in disaster in the end of the game; SoV makes this even more evident including well, brain-washing... This would be that bad if wasn't for the fact the image of Alm is a lot more highlighted what Celica's, she is overshadowed for Alm.

Lyn and the Eliwood/Hector duo doesn't need and explanation (she is filler)

Eirika and Ephraim

Hide contents

At least Eirika has the opportunity to be more important than Ephraim because of her own route and the fact her route actually includes more important plot points; the most important thing we know in Ephraim's route is about what the hell happened with Vigarde.

Ike and Micaiah

Hide contents

Funy, both of them are neccesary to the end game to be possible, Micaiah in a more literal way, Ike in a moral way... But... Well... IS loves Ike, and he got more time to do things than the one he needed... In fact, his only completely relevant plot point in his character arc to be resolved is the Black Knight

Chrom, Robin and Lucina

Hide contents

Actually, I consider Lucina more important than Chrom since the moment she appears, Chrom essencially works as a foil to Robin, and Lucina has the proper time to explain the deal with her... Robin is the real main character anyway.

That is just my opinion :P

And your opinion is duly noted. You do have a good point in the case of Eirika's route existing already showing that she can be a full lead. But still, the fact that Ephraim still has one does overshadow her's a bit. Plus, given how Ephraim is the much more useful character than her, it goes to how Ephraim is more valued over her. 

I agree with the rest of your points.

18 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Ive seen it a lot actually. Happens quite a bit on Reddit and I have seen it a few times here. Not even going to talk about gamefaqs. A lot of people give F!Corrin a pass for things they both do, for the reason that she is more attractive. I will at least give them credit that it is in a way a joke, kind of. The ones that are really ridiculous are the ones that claim M!Corrin is terrible, yet place F!Corrin on a pedestal. They are both the same character, yet they act like they are completely different and that F!Corrin is somehow the better character. They arent, they are the same character, just gender swapped.

Well, they do act differently to an extent, but not enough to make as much of a difference as the people you are talking about seem to think and nothing really story based is affected.

1 minute ago, Tarilaan said:

Corrin stuff:

Hide contents

I don't know how common or rare the sentiment is, but as far as differentiating the Corrins is concerned, I always try to view the avatars as their own characters, and in the case of Fates, went with the box art to decide which path got which Corrin. So for me at least, I attribute the events of conquest to F!Corrin, and likewise Birthright is M!Corrin. Not gonna get into a debate about which I prefer, as fates as a whole is definitely lacking in places.  Just figured I'd put that stance out there for why somebody might view the Corrins apart from each other.

As to the gauntlet, still doing what I can for Leo. Been encountering a ton of reds though, so Rezzy's Ursula has definitely been the MVP of the allies I've been getting so far. 

Glad she's come in handy.  I've been seeing mostly Blues, particularly Robins, followed by Reds.  Not too many Greens, except for Bunny Chrom bizarrely enough.

2 minutes ago, Tarilaan said:

Corrin stuff:

Reveal hidden contents

I can understand that point, that would make a bit of sense. The people I am describing though dont see it that way. They blatantly disregard the fact that they make the same choices and act the same.

And is that a fanmade Heroes sprite of Aran, or did I miss something and he is in the game?

Just now, omegaxis1 said:
  Hide contents

Yes, he actually did. Because Rudolf actually had to be the tyrannical emperor that needed to be stopped, and had to also be the criminal that stole the goddess Mila and nearly led the continent to ruin. For that, a hero had to step forth and defeat him, and then take Falchion and stop Duma. Thus Alm would be the undisputed ruler of the entire continent. Not to say that Rudolf's plan was ingenius. It was a huge gamble, as it literally rode on Alm choosing to fight and Alm not getting killed in the process.

I'm not saying that they aren't important. I just feel that personally Celica got overshadowed. And because Alm seems to be the ultimate hero that helped win the war, to history, it seems more like Alm's path was the correct one, not Celica's.

Spoiler

Rudolf's whole plan is a bit absurd to me, but that'd be shaking the very foundations of the game.

From the perspective of an NPC living in Alm and Celica's era, definitely; Alm's actions are heard all across the continent, while Celica's path is literally supposed to be "in the shadows", what with the subjects she deals with. However, from the perspective of a player controlling the two characters, I see them as equals up until the dumb "if I die Alm will be saved" plot that Chapter 4 Celica went through.

3 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:
  Hide contents

Rudolf's whole plan is a bit absurd to me, but that'd be shaking the very foundations of the game.

From the perspective of an NPC living in Alm and Celica's era, definitely; Alm's actions are heard all across the continent, while Celica's path is literally supposed to be "in the shadows", what with the subjects she deals with. However, from the perspective of a player controlling the two characters, I see them as equals up until the dumb "if I die Alm will be saved" plot that Chapter 4 Celica went through.

Spoiler

Exactly. I am not saying that Celica is wrong, nor am I saying that Alm was right. Both had their merits. Alm wanted to continue fighting back against Rudolf, and Celica wanted to end the war more peacefully. Both are necessary in fact. In a sense, you can see Alm and Celica as Duma and Mila as well, only that Alm and Celica learned to agree together. And then banged.

So yeah, both sides had their points, but for history, Alm's side will be understood more. Which explains why 2000 years later, Walhart used Alm's method to a more extreme force, and thus ruled with strength. He's like Hideyoshi from Sekgoku Basara.

12 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

I can understand that point, that would make a bit of sense. The people I am describing though dont see it that way. They blatantly disregard the fact that they make the same choices and act the same.

And is that a fanmade Heroes sprite of Aran, or did I miss something and he is in the game?

It's fanmade.

There's an entire thread dedicated to making custom sprites on this forum (Sprite Assembly Thread). You should check it out! @BANRYU @Vaximillian and @Kon do great work!

40 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

@Arcanite Your Nino KO'd a full health Xander, Disgusting.

HEH

HEH HEH

HEH HEH HEH

MUAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE CINNAMON ROLL COMETH

16 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

They do act differently...on the small things...sometimes.

17 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

4 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

It's fanmade.

There's an entire thread dedicated to making custom sprites on this forum (Sprite Assembly Thread). You should check it out! @BANRYU @Vaximillian and @Kon do great work!

Yeah, @BANRYU made this one for me. I wish he was in the game, but sadly he's not likely to come for quite some time. I'd imagine at least not until the main Dawn Brigade members get added. 

But yeah, they all do amazing work over there - just be sure to make their lives easier and be as detailed as possible if you make a request :^_^: