Tempest Torture

Arthur97

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm rank 722 right now. I have no idea how this has happened... I fail my runs constantly. Actually it's probably mostly from my desperate grind for the orbs these last few hours (Jaffar why do you not come to me??). It'll be interesting to see where I end up in the morning. 

Lucius is proving to be worth his weight in gold! I have accordingly rewarded him by having him inherit as many new healer skills as I could spare. Because why not!

Edited by DarkLordIvy

I managed to get over 4,000 points...it's very late here, and I should be sleeping...but I am not :'D My teams, for the most part, now can carry me to the seventh battle in the top lunatic section. I usually lose, but at least I'm at that point. I'm glad to still be on-track for the Quickened Pulse Seal... :'D

Also, I'm extremely surprised to be within the top 100,000 for ranking...I doubt that'll last, but it's still nice to see haha~

1 hour ago, Othin said:

Three deaths and I still got A speed somehow. Do losses not count or something?

If you fail a map, any turns spent on that map do not count against your speed score.

5 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

[Here be solid advice, condensed into three points]

1. Use a proper Healer. Sustain is important in Tempest Trials.
2. Important General Tips - Triangle Adept, Raven Tomes, Breaker Skills // Desperation // Dancers // Healers
3. Suggested Team Format - Red Mage (Lucina Tharja), Green Mage (Nino), Healer (Rehabilitate), Dancer (Azura or Ninian)

On the filler bonus team, Ardent Sacrifice + Marth does a decent enough job at keeping people up. I try to use a 2-Team system, using the filler team to get through as much as possible (ideally to round 4) before moving on to my main team*. If I were to make a change, I could try subbing out Marth for Serra for better heals all around, but this is supposed to be a "quick clear, filler team." They are meant to be replaced at some point as I do not have a good 5* that I can incorporate into my main team. (A 5-Star Lucina would work wonders, but I do not have one. Tharja would probably be my best bet, but the one I have is +ATT, -DEF and is just a 4*. That, and Nino is superior to Tharja,)

As for running a healer on my main, the only healer I really have of use is a 4*-Star, Highly Inherited, Lvl 33 Azama (I placed lots of staffie skills on him such as the various assists and specials, but he still lacks proper passives. However, he does has Rehabilitate.) Thing is, if I do run him, I am not sure who to replace since everyone plays an important role...

Spoiler

1. Nino helps with healing with Breath of Life while also serving as my nuke as she runs Fury, Desperation, and Breath of Life. Sure, BoL3 is not as good a proper healing, but it helps a lot. Also, since I am running Fury Nino and HP carries over round to round, I can't use Nino to tank Reinhardt or Olwen on the last chapter if they show up.

2. Erika is my primary support unit as she runs all the buffs which is important for Nino. If she was properly outfitted with skills (Triangle Adept 3 or Distant Counter, Renewal, and maybe Ardent Sacrifice/Reciprocal Aid instead of Rally Defense), she would help the team go farther, but as it stands I have to deal with the Erika I have. I could try subbing out Erika for a 4* Olivia or a healer, but then Nino's -blade tome damage will be more difficult to set up (Ephraim has his weapon and Rally Resistance while Ryoma has Hone SPD).

3. Ephraim is my main physical tank, and while I would love to run Triangle Adept + Lancebreaker, I fully invested into Defiant DEF and Swordbreaker. In an ideal setting, I could replace Ephraim with Azura since she can handle Reds with the Sapphire Lance and dance Nino, but I don't have an Azura. Also, Ephraim is my only outfitted Blue unit. I have Sharena who does okay, but she is not fully outfitted and is currently on the Filler team.

4. Ryoma is my general "jack of all trades" character since he has Distant Counter, and handles Green units. He also serves as my main Veronica counter, although Nino who is properly buffed and not panicking could also probably do the job. Instead of swapping out Erika, I can swap out Ryoma for a 4* Olivia or a healer. The problem with this is that my Erika does not have much in terms of damage output as she is not +Atk (she is +SPD) and only has Triangle Adept 1 instead of TA 3.
TLDR: I can't sub out Nino or Ephraim as they are my only outfitted characters of that color.

Also, I have no feathers to spare. I just promoted Michalis to 5-Star and have 1500 feathers at the moment. So, no 5-Star Olivia or Azama for me. // My pulls have also been rather poor as of late, so no Lucina, Azura, or Bride!Cordelia to carry me to victory either.

As for the general tips...

Spoiler

1. I would love running Triangle Adept on Erika and Ephraim, but I don't have any Roys to inherit from and the siblings' SP levels are low. Erika has TA 1 while Ephraim invested into Defiant DEF. Ephraim also runs Swordbreaker, but I want him to eventually transition into Lancebreaker instead since TA should handle most Reds. (I could run Quick Riposte on Ephraim, but I prefer Lancebreaker on him since it also works on the player phase and combos well with TA.) // As for Spring Camilla, I want to run the Triangle Raven Riposte build, but do not have the characters available to properly outfit her (for max stuff. I try not to settle with lesser versions of the skills since I think in the long term.)

2. Desperation is an amazing skill and I do run a Furious, Desperate Nino. I also have Desperation on Tharja and Olwen, but Tharja is a 4* character while Olwen lacks the damage output without a +Atk nature and Life and Death. Sadly, I do not have any more Pegasus-Knights-In-Training to inherit Desperation from.

3. Dancers are amazing, yes, but all I have is a 4* Neutral Olivia to work with. She is not even level 40 or has proper Skill Inheritance yet since I am waiting for "Olivia Prime" to show up and invest into. Still, the Dance ability is extremely powerful, especially when used on an outfitted Nino.

4. I understand the desire for healers in Tempest Trials due to HP, but I find running the healing skills can work just as well. Besides my 4* Azama, I do not have any outfitted healers with all the skills, and even Azama is not properly outfitted. Now, if I had a team full of Distant / Close Counters that can tank for days, I'll probably run a healer since it synergizes well.

Anyways, thanks for the tips! I'll see if I can swap out Ryoma or Erika for a Healer and see how I fare.
- - - - -
* I don't understand the fascination with "immediately surrender and solo everything with one team." Ideally, there should be a one team solo in the first place, but if one needs to field a second team for the bonus unit, why not go full out with it? Use the second team to one's advantage and to offload some of the earlier chapters so the main team can start fresh about halfway in. Using the second team merely to field the bonus and then surrender seems like a waste if one has the resources to somewhat outfit a "B" Team.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

5 hours ago, Kiran said:

That's actually quite similar to my team. I run Ephraim (hone speed + reposition), Nino (Fury3), Tharja, and Genny (rehabiliate, fortify res seal). This team can typically pull themselves through. Though I'm thinkng of adding more buffs to the team since Tharja sometimes misses the cutoff, and adding repositon to Tharja as well. At the very least, this team should net you high 500s. 

That sounds like a good team composition. Ephraim provides the buffs and physical bulk while Nino and Tharja nuke things. Genny heals, but she can also nuke things due to Wrathful Staff (unless that was swapped out).

I could run something similar if I ran...

1. Buff Ephraim (Probably Fortify DEF, although if solo he may want Hone SPD. If only he had lots of SP and I had proper SI fodder...)
2. Nino (The character I do have fully outfitted and can actually use. +SPD, -RES, Draconic Aura, Drag Back, Fury, Desperation, and Breath of Life. Nino does her best!)
3. 5* Tharja (Mine already has Desperation, she just needs Robin Life and Death to "complete" her build. Sadly, my Tharja is a mere 4* and there is no L&D3 in sight, and she would appreciate the extra polish with her other skills.)
4. 5* Azama (The healer I put the most effort into, but he really needs passives and an upgrade to 5-star status.)

Thing is, I lack the feathers to promote Tharja and she would really appreciated L&D3. Azama I can leave as a 4-Star as he is but a healbot, but outfitting him will help immensely with his survivability.

Edited by Sire

The only problem with tempest trials is that you get hero merit too damn fast in them. I'm going to have to cycle out my A team in like 10 runs or so, and then I'm going to have to cycle out my B team in like 30 runs after that. And, once my B team is gone, I don't get to use dancers anymore because I only have Azura and Olivia---Azura's already maxed, and Olivia is quickly approaching it.

Edit: B. Cordelia, who I basically just got, is already 600+ in hero merit. Firstworldproblems.jpg

Edited by DehNutCase

1 minute ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Got my first perfect 7-map Lunatic trial clear!

[Image]

Congratulations on your perfect run!

4 minutes ago, Sire said:

Congratulations on your perfect run!

Thanks! Maps got cleared out more quickly thanks to Tharja having Desperation 3 and Moonbow and Reinhardt having Lancebreaker 3 and Moonbow. Also lucked out on the final map as Veronica's teammates are Cecilia, Julia, Stahl, and Draug.

Meet the team:

Spoiler

Lyn (Bride of the Plains; +1 merge; +Spd/-Res): Candlelight, Rehabilitate, Swift-Winds Balm, HP +5, Dazzling Staff 3, Hone Atk 3, HP +3 seal

Olivia (4*; +1 merge): Ruby Sword, Dance, New Moon, Def +2, Wings of Mercy 3, Hone Atk 3, Fortify Res 1 seal

Tharja (5*; +Spd/-HP): Raudrblade+, Ardent Sacrifice, Moonbow, Darting Blow 3, Desperation 3, Spur Res 3, Spd +1 seal

Reinhardt (5*; +Atk/-Spd): Dire Thunder, Draw Back, Moonbow, Death Blow 2, Lancebreaker 3, Spur Atk 2, Atk +1 seal

16 minutes ago, Sire said:

* I don't understand the fascination with "immediately surrender and solo everything with one team." Ideally, there should be a one team solo in the first place, but if one needs to field a second team for the bonus unit, why not go full out with it? Use the second team to one's advantage and to offload some of the earlier chapters so the main team can start fresh about halfway in. Using the second team merely to field the bonus and then surrender seems like a waste if one has the resources to somewhat outfit a "B" Team.

Speed score. If your weaker team is significantly weaker than your stronger team and your stronger team has no trouble bulldozing through the entire thing, it's better to surrender immediately so that your weaker team is not hampering your speed score by completing maps in a sub-par number of turns.

11 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Speed score. If your weaker team is significantly weaker than your stronger team and your stronger team has no trouble bulldozing through the entire thing, it's better to surrender immediately so that your weaker team is not hampering your speed score by completing maps in a sub-par number of turns.

I know that. I guess I am simply overestimating the ability for most players to have a decent "B" team, and/or underestimating players who have a solid bulldozer team that can handle everything.

I do not have the luxury of a bulldozer team, so I'm stuck with the cards I've been dealt. Running two teams for me makes sense, but I guess I'm in the minority.

1 minute ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

LOL double misclick for a double death. Fuck me.

Yikes. Did you turn off double tap to wait? Or are you moving and then accidentally double tapping?

3 minutes ago, Infinite Dreams said:

My Celica needs some SP, so I tried switching to a team without a healer.  Got a score of 705!

Team: Lucina, Celica, Azura, Reinhardt

My Lucina has Renewal 3 and Reciprocal Aid, so she can (sorta) be a healer! :lol: 

That's pretty much my team, except I use Julia instead of Celica. It works pretty well, doesn't it?

All right, so I can't win 5-Lunatic unless I get really lucky with my third team's survival (I can't even pretend to have a fourth team)- should I be doing Hard for the multipliers, or is Lunatic still more profitable?

If my first three teams manage to beat all 6 maps then my 4rth team can usually win the last map. But I haven't had really bad spawns yet. Cecilia, Hector, Frederick would be bad. Ryoma can only handle so much greens.

6 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

All right, so I can't win 5-Lunatic unless I get really lucky with my third team's survival (I can't even pretend to have a fourth team)- should I be doing Hard for the multipliers, or is Lunatic still more profitable?

For a point of reference, a perfect 5-Hard trial rewards 252 pts with the 40% bonus included. You basically need to clear more than I think 4 out of 5 or 7 in a Lunatic run to profit more than Hard mode.

1 minute ago, Roflolxp54 said:

For a point of reference, a perfect 5-Hard trial rewards 252 pts with the 40% bonus included. You basically need to clear more than I think 4 out of 5 or 7 in a Lunatic run to profit more than Hard mode.

Phew...

My basic plan is Tharja/Nino/Klein/Lissa on the first sweep, Linde/Lilina/Robin(F)/Priscilla(22) as a stop-gap to the final map, and then Ryoma/Hector/Sharena/Olivia for that last map.

1 minute ago, phineas81707 said:

Phew...

My basic plan is Tharja/Nino/Klein/Lissa on the first sweep, Linde/Lilina/Robin(F)/Priscilla(22) as a stop-gap to the final map, and then Ryoma/Hector/Sharena/Olivia for that last map.

Do you have a Lucina, incidentally? She's amazing in Tempest because Falchion is one broken ass sword, and she happens to have the color and the spread to ruin Veronica. (A special proc or +9.5 damage (TA 3, L&D and a buff, +Atk and L&D, etc), will have Lucina 1RKO).

I personally run a team of Lucina, Cordelia, B. Cordelia, and dancer. They almost never take damage because everyone dies before they can counter (and the fact that 1-2 range counters is rare as hell means that you can often just chip for free with whatever range the enemies can't counter at). The team gets perfect Lunatic runs fairly consistently. It helps that Cordelia has reposition and Lucina has swap, so the AI usually doesn't get to start a fight, ever.

That said, it helps that I'm used to dragging my all glass team through arena, so perfect positioning is almost never a problem for me, especially considering that most maps have the enemies arrive one by one.

If your Tharja, Nino, and Klein are optimized (Klein basically starts optimized), it shouldn't be a problem to just run a dancer in place of Lissa, maybe add an excellent melee DPS, and just steamroll maps without losing hp.

3 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Do you have a Lucina, incidentally? She's amazing in Tempest because Falchion is one broken ass sword, and she happens to have the color and the spread to ruin Veronica. (A special proc or +9.5 damage (TA 3, L&D and a buff, +Atk and L&D, etc), will have Lucina 1RKO).

I personally run a team of Lucina, Cordelia, B. Cordelia, and dancer. They almost never take damage because everyone dies before they can counter (and the fact that 1-2 range counters is rare as hell means that you can often just chip for free with whatever range the enemies can't counter at). The team gets perfect Lunatic runs fairly consistently. It helps that Cordelia has reposition and Lucina has swap, so the AI usually doesn't get to start a fight, ever.

That said, it helps that I'm used to dragging my all glass team through arena, so perfect positioning is almost never a problem for me, especially considering that most maps have the enemies arrive one by one.

If your Tharja, Nino, and Klein are optimized (Klein basically starts optimized), it shouldn't be a problem to just run a dancer in place of Lissa, maybe add an excellent melee DPS, and just steamroll maps without losing hp.

No Lucina. If you're looking for a Falchion user, all I have is a level 33 or so Alm.

The two mages are 4*, so they suffer thanks to that. Tharja also has no inheritance apart from her new Reposition (from a Selena- I'm of half a mind to give her TA2). Switching Linde and Nino's position while switching out Female Robin for Male is also an option, but Male Robin has no damage due to no Blarraven+ and a -Atk nature.