"Tremendous amount of characters will be available"

Jedi

Sword users will almost certainly be the majority. That's just common sense. It can be mitigated by having a variety of users, though; Chrom, Ryoma, the twins, and Marth are all just foot soldiers with standard swords. Xander wields a sword but plays significantly different due to his horse, and Corrin's got her dragon body to complement her swordplay; similarly, anyone equipped with, say, a greatsword, or two swords, or some other variation is going to be different enough to feel unique even if it's still technically a sword-user.

I'm more curious what they'll do about archers. I can't see many ways to have more than one archer character feel unique. Hell, I don't even know how they'll work at all if they stick with FE-style bows, HW's only pure-bow-user wielded dual crossbows the way one would wield dual SMGs.

Maybe they could use the bow itself like a staff, like Hawkeye in Captain America: Civil War...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Anomalocaris said:

Sword users will almost certainly be the majority. That's just common sense. It can be mitigated by having a variety of users, though; Chrom, Ryoma, the twins, and Marth are all just foot soldiers with standard swords. Xander wields a sword but plays significantly different due to his horse, and Corrin's got her dragon body to complement her swordplay; similarly, anyone equipped with, say, a greatsword, or two swords, or some other variation is going to be different enough to feel unique even if it's still technically a sword-user.

I'm more curious what they'll do about archers. I can't see many ways to have more than one archer character feel unique. Hell, I don't even know how they'll work at all if they stick with FE-style bows, HW's only pure-bow-user wielded dual crossbows the way one would wield dual SMGs.

Maybe they could use the bow itself like a staff, like Hawkeye in Captain America: Civil War...

This may give you some ideas.

8 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

I think they implied that certain character may even be allowed to equip different weapons. Chrom, for example, may also use lances.

4 minutes ago, Jedi said:

This may give you some ideas.

Ah, those are interesting. Not sure how well they'd translate to FE's setting, where bows are specifically ranged weapons with limited close-range options, but they can just fudge that for the sake of gameplay.

Also, that second video's characters look like they were designed by Akira Toriyama.

Also, that second video's characters look like they were designed by Akira Toriyama.

That's because he is Dragon Quest's character designer.

1 minute ago, Arthur97 said:

I think they implied that certain character may even be allowed to equip different weapons. Chrom, for example, may also use lances.

That's probably the case yeah. Certain attacks will probably be shared by weapon type rather than unique for each character.

Just now, Jedi said:

That's because he is Dragon Quest's character designer.

So that's a Dragon Quest Warriors game, then. I knew he did DQ, didn't realize it had a Warriors game.

So that's a Dragon Quest Warriors game, then. I knew he did DQ, didn't realize it had a Warriors game.

Yeah Dragon Quest Heroes, which used a Warriors formula, played kind of like a weird mixture of Tower Defense & Warriors game with all kinds of Dragon Quest quirks.

The 2nd one just came out a few weeks ago which focuses more on an Open World (haven't played that one yet however)

That's probably the case yeah. Certain attacks will probably be shared by weapon type rather than unique for each character.

I think someone mentioned the possibility that generic weapons share movesets while special weapons (Falchion and so forth) will have unique ones. I'm not sure if they'd go that far though. Maybe only secondary generic weapons would use generic moves.

10 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

I think someone mentioned the possibility that generic weapons share movesets while special weapons (Falchion and so forth) will have unique ones. I'm not sure if they'd go that far though. Maybe only secondary generic weapons would use generic moves.

I'm thinking something like this:

Every character has a weapon that they can't swap out for another weapon. If they use that weapon, they get to use their own unique moveset. They might be able to equip other weapons which will use generic movesets but would allow the wielder to make use of the properties of that weapon (like using their Magic stat for damage if they wield the Levin Sword or have their attacks deal supereffective damage to armored units if they use an Armorslayer). These generic sword movesets could also vary a bit, depending on the weapon: The Levin Sword could for example have a moveset that allows the wielder to conjure lightning and being generally a bit more magey, while the Armorslayer could be slow on attack speed due to their size.