What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

26 minutes ago, Life said:

I was thinking Arvis as the major antagonist rather than Manfloy and comparing him to Edelgard. But yes, I see your point.

Arvis doesn't work as an antagonist on his own, because he was forced into his situation and presented as merely a victim of fate. Remove Manfroy and he has no motivation and wouldn't have done anything.

Edelgard, on the other hand, is in full control of her actions. She makes her own fate, if you will. She's not being blackmailed or manipulated at all, and could stand as a villain on her own.  

And so, I do not think comparisons of these two really work. They're far too different. Edelgard to me is more similar Walhart than Arvis. 

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Fire Brand said:

Arvis doesn't work as an antagonist on his own, because he was forced into his situation and presented as merely a victim of fate. Remove Manfroy and he has no motivation and wouldn't have done anything.

Edelgard, on the other hand, is in full control of her actions. She makes her own fate, if you will. She's not being blackmailed or manipulated at all, and could stand as a villain on her own.  

I don't really think that's the case of all. Its true that Manfroy has some leverage over Arvis but Arvis also has his own goals that are completely separate from Manfroy. Arvis even tells Manfroy he's not at all interested in Manfroy's idea of a new lopt empire and that he wants to create his own perfect world. Arvis seems invested enough in his idea of a perfect world that he likely would have fought for it even without Manfroy.  

In my series of "stop liking things I don't like" following Berkut, I'd like to bring up Felix from Three Houses.

Spoiler

Truthfully, I've been avoiding most TH discussion because I want to experience this marathon of a game at my own pace but I have peaked into a few Reddit threads and found the reception of Felix to be overwhelmingly positive. This surprised me because many of his supports and interactions have him outright hostile with even his alleged friends and family. He does have a few good supports like the one with Annette but he's downright abusive in others such as his support with Dedue (which admittedly was pretty shitty for Dedue as well) and Dimitri.

When you get down to who Felix is as a person, to me he's really unsympathetic. He does have a valid viewpoint about how it is twisted how people can venerate self sacrifice/death (Ingrid/Rodrigue) or let the wishes of the dead control the decisions of the living (Dimitri) but his fans, as I've seen, seem to hold him up as the only person with a valid stance on these topics. People even make the claim that Rodrigue abandoned him in favor of Dimitri, when it was Felix who severed ties. When I look at Felix, I see a man who is needlessly aggressive, is hyper focused on something as meaningless as being good with a sword (over having a value system he wants to uphold and protect) and doesn't want to be a part of anything. He's an edgy as fuck contrarian; the definition of edge that I thought the community would normally mock.

But people will go as far to say that recruiting him in CF is a good character arc for him. He joins Edelgard/Byleth despite not really believing in their dream, betraying his country and people while remorselessly cutting down his former friends and family. Yeah, he doesn't feel great about it but what drives this man to do a swan dive into the depths of hell?

Edited by NekoKnight

3 minutes ago, Fire Brand said:

I liked Felix because he felt like the voice of reason in Dimitri's path, and the main person calling him out on his actions. Other than that, I find his aggressiveness towards the other characters to be quite refreshing.

Pretty much this. Felix is one of the more subdued and subtle characters on the azure moon path. He never explicitly states why he acts so abrasive but it is somewhat implied that it’s a mix of denial and grief and people not really making an effort to understand the grief he feels. It makes him interesting to me honestly.

From the moment I first saw Felix I was convinced I would hate him. Aside from Takumi my experiences with tsundere's haven't gone very well. 

While I wouldn't say I like Felix I do feel he proved me wrong. Felix is a jerk but unlike most tsundere's he actually has valid points to make and isn't lashing out just because of his personal issues. He's harsh but surprisingly fair most of the time. Dimitri really is nuts and Dedue not minding it and being willing to follow orders even when they are completely messed up can get really dangerous. It probably helps that originally I suspected Felix big problem with Dimitri was that he wasn't racist enough which turned out to be incorrect. 

Felix isn't a pleasant person but he's not an irredeemable scumbag like Shinon nor an unreasonable tsundere either. 

Felix became one of my favorite characters the moment he was all "following orders without question is stupid", because that's something I 100% agree with and my main reason for disliking many Camus archetype characters and especially Xander.

3 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Felix isn't a pleasant person but he's not an irredeemable scumbag like Shinon nor an unreasonable tsundere either. 

Also this.

Continuing on my own "unpopular" opinions (I don't know if they really are unpopular, but eh. Here we go regardless):

• Annette isn't a boring character at all nor is she a bad unit
  • Flayn isn't annoying
  • The dubstep, on the other hand, is (for those who don't know, dubstep is one of my least favorite music genres, alongside rap, hip-hop, and German Schlager music)
  • I dislike Ferdinand, Lorenz, and Sylvain
  • Anna really doesn't need to be in every game. I actually actively dislike her, too. Awakening and Fates ruined her by making her all about money.

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Annette isn't a boring character at all nor is she a bad unit

If this is an unpopular opinion, it shouldn't be.

When I saw her character before the game was released, I thought she'd be that boring normal friend to Mercedes but she became one of my favorites. She's hard working, goofy in all the right ways, has an interesting dynamic with her father, and to really sell the whole character, she has some of the most natural voice acting in the game, in my humble opinion. She's just an all around charming person that doesn't need an absurd character gimmick to construct a personality around.

Shambhala is the best map in three houses. Don't get me wrong, I hate the idea of some sci fi dubstep city in fire emblem and it really ruins the aesthetic, but it's my favorite map simply because it isn't reused to death. It was the highlight of my SS/VW runs. 

And honestly, I quite enjoy the dubstep. There's a sense of ironic enjoyment in it, kind of like when the Sonic series starts experimenting. 

Since someone brought up Felix...

The reason I like him is because I happen to agree with a lot of the the things he says. Sure, he's kind of an ass about it but he's not wrong. I also love how he actually has some good dialogue against Dimitri after the timeskip because I'm not a fan of Dimitri at that point in the story.

On 9/26/2019 at 6:05 PM, DragonFlames said:

Annette isn't a boring character at all nor is she a bad unit

Annete is basically the main character of one of those older shojo where a lot of bad things happens to the protagonist but she never give up untill they finally get a turn for the better. She even has the obligatory missing father! I suppose that you may find her boring if you watched a lot of them when you are young(if you are italian, this is very likely, italian TV spammed the hell out of those in the 80s and 90s).

20 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

There isn't a single bad level in Conquest. Not one. I will defend the honor of all of them, every single last one of them, in single combat if I have to.

I thought Conquest was known for having the best maps? Fates is trashed for it's story, not gameplay

21 minutes ago, Mylady said:

I thought Conquest was known for having the best maps? Fates is trashed for it's story, not gameplay

Yeah but it seems half the fanbase thinks 2-5 of the maps are hard in a way that's "bullshit" or "unfair". Some conquest map always seems to wind up on top 10 lists of bad maps.

Edited by Alastor15243

On 9/26/2019 at 12:28 PM, Fire Brand said:

Shambhala is the best map in three houses. Don't get me wrong, I hate the idea of some sci fi dubstep city in fire emblem and it really ruins the aesthetic, but it's my favorite map simply because it isn't reused to death. It was the highlight of my SS/VW runs. 

And honestly, I quite enjoy the dubstep. There's a sense of ironic enjoyment in it, kind of like when the Sonic series starts experimenting. 

The theme feeling so curse in a Fire Emblem it's probably part of the appeal.

Shambhala it's a very cursed place, and even the characters are sick of it's overbearning presence; this helps this place to feel even more alien.

Edited by Troykv

On 9/27/2019 at 6:51 PM, Alastor15243 said:

There isn't a single bad level in Conquest. Not one. I will defend the honor of all of them, every single last one of them, in single combat if I have to. 

The Kitsune Genocide map is among the worst maps in the series, and I love CQ and will defend the Ninja Map before it.

2 minutes ago, SubwayBossEmmett said:

The Kitsune Genocide map is among the worst maps in the series, and I love CQ and will defend the Ninja Map before it.

Kitsune illusions are completely fair, just a bit tricky to plan around. The rules are explained and predictable, and it demands interesting strategies revolving around deciding when to player phase a challenge and when to enemy phase it. I also think the concept of enemies who can't be attacked until it's their turn would be a very interesting way to implement "ambush spawns" without the ambush, forcing a retreat rather than allowing you to blind-side them before they get a chance to do any damage.

2 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Kitsune illusions are completely fair, just a bit tricky to plan around. The rules are explained and predictable, and it demands interesting strategies revolving around deciding when to player phase a challenge and when to enemy phase it. I also think the concept of enemies who can't be attacked until it's their turn would be a very interesting way to implement "ambush spawns" without the ambush, forcing a retreat rather than allowing you to blind-side them before they get a chance to do any damage. 

There's a lot of problems that converge to make this truly a terrible map

A. It's a rout map meaning you have to wait for these units to suddenly be hittable

B. They have pass so you can't even quarantine them

C. They all have beastbane when like a good half of your army at least is gonna be mounted [Elise/Leo/Xander for sure and quite likely Silas/Jakob/Effie, and maybe even Dark Knight Nyx/Odin Bow Knight Niles, Keaton always having this weakness Great Knight Benny, Kinishi Knight Mozu, Great Knight Gunter and if you chose to use Peri] So basically the only people who can use Beast Killers without fear of Beast Bane are Wyvern Lords (Enjoy E lances on promotion Beruka and Camilla's class change) and Generals. I mean Kaze also has the Hunter's Knife but he's just a bit too squishy when you got life and death enemies around.

D. Kitsune have a stupid amount of speed and the environment is littered in forests as well, so even on the chance that you try to attack them on player phase and you miss you'll have to just wait a full extra turn for them. Makes routing even more fun.

I don't mind the putting your foot down approach to character pairings seen in Archanea, Valentia and Tellius games. In-game shipping is overrated.

39 minutes ago, SubwayBossEmmett said:

There's a lot of problems that converge to make this truly a terrible map

A. It's a rout map meaning you have to wait for these units to suddenly be hittable

B. They have pass so you can't even quarantine them

C. They all have beastbane when like a good half of your army at least is gonna be mounted [Elise/Leo/Xander for sure and quite likely Silas/Jakob/Effie, and maybe even Dark Knight Nyx/Odin Bow Knight Niles, Keaton always having this weakness Great Knight Benny, Kinishi Knight Mozu, Great Knight Gunter and if you chose to use Peri] So basically the only people who can use Beast Killers without fear of Beast Bane are Wyvern Lords (Enjoy E lances on promotion Beruka and Camilla's class change) and Generals. I mean Kaze also has the Hunter's Knife but he's just a bit too squishy when you got life and death enemies around.

D. Kitsune have a stupid amount of speed and the environment is littered in forests as well, so even on the chance that you try to attack them on player phase and you miss you'll have to just wait a full extra turn for them. Makes routing even more fun.

Yes, it's weird and screws with a lot of your strategies, but that just means you have to come up with new ones. And how much waiting are we really talking about when the enemies phase back and forth on alternating single turns?

On 9/27/2019 at 8:51 PM, Alastor15243 said:

Chapter 18 and specially 22 should not allow one to deploy units paired-up, so that one can focus on a single side of the map. Similarly, one should not be able to "ferry" units in Chapter 23.
Lunatic Endgame is not more interesting or even more difficult than its Hard version, but pure bullshit. I complete it, but it teaches me nothing.

Since we both like Conquest, it may be a better idea to continue this conversation in the Fates forum.

4 hours ago, SubwayBossEmmett said:

I will not try to change your opinion, but I can tell you that this map can be completed with ten-unit parties, no pre-promotes, no "backpacks", and obviously no Beast-Killer-General cheesing.
Check this message from last year, and this other from February. The Defence threshold is actually small than what it seems, and my key is a Cross-Formation with Elise at the centre.