More info for this week teased (no new characters yet?)

VincentASM

Straight from the horse's mouth:

In addition, this week there will be a follow-up report about the heroes from the Outrealms who have decided to join the battle in Fire Emblem Warriors! Look forward to it!

From the wording, I assume it's talking about the newly revealed Awakening characters from last week. Perhaps there will be (official) details about their play style?

I don't think it's talking about new characters (the "follow up report" is telling, unless I'm interpreting it wrong)--and we're probably too early for another set of reveals anyway.

Opinions from Japanese speakers would be welcome ^^

Edited by VincentASM

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

From the wording, I assume it's talking about the newly revealed Awakening characters from last week. Perhaps there will be (official) details about their play style?

I don't think it's talking about new characters (the "follow up report" is telling, unless I'm interpreting it wrong)--and we're probably too early for another set of reveals anyway.

Yeah, I'm thinking they are just going to be releasing some gameplay videos and more details about their moves/how they play. 

It doesn't really say anything about new characters, and like you said it's a bit too early anyway haha.

Also from the Famitsu website:

5964ca5ff319c_ScreenShot2017-07-11at8_53_33.thumb.png.498ece747f8f97c31ab0eb4bb8b71e18.png

A brief summary of what it's saying:

A few days ago at the Japan Expo in France, Robin, Lissa, Lucina, and Frederick were revealed, but in this issue of Famitsu more details will be delivered. In addition, information about the "Bonds conversation" will be revealed (which happens when characters grow more familiar with each other).

Edited by Torii

I was actually really hoping for this! Last week's trailer felt incomplete without gameplay and stuff, the game's website didn't update with the new characters, and we also had future Famitsu pages to look forward to, so I was like, we gotta get some gameplay next week or something!

SHOW ME FREDDY. :D

Edited by Anacybele

27 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I hope they show off some better animations since the E3 demo. The specials were pretty disappointing visually (and conceptually, but that's not getting fixed).

Could you clarify? They looked pretty much like what I expected.

1 hour ago, VincentASM said:

Straight from the horse's mouth:

Yeah. I think this is about Robin, Lissa, Frederick, and Lucina who got revealed this month.

12 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Could you clarify? They looked pretty much like what I expected.

The special animations were very clearly unfinished (Corrin just snapped back into her human form after her dragon attack) and unpolished, but that's to be expected from a demo build. I want to see the progress.

Conceptually, most of the specials are pretty boring. For characters other than Corrin, they're pretty much all the same: rapid slashes into one bigger slash. Marth breaks the mold a bit with his sword beams. The biggest downfall is making most specials cinematic when they don't have good ideas. I'm personally not a fan of cinematic specials in Warriors games in the first place, but they were quite well done in Hyrule Warriors because they had creative ideas.

27 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

The special animations were very clearly unfinished (Corrin just snapped back into her human form after her dragon attack) and unpolished, but that's to be expected from a demo build. I want to see the progress.

Conceptually, most of the specials are pretty boring. For characters other than Corrin, they're pretty much all the same: rapid slashes into one bigger slash. Marth breaks the mold a bit with his sword beams. The biggest downfall is making most specials cinematic when they don't have good ideas. I'm personally not a fan of cinematic specials in Warriors games in the first place, but they were quite well done in Hyrule Warriors because they had creative ideas.

There's only so much they can do with basic swordies-- HW's specials were more varied because the cast itself was far more varied than what we've seen here. At the very least what we've seen of Robin's and Lucina's light bow break the mold.

Judging by your latter comment, I take it you're more of a SW fan than a DW fan?

29 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

And...that's one of the problems with the current roster that's full of sword users. HW had a much bigger weapon variety and more...colorful characters and lore which lent to more imaginative move sets and special moves. FE Warriors has a rather uphill battle in that department. 

1 minute ago, Lord-Zero said:

And...that's one of the problems with the current roster that's full of sword users. HW had a much bigger weapon variety and more...colorful characters and lore which lent to more imaginative move sets and special moves. FE Warriors has a rather uphill battle in that department. 

Dude, the roster isn't nearly fully revealed yet. They said there would be plenty of characters that use magic, axes, lances, and bows and all too. If they lied about this, they'd look like really big trolls and jerks.

As for HW, it's not really fair to compare this game to that one because Zelda has a lot more different weapons already there to choose from. Link alone seems to wield just about everything! That's not the case with any FE characters, so I think you all are just setting yourselves up for disappointment if you want weapons and attacks like in HW.

7 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Dude, the roster isn't nearly fully revealed yet. They said there would be plenty of characters that use magic, axes, lances, and bows and all too. If they lied about this, they'd look like really big trolls and jerks. 

As I said..."current" roster. For now, their words mean nothing until we actually see that variety in action. Lissa, Frederick and Robin are a nice start. No more sword users, at the very least, until DLC comes along. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

7 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

As I said..."current" roster. For now, their words mean nothing until we actually see that variety in action. Lissa, Frederick and Robin are a nice start. No more sword users, at the very least, until DLC comes along. 

Well, I think you can definitely expect all the Fates royal siblings, including Azura, and none of the others wield swords. Hinoka uses lances and is on a Pegasus, Takumi is an archer, Sakura would probably be a mage, Leo is a horse mage, Elise would also probably be a horse mage, and Camila is a wyvern rider with axes and magic. And of course, Azura has lances and singing.

From Marth's games, we could get Minerva who is another axe wyvern, and Caeda and/or the Whitewings for more lance wielding Pegasi. Also Merric, who can provide some more magic, likely wind magic who not many of the others would specialize in (Leo is dark and maybe fire, Robin is thunder, and so on). Camus could also complete a cav triangle with Xander and Freddy.

I don't think you have much to worry about.

Edited by Anacybele

10 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

There's only so much they can do with basic swordies-- HW's specials were more varied because the cast itself was far more varied than what we've seen here. At the very least what we've seen of Robin's and Lucina's light bow break the mold.

Judging by your latter comment, I take it you're more of a SW fan than a DW fan?

That's the thing; if there's nothing special they can do, why make me watch Chrom flail around for 10 seconds? A simpler, non-cinematic combo would suffice.

Yes, I do like Sengoku Warriors more, but I don't play either much anymore. I definitely don't like cinematic specials as much, since if done poorly like what we've seen so far in Warriors, it really breaks the flow of the action.

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

As for HW, it's not really fair to compare this game to that one because Zelda has a lot more different weapons already there to choose from. Link alone seems to wield just about everything! That's not the case with any FE characters, so I think you all are just setting yourselves up for disappointment if you want weapons and attacks like in HW.

I know, but that's the point. They're keeping the style of HW, but without the substance (or the content to create substance) to do so.

1 minute ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I know, but that's the point. They're keeping the style of HW, but without the substance (or the content to create substance) to do so.

...What? The point is setting yourself up for disappointment? You're not making any sense to me.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

...What? The point is setting yourself up for disappointment? You're not making any sense to me.

No. I'm saying that I know we can't expect attacks as crazy as the ones in Hyrule Warriors, but, even though they know this, the developers are still trying to do the same things and it's not working.

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Well, I think you can definitely expect all the Fates royal siblings, including Azura, and none of the others wield swords. Hinoka uses lances and is on a Pegasus, Takumi is an archer, Sakura would probably be a mage, Leo is a horse mage, Elise would also probably be a horse mage, and Camila is a wyvern rider with axes and magic. And of course, Azura has lances and singing.

Out of those, Sakura and Takumi would interest me. Especially Sakura if she comes with scrolls and yumi for the complete shrine maiden experience. Takumi has his energy arrows which would make him into a pseudo Quincy (Bleach term) in my eyes and that would be quite cool. 

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

No. I'm saying that I know we can't expect attacks as crazy as the ones in Hyrule Warriors, but, even though they know this, the developers are still trying to do the same things and it's not working.

I don't see how they're trying to do the same thing? I'm just confused. The attacks have all looked fine to me. I don't mind any of them, though I'd say Corrin's does look the best because of the dragon thing so far.

Just now, Anacybele said:

I don't see how they're trying to do the same thing? I'm just confused. The attacks have all looked fine to me. I don't mind any of them, though I'd say Corrin's does look the best because of the dragon thing so far.

Look at this real quick. This special consists of Rowan (or whoever you set as the assist I guess) + Chrom doing nothing but rapid slashes until Chrom does the finishing stab. The entire process lasts exactly 10 seconds, and the entire 10 seconds is just the same thing. That's boring.

In Hyrule Warriors, we had specials that lasted for about the same amount of time, but a lot more happens in those 10 seconds compared to this. For FE Warriors, they clearly can't come up with ideas for specials as creative and visually impressive as the ones in Hyrule Warriors for most regular sword characters (and I imagine for any non-magic wielders as well). Despite this clear weakness, they still decided that doing cinematic specials for FE Warriors was a good idea, when there is absolutely nothing worth seeing here.

Now, if they can't make a cinematic special interesting, what could have they done instead? They could have made specials that are much quicker and shorter, involving some rapid slashes or just really fast dashes. Are they any more (or less) creative and impressive than what we already have? Nope. But they are also don't last nearly as long and allow you to control your direction of movement during them, so the action doesn't slow down.

3 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Look at this real quick. This special consists of Rowan (or whoever you set as the assist I guess) + Chrom doing nothing but rapid slashes until Chrom does the finishing stab. The entire process lasts exactly 10 seconds, and the entire 10 seconds is just the same thing. That's boring.

In Hyrule Warriors, we had specials that lasted for about the same amount of time, but a lot more happens in those 10 seconds compared to this. For FE Warriors, they clearly can't come up with ideas for specials as creative and visually impressive as the ones in Hyrule Warriors for most regular sword characters (and I imagine for any non-magic wielders as well). Despite this clear weakness, they still decided that doing cinematic specials for FE Warriors was a good idea, when there is absolutely nothing worth seeing here.

Now, if they can't make a cinematic special interesting, what could have they done instead? They could have made specials that are much quicker and shorter, involving some rapid slashes or just really fast dashes. Are they any more (or less) creative and impressive than what we already have? Nope. But they are also don't last nearly as long and allow you to control your direction of movement during them, so the action doesn't slow down.

It being "boring" is your opinion though. I don't think it's boring. I'm not going to say they're the coolest things ever, but they look nice enough for what they are, imo. Also, they could just be unpolished too, given how Corrin just somehow instantly goes to her human form again after her dragon thing is done.

It being "boring" is your opinion though. I don't think it's boring. I'm not going to say they're the coolest things ever, but they look nice enough for what they are, imo. Also, they could just be unpolished too, given how Corrin just somehow instantly goes to her human form again after her dragon thing is done.

That's an animation problem, not a conceptual problem. No amount of polish and fancy glitter will make rapid slashes more than rapid slashes. You'll get what I mean if you ever buy this game and play it for more than an hour.

2 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

It's a Pair Up Musou involving two characters. Those Musous are gonna involve the first character gathering up the enemies in a manner that damages them before the second character continues and knocks them away.

4 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

That's an animation problem, not a conceptual problem. No amount of polish and fancy glitter will make rapid slashes more than rapid slashes. You'll get what I mean if you ever buy this game and play it for more than an hour.

Oh, so you've bought it and played it for more than an hour then? Is that how you're backing your OPINION up? Oh wait, the game's not even out yet! So you couldn't have possibly done that. Try using reasons and excuses that actually make sense and not shoving your opinion in my face.

Also, I thought Marth's special looked cool! He was dashing through enemies with slashes kinda like the swordmaster or assassin does in the GBA games, just in 3D which makes it a lot better. :P

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, Folt said:

It's a Pair Up Musou involving two characters. Those Musous are gonna involve the first character gathering up the enemies in a manner that damages them before the second character continues and knocks them away.

I can see that. Why?

Oh, so you've bought it and played it for more than an hour then? Is that how you're backing your OPINION up? Oh wait, the game's not even out yet! So you couldn't have possibly done that. Try using reasons and excuses that actually make sense and not shoving your opinion in my face.

I've played other Warriors games that have done similar things. And those specials bored the shit out of me. This is the exact same thing.

32 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

To each their own I guess. 

My first thought when Freddy was revealed was "Looks like @Anacybele gonna be happy." 

42 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Out of all of these, I'd be most disappointed if Takumi wasn't in. IMO, Fujin Yumi is the BAMF of bows. 

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I think what @SatsumaFSoysoy is saying is that they played SW and/or HW.