FE playable charaters that you like/hate that everyone else likes/hates

Characters that I like but others don't:

• Xander: I honestly think Birthright!Xander does the Camus schtick better than most of the others, including Camus himself. The whole point of the archetype is unwavering loyalty to kingdom/king, but in most cases the kingdom/king isn't worth serving at all. To me that makes the Camus completely irrational and not worth much sympathy. Obviously Nohr and Garon aren't worth serving either, but Xander has another reason to be loyal even when he knows it's the wrong thing to do: Nohr is his country in a literal sense. He is heir to the throne, the man expected to rule after Garon dies. If he betrayed Nohr and helped depose her king, his own father, how could he possibly rule them afterwards? There's plenty of flaws with this reasoning (see Guinevere), but I consider it better than the average Camus's. Conquest!Xander's still a huge hypocrite though.
  • Odin, Selena, and Laslow: I've seen a lot of people complain about their presence in Fates, but I thought they were done very well there. The supports between themselves were especially good at playing up the "far away from home" feeling, even if the game doesn't actually explain how they're there...
  • Felicia: Not really any good reasons here. I just find myself fond of her both as a character and as a unit.
  • Lucina: I know she's really popular in the general community, but here on SF she's not so well liked. I appreciate a good "back to the past to save the future" story, plus I find it endearing how she tries to act normal and messes up in a variety of ways.
  • Farina: I've never seen anyone actually say they hate her, but I've only seen a few people ever say they like her. I really like her both as a unit and as a character. On the outside she's a typical money-grubber who's arrogant to boot, but inside she's haunted by her deprived childhood and the lack of sympathy shown towards Ilian mercenaries despite their sterling service.
  • Lyn: I quite enjoy her story, even if she does get shafted later on.

Characters that I don't like but others do:

• Charlotte: Her outfit, her introduction, her base stats, none of it appealed to me whatsoever. Apparently she has more depth in supports, but when her first impression is so bad I don't consider that enough to redeem her.
  • Kent and Sain: I dislike these two more as units, since I've never had a good level-up with either of them whenever I use them in Lyn's story.
  • Gonzales: That skill stat...Axes are terrible enough that having Gonzales use them just makes them worthless.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys i like that people hate:

Tharja. She's extremely unpopular in the west. (Her popularity really comes from Japan or thirsty people) I just always found her amusing. I also like Rhajat cuz she encompasses the socially awkward goth girl thing better. 

Peri: She makes me chuckle, and i like her as a unit. 

Bartre: Hes so loveable, i always use him if he can proc that spd stat early enough. Karla/Bartre is my shit. 

Camilla: Shes great. 

Isadora: is my shit  i love her  

Hana: She never bothered me. Im not a fan of hers as a unit, but the hate she gets, w o w. 

Makalov: Hes a unapologetic assbag and i like that about him. 

Berkut: Too much fun for me to hate. 

Guys i hate/dislike  that other people love:

Lyn: She is so disappointing. I was so excited about her back in the day, but ugh shes just all "huh what? WHAT?" after her mode ends. Plus i hate how she chews on Hector's dome for existing. 

Mia: omg no. Just no. Go away, peppy girl with zero depth or purpose. The problem: Shes a great unit in RD. D: 

Severa: Everyone here knows how i feel about her. But good gods! Go. Away. 

Cordelia: I have a special, yet low key loathing for her. She makes my eye twitch. I hate how plastic she is  Humble bragging is gross and so is her manipulation tactics. No thanks, red haired Taylor Swift.

Kent and Sain: I dont HATE them, per se, but i find them useless as units after Lyn mode. I can just use Marcus and Isadora with far less effort or headaches  

Emmeryn: *insert massive rage face here* oh just fuck off forever  

Hinoka: Yeah, no  stop ignoring the rest of your siblings and grow some subtance, boo.

Mozu: Tired of country bumpkin tropes tbh  plus i dont care for design or much as a unit  shes not super obnoxious like Donnel though. That twangy Appallacian accent makes my teeth float.

Sharena: Its mostly her voice  its terrible. Shes an ok person outside of that, but omg that squeaky four year old voice, why gods.

Takumi: CONQUEST ROUTE ONLY: comes off as a petulant piss baby without the fun. In other routes, hes fine.

thats all i got for now

3 hours ago, Thane said:

That's the problem with the premise of this thread. Sure, Camilla and Tharja are popular in general, but if you make a thread like this on Serenes, where they most certainly are not, then you're all but creating an echo chamber where people spout the same opinions over and over again.

I should've honestly seen this coming. I know that Camila and Tharja aren't the most popular here, but I thought that maybe the reasoning would be less aggressive. Maybe I should have thought about the title more rather than put 'hate' but instead something less aggressive sounding.

On 7/23/2017 at 2:06 AM, Gustavos said:

AND stopping the dragons? Hey, I know this is a no judgements thread, but stopping the dragons is the literal goal of the main characters in FE7. They don't even detour with other subplots like the Bern succession crisis or Eliwood wanting to kill Nergal for revenge. She does twice the work your army does in the finale, and you're listing off characters that don't come close to that.

I understand that stopping the dragons is a big deal, but saying that she that was twice is kinda an overstatement, imo. If Eliwood could kill Ninian in one shot, what's stopping him, Hector, and Athos from killing the 3 'child' dragons that popped up? And I'm sure Braminand(don't remember how it was spelled lol) could've have pitched in as well. Also. being brought back the dead to preform one action that others could preform doesn't sit well with me.

On 7/23/2017 at 0:24 AM, Zangetsu said:

O boy, another hate thread about hating fictional things what fun

Well, when it comes to things like FE where things like supports and story are what people enjoy as well as the gameplay, hating fictional things is kinda hard not to do. I honestly do find some aspects of hating some fictional character to be kinda silly, but most fans enjoy some aspects more than gameplay, and I occasionally have those feelings as well. It's just something that can't be avoided.

6 minutes ago, SageHarpuiaJDJ said:

I understand that stopping the dragons is a big deal, but saying that she that was twice is kinda an overstatement, imo. If Eliwood could kill Ninian in one shot, what's stopping him, Hector, and Athos from killing the 3 'child' dragons that popped up? And I'm sure Braminand(don't remember how it was spelled lol) could've have pitched in as well. Also. being brought back the dead to preform one action that others could preform doesn't sit well with me.

Athos tried to stop those three dragons and was beaten back. Eliwood had slain Ninian on his own, but it's only because she made no effort to defend herself. I'm not a fan of the Brammimond ex Machina scene either, but if you want to know how tough it would be to beat as many as two dragons like Ninian did, just multiply the final boss by two. Through gameplay, we can even see that a properly leveled Eliwood will fail to defeat the final boss on his own without help. The three lords plus Athos is also not enough under typical circumstances either. You need to dogpile the boss with everybody you've got in one turn, or use Athos' Fortify staff to avoid units dying on enemy phase.

6 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

Athos tried to stop those three dragons and was beaten back. Eliwood had slain Ninian on his own, but it's only because she made no effort to defend herself. I'm not a fan of the Brammimond ex Machina scene either, but if you want to know how tough it would be to beat as many as two dragons like Ninian did, just multiply the final boss by two. Through gameplay, we can even see that a properly leveled Eliwood will fail to defeat the final boss on his own without help. The three lords plus Athos is also not enough under typical circumstances either. You need to dogpile the boss with everybody you've got in one turn, or use Athos' Fortify staff to avoid units dying on enemy phase.

I actually find that funny that Athos got beaten back, considering that gameplay wise he actually has potential to one shot the dragon with Luna + crit bonus dance. Maybe I am being over dramatic about it, though. This I can scratch off.

A character people dislike but I don't: Emmeryn

A lot of people find her sacrifice cheesy, the outcome unrealistic or just her character too saintly, but I think it's mostly reasonable. She's a character who had to suffer the bad rep of her father and the only way to improve the family and country image was to be 100% saintly and not fight back. Gangrel took advantage of this and did everything he could to antagonize her. As far her sacrifice goes, it was really the best thing she could do in that situation. Her options were to be killed by Aversa's soldiers or to make a point about her peaceful intentions and take her own life. And then paralogues ruin both her and Gangrel by letting them live.

4 hours ago, KMT4ever said:

Xander: I honestly think Birthright!Xander does the Camus schtick better than most of the others, including Camus himself. The whole point of the archetype is unwavering loyalty to kingdom/king, but in most cases the kingdom/king isn't worth serving at all. To me that makes the Camus completely irrational and not worth much sympathy. Obviously Nohr and Garon aren't worth serving either, but Xander has another reason to be loyal even when he knows it's the wrong thing to do: Nohr is his country in a literal sense. He is heir to the throne, the man expected to rule after Garon dies. If he betrayed Nohr and helped depose her king, his own father, how could he possibly rule them afterwards? There's plenty of flaws with this reasoning (see Guinevere), but I consider it better than the average Camus's. Conquest!Xander's still a huge hypocrite though.

To me, Birthright kept throwing conflict balls at Xander and made him behave in a way that would ensure you have to fight him. When Corrin chooses Hoshido, Xander immediately denounces him as a traitor despite having a great deal of trust and affection for Corrin. Later on when you fight him, he seems to conflate Garon with Nohr. It's as though the intention to detrone Garon is tantamount to putting all the people of Nohr to the sword and salting the earth. He does mention that it's his duty as the crown prince but he doesn't really consider what Nohr will do if he dies defending a person he secretly knows isn't fit to rule.

23 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

Don't worry, Ana- I don't have a strong understanding of the character, but from what I have, I know where you're coming from- Frederick is a representation of our condition that's more realistic and less annoying than the more famous representatives of it (such as Big Bang Theory's Sheldon)

Neato! :) Glad I'm not the only one that can see it. Though I find Sheldon more hilarious than annoying as well, just as I do Frederick. It's just that that's really all Sheldon is to me, a funny exaggerated example of Asperger's.

Frederick, on the other hand, I can relate to much more in a few ways and he just does other things that made me fall in love with him. He's so gentlemanly and polite, and he kisses Robin's hand if he marries her! Call me old fashioned, but I love this. I want a man like that. I don't care if nobody really does it anymore, I won't laugh or anything if you kneel and kiss my hand. I see it as a sign of politeness and respect. ^^ And Frederick will burst into tears of joy when you totally please him, so he's actually a big softie behind that serious coldish exterior (see his A support with Henry). Also, how many men knit and sew? I think it's so cute how such a big strong knight will sit down and knit or sew clothes sometimes! It makes Freddy stand out among other knights and even male characters in general, imo.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Neato! :) Glad I'm not the only one that can see it. Though I find Sheldon more hilarious than annoying as well, just as I do Frederick. It's just that that's really all Sheldon is to me, a funny exaggerated example of Asperger's.

Frederick, on the other hand, I can relate to much more in a few ways and he just does other things that made me fall in love with him. He's so gentlemanly and polite, and he kisses Robin's hand if he marries her! Call me old fashioned, but I love this. I want a man like that. I don't care if nobody really does it anymore, I won't laugh or anything if you kneel and kiss my hand. I see it as a sign of politeness and respect. ^^ And Frederick will burst into tears of joy when you totally please him, so he's actually a big softie behind that serious coldish exterior (see his A support with Henry). Also, how many men knit and sew? I think it's so cute how such a big strong knight will sit down and knit or sew clothes sometimes! It makes Freddy stand out among other knights and even male characters in general, imo.

The fact that it's 'an interesting character with a condition' is a great stride in the right direction, as opposed to 'an interesting condition with a character'. I still like Forrest, but for all his good points, he leans a lot towards the latter.

...Why do I get the unpleasant feeling IS didn't even try when they managed to make Frederick?

4 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

The fact that it's 'an interesting character with a condition' is a great stride in the right direction, as opposed to 'an interesting condition with a character'. I still like Forrest, but for all his good points, he leans a lot towards the latter.

...Why do I get the unpleasant feeling IS didn't even try when they managed to make Frederick?

Yeah, I agree with the first point there (sans the bit about Forrest, as I know too little about him to form an opinion).

I don't know, but you could be right on that. Awakening's cast is very up and down to me. It either has well written characters with one or two gems (Frederick, Cordelia, Virion, Stahl, etc. to name a few, with Frederick being that gem to me) or horribly written/boring ones that seem half-assed (just about everyone else).

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, I agree with the first point there (sans the bit about Forrest, as I know too little about him to form an opinion).

I'm hardly better informed, with just a few Supports under my belt, but that's another condition in my life represented in a Fire Emblem character, so I'm liable to be slightly biased in the positive direction in the first place.

2 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

I'm hardly better informed, with just a few Supports under my belt, but that's another condition in my life represented in a Fire Emblem character, so I'm liable to be slightly biased in the positive direction in the first place.

Yeah, same here. It's nice to see autism getting some more representation in fiction lately though. Sesame Street added it's first autistic character not long ago. I forget her name, but yeah.

Although I do have a feeling that Frederick wasn't purposely written to be autistic, he just ended up very similar to a realistic Aspie.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, same here. It's nice to see autism getting some more representation in fiction lately though. Sesame Street added it's first autistic character not long ago. I forget her name, but yeah.

Although I do have a feeling that Frederick wasn't purposely written to be autistic, he just ended up very similar to a realistic Aspie.

Forrest is about cross-dressing. I don't know if Fates actually has another autistic character (it's far too tedious to read an entire Support set, which is why I'd probably be against the current Support system even if every single conversation was good), but considering it's not brought up more frequently, I'm going to assume it would be another accidental one.

13 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Forrest is about cross-dressing. I don't know if Fates actually has another autistic character (it's far too tedious to read an entire Support set, which is why I'd probably be against the current Support system even if every single conversation was good), but considering it's not brought up more frequently, I'm going to assume it would be another accidental one.

I know about Forrest's cross-dressing. And that he constantly scolds people for mistaking him for a girl. But that's really it. Still, I'm like...dude, what do you expect? The way you dress, a lot of people are going to mistake you for female. Why get so pissy with them for it?

Though, if Frederick WAS purposely written to be an Aspie, he'd be a unique case! Aspie characters are usually children or teens, maybe young adults. Frederick has to be at least mid-twenties, maybe 30. Characters his age aren't normally subjects for autism. Though I assume this is so children with autism can identify more with these characters.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

And that he constantly scolds people for mistaking him for a girl. But that's really it. Still, I'm like...dude, what do you expect? The way you dress, a lot of people are going to mistake you for female. Why get so pissy with them for it?

Really? I don't think I've seen that part yet... way to perpetuate unpleasant stereotypes, whoever wrote him.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Though, if Frederick WAS purposely written to be an Aspie, he'd be a unique case! Aspie characters are usually children or teens, maybe young adults. Frederick has to be at least mid-twenties, maybe 30. Characters his age aren't normally subjects for autism.

If it was on purpose, I'd be surprised that the same team that did this also did the less pleasant portrayals in Fates.

4 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Really? I don't think I've seen that part yet... way to perpetuate unpleasant stereotypes, whoever wrote him.

If it was on purpose, I'd be surprised that the same team that did this also did the less pleasant portrayals in Fates.

Well, I could be a little inaccurate here, I didn't see a lot of his dialogue, but I remember one bit that had him practically yelling that he was not a girl.

Yeah, I know, right? But a writing TEAM does the story and characters, so maybe the person who came up with Frederick wasn't the same one who came up with unpleasant portrayals. :P Maybe that writer IS hired to do the story actually came up with him and he happened to be something NOT butchered in the end.

Characters I like but others don't:

Celica - she admittedly has some poorly written lines, but I like pretty much everything else about her. She has a great design, and she's a really fun unit to use. Her backstory was very interesting and helped to explain her character, and I liked her supports quite a bit, especially her one with Mae. She makes some poor decisions, but I thought all of her decisions made sense when considering her situation, character, and backstory. She has flaws and makes mistakes that she grows from. Honestly, I thought she was one of the deeper lords that I've seen in FE, and she became one of my favorite lords along with Hector.

Faye - I don't particularly like Faye, but I don't think she is as bad as most people do. She's probably the most one-dimensional character in SoV can get annoying with her constant love for Alm, but she has her moments. She's a good unit, and her voice-acting is good as well. I also gained more respect for her after seeing her A support with Alm.

Clive - he's a bad unit, but I really like his character. He is one of the few characters in the Deliverance who doubts Alm, and his character and attitude toward commoners develops over the course of the story. I particularly like him in the scene that plays if you let Mathilda die. Speaking of Mathilda, I found Clive's supports with her to be enjoyable and a refreshing change of pace from other supports between couples.

Eliwood - he's my least favorite lord in Blazing Sword, but I still like him. I enjoyed his story, and I thought his supports were good.

Characters that I don't like but others do:

Tharja and Camilla for reasons that others have already stated.

Odin - I liked him in Awakening, but I thought his gimmick in Fates was not done as well. I don't hate him, but I find him boring.

On 7/22/2017 at 10:14 PM, Armagon said:

Corrin: While i do agree that Corrin's role in the story is pretty bad, the Supports save him (and most of Fates' cast) for me. I'm one who prefers characters over story. The story can be amazing, but if the characters are all bad, then what's the point? But if the story is bad but the characters are good, then it's fine by me. Supports are where Fire Emblem characters shine, and that's why i like Corrin.

I'm not a big fan of Corrin, but I also liked some of his/her supports. Which ones were your favorites? Mine were his/her supports with Kaze and Hinoka.

10 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Still, I'm like...dude, what do you expect? The way you dress, a lot of people are going to mistake you for female. Why get so pissy with them for it?

Because he doesn't?  The one time Forrest seems to get legitimately angry is in his paralogue, and that was not because Elise or the bandits mistook him for a girl, it was because Leo called him a disgrace.  When he does get mistaken for a girl he usually just gently corrects the person in question (except the bandits since they weren't exactly friendly).  

6 minutes ago, Glaceon Sage said:

Because he doesn't?  The one time Forrest seems to get legitimately angry is in his paralogue, and that was not because Elise or the bandits mistook him for a girl, it was because Leo called him a disgrace.  When he does get mistaken for a girl he usually just gently corrects the person in question (except the bandits since they weren't exactly friendly).  

Oh, thank goodness.

1 hour ago, Glaceon Sage said:

Read my other post. I said I recalled him yelling at someone that he wasn't a girl.

19 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Read my other post. I said I recalled him yelling at someone that he wasn't a girl.

I've read pretty much all of Forrest's English supports (and am looking over them now to confirm this), and the other party is consistently aware from the onset he's a guy.  Actually, he takes M!Corrin's comments in their supports that he looks like an adorable young lady as a complement since he called him adorable.

The only times I can think of where he's actually mistaken for one outside of DLC (which I haven't played) is in his paralogue and an offscreen conversation between a random lady and his mother that's mentioned in his A support with her (though the random lady isn't mentioned to have made the mistake in all of the variations, it does come up in some).  

With Elise, he just acts mildly confused as to why she thought he was someone else before introducing himself politely (and therefore revealing he's a guy), and with the bandits he doesn't say anything since talking might anger them (and since he's a healer and isn't very physically strong, he couldn't exactly fight them if they were).

So if you can point out the exact context of what you're recalling, that'd be grand.  Because I certainly don't remember him yelling at anyone over it.

2 minutes ago, Glaceon Sage said:

I've read pretty much all of Forrest's English supports (and am looking over them now to confirm this), and the other party is consistently aware from the onset he's a guy.  Actually, he takes M!Corrin's comments in their supports that he looks like an adorable young lady as a complement since he called him adorable.

The only times I can think of where he's actually mistaken for one outside of DLC (which I haven't played) is in his paralogue and an offscreen conversation between a random lady and his mother that's mentioned in his A support with her (though the random lady isn't mentioned to have made the mistake in all of the variations, it does come up in some).  

With Elise, he just acts mildly confused as to why she thought he was someone else before introducing himself politely (and therefore revealing he's a guy), and with the bandits he doesn't say anything since talking might anger them (and since he's a healer and isn't very physically strong, he couldn't exactly fight them if they were).

So if you can point out the exact context of what you're recalling, that'd be grand.  Because I certainly don't remember him yelling at anyone over it.

I can't remember exactly where it was, so I wouldn't be able to find it. But as I said before, I could've been kind of inaccurate here, so maybe I'm wrong.

Characters I like, but others don't:

Siegbert: A lot of people consider Siegbert to be bland or even one of the worst kids and I don't really see why. Siegbert avoids the gimmicky character trap and his self esteem issue's are given the weight they deserve. 

Alfonse: I would't go as far as to say Alfonse is a good character. He's the lord in a game with an excuse plot so there isn't much there. Still I think the idea behind him is pretty interesting. Most lords are pretty fond of the whole friendship thing and I thought it was nice to see a lord who is more jaded and tries to limit his relationship with others to a more proffesional level.

Characters I dislike that others don't:

The Black Knight: Poor BK you did everything so well. You managed to be a good, baddass and mysterious baddy who made such a cliche title work. Its just a shame your reasons for killing a man and orphaning his children where unbelieveably scummy. I don't get 'last true knight' vibes from someone who starts fights to the death just so he can boast about how great of a swordsman he is into the mirror every morning.

Rudolf: I don't know if Rudolf is liked or not, but I don't hear much dislike about him, at least not for the reason I dislike him. I'm willing to forgive Rudolf's not so great plan since he's an upgraded Nes villain and they could't change the main plot too much. Instead I don't like him because the remake turned him into an awful father figure. Sure the game says he cares about Berkut, but he sure doesn't act like it. In all of his scenes he's pretty dismissive towards Berkut and he could have been a bit more gentle with the 'plot twist' at the end. Rudolf had the time to tell his general when it was apropiate so he either did't care about telling Berkut himself or he did't have the spine to own up to his own lies. 

Other characters I dislike that others like: Ryoma (Along with Edward, another good contender for most overrated unit in the entire series. Everyone and their grandma hypes him up as the second coming of Jesus, and I can't really see it when evade isn't as effective as a defense as it was in prior games. It DOES NOT HELP that the route he's playable on is the one where most of the units you get are rather frail), Gonzales (Too damn inaccurate; it doesn't help that he's axe locked in a game where axes are honestly god-awful), Soren (Too much of an asshole, at least in Path of Radiance), Charlotte (See Gonzales. Berserkers being a lackluster class in Fates does her already flimsy case no good), Arthur (as a unit: see Charlotte. His garbage tier personal skill does not help his case, either)

Other characters that I like that often get a lot of flak: Corrin (for reasons the OP, and possibly others, mentioned), Aran (good defensive ability on a team that needs a tank)

4 hours ago, Sasori said:

Rudolf: I don't know if Rudolf is liked or not, but I don't hear much dislike about him, at least not for the reason I dislike him. I'm willing to forgive Rudolf's not so great plan since he's an upgraded Nes villain and they could't change the main plot too much. Instead I don't like him because the remake turned him into an awful father figure. Sure the game says he cares about Berkut, but he sure doesn't act like it. In all of his scenes he's pretty dismissive towards Berkut and he could have been a bit more gentle with the 'plot twist' at the end. Rudolf had the time to tell his general when it was apropiate so he either did't care about telling Berkut himself or he did't have the spine to own up to his own lies. 

I'm with you there. Berkut is his own nephew and he treats him like another stooge to get slaughtered so Emperor Alm can take the throne.

4 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Other characters I dislike that others like: Along with Edward, another good contender for most overrated unit in the entire series.

Other characters that I like that often get a lot of flak: Aran (good defensive ability on a team that needs a tank)

Do you ever get the feeling that one of your thoughts has become sentient and started posting on a message board? Because I just got that feeling. These are the two DB members I probably have the strongest feelings about.

Thankfully you trash talked Gonzales, Charlotte and Arthur, so I know you're a real person and I'm not going insane. Love those guys.

Edited by Slumber