The 25 character theory: DEBUNKED

Jedi

Both of those predictions are disgusting. There's no Xane, get them out of my sight. I'm just kidding don't hurt me they're really good.

Lorenz would be really interesting, I mean, badass old guy, what's not to love?

I really don't think the final roster will be 25. Why would they reveal it like that? Did the Japanese version say the same thing?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Lau said:

Both of those predictions are disgusting. There's no Xane, get them out of my sight. I'm just kidding don't hurt me they're really good.

Lorenz would be really interesting, I mean, badass old guy, what's not to love?

I really don't think the final roster will be 25. Why would they reveal it like that? Did the Japanese version say the same thing?

The special edition is having 25 character cards along with it. Hence the 25 character theory

13 minutes ago, TrueDarkAce said:

The special edition is having 25 character cards along with it. Hence the 25 character theory

No, no, I knew that, I meant if the Japanese SE said something different. Sorry for the confusion.

3 hours ago, RotomGuy said:

Actually, using the poster to make predictions, I got to this:

T0ZssPK.png

Including alt genders, this roster has a round 30 characters.

Additionally, if alt genders share a card and villains don't get a card, then that fits into 25 character cards. It makes a lot of sense, IMO, and it's now the roster i'm expecting.

That.....actually works really well, especially considering in the first trailers for Heroes they list Azura as a unit from Birthright so it's possible they'd do the same here. And the choices are pretty reasonable so I think I'd be content with it overall. 

Give me Walhart or give me death!

I don't actually want death, but damn do I want Walhart. Come on, he's made for this stuff.

I can see RotomGuy's prediction coming true for the most part, give or take a few characters like Virion and Merric (I think Gaius and Linde are more likely). Of course, I'd prefer some Awakening kiddos, but that's not looking very likely right now.

Young Tiki is all but confirmed because of the amiibo and her overall status in the series. Sakura should be too, right? They can't have all the siblings besides her, I figure. I wonder what weapon she'll use.

1 minute ago, Thane said:

Give me Walhart or give me death!

I don't actually want death, but damn do I want Walhart. Come on, he's made for this stuff.

I can see RotomGuy's prediction coming true for the most part, give or take a few characters like Virion and Merric (I think Gaius and Linde are more likely). Of course, I'd prefer some Awakening kiddos, but that's not looking very likely right now.

Young Tiki is all but confirmed because of the amiibo and her overall status in the series. Sakura should be too, right? They can't have all the siblings besides her, I figure. I wonder what weapon she'll use.

Walhart would be amazing and I actually want him more than the other Awakening villains but since they have Frederick an axe I don't see it as likely to happen. Which is a damn shame considering yeah in-lore he basically does Dynasty Warrior style cutting through enemies.

Sakura is basically confirmed yeah. Since Conquest treats her canon promotion as Preistess it'll probably be bows. Though maybe a more magical bow since her magic stat is higher? We'll have to wait and see I suppose.

I think the support conversation between Ryoma and Walhart could be really fun to see. It's not very often you see two lobsters having a conversation.

I think the only characters left that are practically guarantees at this point are Azura, Sakura, and Tiki. I'd like to see what they'd do with a singer/dancer lance wielder.

10 minutes ago, Thane said:

Gaius is another sword character, and Merric is a male mage with more relevance to Marth. 

Archers are desparately needed, since only Takumi and Sakura would represent bows otherwise.

1 minute ago, RotomGuy said:

Gaius is another sword character, and Merric is a male mage with more relevance to Marth. 

That's right, I forgot throwing weapons aren't a thing in this game. Merric, however, uses wind magic, and I could see that clashing with Takumi.

2 minutes ago, RotomGuy said:

Archers are desparately needed, since only Takumi and Sakura would represent bows otherwise.

I think so too, but I'd like to see her spice it up with staves and scrolls, for sure.

39 minutes ago, Thane said:

Considering how uncharacteristically uninventive the majority of movesets have been so far, I'll assume she'll use a bow and be a semi-clone of Takumi.

Edited by Jedi

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

Considering how uncharacteristically uninventive the majority of movesets have been so far, I'll assume she'll use a bow and be a semi-clone of Takumi.

Marth, Xander, Robin, Takumi... uninventive?

The overwhelming majority of the movesets look fine; all you've got to complain about are the semi-clones (which Sakura would be the fifth of, out of a 25+ character roster).

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

Marth, Xander, Robin, Takumi... uninventive?

The overwhelming majority of the movesets look fine; all you've got to complain about are the semi-clones (which Sakura would be the fifth of, out of a 25+ character roster).

Spoiler

They look fine, and the ones you mentioned are the stand outs, it's just there's a fair bit of genericness too.

i mean I appreciate how Chrom and Ryoma take battle animations and cinematics into account but if you were to ask someone not paying close attention they'd look fairly samey compare that to Liu Bei, Sun Jian and Cao Cao in DW8 and their vast differences in comparison with their sword styles.

8 minutes ago, Jedi said:
  Reveal hidden contents

They look fine, and the ones you mentioned are the stand outs, it's just there's a fair bit of genericness too.

i mean I appreciate how Chrom and Ryoma take battle animations and cinematics into account but if you were to ask someone not paying close attention they'd look fairly samey compare that to Liu Bei, Sun Jian and Cao Cao in DW8 and their vast differences in comparison with their sword styles.

Is there supposed to be something in the spoiler tag?

The thing is, there isn't as much freedom that can be done with FE characters as there is with the mainline Musou characters and even Hyrule Warriors; with the latter, the main series itself tends to be a bit loose with their portrayal (Zelda's not always a princess, rarely fights... Link has the Master Sword, but a fairly variable loadout between games), so putting their own spin on them works more. In DW and SW, they're taking characters and making them basically from whole cloth. Sun Jian can run around killing people with soundwaves because he's really their character and they can do what they want with him; Cao Cao gets ice stuff and shadow clones because it makes him stand out and, again, they can do what they want with him. But a lot of the stuff that has made the characters really stick out have only been recent additions; pre-8, multiple characters used the same weapon type and would look near-identical to someone not already familiar with the games.

FE characters have pretty static portrayals and generally straightforward weaponry; they can't deviate too far from those. To anybody actually paying attention, Chrom looks different from Ryoma who looks different from Rowan who looks different from Corrin. The fact they were able to make Chrom and Marth look cool when they had very little to go off of while still making them clearly Chrom and Marth is worth applauding. They could've just made everyone of the same class clones (not like there's any real variance in the FE series itself), yet they've largely avoided that. The Fates Princes and Corrin were golden opportunities to make characters that stick out, and it shows (besides Leo's normal attack string which I'm still salty over).

4 hours ago, Thane said:

I think so too, but I'd like to see her spice it up with staves and scrolls, for sure.

Well, Sakura has the whole "miko" theme going on for her so...scrolls, staves and some bow attacks mixed in...? 

I have to say that I'm a bit dissapointed with not including a character with scrolls, because if they don't include them now, they won't include them even if there is FE warriors 2, because that would be about other games. Sakura could use them, but they'll probably stick with her canon promotion. I'm talking about scrolls because I think it would be something original, imagine a character "summoning animals" through the battlefield, using ox spirit to throw the enemy to the air and the hitting with bird spirit for example.

Also, as a completely random and unrealistic comment, I want to use a faceless.

3 minutes ago, Sbuscoz said:

I have to say that I'm a bit dissapointed with not including a character with scrolls, because if they don't include them now, they won't include them even if there is FE warriors 2, because that would be about other games. Sakura could use them, but they'll probably stick with her canon promotion. I'm talking about scrolls because I think it would be something original, imagine a character "summoning animals" through the battlefield, using ox spirit to throw the enemy to the air and the hitting with bird spirit for example.

Maybe they'll surprise us and give it to Sakura , though I do expect it to be Preistess I admit scrolls would be more interesting and probably more fitting.

I can see Faceless as a generic enemy commander boss thing on Fates maps and thaaaats about it (not that I'm taking that seriously-)

19 minutes ago, Sbuscoz said:

I wouldn't rule out scrolls popping up in her charge attacks; the Musou series has had characters who use one weapon for their normal string but an entirely different one for their charge attacks/specials.

27 minutes ago, Sbuscoz said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Sakura and her animal friends.

12 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

I wouldn't rule out scrolls popping up in her charge attacks; the Musou series has had characters who use one weapon for their normal string but an entirely different one for their charge attacks/specials.

True, even if she were to be Takumi's semiclone, they'd have to sustitute his wind skills with something. I'll keep hoping for it a bit more.

I feel like it's going to be more than 25 characters. This is for a two major reasons:

1. A lack of balance in representation between the games. If this was true then two of the three games are getting screwed over in terms of characters, and I can't see that happening. 

2. No Fire Emblem game has had less than 30 characters. Based on some of the recent news, we're likely getting 32 characters minimum (some may be reserved for when the game comes out).

2 minutes ago, Corbin said:

I feel like it's going to be more than 25 characters. This is for a two major reasons:

1. A lack of balance in representation between the games. If this was true then two of the three games are getting screwed over in terms of characters, and I can't see that happening. 

2. No Fire Emblem game has had less than 30 characters. Based on some of the recent news, we're likely getting 32 characters minimum (some may be reserved for when the game comes out).

While I do think there will be more than 25 characters the developers have already said there won't be equal representation between the games. Hence why some people think SD will be getting far less than the other 2 games.

3 hours ago, Solaris998 said:

While I do think there will be more than 25 characters the developers have already said there won't be equal representation between the games. Hence why some people think SD will be getting far less than the other 2 games.

While SD is probably getting less with History mode being a thing now I don't think it is getting gimped too hard, maybe 2 characters.