General Weapon Refinery discussion/speculation/creation thread

Corrobin

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

IS: Hawkeye gets this, Virion gets this, and we'll give Lute this. ...Oh, we forgot Frederick's in this group! ...Uh, just give him Death Blow. Yeah. Hardly anyone uses him anyway (though Virion was used even less).

I'm honestly pissed. I waited months for my favorite character not named Ike to get his own weapon only to be given trash and entirely let down.

Sorry for the disappointment. I know how you feel.

When Robin was given such a mediocre tome, I felt the sting. And Innes with his unsynergetic weapon.

Just now, Etheus said:

Sorry for the disappointment. I know how you feel.

When Robin was given such a mediocre tome, I felt the sting. And Innes with his unsynergetic weapon.

Robin's refine is great though. Because of female Robin's buffs, the mixed team I typically use (RD Ike, female Robin, legendary Azura, Silas) has been very effective for me. She buffs all stats if allies are adjacent to her and there are no more than two of the same movement type on the team.

Can't comment on Innes though, as I've never had him.

But yes, this stings so hard, particularly because of how long I waited.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Robin's refine is great though. Because of female Robin's buffs, the mixed team I typically use (RD Ike, female Robin, legendary Azura, Silas) has been very effective for me. She buffs all stats if allies are adjacent to her and there are no more than two of the same movement type on the team.

Can't comment on Innes though, as I've never had him.

But yes, this stings so hard, particularly because of how long I waited.

On the bright side, at least you don't have to change your build.

Just now, Etheus said:

On the bright side, at least you don't have to change your build.

True, but I can't make him any better of a unit anymore like I thought I was going to be able to.

Huh, I was expecting something like Close Defense or Steady/Sturdy Stance for Frederick. Surprised they went with a PP build. Guess I’ll pass on building him  

Hawkeye is cool. Sudden Panic on Virion actually makes me want to build him. Maybe in the future. 

My Lute is +Res so this refinement is great on her. She got upgraded right away. 

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

True, but I can't make him any better of a unit anymore like I thought I was going to be able to.

well that's not necessarily true. you can do mix and match builds now. 

you can do the slayuing axe EP build
if you score someone with DB4, you can basically stack that up, and use him for some OHKO player phase action. a lot of my unit builds are mix/match like this. When life gives you lemons as they say.

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

With the latest couple batches of refines, I'm thinking about an all physical team with Astram as the field buffer, Brave Lucina to provide powerful combat buffs, Brave Ike or Hawkeye to tank, and Virion as the debuff support. 

That's a great team! All these heroes work perfectly together! I am planning to give my Hawkeye Steady Breath + Bonfire, just like how I did with Lukas. I could consider Luna instead.

3 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

That's a great team! All these heroes work perfectly together! I am planning to give my Hawkeye Steady Breath + Bonfire, just like how I did with Lukas. I could consider Luna instead.

My plan is currently Distant Counter and Wrath. Make use of that mixed bulk!

@Anacybele The best I can figure is that off of 38 Asseted Atk, Death Blow 4, Sturdy Blow, and Frederick's Axe/Death Blow 3, Freddy will be hitting once for 72 Atk (54 base Atk including weapon, 8 from DB4, 4 from SB, 6 from DB3 refine), not taking merges, Dragonflowers, Field and Combat Buffs, Ally and Summoner Support, or Legendary/Mythic bonuses into account. Give him Lull Atk/Def 3 and that's basically an extra 3 Atk plus boosting his tankiness and ignoring Atk/Def Field Buffs.

It's still not a Brave Axe, but at least most Armors he'd face off against are deleted from the faces of history.

...to be completely honest, looking at Freddy with his new weapon, something seems kind of... off about it. Like, it's TOO new and shiny. The Brave Axe+ looks just fine in Freddy's hands...

16 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

well that's not necessarily true. you can do mix and match builds now. 

you can do the slayuing axe EP build
if you score someone with DB4, you can basically stack that up, and use him for some OHKO player phase action. a lot of my unit builds are mix/match like this. When life gives you lemons as they say.

Like I said, not worth it when the build I currently use is very good as is and things like Death Blow 4 are very rare and expensive to get. Not to mention I already sacked multiple 5 stars for Frederick as is. I don't want to sack more just to make this underwhelming refine work.

3 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

@Anacybele The best I can figure is that off of 38 Asseted Atk, Death Blow 4, Sturdy Blow, and Frederick's Axe/Death Blow 3, Freddy will be hitting once for 72 Atk (54 base Atk including weapon, 8 from DB4, 4 from SB, 6 from DB3 refine), not taking merges, Dragonflowers, Field and Combat Buffs, Ally and Summoner Support, or Legendary/Mythic bonuses into account. Give him Lull Atk/Def 3 and that's basically an extra 3 Atk plus boosting his tankiness and ignoring Atk/Def Field Buffs.

It's still not a Brave Axe, but at least most Armors he'd face off against are deleted from the faces of history.

...to be completely honest, looking at Freddy with his new weapon, something seems kind of... off about it. Like, it's TOO new and shiny. The Brave Axe+ looks just fine in Freddy's hands...

Yeah, but that's still very expensive. Death Blow 4 is still expensive and only found on Brave Celica, I think. And Lull Atk/Def 3 is only on...Dimitri wasn't it?

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Like I said, not worth it when the build I currently use is very good as is and things like Death Blow 4 are very rare and expensive to get. Not to mention I already sacked multiple 5 stars for Frederick as is. I don't want to sack more just to make this underwhelming refine work.

Yeah, but that's still very expensive. Death Blow 4 is still expensive and only found on Brave Celica, I think. And Lull Atk/Def 3 is only on...Dimitri wasn't it?

it's just one Dimitri. 

DB4 + the Lull in one fell swoop. and he'll be on Legendary in like two months. 
Not to mention the Lull can work in both phases. but it's your decision.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, but that's still very expensive. Death Blow 4 is still expensive and only found on Brave Celica, I think.

I'm aware it's expensive, but it's not like I was expecting this one weapon to overturn the entire meta or anything, so if you wanna make it work you kinda have to MAKE IT WORK. It's just even more unfortunate that, these days, that means a good number of 5* exclusives must go the way of the cow: into the meat grinder.
Also it's on Dimitri and Legendary Eliwood. Dimitri is notable because he also has Lull Atk/Def, so if you have an extra Klein lying around you can get a bit of a discount on your Murderick build.

Edited by Xenomata

1 minute ago, daisy jane said:

it's just one Dimitri. 

DB4 + the Lull in one fell swoop. and he'll be on Legendary in like two months. 
Not to mention the Lull can work in both phases. but it's your decision.

One Dimitri that is still 5 star exclusive.

1 minute ago, Xenomata said:

I'm aware it's expensive, but it's not like I was expecting this one weapon to overturn the entire meta or anything, so if you wanna make it work you kinda have to MAKE IT WORK.
Also it's on Dimitri and Legendary Eliwood. Dimitri is notable because he also has Lull Atk/Def, so if you have an extra Klein lying around you can get a bit of a discount on your Murderick build.

I wasn't expecting anything that overturned the entire meta or anything either. But I was expecting something like Sturdy Stance or Fierce Stance (it's +6 Atk like Death Blow, yes, but the enemy phase version, which would have at least negated the need for me to change my build). Not a refine that doesn't synergize well with Frederick being a physical tank.

14 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I wasn't expecting anything that overturned the entire meta or anything either. But I was expecting something like Sturdy Stance or Fierce Stance (it's +6 Atk like Death Blow, yes, but the enemy phase version, which would have at least negated the need for me to change my build). Not a refine that doesn't synergize well with Frederick being a physical tank.

In retrospect, Atk/Def Lull as the refine skill probably would have been the best option, because it would complement him as both a player phase nuke and an enemy phase tank. 

I'd say Atk/Def Solo, but that would interfere with his ability to provide field buffs if using him as a tank.

Just now, Anacybele said:

Yeah. and your point? All you need is one. It's not like you're building a healer or something and you need like  several 5* units to get the Wrathful/Balm+/Great Staff/Atk-Spd-Push 4 here. (which is like. my lot in this game right now, and thus, I am saving up all my orbs for extra copies of the like). 

Literally all you need is 1 Klein  (for DB3), and you need one Dimitri - a unit who will be on legendary in like 2-3 months, and with Sirius having the Lull Atk/Spd, chances are we'll probably have a "Heroes with Lull" Banner soon enough. just save up some orbs.and at least try. 

I mean. yah. sure. it could have been nice to have a stance in the weapon, but I would argue, like a lot of these refines, they go with what seems to be popular (or synergies with the weapon). having a unit who can do both. Like, oh okay. in this map, maybe it would be better to have the OHKO power. Poof. Done. Oh look, I need Fred to be a tank. Remove DB4- but the lull atk/def still works great since  whatever buffs (which is so prevalent now) is negated AND they have the reduction in atk/def. and now instead of the slaying axe, you are hitting back w/a 16might weapon (which you don't even HAVE to refine for the EFF, you refine for more atk, or more def).

again to be fair. I don't know how you built your  Fred, and what you sacrificed to build him. but i mean for me, i'd be kinda excited to have a mix and match multiphase unit like Fred. I actually might build him up now to be EP and/or PP. It might not be the bestest refine that you dreamed but it's totally workable and i think easy to pull off, with just a little bit of saving. but  if you don't want to do it, and just keep what you have - then that's fine. 

I guess that is the curse of being a Cavalry. FEH is very self-aware under any other circunstances Cavalry would be OP because that is how Fire Emblem fundamentally works.

Edited by Troykv

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

You know, in thinking about it, this probably wouldn't even be that big a problem if they had just given him a Silver Axe, because maybe then he'd have been offered more than just a DB3 Prf Hammer.

I mean, we don't even need to look that far to see what having a Silver Weapon does for you. Virion got freaking Sudden Panic, one of the biggest pains this game has to offer, and +4 all stats if his Max HP is higher than the foes. Clair and Felicia made out like bandits to, but it's not like the three of them couldn't work with other existing weapons, like how Cherche started with a Hammer and received a Brave weapon, or Hinata having a Ruby Sword and getting a Sturdy Stance Katana.

It's not like it'd have been that farfetched to give him one either... game launch, we had three Hammer users and one Silver Axe user.

Frederick can use Desperation-Brash Assault. It is not the most amazing build out there, but it does Player Phase okay.

Frederick's Axe [special]
Reposition
Moonbow — Glimmer — Ruptured Sky
Brazen Atk/Def — Brazen Atk/Spd
Desperation
(Any C)
Brash Assault

If players can afford Brazen Atk/Spd, that helps double Wary Fighter armors.

7 minutes ago, XRay said:

Frederick can use Desperation-Brash Assault. It is not the most amazing build out there, but it does Player Phase okay.

Frederick's Axe [special]
Reposition
Moonbow — Glimmer — Ruptured Sky
Brazen Atk/Def — Brazen Atk/Spd
Desperation
(Any C)
Brash Assault

If players can afford Brazen Atk/Spd, that helps double Wary Fighter armors.

If Alfonse can use a build like this, why not Fred as well, right? Especially him that has easily access to buffs, like Fortify and Hone Cavalry

I could recommend Def Smoke for C Slot.

35 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

Yeah. and your point? All you need is one. It's not like you're building a healer or something and you need like  several 5* units to get the Wrathful/Balm+/Great Staff/Atk-Spd-Push 4 here. (which is like. my lot in this game right now, and thus, I am saving up all my orbs for extra copies of the like). 

Literally all you need is 1 Klein  (for DB3), and you need one Dimitri - a unit who will be on legendary in like 2-3 months, and with Sirius having the Lull Atk/Spd, chances are we'll probably have a "Heroes with Lull" Banner soon enough. just save up some orbs.and at least try. 

I mean. yah. sure. it could have been nice to have a stance in the weapon, but I would argue, like a lot of these refines, they go with what seems to be popular (or synergies with the weapon). having a unit who can do both. Like, oh okay. in this map, maybe it would be better to have the OHKO power. Poof. Done. Oh look, I need Fred to be a tank. Remove DB4- but the lull atk/def still works great since  whatever buffs (which is so prevalent now) is negated AND they have the reduction in atk/def. and now instead of the slaying axe, you are hitting back w/a 16might weapon (which you don't even HAVE to refine for the EFF, you refine for more atk, or more def).

again to be fair. I don't know how you built your  Fred, and what you sacrificed to build him. but i mean for me, i'd be kinda excited to have a mix and match multiphase unit like Fred. I actually might build him up now to be EP and/or PP. It might not be the bestest refine that you dreamed but it's totally workable and i think easy to pull off, with just a little bit of saving. but  if you don't want to do it, and just keep what you have - then that's fine. 

And my point is that one Dimitri can be hard enough to get as is.

This is the build I run on Frederick:

+Def
Slaying Axe+
Reposition
Moonbow
Sturdy Stance 2
Quick Reposte 3
Hone Cavalry

Slaying Axe+, Sturdy Stance, and QR all came from sacrificing 5 star units. To make this dumb armor effective Death Blow work, I'd have to change everything here but Reposition and Hone Cavalry. Even the asset would have to switch to +Atk to make the most of it. And I'd have been fine with trying that, honestly...if the weapon was a brave weapon or something like that.

I might use Frederick's Axe in place of the Slaying Axe if there's a tough map with a bunch of armors, but that'll probably be a rare thing.

41 minutes ago, Etheus said:

In retrospect, Atk/Def Lull as the refine skill probably would have been the best option, because it would complement him as both a player phase nuke and an enemy phase tank. 

I'd say Atk/Def Solo, but that would interfere with his ability to provide field buffs if using him as a tank.

Yeah, Atk/Def Lull would've been a good refine too, though considering how new the skill is, it would've been odd to see it as a refine so soon.

Just now, Anacybele said:

And my point is that one Dimitri can be hard enough to get as is.

This is the build I run on Frederick:

+Def
Slaying Axe+
Reposition
Moonbow
Sturdy Stance 2
Quick Reposte 3
Hone Cavalry

Slaying Axe+, Sturdy Stance, and QR all came from sacrificing 5 star units. To make this dumb armor effective Death Blow work, I'd have to change everything here but Reposition and Hone Cavalry. Even the asset would have to switch to +Atk to make the most of it. And I'd have been fine with trying that, honestly...if the weapon was a brave weapon or something like that.

I might use Frederick's Axe in place of the Slaying Axe if there's a tough map with a bunch of armors, but that'll probably be a rare thing.

Yeah, Atk/Def Lull would've been a good refine too, though considering how new the skill is, it would've been odd to see it as a refine so soon.

Hawkeye literally just received it as his.