Favorite and least favorite character endings

Thane

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Yet people complain a lot about Corrin marrying any of the Fates siblings because they constantly refer to one another as family/siblings.

That's because there was literally no reason for the Hoshidian siblings to be step-siblings and it's one of the many things that undermines Fates conflict. Side with the family that raised you or side with your real family.....except your real family isn't actually your real family at all, so why bother?

I don't think people mind Corrin marrying the Nohrian siblings nearly as much, because it's not incest.

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

And yet are fine with Corrin and Azura who are straight-up literal incest.

I mean, it's only a cousin-marriage, which isn't as bad as a sibling or half-sibling marriage. Also the fact that it's literally only ever brought up once in the story and none of the characters actually give a shit, which leads me to believe that the writers threw it in there to give Corrin a reason to inherit the Valliate throne.....even though he didn't need one. I honestly just pretend they aren't cousins. That's how irrelevant that fact is.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That's because there was literally no reason for the Hoshidian siblings to be step-siblings and it's one of the many things that undermines Fates conflict. Side with the family that raised you or side with your real family.....except your real family isn't actually your real family at all, so why bother?

I don't think people mind Corrin marrying the Nohrian siblings nearly as much, because it's not incest.

Yeah, and that's the reason I think it's worse than Geoffrey and Elincia. But I just don't think Geoffrey and Elincia are excusable either. They were still siblings in some way, even if it wasn't by blood. It just bothers me as someone who grew up with non-blood siblings.

Same with the Nohr siblings. They constantly refer to Corrin as their brother/sister and vice versa. And yet later they can decide it's okay to marry him/her? Just...what?

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree though.

Edited by Anacybele

4 minutes ago, RJWalker said:

Her failed rule is the explanation. She tried to rule Macedon but the people rebelled against her. Yes, Hardin influenced the rebellion but remember that the people of Macedon hailed Michalis as the second coming of Iote, their country's founder. Minerva 'betrayed' her country so they probably didn't think highly of her.

I know that she made mistakes as a leader, but forgiving Michalis? The person that murdered their father, kidnaps Maria, and goes to war with Dolhr all for the sake of his own ambition. And he possibly becomes the king of Macedon again? That's too far.

3 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

I know that she made mistakes as a leader, but forgiving Michalis? The person that murdered their father, kidnaps Maria, and goes to war with Dolhr all for the sake of his own ambition. And he possibly becomes the king of Macedon again? That's too far.

Michalis doesn't become the King of Macedon again. After his defeat, he gave up on trying to take it as he himself said. The War of Heroes was ultimately of Marth being the uniter of the continent that he rules himself.

And Minerva was also angered by Michalis' past actions, but I think through this war and by Maria, Minerva moved past her hatred. And even though he committed wrong, Minerva couldn't get herself to no longer see him as her brother. So her love for him as his sister didn't vanish. 

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

that's because there was literally no reason for the Hoshidian siblings to be step-siblings and it's one of the many things that undermines Fates conflict. Side with the family that raised you or side with your real family.....except your real family isn't actually your real family at all, so why bother?

That's probably the worst part of Fates writing because it undermines the premise without any real reason for it. The reveal might have worked if Corrin rightfully got really mad that he ended up betraying his adopted family for a bunch of strangers but nothing of the sort ever happens. It also makes Ryoma a bit of a scumbag since he insists Corrin's adoptive family can't possible have be a family to Corrin....despite knowing fully well he's adoptive family too. 

It all just reeks of it being added either because IS didn't want to deprive the people who thought the Hoshidan siblings were  hot of getting an avatar pairing....or because they didn't want to deprive people with an incest fetish. Whatever it is its an unwelcome reminder that fanservice was a far bigger priority then the very premise of the game. 

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, actually, I dislike how RD ended in general, so I agree here. I've only completed the game once due to that. And poor Gatrie, finding many women and never true love. That saddened me. And Geoffrey and Elincia were stepsiblings marrying one another. Like, ew. They're not as bad as Corrin marrying any of the Fates siblings or Azura, but they still were creepy to a degree too.

Just because Geoffrey and Elincia grew up together doesn’t mean they thought of each other as siblings. Plus their support can be seen as romantic.

29 minutes ago, Armagon said:

On another note, did Elincia ever display any signs of romantic affection for Geoffrey? I haven't played Radiant Dawn, so i wouldn't know.

Actually there was moment. A base conversation between Geoffrey and Elincia in Chapter 2-3. It definitely seems that the attraction is mutual.

13 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

It also doesn't help that Micalis probably has the worst evil scene in the entire series. He joins Medeus to dismantle all opposition towards him....and then what? It seems he's under the delusion he's special enough that he and Macedon can take Dolr all on their own after they helped Medeus conquer the word. He mentions teaming up with Camus but if Camus wasn't going to defect for the sake of Nyna and Marth he's certainly not going to do it for some tyrant with delusions of grandeur. 

7 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Michalis doesn't become the King of Macedon again. After his defeat, he gave up on trying to take it as he himself said. The War of Heroes was ultimately of Marth being the uniter of the continent that he rules himself.

His undeserved happy ending does say he ''maybe'' became king of Macedon again or ''maybe'' went to go conquer another continent. That's one of the reason I find his ending to be so bad, it goes back on Michalis actually pretty solid realization that he shouldn't rule Macedon again. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

1 minute ago, Water Mage said:

Just because Geoffrey and Elincia grew up together doesn’t mean they thought of each other as siblings. Plus their support can be seen as romantic.

I personally did not see their support as romantic, and the artbooks confirm they thought of one another as siblings, actually.

2 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Actually there was moment. A base conversation between Geoffrey and Elincia in Chapter 2-3. It definitely seems that the attraction is mutual.

I don't remember this... And I was certain I viewed every base conversation in the game except those that required certain circumstances, like a second playthrough or PoR transfer data. Maybe this was one of those?

2 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

His undeserved happy ending does say he ''maybe'' became king of Macedon again or ''maybe'' went to go conquer another continent. 

This is similar to Gangrel's ending, where people just say and assume, but never really know. 

1 hour ago, Solvaij said:

Worst Ending:

"The fires of war had illuminated the dark recesses of Zeke's memory. But he loved Tatiana too much to burden her with his tortuous past, so he chose to bear it in silence as they lived out their lives together."

Best Ending:

"The loss of Tatiana, the woman who had loved him deeply and unconditionally, shook Zeke with grief. He abruptly vanished from Valentia shortly after the war ended, and while some claim to have sighted him in Archanea, none of those sightings were confirmed."

Thing is, Tatiana's ending with Zeke confirms he goes to Archanea. So it doesn't contradict the canon.

Just now, omegaxis1 said:

This is similar to Gangrel's ending, where people just say and assume, but never really know. 

I think the later option is arguably far closer to canon then Michalis ruling Macedon again since as you said, it ends with Marth unifying the continent. But the ending does at least allow for the possibility. 

Come to think of it the historians of the Fire emblem worlds are just terrible at their job. They have a hard time confirming Azura's existence even if she's a queen and pretty important kings like Michalis and Gangral have vastly confliction records about their fates. You'd think it be easy to remember whether guy takes back his crown or goes to conquer a continent. 

Okay, I looked up that conversation, it's the one where Elincia gives Geoffrey his brave lance back. I remember it now. She seemed very formal with him to me there as usual, not romantic. "You are far more important to me than the chatter of nobles' whispers" or however it went COULD mean she loves him in THAT way, of course, but it could also just as easily mean she cares a lot about him platonically. Heck, it could even mean they're worried about people mistaking them for a couple when they're not.

As I said before, it's all down to interpretation and how one prefers to perceive it. People can see it as romance if they'd like, I can't stop them. And as I said, it's not as badly done as Corrin and the Fates siblings. But I still always saw it and still just prefer to see Geoffrey and Elincia in another way.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think the later option is arguably far closer to canon then Michalis ruling Macedon again since as you said, it ends with Marth unifying the continent. But the ending does at least allow for the possibility. 

Come to think of it the historians of the Fire emblem worlds are just terrible at their job. They have a hard time confirming Azura's existence even if she's a queen and pretty important kings like Michalis and Gangral have vastly confliction records about their fates. You'd think it be easy to remember whether guy takes back his crown or goes to conquer a continent. 

Mhm. But if we think about it, the historians only have the word of the people to go by, and it would actually be tough to find the accurate detail. If there are conflicting rumors, they cannot actually write what actually happened. As for Valla's case, well... Valla really doesn't have a population though to begin with since Anankos drove them to ruin. SO it would be hard for historians to accurately find the case for Azura too. 

35 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I personally did not see their support as romantic, and the artbooks confirm they thought of one another as siblings, actually.

The fact that they think of each siblings is what pretty much cements their relationship as romantic. In pretty much all anime and japanese games, whenever there’s a male character and a female character who think of each as siblings, it’s always come with romantic overtones. The “like brother and sister” romance is incredibly popular in Japan, and in harem anime and games, there’s always the “sister” romance option, which is always a popular character. Why do you think the “little sister enamored with her older brother” archetype, like Lachesis, Clarine, Priscilla and Clair, is so common in Fire Emblem?

@Etrurian emperor About Michalis getting an undeserved happy endings:

It’s implied that Michalis did all his crimes for the sake of making Macedon a powerful country. And patriotism is a powerful weapon. Him being seen as a patriotic king probably made him very popular with some more patriotic citzens, despite his brutalities. Hell, Minerva might be remembered as a bad queen because she wasn’t patriotic enough. Because of his patriotism, it wouldn’t suprise me if would let him rule again, despite him committing regicide/patricide. 

Edited by Water Mage

43 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Same with the Nohr siblings. They constantly refer to Corrin as their brother/sister and vice versa. And yet later they can decide it's okay to marry him/her? Just...what?

Well that's just Fates' writing being abysmal. But other than that, yeah, i do see your points. I just personally don't think step-sibling marriage is bad but as you said, we can agree to disagree.

19 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

As for Valla's case, well... Valla really doesn't have a population though to begin with since Anankos drove them to ruin. SO it would be hard for historians to accurately find the case for Azura too. 

Yet Corrin, the King of Valla, is accurately remembered. If historians can accurately find data on Corrin, it logically doesn't make sense that they would have trouble finding Azura's records as well, unless Azura pulled a Kris and ordered that she not be written in official documents.

The real explanation is that the writers wanted Azura to be mysterious to the very end.

My favorite ending is probably Ishtar's downfall. Everything leading up to that point is what made her character strong and very vibrant, and Ishtar is my favorite character in the whole series. (Even though I don't show it that much often.)

Least Favorite:

They were married after the conflict and were gifted with twin boys. Their time in Pherae was happy until bounty hunters came for Jaffar. To protect his family, he disappeared. Nino vanished in search of him.

Nino's Ending - She leaves her children in search for Jaffar, and never comes back. Like come on Nino, I know you're a deadly (cold blooded on the inside) assassin before, but isn't leaving your own kids a bit harsh? Same goes for Erk in Erk and Nino.

Tbh I don't remember that many endings like the ones that come in the form of text. E.g. Awakening, Echoes

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Yet Corrin, the King of Valla, is accurately remembered. If historians can accurately find data on Corrin, it logically doesn't make sense that they would have trouble finding Azura's records as well, unless Azura pulled a Kris and ordered that she not be written in official documents.

The real explanation is that the writers wanted Azura to be mysterious to the very end.

Yeah, very likely, since in the other two paths, she dies, so historians can't find records of her anymore.

3 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

The fact that they think of each siblings is what pretty much cements their relationship as romantic. In pretty much all anime and japanese games, whenever there’s a male character and a female character who think of each as siblings, it’s always come with romantic overtones. The “like brother and sister” romance is incredibly popular in Japan, and in harem anime and games, there’s always the “sister” romance option, which is always a popular character. Why do you think the “little sister enamored with her older brother” archetype, like Lachesis, Clarine, Priscilla and Clair, is so common in Fire Emblem?

Wow, that's just disgusting. Well, the way I see it.

And those sisters did not actually marry their brothers, you know. Plus, Priscilla said that Raven asking her to marry him was just a joke they did as kids, not actually serious.

Least favourite: Heath and Priscilla's ending. Give those two a break

Most favorite: Python's ending where Forsyth died. I don't prefer this ending, but it goes to show how much Python cared about his friend.

I think Mathilda has the worst ending. Delthea sealing her magic is a bit odd, but it at least makes some sense since she does mention how tired she is about people pushing her into the mage role just because she's good at it. Sealing her magic seems like a fix to that situation. Mathilda's ending on the other hand goes completely against her support with Clive. Why have a support where both are very happy with her being a war goddess if they just send her to the kitchen afterwards?

Most people doing the vanishing acts and Michalis are close seconds.

I don't have a clear defined favourite, but Maybe Lucius for the slightly more fire emblem 6 reference and his tragic fate. Dieck becoming some kind of super legend was fun to read about as well.

I have a few endings that don't really sit right with me for differing reasons.
Ike's is a no-brainer since it doesn't really fit his personality. Like, at all.
Also still mad that he has no paired ending with Sanaki I'm kidding. I think.
Next, the out-of-nowhere romance endings that, well, come out of nowhere and / or make no sense in the slightest since there was little to no build-up, the characters had little to no chemistry with each other or one party flat out rejected the other.
Examples:
Claire x Gray (no romantic interest from Claire's side)
Mist x Boyd (no build-up and zero chemistry)
Micaiah x Sothe (gross because of implications made within the story itself: them thinking of each other as siblings and her being what is essentially a mother figure for him)
Elincia x Geoffrey (as discussed in this very topic. Also out of nowhere with little to no build up)
Astrid x Makalov (No. Just no.)

And then there's the endings that just flat-out deny any kind of character development and just make them a glorified glass of mustard for some rando's sausage.
Faye (apparently still in love with Alm but still agrees to marry another random-ass villager... in what world does that make sense?)
Genny (what happened to the book she wanted to write?)
Delthea (Apparently all you're good for as a woman not named Silque in Fire Emblem Gaiden / Echoes is being a man's "getting off" tool. I think the feminists are on to something here.)
Mathilda (GO BACK TO THE KITCHEN!!!)

Bonus (Evidence no. 367 that giving people generic paired endings is a terrible idea):
Corrin x Hana (Revelation) (For just being utter nonsense: Becoming queen of Valla apparently means you still have to serve a princess of Hoshido. The hell kinda logic is that supposed to be?)
Corrin x Anna (Revelation) (Because it's contradictory. How are they supposed to spend "the rest of their lives together" when Anna apparently travels the world as a merchant? Does Corrin accompany her? How is he supposed to be king when he's in bumf*ck nowhere selling crap?)
Corrin x Selena (Revelation) (So, apparently Corrin went back to Ylisse with Selena in their paired ending... leaving a newborn country behind. I mean, not that I wouldn't leave Fateslandia as fast as humanly possible if I were in Corrin's shoes, but... ruling a kingdom from another dimension does sound a bit hard, doesn't it?)
And in the same vein as above: Xander x Selena.

Bonus Bonus: They were never seen or heard from again... (Lazy AF)

As far as favourites go, any of Kellam's paired endings in Awakening are a good candidate just because they are hilarious.
Also from Awakening, we have Sully x Stahl that I liked, as well as Tiki's solo ending, because it's really sweet.
I also like Robin's paired endings for whatever reason, even if they are generic.

Edited by DragonFlames

6 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Claire x Gray (no romantic interest from Claire's side)

In defense of this one, that was an established ending in Gaiden, so it had to happen no matter what. 

7 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

(Implied) Saber x Genny (He's 34, she's 15. And yet it's one of the franchise's most popular pairings (I think?). And yet there are people shaming others for marrying Nowi in Awakening or Sakura / Elise in Fates. The double standard is strong with this one. *ding*)

7 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

(Implied) Saber x Genny

8 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

(Implied)

You just spelled out the difference between Saber x Genny and Avatar x Nowi/Sakura/Elise 

I'll admit to marrying Nowi in my first playthrough but i was also 13 and didn't know any better. With that said, Nowi is still one of my favorite Awakening characters. 

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

You just spelled out the difference between Saber x Genny and Avatar x Nowi/Sakura/Elise

Which is why I went back and edited my post. 'twas a bit of a miss-step on my part, I will admit. Sorry.
Though I'll still marry Nowi in Awakening without shame. It's a gosh darn video game, so I'll pick my character's SO based on personality, not looks.
Also getting TWO broken Manaketes is cool, so there's that, too.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

In defense of this one, that was an established ending in Gaiden, so it had to happen no matter what. 

I'll admit to marrying Nowi in my first playthrough but i was also 13 and didn't know any better. With that said, Nowi is still one of my favorite Awakening characters. 

Wasn't Saber/Genny shot down completely in Echoes because their endings never change? I mean Genny or Saber could marry a corpse if the other dies, but I don't think thats what they where going for