Enemies that frustrate you

Here, we list common enemies (Not bosses or unique enemies), that give you grief like it's candy.

Enemy Master Ninjas in Fates. They're fast, they have poison strike, and they can weaken you if you survive their attacks, allowing their buddies to easily kill you.

I was gonna say Ninjas, but you ninja'd that one.

Berserkers and anyone carrying killer weapons are annoying because I really don't want to reset simply because I had lame luck.

Dread Fighters are annoying because they're fast and can move really friggin' far for simple infantry units.

Apothecaries and Master Merchants are surprisingly resilient and can mess you up if they have spendthrift and some gold.

And myrmidons/samurai and Swordmasters are just an absolute pain to hit even with WTA.

Also anyone capable of siege attacks, particularly if I can't get my squishy units to avoid them, and especially if the siege attacks can double.

Unarmed Healers on Rout Maps. I don't like striking down enemies, even unreal enemies, who can't hit back - it doesn't sit well with me for some reason, at least in Fire Emblem, so I always leave unarmed Clerics, Troubadours, etc. alive if I can help it during older games thanks to Seize requirements. Occasionally I have to break the rule, such as certain maps in Shadow Dragon where the Healers are parked right by the boss and I can't one-round him without someone dying, but I usually only do so as a bit of a last resort.

Berserkers in Fates (because I don't think a single other game in the series uses this class as much as Fates does)

They hit ridiculously hard in a game were most units seem to have low health, they're fast so they double, high crit rates so they can out right oneshot you unless they're equipped with some kind of specialty weapon which just makes them dangerous in another way. This class in the epitome of gambling whether they are under your control or not. They're unreliable when you have them and you need to be lucky when they're enemies. I don't think any other class has ever driven me as crazy as them.

Enemies grouped together are generally frustrating in Genealogy unless they're wyverns or Pegasus Knights, and you have at least two archers. They're not usually hard to beat but if they keep ganging up on one unit (such as Alec or Quan)  only, then said unit may very likely die. Its even worse if there's a boss among the group as well (and that's usually the case in Genealogy).

Bandits are frustrating due to their ability to ransack an entire village. I'm forced to move my units quickly to save villages because of them.

Mages during early game get on my nerves as they can easily wipe out or heavily damage a unit with low res. And a lot of units tend to have low res.

Mass cavalier formations in Tellius. If you don't choke a point with a strong and fast character, they will hit and run because of Canto. They might not do a lot of damage, but they could very well be just out of reach for weaker units to kill and not expose themselves. Also, soldier formations, because soldiers are expected to promote, meaning their stats aren't as bad as they are in other games.

Cantors. I just love it when a whole swarm of gargoyles flies down and kills me. Witches are fun too. But what takes it all is any cleric/healer with a hexing rod. In an instant, my tankiest unit becomes more frail than one of my healers. The hexing rod’s range is too good, and Azama just weakens me enough for the others to finish me. Now that I think about it I guess I could of scilenced him, but...

17 minutes ago, Will Bill said:

Cantors. I just love it when a whole swarm of gargoyles flies down and kills me. Witches are fun too. But what takes it all is any cleric/healer with a hexing rod. In an instant, my tankiest unit becomes more frail than one of my healers. The hexing rod’s range is too good, and Azama just weakens me enough for the others to finish me. Now that I think about it I guess I could of scilenced him, but...

The horrid thing about Hexing Rods is that the enemies who use them have insane magic stats and will always out-range your Silence staff.

What annoys me the most is that any Skirmish in Fates has Bow users in it. Every. Single. One. And may whatever deity you believe in bless your patience if you don't have any 1-2 range weaponry to counter them on enemy phase... picking them off one by one is INCREDIBLY annoying.
This is especially bad when you try to grind gold statues with your fliers and don't want to use / don't have the DLC to do it.

And that's not even getting into the other enemies that carry effective weaponry that also love to appear in Skirmishes.

Why even give people the option to grind when you go out of your way to make it next to impossible for some units?

Also, screw enemy Apothecaries and Merchants. Screw them hard. Why the hell are they strong, accurate, fast and tanky at the same damn time?

Ninjas. Conquest Ch.17 gave me nightmares. Oof.

Every enemy in FE4. They aren't hard or anything. But the thing that's frustrating is that they are able to change their weapons during the player phase. For example,  Generals can wield all physical weapons in this game. Say one of them uses a Bow during the enemy phase. So, during the player phase, you move to attack that General with a Lance. Logically, that General shouldn't be able to attack since he's got a Bow equipped. But nah, that General switches to a Lance when you attack him because fuck you.

Magic users with Siege Tomes or Berserk Staffs can be frustrating at times, especially if i'm under a time-limit. Same goes for Ballistas.

Arcanists in SoV Hard Mode hit like a Goddamn truck sometimes but only if they have Mire. I personally find Mire-wielding Arcanists to be worse than Cantors. Cantos can at least be used to farm EXP.

2 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Bandits are frustrating due to their ability to ransack an entire village. I'm forced to move my units quickly to save villages because of them.

This. This so much. It's one of my many issues with FE4. The game forces you to move as fast as possible if you want to save villages but some villages will take damage regardless because some Bandits start the map either on the villages or right next to them. It's like every map is under a pseudo time-limit.

6 hours ago, Sasori said:

Hexing rod priests for always being well protected and making multiple of your units completely worthless until the map ends.

40 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

The horrid thing about Hexing Rods is that the enemies who use them have insane magic stats and will always out-range your Silence staff.

Took the words right out my mouth. I'm a firm believer that status effects have no place in Fire Emblem and Hexing Rods are the ultimate proof of that.

Arcanists and Cantors that have magic other than miasma, because the rest of the enemy spells have the combination of having over ten might and 1-3 range. Compounded with having an actually good attack stat, and the fact that all of your units, even mages, have low resistance, and you'll learn what getting hit with a magical truck looks like. Their only saving grace is they don't have any kind of promotion, as if that helps any.

Runner-ups would have to be Dread Fighters and Bow Knights from SoV. Enemy dread fighters aren't bad to face when using your own dread fighters or a knight who can tank the hits, but very little else fares well against them. Bow Knights, especially on hard mode where they get actual bows, combine mobility with a large attack range, and archers in general range from simply being an annoyance to being the entire reason a level is hard. And as stated above, they wield bows on hard mode (which makes them more inaccurate, thankfully), taking pegasus knights down a peg in usefulness. The reason they aren't as frustrating as they could be is the fact that warp, rescue, and physic are really useful in that game.

4 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

Arcanists and Cantors that have magic other than miasma, because the rest of the enemy spells have the combination of having over ten might and 1-3 range. Compounded with having an actually good attack stat, and the fact that all of your units, even mages, have low resistance, and you'll learn what getting hit with a magical truck looks like. Their only saving grace is they don't have any kind of promotion, as if that helps any.

Runner-ups would have to be Dread Fighters and Bow Knights from SoV. Enemy dread fighters aren't bad to face when using your own dread fighters or a knight who can tank the hits, but very little else fares well against them. Bow Knights, especially on hard mode where they get actual bows, combine mobility with a large attack range, and archers in general range from simply being an annoyance to being the entire reason a level is hard. And as stated above, they wield bows on hard mode (which makes them more inaccurate, thankfully), taking pegasus knights down a peg in usefulness. The reason they aren't as frustrating as they could be is the fact that warp, rescue, and physic are really useful in that game.

And fortify is a godsend.

Anyone with a Killer Bow or a Bolting tome is a serious pain in my back. Berserk casters are a close third.

Basicly any status spells can be annoying, but I still find it hilarious when my sleeping unit is dodging ballista shots.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

This. This so much. It's one of my many issues with FE4. The game forces you to move as fast as possible if you want to save villages but some villages will take damage regardless because some Bandits start the map either on the villages or right next to them. It's like every map is under a pseudo time-limit.

I agree. Even though in FE4 the villages take some turns to be completely destroyed, most bandits or pirates tend to be close enough to them to start ransacking them within the first few turns of a chapter.

Also should have mention that thieves are very irritating, especially if they manage to steal stuff from chests and escape. It doesn't help that they have high movement than the average footy ( well...iirc)

Edited by Flee Fleet!

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Every enemy in FE4. They aren't hard or anything. But the thing that's frustrating is that they are able to change their weapons during the player phase. For example,  Generals can wield all physical weapons in this game. Say one of them uses a Bow during the enemy phase. So, during the player phase, you move to attack that General with a Lance. Logically, that General shouldn't be able to attack since he's got a Bow equipped. But nah, that General switches to a Lance when you attack him because fuck you.

That sounds like the most unfair BS I have ever heard.
I am not eager to play "the best FE game" now and I highly doubt it even deserves that title just from this fact alone.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Took the words right out my mouth. I'm a firm believer that status effects have no place in Fire Emblem and Hexing Rods are the ultimate proof of that.

Definitely agreed. Berserk, Freeze, Enfeeble, Sleep... all these staves can go to hell. If only because it's 100x more effective when the enemy does it to you and you can rarely hit people who you would want to hit with them anyway.

13 hours ago, CyberController said:

Enemy Master Ninjas in Fates. They're fast, they have poison strike, and they can weaken you if you survive their attacks, allowing their buddies to easily kill you.

You might not want to play them on Lunatic then.  On Chapter 17 they come with Poison Strike AND Grisly Wound, which means 40% lost HP if you can't kill him on his turn and 20% lost on your turn.  The great thing is though you can capture them and use them on your team.  There is one in the northern part of the map that has Movement +1 on top of PS, GW, and LT. 

On Chapter 25 they come with the enemy exclusive skill Inevitable End which enables unlimited stacking for debuffs (Hint: Get Shurikenbreaker ASAP)

Yea, after Conquest you'll end up with a burning hatred for Ninjas.

2 minutes ago, anniec8711 said:

You might not want to play them on Lunatic then.  On Chapter 17 they come with Poison Strike AND Grisly Wound, which means 40% lost HP if you can't kill him on his turn and 20% lost on your turn.  The great thing is though you can capture them and use them on your team.  There is one in the northern part of the map that has Movement +1 on top of PS, GW, and LT. 

On Chapter 25 they come with the enemy exclusive skill Inevitable End which enables unlimited stacking for debuffs (Hint: Get Shurikenbreaker ASAP)

Yea, after Conquest you'll end up with a burning hatred for Ninjas.

If you're like me, you don't even need to play Lunatic to hate Ninjas. Even Normal difficulty is enough under the right circumstances.

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Um, don't staves have a fixed range in Fates?

Anyway...

Berserkers in Fates. They hit hard in a game where HP tends to be pretty low, and unless your name is Xander or Leo, they have high enough crit rates that you're likely going to have to either downgrade all the way to bronze or have a joke weapon to nullify their crit chance. Any fight involving them is pretty much Russian Roulette otherwise. Especially if they're on your side. They're the perfect example of a class that's much better as an enemy class than as a player class.

Warriors in Awakening. One word: Counter.

13 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Um, don't staves have a fixed range in Fates?

Anyway...

Berserkers in Fates. They hit hard in a game where HP tends to be pretty low, and unless your name is Xander or Leo, they have high enough crit rates that you're likely going to have to either downgrade all the way to bronze or have a joke weapon to nullify their crit chance. Any fight involving them is pretty much Russian Roulette otherwise. Especially if they're on your side. They're the perfect example of a class that's much better as an enemy class than as a player class.

Warriors in Awakening. One word: Counter.

Do they? I don't honestly remember. If they do, then the Silence staff available to players definitely has less range than the Hexing Rod the enemies can use.

Berserkers, Ninjas, status staves, the Counter skills... what they all have in  common is that they are more useful in enemy hands than they are in your own.
I also really loathe Spear Masters as enemies in Conquest. They hit like trucks, tank like crazy due to having insane HP and none of the Conquest Squad of Slowness and Inaccuracy (CSSI for short) can reliably double, much less one-round them. If you can double, your unit is probably too weak to kill them or has a weapon triangle disadvantage or both. And due to them having a crit boost, facing them - like Berserkers - is basically a game of Russian Roulette, as you so aptly put it. And to make matters worse, they almost always carry Seal skills to cripple you.
Bonus points if there's a group of them. Surviving two or more of them comes down to pure luck.

Edited by DragonFlames

6 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Do they? I don't honestly remember. If they do, then the Silence staff available to players definitely has less range than the Hexing Rod the enemies can use.

Nah, they both have the same range. I think the real issue is the hit-rates. Enemy Hexing Rod users have a lot of RES and RES is what determines Staff hit-rates.

26 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Nah, they both have the same range. I think the real issue is the hit-rates. Enemy Hexing Rod users have a lot of RES and RES is what determines Staff hit-rates.

Okay, that's what it was! I knew I messed up somewhere! Thanks for correcting me!