Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

14 minutes ago, Slumber said:
Spoiler

Hey. 

We don't know what Mach Rider looks like under the helmet. They could be a girl. 

Yeah I'm hearing murmurs of that but I doubt it will be the case.

Edited by Florete

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, SilvertheShadow said:

More interesting development regarding the banner leak. I’ve watched some this guy’s videos before and he’s definitely the earnest type, so I highly doubt he’s lying about this. Doesn’t solidify anything yet, but I’m feeling more convinced now.

I've been following PapaGenos' videos since the start of the Ultimate speculation - I highly doubt he's lying. He also only covers things that he is absolutely sure have a bit of credibility, if that means anything.

Spoiler

Anyways, didn't Sakurai plan to have Mach Rider in Melee? Or am I mixing them up with Excitebiker?

Also, people are thinking that they're seeing Skull Kid near Mach Rider's bike, and while I don't believe it due to Skull Kid not being mentioned in the ChadGanon text leak that seems to coincides with this, I have to say, it looks scarily like the Majora's Mask.

Edited by Lau

36 minutes ago, Lau said:

Hide contents

Anyways, didn't Sakurai plan to have Mach Rider in Melee? Or am I mixing them up with Excitebiker?

Sakurai has joked about both possibilities. But it doesn't appear either were ever seriously considered.

41 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Hey. 

Hide contents

We don't know what Mach Rider looks like under the helmet. They could be a girl.

Spoiler

I'd love a babe on a bike.

Hey yeah, where are the women? I met the proud owner of an Isabelle body pillow at an Ultimate demo event, but there's gotta be some good, non guest candidates. Also nobody believes me about my suspicions that Ridley is female. 

5 hours ago, Florete said:

If it is real, I have two separate responses:

Response 1: The mature and optimistic.

Reveal hidden contents

Well, this means I didn't get a single one of my most-wanted characters. I only actually wrote out a top 5, but even were I to extend it to top 10 I'm pretty sure none of the newcomers would be on it. I literally haven't played any of the games these final five are from. And yeah, some of my most-wanted were longshots (Anna, 2B), but Dixie Kong missing out again kind of stings.

However...I can't deny that this is a solid set of newcomers. A lot of people will be happy. And since a lot of fan favorites made it in, the likes of Dixie and Shantae stand that much greater of a chance of being DLC.

Regardless, this roster is massive and there are still plenty of characters on it I love even if none of the newcomers are included in that, so I can't possibly be mad.

Response 2: The immature knee-jerk.

Reveal hidden contents

7 more and all of them are dudes, stupid fucking sausage fest.

Response one - there is always potential for DLC. Actually, not potential. It is inevitable. I wouldn't necessarily count out all of your most wanted characters. At any rate, most of these leaked characters very much deserved to get in. 

Response two - we just got Isabelle, Kazooie is a girl, and Mach Rider could be a girl. 

Edited by Etheus

@Florete In all fairness, we have come a long way from simply having the big three (Peach, Zelda/Sheik, and Samus) for females. 4 brought us Rosalina, Palutena, Lucina, and Bayonetta while also having female variants for Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, Corrin, and Villager with the former being the predominant one. Smash 4 was huge on giving more female representation.

I can understand how Ultimate might be underwhelming in that regard, but it still hasn’t ignored the fairer sex. We now have Daisy, Isabelle, and Dark Samus, while Leaf is an alternate to Red for Pokémon Trainer. It’s likely still counting too.

43 minutes ago, SilvertheShadow said:

@Florete In all fairness, we have come a long way from simply having the big three (Peach, Zelda/Sheik, and Samus) for females. 4 brought us Rosalina, Palutena, Lucina, and Bayonetta while also having female variants for Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, Corrin, and Villager with the former being the predominant one. Smash 4 was huge on giving more female representation.

I can understand how Ultimate might be underwhelming in that regard, but it still hasn’t ignored the fairer sex. We now have Daisy, Isabelle, and Dark Samus, while Leaf is an alternate to Red for Pokémon Trainer. It’s likely still counting too.

If anything, I would say that Smash has gone out of its way towards giving female characters more representation proportionally by cast percentage than the industry at large. 

46 minutes ago, SilvertheShadow said:

Don't forget Pikachu Libre! You can tell by the heart shaped tail!

I'm so sorry, hahahah

Sorry for double posting but I just found this on Reddit...

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9r9oyp/official_response_from_marina_plv_company_where/

Official statement from the company the leaker worked act. Apparently the guy hasn't been working for them since November 2016.

...This could actually be the greatest fake leak in Smash history.

37 minutes ago, Lau said:

Sorry for double posting but I just found this on Reddit...

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9r9oyp/official_response_from_marina_plv_company_where/

Official statement from the company the leaker worked act. Apparently the guy hasn't been working for them since November 2016.

...This could actually be the greatest fake leak in Smash history.

This only shows that he no longer works for Marina PLV. Read down and you'll find that he works at ACP PLV (or does until it can be deconfirmed). 

In other words, theory still stands as possible.

17 minutes ago, Etheus said:

This only shows that he no longer works for Marina PLV. Read down and you'll find that he works at ACP PLV (or does until it can be deconfirmed). 

In other words, theory still stands as possible.

Ah, my bad. I was getting ahead of myself there, hahah.

If the leak does prove real, well I was already planning on skipping Ultimate at launch, so this changes nothing.

Not to say it doesn't have new characters I like, it certainly would, but I just don't find it good enough. I blame fans, the short-lived existence of the Wii U necessitating another Smash too soon, and the weight of the franchise itself. That and for some reason, I find myself easily embittered with Smash, will wait on DLC to see if shelling out another 20-30 adds more sugar to the deal.

Spoiler
9 hours ago, Slumber said:

So Zero Suit Mach Rider confirmed for Smash Ne Plus Ultra?

That'd be wholly unoriginal, giving us a second Samus all these years later.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

If the leak does prove real, well I was already planning on skipping Ultimate at launch, so this changes nothing.

Not to say it doesn't have new characters I like, it certainly would, but I just don't find it good enough. I blame fans, the short-lived existence of the Wii U necessitating another Smash too soon, and the weight of the franchise itself. That and for some reason, I find myself easily embittered with Smash, will wait on DLC to see if shelling out another 20-30 adds more sugar to the deal.

Hide contents

So Zero Suit Mach Rider confirmed for Smash Ne Plus Ultra?

That'd be wholly unoriginal, giving us a second Samus all these years later.

Exactly how much do they have to offer to justify themselves? They already offer the largest fighting game roster of any official fighting game in history. 

If this leak is real, then they'll be introducing roughly as many new characters as Injustice 2 did, and that game actually cut a large part of its prequel's roster. 

12 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Hide contents

As much as I enjoyed B&K as a child, Rare owns all the rights to them and now works for Nintendo's lesser rival. I recall hearing that Microsoft being big on cross-system play some time ago, but would that extend so far to something like this where they wouldn't benefit all that much?

Xbox head honcho Phil Spencer has said that he'd be totally fine with Banjo and Kazooie appearing in a Super Smash Bros. game.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

5 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Exactly how much do they have to offer to justify themselves? They already offer the largest fighting game roster of any official fighting game in history. 

If this leak is real, then they'll be introducing roughly as many new characters as Injustice 2 did, and that game actually cut a large part of its prequel's roster. 

I don't think it is a matter of quantity, as it is of personal hype, which doesn't require quantity, just the right people. And I'm not sure if any of these new additions is making me sing with joy, although I'm not sure who would. Only because of a recent passing onrush of Xeno adoration at this point, does Elma stick out in my mind as offering that possibility.

And to be honest, I'm not the kind of person who is in a rush to buy every new Smash anyhow. When most of the roster returning is the same and I can still play the old game perfectly well, and I'm not caught up in online and competitive, and without others local to play against, there isn't that much drive for me to get another Smash at release day.

On a related note, I'm seriously considering skipping WO4 for the holidays given WO3H is still perfectly good for me, it'd "saturate" me in a similar way another Smash might. I think I need a little more temporal space.

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't think it is a matter of quantity, as it is of personal hype, which doesn't require quantity, just the right people. And I'm not sure if any of these new additions is making me sing with joy, although I'm not sure who would. Only because of a recent passing onrush of Xeno adoration at this point, does Elma stick out in my mind as offering that possibility.

And to be honest, I'm not the kind of person who is in a rush to buy every new Smash anyhow. When most of the roster returning is the same and I can still play the old game perfectly well, and I'm not caught up in online and competitive, and without others local to play against, there isn't that much drive for me to get another Smash at release day.

On a related note, I'm seriously considering skipping WO4 for the holidays given WO3H is still perfectly good for me, it'd "saturate" me in a similar way another Smash might. I think I need a little more temporal space.

Well, that is your prerogative and that's fair enough.

As for me, I missed the boat on Smash 4 because of the lacking single player content and them cutting my SSBB main (Wolf). So, for me, SSBU is an exciting entry which bridges the gap between missing the series for what... a decade?

I also canceled my WO4 preorder. WO3 is perfectly good and there are simply too many games that I have yet to catch up on. 

Edited by Etheus

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

As for me, I missed the boat on Smash 4 because of the lacking single player content and them cutting my SSBB main (Wolf). So, for me, SSBU is an exciting entry which bridges the gap between missing for the series for what... a decade?

Nice for you. Well not nice that you skipped because Wolf got cut. I don't get why they got rid of him instead of Falco in SSBU, Wolf was definitely a semiclone of Fox, whereas for me, not the most technical analyzer of characters, Falco was just too cloney. That and why did Fox need his semirival wingman and as opposed to his frienemy rival? Maybe I just like Star Wolf a bunch, that could be it, thanks again Assault. Although that might have made them too friendly, one battle and then they united with Fox for the rest of the game.

And the return of Young Link makes me happy in a similar way, albeit not as much since he seems redundant with Toon Link and I can accept Toon Link as having dethroned him. I'll be interested in hearing just how technically distinct he is from the other two Links, which I would think to be less than the difference between Wolf and his two.

And another thought, more characters means more work for that giant grid of rewards in a few cases. All Stars on Hard for everyone again? More rounds, more characters to put through those more rounds. 

Okay, so I'm on Team Fake, but I'll admit all the Grinch memes it's generating make it worth it for that alone.

But let's hypothetically assume it is real for a second; if it is, fuck whoever leaked it for ruining the hype, denying Sakurai's wish to get through the pre-release phase without somebody spoiling the roster, and being an attention-craving twat. Again, I think it's fake, but that would only absolve them of the first two charges.

As for the contents of the leak itself...

Spoiler

Banjo and Chorus Kids are extremely skepticism-inducing even if we ignore the dubious source of the leak. The former is tied up in Rare and Microsoft (even if a Microsoft exec is okay with the idea of Banjo in Smash, it doesn't mean there wouldn't be a crapload of legal hoops to jump through) and as far as I know is not particularly popular in Japan; while those two aren't damning on their own (see: Snake and Dark Samus, respectively), together they make it a very unlikely character choice.

The only reason anybody is talking about Chorus Kids at all is because of a stupid Smash 4 leak that got everybody drinking its Kool-Aid. I don't believe anybody actually wants Chorus Kids, they just got themselves so worked up into believing they would be in the game that they pre-emptively made themselves like the idea. I don't have a problem with them, but I can't imagine them actually getting in just because of a Smash 4 leak.

Geno should generate doubt but honestly at this point I actually wouldn't be surprised by him at all. He's under that same "too crazy a choice to not be included" banner that got Ridley and K. Rool in, and Sakurai obviously likes the character a lot.

Edited by Anomalocaris

1 hour ago, Anomalocaris said:

Okay, so I'm on Team Fake, but I'll admit all the Grinch memes it's generating make it worth it for that alone.

But let's hypothetically assume it is real for a second; if it is, fuck whoever leaked it for ruining the hype, denying Sakurai's wish to get through the pre-release phase without somebody spoiling the roster, and being an attention-craving twat. Again, I think it's fake, but that would only absolve them of the first two charges.

As for the contents of the leak itself...

Hide contents

Banjo and Chorus Kids are extremely skepticism-inducing even if we ignore the dubious source of the leak. The former is tied up in Rare and Microsoft (even if a Microsoft exec is okay with the idea of Banjo in Smash, it doesn't mean there wouldn't be a crapload of legal hoops to jump through) and as far as I know is not particularly popular in Japan; while those two aren't damning on their own (see: Snake and Dark Samus, respectively), together they make it a very unlikely character choice.

The only reason anybody is talking about Chorus Kids at all is because of a stupid Smash 4 leak that got everybody drinking its Kool-Aid. I don't believe anybody actually wants Chorus Kids, they just got themselves so worked up into believing they would be in the game that they pre-emptively made themselves like the idea. I don't have a problem with them, but I can't imagine them actually getting in just because of a Smash 4 leak.

Geno should generate doubt but honestly at this point I actually wouldn't be surprised by him at all. He's under that same "too crazy a choice to not be included" banner that got Ridley and K. Rool in, and Sakurai obviously likes the character a lot.

Dataming showed that there was placeholder data for a "Rhythm" series icon, and Rhythm Heaven was the only series aside from Ice Climbers to have an enemy in Smash Run on the 3DS version but not have a playable character. ...And we know for a fact that the Ice Climbers were cut mid-development. So it stands to reason that they were actually planned from Smash 4.

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

Hide contents

Dataming showed that there was placeholder data for a "Rhythm" series icon, and Rhythm Heaven was the only series aside from Ice Climbers to have an enemy in Smash Run on the 3DS version but not have a playable character. ...And we know for a fact that the Ice Climbers were cut mid-development. So it stands to reason that they were actually planned from Smash 4.

Spoiler

Ehhhh, well not exactly. Smash has featured plenty of stages representing a series without having a character from that series. It could've simply meant that there was a Rhythem Heaven stage planned.

I won't deny the other possibilty but a simple icon isn't proof that a character would've been playable compared to the datamined info on Brawl's Forbidden 7, where actual character files were found.

It's worth noting that...

Spoiler

Nintendo is likely already in talks with Microsoft due to Nintendo probably being in the planning stages, if not much further than that, of the N64 classic. So many of Nintendo's AAA games on that console alone being Rare franchises, a good chunk of which are now Microsoft owned. Nintendo wouldn't be able to put anything Banjo, Conker, Jet Force Gemini, Blast Corps, Perfect Dark or Killer Instinct related on the N64 Classic without Microsoft's go ahead. This extends to games like Diddy Kong Racing, which has both Conker and Banjo in it. 11 years ago, Microsoft was willing to let Rare develop for Nintendo for the Diddy Kong Racing remake on the DS, albeit without Conker and Banjo, but those were somewhat different circumstances. Conker and Perfect Dark might not have a spot on the N64 Classic due to them being M rated, and you could probably take or leave KI, but the lack of Banjo(And by extension, Diddy Kong Racing), Blast Corps and JFG would be pretty devastating to an N64 Classic when the situation would be avoidable with negotiations between M$ and Nintendo.

Microsoft and Nintendo seem to be on pretty good terms, and multiple people within Xbox saying stuff about Banjo in Smash seems to indicate that it's really not unlikely for Banjo. Obviously it's ultimately Nintendo's call, but I really don't see why it would be any harder to believe that Banjo would be on the roster than Cloud, considering how tightly Square still has their fingers on FF representation in Smash. If anything, I figure it'd be drastically easier to put Banjo in the game than something like Cloud, supposing all parties involved are on board.

Of course Nintendo could just not put a ton of their most notable N64 games on the Classic and they're not talking to Microsoft at all, and there's 0 chance of Banjo in Smash. But the friendly tweets and the cross-platform multiplayer for both seems to indicate that they're probably talking about these kinds of things.

Edited by Slumber