Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

1 minute ago, PeaceRibbon said:

Pretty awesome direct overall. Piranha Plant was the newcomer that nobody asked for but we all realized we needed and I am hyped! Really happy to have another adventure mode too, after all for all it's lengthy missteps The Subspace Emissary was easily one of my favorite things about Brawl in before final boss is revealed to be an allegory for smash community greed :P. I really hate the extra price tag for internet play but at this point I might pay out so I can reunite with the Serenes Smash Community.

Tiki, Owain, Severa, Seliph, Hinoka, The Black Knight, Alm, Celica... Give the poor boy his cake.

I hate the fact that net play costs extra. But alas, it's the economy we live in. They can force us to do it by making a game this good.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, TheGoodHoms said:

I GOT BINGO GUYS! WHAT DO I WIN?!

Smash Bros Ultimate Bingo 11/1/18

The Grinch Leak is Real

More Assist Pokemon

More Stages

Elma

All-Star Mode

Incineroar

Adventure/Story Mode

Sakurai Trolls Us

Isaac

More Characters Die

Ken

Downloadable Demo

Free Space

More Assist Trophies

Fans Complain About Waluigi

Smash Run

N64 Smash Bros on Eshop

Shadow The Hedgehog

More Music

Fire Emblem Character

More Items

Break The Targets

Trophy Gallery

The Grinch Leak is Fake

Shantae

Bingo Master, comin' through. Let's see...

Sorry, you wrote down All Star Mode. But it's All Star Smash, just another option in Multi Man Smash. Wording is everything in Bingo and Love.

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Or they could include Xenoblade 2's actual protagonist. See my previous post. I'm not against an Elma inclusion, but I can't imagine why they would include her over Rex unless they thought she had much more potential for a moveset.

Both Elma and Rex have very disticnt potential movesets so that's not an issue. 

They could totally put in Elma over Rex and that's looking like the likelier option anyway.

Unless like, Mythra is playable instead. I didn't see a Spirit of her

5 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Bingo Master, comin' through. Let's see...

Sorry, you wrote down All Star Mode. But it's All Star Smash, just another option in Multi Man Smash. Wording is everything in Bingo and Love.

2lh9gp.jpg

HE WINS.

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Both Elma and Rex have very disticnt potential movesets so that's not an issue. 

They could totally put in Elma over Rex and that's looking like the likelier option anyway.

Unless like, Mythra is playable instead. I didn't see a Spirit of her

I think Rex's potential for a moveset is much higher than Elma thanks to his anchor chain, fire and light based abilities. While Elma just has guns and swords. But that's a moot point. Even taking them as equally valid moveset potential, Rex is still from a more recent and much more popular game. Elma doesn't need a moveset as good as Rex to get in, she needs a moveset that's far superior to Rex's to get in. Another big point is that if they wanted Elma in the game, they could have put her in already. Her game was released long before Ultimate began production. She is clearly not a priority, while they imply Rex absolute is and he would have been in the game had Xenoblade 2 been made earlier. Calling it now, only way Elma is getting in is if both she and Rex both appear as DLC. Which I don't see as altogether unlikely, as with the inclusion of spirits (and assuming a character can't be both a spirit/assist trophy and a fighter) there's really not a huge amount of characters left they can put in this game (although with Piranha Plant here, absolutely anyone is possible).

Edited by Jotari

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Its a complete joke but one I actually find pretty funny. 

The funniest thing is that he(?) actually looks like a really fun character. Makes me wonder what WTF character they can possibly come up with for the next game.

Just now, Etheus said:

Instead of Rex, they could always add any other driver & blade.

Nia & Pyra.

Morag & Brighid

Zeke & Pandoria

Laura & Jin

Etc.

Off the top of my head I know Zeke was confirmed as a spirit.

Also, do you think they're comment about "not talking about Echoes" means they're not actually going to add any Echoes to DLC? Because a Shulk!Malos Echo would still be nice.

Edited by Jotari

5 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Its a complete joke but one I actually find pretty funny. 

I want to laugh too. I want to laugh so badly at this, but I just can't

Edited by Zangetsu

I wasn't a fan of the Grinch leak, but I'd take it over this. I am...disappointed.

• Incineroar. The dumbest, most boring of the gen 7 starter evolutions.
  • Spirits mode is basically event matches? First impression isn't great.
  • No trophies? What? A staple of the series since Melee is gone in the Ultimate Smash Bros.?
  • No sign of break the targets anywhere. It's changed over the series, but it's been a staple since the very beginning.
  • Piranha Plant. Just...what? Why?

Where did my hype go?

44 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Anyway, the Grinch is dead, i told you all, never believe another leak ever again.

Vergeben was 100% accurate, though. So we just have to believe the right leaks.

2 minutes ago, Florete said:

I wasn't a fan of the Grinch leak, but I'd take it over this. I am...disappointed.

• Incineroar. The dumbest, most boring of the gen 7 starter evolutions.
  • Spirits mode is basically event matches? First impression isn't great.
  • No trophies? What? A staple of the series since Melee is gone in the Ultimate Smash Bros.?
  • No sign of break the targets anywhere. It's changed over the series, but it's been a staple since the very beginning.
  • Piranha Plant. Just...what? Why?

Where did my hype go?

Vergeben was 100% accurate, though. So we just have to believe the right leaks.

Vergeben mentionedSteve and another Square rep, didn’t he? Or was that someone else?

1 minute ago, Zangetsu said:

He also said "Steve!?" was going to be in the game & look where that is.

No, he said Minecraft content would be in the game, though yes, I forgot about that, so one thing he was wrong about.

EDIT: Oh yeah, he also said another Square rep. Huh. Still, he was pretty accurate overall.

Edited by Florete

Okay enough playing around time for some serious discussion.

Overall, it's a good day to be a Smash Bros. fan. I freaking KNEW Ken and Incineraor were going to fight each other if they had an animated trailer and they're both characters I really wanted to see in the game so I'm pretty happy about that. Then the direct slowed way down talking about things nobody need to hear out loud in between cool announcements for assist trophies and the like. But then we got World of Light and things got better again. Super excited for this game and super excited for all the content to come after launch. Between the game itself, DLC, and Online Service I'm going to go absolutely broke trying to get the full Smash experience, but I don't care because it's going to be awesome anyways.

2 minutes ago, Florete said:

Where did my hype go?

the drain

1 minute ago, Dai said:

Vergeben mentionedSteve and another Square rep, didn’t he? Or was that someone else?

I believe he did, the thing I've heard recently is that a lot of companies will spread false rumors to contradict other leaks that might have spilled out

You know what I just noticed, in the end, we've had seven nonEcho newcomers in the base game. And the poll up there asking how many more we expected has the most votes sitting at five (excluding Inkling and Daisy). Go with the gut feeling of the masses by the looks of it.

Poor Piranha. A great 'wtf' character thats getting crucified online for not being Isaac/Geno/Skull kid/other frequently asked character. I'd like any of those characters in, but I don't think Piranha Plant was a factor in them not getting in.

I just hope that the DLC is worthwhile and adds some of the characters I would want to play.

Ken is alright. Should be fun as a faster Ryu.

I. Hate. Incineroar. It's a stupid design for a boring Pokemon. Decidueye was the only correct answer for Gen 7.

Pirahna Plant... just... what the fuck. You're making Walluigi look like an unironically good pick here.

Just gonna leave this here

Dq7OBftVYAAIoHZ?format=jpg

Not saying you can't (because i personally don't care for worst Gen 7 starter Incineroar and Rex being 99% deconfirmed hurts) but all the Direct did was show even more content and yet some people are acting as if the Direct killed the hype for Ultimate or something.

23 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Elma doesn't need a moveset as good as Rex to get in, she needs a moveset that's far superior to Rex's to get in

I mean, that's entierly subjective. Both have potentials for very unique movesets, whoever has the better potential is subjective.

23 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Her game was released long before Ultimate began production.

Literally within the same year. Heck, X released overseas and Ultimate started development in the same month, meaing only Japan really knew Elma at the time.

I dunno man, i know you said you didn't mind if Elma got in but you're arguments just seem biased against her. Yes, Rex is the most recent protaganist, but as it stands right now, Elma has a higher chance.

Actually, can someone watch the Japanese Direct and tell us what Sakurai said during the Rex mii costume portion? As @Etrurian emperor said, Sakurai made it seem like there would be no XC2 characters playable but it could've been mistranslated.

Edited by Armagon

Some more thoughts after processing all this:

• I figure Pirahna Plant made it in because it took no time to make and people won't be heartbroken to miss him if they get the game late. I still woulda taken pretty much any character from anything over them.
  • Did we see any characters that are Spirits who are also playable? I'd assume Dry Bowser doesn't count in that regard. This might suggest characters that aren't screwed for DLC
  • Really hope Spirits and World of Light are multiplayer

Random DLC guesses:

• SE rep/Geno - Not shown as AT or Mii costume
  • Namco rep/Heihachi - Same as Geno
  • Resident Evil rep/Leon - Several RE games are coming to Switch next year
  • Elma (XCX) - I'm still surprised she didn't make it in
  • Other first party reps - FE, Zelda, Kid Icarus come to mind
Edited by Johann