Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

On 6/22/2018 at 12:49 PM, Altrosa said:

My conclusion with the ballot results is that the votes were why Ultimate has prioritized bringing old fighters back, since every fan poll done in that same time framw had Snake, Wolf, and the Ice Climbers in notable positions, and Smash 4 DLC brought back Mewtwo and Ness. (Poor Pichu, but Smash at least has the cutest of all joke fighters.)

As for King K. Rool, who seemingly scored very high, there is a possibility that some legal red tape is muddying up his inclusion, since he was a Rare creation, and Rare is under Microsoft's developer umbrella now.

Geno, another popular request, is in a similar situation with SquareEnix, except Cloud means his chances are improved.

I've been seeimg that the lead for Final Fantasy XIV is in talks with Nintendo about the possibility of making a Switch version of the game. Y'shtola for Smash Ultimate DLC.

Anything DKC related is still Nintendo's property. DK, Diddy, Dixie, King K. Rool, etc. Mario Super Sluggers for the Wii is a great example of this, having every character I listed and then some from DKC.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to CEO 2018 today. While i didn't play any tournaments, i did try out the Ultimate demo. Seeing the game is one thing but actually playing it is so much better. Line was pretty damn long so i only got to play it once (after we did, me and my friends checked out the rest of the venue and the Smash Ultimate lines started closing at 5) and it's definitely faster than Smash 4. I tried out Zelda and Ike, the former being one of my new mains exclusively because she's cute. Ike's sword swings are a lot faster. 

I also played on Great Plateau and Morray Towers. Great Plateau is a good stage but Morray Towers is not as fun as i thought it'd be. It's a worse Tomodachi Life stage with the platforms interrupting your attacks and there's one block near the bottom where you don't want to get caught under because you can very easily die because of it.

Also, i met ZeRo and got his autograph. Really happy about that.

10 hours ago, NoirCore said:

Anything DKC related is still Nintendo's property. DK, Diddy, Dixie, King K. Rool, etc. Mario Super Sluggers for the Wii is a great example of this, having every character I listed and then some from DKC.

Yet K. Rool hasn’t really been utilized lately, particularly in either of the two DKC games out in the past decade.

5 hours ago, Dai said:

Yet K. Rool hasn’t really been utilized lately, particularly in either of the two DKC games out in the past decade.

Point still stands that he's Nintendo's property. Dunno why they haven't utilized him, but he's there.

There’s a very interesting interview with Sakurai that was released:

https://sourcegaming.info/2018/07/02/smash_special_complete/

I strongly suggest reading because it explains a lot of things. And it seems Sakurai doesn’t resent Smash or feel chained to it. I’m actually pretty relieved by that, as I always wondered if Sakurai grew to resent Smash.

1 hour ago, Water Mage said:

There’s a very interesting interview with Sakurai that was released:

https://sourcegaming.info/2018/07/02/smash_special_complete/

I strongly suggest reading because it explains a lot of things. And it seems Sakurai doesn’t resent Smash or feel chained to it. I’m actually pretty relieved by that, as I always wondered if Sakurai grew to resent Smash.

This article does really show sakurai's mindset regarding sequels, I think that he sees the challenge of a new smash bros as beyond a typical sequel, my take away from this is that with smash bros he feels the need to beat his previous entry and that in turn means that he will have trouble producing a perfect formula to make a great smash bros, this is in contrast to kirby in which one could argue would not be hard to create a formula which would satisfy fans almost every time.

I'm looking forward to the game coming out, or at least...being closer to release date. It's a bit frustrating seeing everything filmed without direct feed.

11 minutes ago, Dai said:

I'm looking forward to the game coming out, or at least...being closer to release date. It's a bit frustrating seeing everything filmed without direct feed.

Expect more of this if it's at EVO sorry to say. (I'm gonna try to get some matches in if the demo is at EVO too).

I know they made it to where stage hazards are turned off, I just wish they would let moving platforms remain as moving platforms

edit: did the platforms ever move in the OG Pokemon stage?

Edited by Captain Karnage

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

More footage!

nice to see someone who has good taste in Ikes

Is it me or does this RD Ike look closer to his art in RD than smash 4? I am also really getting into the new stance, far less awkward than his stance in smash 4.

Link looks to be just as much a terror as ever, though his new bombs feel like they may not be quite as good in some ways, but better in others, may help pressure opponents more from going to certain areas of the stage, but it also seems like they may not be as good for general annoyance, but I guess that is what young link is for.

I actually prefer the stance Brawl and Smash 4 Ike used. He looks too relaxed in Smash Switch to me, which comes off as looking less seriously ready to fight. His previous idle stance looked more like he was seriously ready to kick butt. xP But it's not a big deal to me, I still love the way he's looking in this game so far. :P

1 hour ago, Carter said:

If someone sees any Zelda gameplay, could you please link it to me?? I'm so so so excited to play as her again!!

I'll link some later there's the Leffen matches with ZeRo and I believe Nairo had some, but I'm working atm.

18 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

This article does really show sakurai's mindset regarding sequels, I think that he sees the challenge of a new smash bros as beyond a typical sequel, my take away from this is that with smash bros he feels the need to beat his previous entry and that in turn means that he will have trouble producing a perfect formula to make a great smash bros, this is in contrast to kirby in which one could argue would not be hard to create a formula which would satisfy fans almost every time.

The line about having to ask the original creators if they're happy with certain characters probably only relates to third party characters, but it does strike me, I wonder what Kaga might have said about Marth's appearance in Smash.

Edited by Jotari

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

The line about having to ask the original creators if they're happy with certain characters probably only relates to third party characters, but it does strike me, I wonder what Kaga might have said about Marth's appearance in Smash.

"Why aren't you making this game for the Super Nintendo?"

Zelda seems to be  doing better than smash 4, it will be nice to see how things go when everyone has the game, I don't know how I feel about zelda's new jab though, it seems like it won't put as much pressure on the other person, seems like zelda will be more playable aggressively (Though that is about how the whole game seems to be, defensive play is more punished than in 4), it also seems like down throw to nair is not as good as it used to be, I don't think it was true in 4 either, also new phantom is way faster now so it will be nice to see how I can use it, I already heavily incorporate the phantom into my play style with zelda.

also, snake looks like he is going to be so much fun to screw around with, he will probably see as much use as zelda and robin for me.

People rag on changes to Snake's Down Smash and his butt, but I'm a little sad to see the old C4 go. Yes it should be made more clear to the players where it its. But I have a feeling they removed the butterfly C3 easter egg that randomly occurred. 

In general there was just so much love given to Snake's inclusion in Brawl. Sure they wanted to sell people on the upcoming MGS4, but that game's main theme was rearranged into a battle theme that sounds surprisingly good. Multiple music tracks from every Metal Gear game, even ones that didn't come to a Nintendo system. Metal Gear Rex, Ray, and Geckos all cameo in the Shadow Moses stage. The Luigi codec call references MGS2's bizarre plot elements. Getting the voice casts from Twin Snakes back for the codec calls in the first place. The only thing that really bugs me to this day is Snake's FSmash. Just looks dumb, and I don't recall having RPGs in the first game anyway. It was a stinger missile.

Interesting that they brought back Pit's Brawl Dark Pit alt. In Smash 4, the Dark Pit alt still had white wings.

Pit_Palette_(SSB4).png

Brawl pallets for comparison

Pit_Palette_(SSBB).png

Edited by Armagon