What FE game should be Reworked?

Guest Dreamyboi

10 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

And today we learned: FE4 is the Holy Grail of Fire Emblem. Don't touch it or you'll get slaughtered.
Add that to the list of things not to do /say in the Fire Emblem fanbase, the other being criticising the Royal Siblings and Azura in Fates, because everything bad in Fates is Corrin's fault. Or the writing's. But the Royals and Azura? They are sacred and untouchable and nothing is ever their fault.
Someone should make a topic about that, actually. Even if it is as a satirical joke.

More on topic: What I'd like changed in another FE1 or 3 remake would be that all your units can visit villages, not just Marth. Being basically forced to give him the Boots or else ramming the turn count up to insane levels is not exactly what I would call a reasonable choice. 

Actually it is more like, if I said, hey Corrin sucks let's remove him completely from the game and have no avatar.  Oh and there is no possible way to rework Corrin and an avatar character to work at all.  Thinking so is naive and foolish.  

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree with getting rid of the big maps in FE4 (if they do it's an instant no buy for me) but I agree with some people that they should add a lot more stuff to do in those maps and buff the non horse units.

5 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

I disagree with getting rid of the big maps in FE4 (if they do it's an instant no buy for me) but I agree with some people that they should add a lot more stuff to do in those maps and buff the non horse units.

Hey that is an actual discussion that can be had.  They can do a lot to improve things while retaining the epic giant maps.  

15 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

And today we learned: FE4 is the Holy Grail of Fire Emblem.

Yes, yes. The so-called "Holy Grail" that is in fact so tainted by evil, calling it the Holy Grail is a joke.

5 hours ago, Lewyn said:

Actually it is more like, if I said, hey Corrin sucks let's remove him completely from the game and have no avatar.  Oh and there is no possible way to rework Corrin and an avatar character to work at all.  Thinking so is naive and foolish.  

30 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Yes, yes. The so-called "Holy Grail" that is in fact so tainted by evil, calling it the Holy Grail is a joke.

I was just satirically exaggerating some things I noticed about the FE fanbase as a whole while making a reference to your discussion on FE4, nothing more.
I have never in my life played FE4 to make any kind of judgement about it.

Do people really hate a particular game in this series so much to spill such vitriol? Even the games I don't like very much I see some merit, and I can't say I genuinely hate any game. But that's just me. 

On topic, however, I do agree that Genealogy does need some refinement. While the large maps is one problem, I don't believe that their removal is wholly necessary to fix the game's poor pacing. One way to do this is to break the maps up by chapter events, but still on the large maps. For example, the Prologue can be divided into two chapters on the large map that has a break at the first castle. One way to look at it is to see PoR  Chapter 17, Day Breaks, although my proposal would allow all of the castle functions before each chapter, and use of the castles during the encounter. That way, the large maps can be preserved while streamlining the game's content and allowing the game to be played in more manageable chunks. 

Furthermore, large maps should not have so many empty spaces (content wise). If normal sized Fire Emblem maps get criticized for too little content, Genealogy has it the worst. Fill the map with events, conversations, and interesting encounters. Not everything as to be rush to the villages and maybe grab a castle. The content should be clear enough to get, and hints are always appreciated. 

Gameplay-wise, I'm less sure about how I'd like to see changes. Pursuit, for example, makes certain units just straight better than others. Yet, I prefer when nits have defined niches that make them worth using despite lacking brute fighting capability. In that way, I would prefer that the weaker Be diversified in the way Thracia is known for. Each character is largely defined by their skills and Prf weapons, making most characters have some viable reason to be used. I also believe that the weapons need to be more fairly balanced, because Every non-sword, non-wind, weapons kind of suck. 

The Love system also needs to be reworked, but it mostly just needs some transparency and a bit of speed up. Just add another screen to the stat menu, like the holy blood chart. Also, give each romance some story; like, at set romance values (100, 250, etc.) give the pair a conversation. It would add more characterization and give couples depth beyond stats. 

1 hour ago, The_Unabashed_Weeb said:

On topic, however, I do agree that Genealogy does need some refinement. While the large maps is one problem, I don't believe that their removal is wholly necessary to fix the game's poor pacing. One way to do this is to break the maps up by chapter events, but still on the large maps. For example, the Prologue can be divided into two chapters on the large map that has a break at the first castle. One way to look at it is to see PoR  Chapter 17, Day Breaks, although my proposal would allow all of the castle functions before each chapter, and use of the castles during the encounter. That way, the large maps can be preserved while streamlining the game's content and allowing the game to be played in more manageable chunks. 

I actually wouldn't mind this. I'd still prefer just making the maps smaller like that one example from FE7 but this is a good alternative.

1 hour ago, The_Unabashed_Weeb said:

Gameplay-wise, I'm less sure about how I'd like to see changes. Pursuit, for example, makes certain units just straight better than others.

If Pursuit must stay, why not just make it so it's easier to double. Non-Pursuit units can still double, but they need to have 5+ speed than the enemy like normal whereas Pursuit units only need 3+ speed.

Pursuit units would still be objectively better but not by such a large margin anymore.

In general, I'm not the biggest fan of remakes. It's a good way to bring older games to the West and give some of them a second chance as it were, but ultimately I vastly prefer getting a proper new product. I wouldn't want the game after FE16 to be a remake, for example. Maaaybe the one after that, but I'm not sure. 

At any rate, as things stand, I'd rather play FE1 than Binding Blade again. I think it's the least fun I've had with a Fire Emblem game due to a multitude of factors that have already been brought up. Ridiculous unit imbalance, ambush spawns, highly questionable map design with sometimes cryptic criteria to unlock the true ending, no variation in mission variety, oftentimes way too large maps, and chapter 21 which is my least favorite one in the series in terms of gameplay. The list goes on, and the story and cast have too little to them to carry the game. I can't say anything about Genealogy or Thracia, but this game really needs a makeover. 

If Fates is ever remade, I'd really love to be able to walk around in the My Castle in 3rd person view like in the SoV dungeons.

Also, if Awakening is remade, Anna should have a child that's also named Anna. Missed opportunity in my opinion

Edited by Arcphoenix

On 3/26/2018 at 3:44 AM, Arcphoenix said:

If Fates is ever remade, I'd really love to be able to walk around in the My Castle in 3rd person view like in the SoV dungeons.

Also, if Awakening is remade, Anna should have a child that's also named Anna. Missed opportunity in my opinion

Personally, I think Fates and Awakening are the worst options for remakes. Despite missed potential, they're still recent games and available in the west. I'd rather have something I couldn't own than fixing the errors in something I could.

15 hours ago, Mad-manakete said:

Personally, I think Fates and Awakening are the worst options for remakes. Despite missed potential, they're still recent games and available in the west. I'd rather have something I couldn't own than fixing the errors in something I could.

For today, for here and now, I agree. In 10-20 years, however, I see it as a possibility and look forward to it, as long a time it may be. Just looking far ahead.

In terms of what would be a good right now, I’d like a Geneology remake. I’ve always wanted to play it. I also hear it has some outdated systems, so it could really use one. Unlike others, I don't really want FE to go into M ratings as I like the series as it is now and tend to have aversions to M games. Granted, I also really wouldn’t want the story to be modified too much

Edited by Arcphoenix

On 3/21/2018 at 11:20 PM, Lewyn said:

Lol so changing the subject now?  I was referring specifically to those swamp maps not the Echoes game as a whole.  

Sorry you don't like big maps, but it is hilarious that you believe everyone thinks the same as you.  

Oh, I know. And I think it's laughable that you deigned to try to brand me a hypocrite just because I'm fine with two maps of swamp, which even combined, wouldn't take me half as long as it would to go through one chapter in Genealogy. Also, it ain't like the rest of the game practically invalidates foot units, like is the case in Genealogy, where foot units in general are devalued because they just cannot keep up. Heck, I see a lot of stuff about Dread Fighter - a foot class - being the best class in SoV.

I know not everyone would agree with me on Genealogy's maps. But nonetheless, I want something done so the game doesn't feel like a massive slog just to play.

I agree with the "Keep the big maps, rebalance the units, change the flow of the game and add more side objectives" part for FE4. 

It definitely needs reworking, but stripping the biggest part of its identity seems like a bad idea. The unique and cool thing about FE4 is that you're in a grand battle that literally spans the entirety of Jugdral. Fights last months and years in the narrative. 

I think there's a lot you can do without scrapping this and the "grand battle" feel of the giant maps. 

Edited by Slumber

I think the problem is less the big maps and more the positioning of units and Flat Terrain.

Let's take ch9 for example, as i played that one recently for a community playthrough:

after you finish Hannibal & Kido, there are only 2 Obstacles in your way to the next Castle, The Reinforcements from the Top and the Ballista spam. So you just have to wait/walk with nothing happening really. Not to mention facing these huge but weak unit blocks is also boring. 

Instead of unit blocks, Units should be placed more evenly through the map, and be more balanced so they feel like a threat. Also, change the Flat Terrain to make for more fun/non bland maps.

Another thing that FE4 fails at with the big maps is using them to their full Potential. Usually you are just locked to one Part of the map until you conquer a Castle, which makes the ''Big great Maps'' feel like just small maps tacked together. If they want the big maps to feel really big, we should be able to access the whole map from the start of the chapter, and you really have to fight on multipe fronts. See FE:W as an example for how to do big maps with multipe Castles.

I should be able to go an help the Allied Pegasi in Ch4, and get a reward if i am able to save em. And not just lockoed to the top while i watch, even though i have units who can go down and help. Add more Side Objectives to make use of the giant maps.

Make the maps feel really grand and not just small maps tacked together

Edited by Shrimperor

21 hours ago, Slumber said:

I agree with the "Keep the big maps, rebalance the units, change the flow of the game and add more side objectives" part for FE4. 

It definitely needs reworking, but stripping the biggest part of its identity seems like a bad idea. The unique and cool thing about FE4 is that you're in a grand battle that literally spans the entirety of Jugdral. Fights last months and years in the narrative. 

I think there's a lot you can do without scrapping this and the "grand battle" feel of the giant maps. 

Sure, it might hurt the game to take away the giant maps, but at the same time, the giant maps make the game so insanely sluggish. It gets even worse when you have terrain abuse and backtracking to deal with... and I feel that something worth calling a "grand battle" should keep me engaged, which Genealogy's maps fail to do. Hell, I dare say they only serve to make the game boring and flawed - well, even more flawed than it already is. There's not a shred of good that comes of it. I don't mind unique as long as unplayable doesn't result... and unfortunately, I think Genealogy crosses (or rather, takes a running leap over) the line into being outright unplayable.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia