Started Danganronpa (Beat 2, don't spoil Despair Girls or 3)

Jedi

So over the past 3 days i've gotten into a series that i've been meaning to get to for awhile, espcially considering their murder mystery nature, what I found was one of the most compelling VN's i've ever read, I don't read all THAT many but its one of my favorites from that genre almost hands down already. 

I've been rec'd this series like several times and years over, but seeing @MrStardustRicon stream part of the first game made me realize I should play it, and I was glad I did, I love the class trials and I love the characters, all the various gut punches, espcially chapters 2 and 4, along with several in 6, and 3 and... Ugh the whole game is so GOOD and I care so MUCH IT HURT. 

I also did a character sorter for 1 since i've beaten it and I apperently love my PAIN.

I've only played 2's prologue so far, so no telling me anything in that regard.

Also took some fun screens of 1 while I played it, http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rulybox64/screenshots/?appid=413410

Edited by Jedi

Glad you enjoyed the game. The DR series was always interesting with its unique class trials, murders, mysteries and executions. It can be flawed at times, but on the whole its very enjoyable.

I hope you enjoy Super Danganronpa 2. I'm not really a fan of the cast in this one, but everything else is pretty fun. Get ready for some mindfucks. 

Will you play Dangronpa: Ultra Despair Girls and Danganronpa V3 soon after you play SDR2? 

Just now, Flee Fleet! said:

Glad you enjoyed the game. The DR series was always interesting with its unique class trials, murders, mysteries and executions. It can be flawed at times, but on the whole its very enjoyable.

I hope you enjoy Super Danganronpa 2. I'm not really a fan of the cast in this one, but everything else is pretty fun. Get ready for some mindfucks. 

Will you play Dangronpa: Ultra Despair Girls and Danganronpa V3 soon after you play SDR2? 

I'll probably continue on with UDG and V3 when I get through 2, provided it gives me the same compelling stuff 1 did, which I don't doubt!

I like how involved the Trials are compared to Phoenix Wright.

Funnily enough, I also recently got into this, and I'm pretty much exactly where you're at in progression (though it took me much longer to beat 1 since my friends and I schedule to play together so they can hear my reactions). And I also like Sayaka the most in 1... I really like Byakuya though, and despise Yasuhiro, so the rest of the list is probably different for me.

Well, you’re in for wild ride, and this advice may sound meaningless but...don’t get attached. For the love of god don’t get attached to the characters.

Also, this series deals with themes and criticize things that other anime/manga and game hardly ever touch on. Which makes it really interesting in my opinion.

Edited by Water Mage

I think 2 was even better than 1. V3 was really interesting and did some cool things too! I didn't really care much for UDG though... Make sure to watch the Danganronpa 3 anime after you beat 2 (or 2 and UDG).

4 hours ago, Retyl said:

Man, I knew that you finished the game pretty quickly but only 3 days? Woah. Have fun with the other games. I'd like to see how you react to a certain thing in V3 : P

Are you planning on watching the Danganronpa 3 anime? It has an original story with  the characters from the first two games, if I recall correctly. I haven't seen it myself.

Hey man don't underestimate me when it comes to Murder Mystery stories haha. I'll see in terms of the anime, I have to ask people about it all. 

Ive also heard of a side story called Danganronpa IF

3 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Funnily enough, I also recently got into this, and I'm pretty much exactly where you're at in progression (though it took me much longer to beat 1 since my friends and I schedule to play together so they can hear my reactions). And I also like Sayaka the most in 1... I really like Byakuya though, and despise Yasuhiro, so the rest of the list is probably different for me.

I'd have Byakuya higher if he didn't do what he did in chapter 2, honestly that made him take a huge hit for me that he had to crawl his way out of near bottom from.

29 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Well, you’re in for wild ride, and this advice may sound meaningless but...don’t get attached. For the love of god don’t get attached to the characters.

Also, this series deals with themes and criticize things that other anime/manga and game hardly ever touch on. Which makes it really interesting in my opinion.

Too late, tears of despair have already fallen :p.

17 minutes ago, Logjam said:

I think 2 was even better than 1. V3 was really interesting and did some cool things too! I didn't really care much for UDG though... Make sure to watch the Danganronpa 3 anime after you beat 2 (or 2 and UDG).

I'm quite excited for 2 although I might be one of those weirdos who ends up liking 1 more, can't ever know. I tend to be an odd outlier sometimes in terms of overall series opinions.

After you beat two, watch Danganropa 3. Watch both the despair and hope arc. Do it like this:  hope episode 1 -> despair episode 1 -> hope episode 2 etc. The reason why you should do is because both anime aired at the same time. The episodes were tied to each other. For example one plot twist in hope arc would be explained in next episode of despair arc

6 hours ago, Jedi said:

I'll probably continue on with UDG and V3 when I get through 2, provided it gives me the same compelling stuff 1 did, which I don't doubt!

V3 and 2 is definitely enjoyable in terms of how DR1 one was, however UDG is well...an action adventure game. Its a fun game, but in terms of gameplay its totally different. Nevertheless, its worth a try, and you might like a certain character more than you did in DR1 :p . 

57 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I'm quite excited for 2 although I might be one of those weirdos who ends up liking 1 more, can't ever know. I tend to be an odd outlier sometimes in terms of overall series opinions.

Haha, same. I just like 1's cast and atmosphere more than 2's, I guess.

58 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I'll see in terms of the anime, I have to ask people about it all. 

Ive also heard of a side story called Danganronpa IF

There's actually two anime, one being DR3 and the other being an adaptation of the first DR game. The latter is unnecessary since you played the game, though you may want to watch the former if you want a conclusion for the "Hope Peaks" saga. 

Danganronpa IF is a side story that unlocks after you beat the SDR2, iirc. There's also some other side stories and light novels like Danganronpa Zero, Danganronpa Kirigiri, and Danganronpa Togami. Give them a read if you want to.

I discovered Danganronpa with the anime adaptation of teh first game. The anime itself wasn't very good, honnestly (that OP is pretty dope though), but the base material was strong enough to get interrested. 

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

Too late, tears of despair have already fallen :p.

And many more will fall qwq.

Or it may end being V3. I'm still not sure which one is my favourite yet, but V3 was quite interresting.

Oh yeah I saw this on discord that you played this! Hope you had an amazing time! It's a series that has become very dear to me. I hope you enjoy it! So you like Sayaka the most huh? A friend of mine feels the same way and will share your pain.

Danganronpa is an enjoyable series. While I haven't played it myself, I have been watching a Let's Play of it and I'm currently on V3.

I hope you have fun with the series and its despair inducing moments!

Dare I say, I didn't like the first game very much and although I've bought the first two as part of a package, it's quite unlikely that I will play the second now. 

I really thought this is something I would enjoy as I'm such a big fan of the Zero Escape & Ace Attorney series but the trials themselves, which are a series of silly and obnoxious minigames were not things I found fun. I also feel like I guessed what was going on too much before it was revealed. 

Edited by Vince777

8 hours ago, Vince777 said:

Dare I say, I didn't like the first game very much and although I've bought the first two as part of a package, it's quite unlikely that I will play the second now. 

I really thought this is something I would enjoy as I'm such a big fan of the Zero Escape & Ace Attorney series but the trials themselves, which are a series of silly and obnoxious minigames were not things I found fun. I also feel like I guessed what was going on too much before it was revealed. 

Honestly, the first Danganronpa really feels like a "baby's first murder mystery", but the second one really ups the ante on the murder mystery, containing one of my favorite murder cases in any media. Do give 2 a chance, but bear in mind the mini games still return in on it.

In any case, Jedi, I'm glad you have given the series a chance! It's one of my favorite visual novels in the market, and while it is true it is not the best and it does some things badly, it is also true that there is nothing quite like it. It's concept may exist in other games, but the way its executed, the atmosphere, the characters, the points of view and themes and music.... it all comes together in a very unique and zany package that has my heart on a grip. I love this series, and I'm glad you loved it too.

SDR2 is definitely a step up for me on everything, and V3 is my second fav (though not because this game is worse, but merely on nostalgia, I do think v3 is the best in the series but 2 is my personal fav). DR1 is my least fav because the murder mysteries were a little simple but its still not a bad game (UDG is above this game on my list), and it captured my heart as well with the characters and the overarching themes and atmosphere.

I hope you have a good time with 2!

Oh man, brings me memories of when I first stumbled upon Orenronen's legendary Let's Play of Danganronpa (I didn't think I'd ever get a PSP, so I just went ahead and watched it).

I remember absolutely loving the game, although in hindsight I can see issues with Danganronpa that don't sit that well with me. For example, while the characters are enjoyable (or, well, most of them are, imo) most don't have much of a personality other than anime stereotypes simplified into one-dimensional characters, save for a few exceptions. It also gets silly at times, especially at times when it should be more serious. I don't like it when a very tense trial or sad scene ends with Monokuma literally turning someone into canned food after a goofy execution cutscene, or when someone is goofing around merely a day after someone had been executed in a trial. It feels like a series that doesn't treat itself seriously and doesn't know how to balance its sillyness with seriousness.

The trials are amazing, even if the minigames pop up right in the middle of a discussion, especially so in DR2 since other participants take a more active stance during discussions than in DR1. Overall, I like it less than I did back then, but I still enjoy it to the point of looking forward to new titles.

17 hours ago, Vince777 said:

Danganronpa is too silly to really fit within the Zero Escape and Ace Attorney spectrum. Since each game has 12 characters, it's also hard to really write them well and make them more complex characters, which games like AA and ZE handle better. It's also more of a shounen Visual Novel than an adult VN.

It's a good series, but you're not here for the complex writing or deep stuff.

Edited by Rapier

1 hour ago, Rapier said:

Oh man, brings me memories of when I first stumbled upon Orenronen's legendary Let's Play of Danganronpa (I didn't think I'd ever get a PSP, so I just went ahead and watched it).

I remember absolutely loving the game, although in hindsight I can see issues with Danganronpa that don't sit that well with me. For example, while the characters are enjoyable (or, well, most of them are, imo) most don't have much of a personality other than anime stereotypes simplified into one-dimensional characters, save for a few exceptions. It also gets silly at times, especially at times when it should be more serious. I don't like it when a very tense trial or sad scene ends with Monokuma literally turning someone into canned food after a goofy execution cutscene, or when someone is goofing around merely a day after someone had been executed in a trial. It feels like a series that doesn't treat itself seriously and doesn't know how to balance its sillyness with seriousness.

The trials are amazing, even if the minigames pop up right in the middle of a discussion, especially so in DR2 since other participants take a more active stance during discussions than in DR1. Overall, I like it less than I did back then, but I still enjoy it to the point of looking forward to new titles.

Danganronpa is too silly to really fit within the Zero Escape and Ace Attorney spectrum. Since each game has 12 characters, it's also hard to really write them well and make them more complex characters, which games like AA and ZE handle better. It's also more of a shounen Visual Novel than an adult VN.

It's a good series, but you're not here for the complex writing or deep stuff.

The silliness is actually part of the appeal of the serie. You can't take anything seriously with Monokuma around, after all (the true star of the games,indeed).
And I personally find the sentence even more awfull and impactfull this way.

The characters being one-dimensional is openly mocked with them being Ultimate Students.

And with Zero Escape, it share the same "clever" attitude. We plays the game, but the game also plays with us. Playing with what we already knows, and what we think we knows. It's also what the Bravely Serie does btw.
I find that quite stimulating, honnestly.
I think playing through the games really adds something more than just watching the events unfold. It makes you more involved to begin with.

Hmm, you have Sakura at a high spot in your character rankings. Good taste!

Also, DR2 is probably my favorite of the franchise, the first game, while fun, has some big laws that tie it down, the third game is a mixed bag, having a lot of great ideas and doing some of them well but complying too much to a formula set by DR1 and 2.

Also, if you're interested, i recommend checking out youtuber Craftdwarf's analysis videos on each of the games after you finish them, they gave me a deeper appreciation to the mainline games and made my subsequent playthroughs more enjoyable. (Here's the one for DR1)

Edited by OakTree

Thanks for all the comments, I'm starting chapter 3 in DR2 now, and I have to say I love the character interactions in 2 more, but I think 1 has a stronger setting so far.

My heart has been busted again though thanks chapter 2.

11 hours ago, OakTree said:

Hmm, you have Sakura at a high spot in your character rankings. Good taste!

Also, DR2 is probably my favorite of the franchise, the first game, while fun, has some big laws that tie it down, the third game is a mixed bag, having a lot of great ideas and doing some of them well but complying too much to a formula set by DR1 and 2.

Also, if you're interested, i recommend checking out youtuber Craftdwarf's analysis videos on each of the games after you finish them, they gave me a deeper appreciation to the mainline games and made my subsequent playthroughs more enjoyable. (Here's the one for DR1)

That's not really fair about V3. 2 also follows 1 formula. Maybe even more actually.

Though, V3 may be less coherent than 2.

On chapter 4 of 2 already, gotta say the twists are pretty wild and the crimes are more involved. 

Chapter 4's investigation is kind of pissing me off though.

Edited by Jedi

Chapter 4 is pretty crazy, but I can't wait for you to hit chapter 5. I wont spoil it of course, but I'll just say that I couldn't pick my jaw off the ground at any time during that chapter and it's definitely my favorite.

Yeah, the weird investigation setting of Chapter 4 gave me a bit of a headache, myself. The story itself is decently interesting, and it's definitely stronger than Chapter 3.

But yeah, I agree with JimmyBeans. Chapter 5 is one of, if not my favorite chapter, in all the DR games.

On 4/1/2018 at 12:53 AM, Jedi said:

Thanks for all the comments, I'm starting chapter 3 in DR2 now, and I have to say I love the character interactions in 2 more, but I think 1 has a stronger setting so far.

My heart has been busted again though thanks chapter 2.

Yeah, I do think the cast in 2 is far more stronger, as well as the mysteries and murders and plot, but the setting took a big hit. There's nothing wrong with Jabberwock Island, but its certainly not Hope's Peak.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! You're almost at the end and it will be a doozy!