Rate the Unit, Day 92: Brave Ephraim & Brave Veronica

Shiki

14 hours ago, Charmeleonbrah said:

I know it's a day late, but I give Kagero a 7/10.  I have a +Atk IV one with Lethal Carrot+/Ardent Sacrifice/L&D 3/Desperation 3/Heavy Blade SS.  When in Desperation range, she can hit really hard and can ORKO some high defense enemies if she procs her special and has Lethal Carrot equipped.  The problem with Kagero is that she requires a lot of investment if you want to run that set.  She also can really not take a hit at all, which is a problem when a lot of enemies have Distant Counter.

Lyn: I give her a 6/10.  She's one of the most infuriating units I have.  I like Lyn, but she simply requires far too many primo/rare skills to be able to use well, and even with them Ayra is still better.  

Of course, I'm talking about the Sol Katti forge with Brazen Atk/Spd and Wrath.  It is so hard to make this build without being a whale since Wrath & Brazen are locked to 2 5-star exclusive units.

... Omae wa mou shindeiru.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my rating for both: 

• Lyn: Decent Attack at 44, excellent speed stat allowing her to double other units and prevent herself from being doubled, has mixed defenses allowing her to take both magical and physical hits, especially at a +Def since it's a super boon, Galeforce is an amazing skill for her to have right off the bat and with a refined Sol Katti, along with Brazen and Wrath, with the eventual Vantage SS, she's going to be a dangerous unit if given the correct special, only weaknesses with her is that she has a low HP stat, so she can only take few hits before going down, that and also the fact that a lot of the skills that she needs, namely Brazen Atk/Spd and Wrath are premium skills and are pretty hard to get, she also makes competition with other fast sword units in the game, still, she's the OG fast sword unit and if you have Lyn, build her up and she will own the place, rating of 7/10

• Chrom: Tying for the second highest attack stat in swords and third overall, Chrom is able to hit really hard, has a high enough defense stat to take a few physical hits and also a high HP stat to combine that, at a 3* and 4* rarity, Chrom is the easiest of the Falchion users to get and can be stronger if given the correct setup, with Aether as his special, dragon-slaying abilities, having access to Spectrum Bond upon refinement and Sealed Falchion, he can be a massive powerhouse when facing against green units and dragons, only problem with him is that he has a really low speed stat, even with a super boon in Speed he will be doubled by a lot of units, he also needs to one-shot dragons as they will be faster then him and will take him out due to his low resistance stat, he needs a lot of investment in his skills since he has a lot of defensive skills, Chrom is a strong unit and if you want to take down dragons real quick, he's the man for the job, giving him a 5.5/10 overall

Lyn: 6.60
Chrom: 6.75

Corrin, Fateful Princess

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
37/41/44
24/27/31
31/34/37
31/34/37
18/21/24

Base Skills:

Dark Breath+
( - )
Draconic Aura

( - )
Seal Res
Hone Atk

Azura, Lady of the Lake

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
33/36/40
28/31/34
30/33/36
18/21/24
24/28/31

Base Skills:

Sapphire Lance+
Sing
( - )

Speed+
( - )
Fortify Res

I haven't used Female Corrin enough to properly rate her, but Azura has been my dancer for a long time.

Even with all my time with Azura she's still a bit hard to rate. Dancer utility is amazing as always, but there are a lot more dancers so the competition is rising. I think i'll go with an 8.5. Most of it is because of her amazing dancing ability, but she does have some utility outside of dancing. She is far too frail to be a reliable combat unit, but her saphire lance, combined with her high speed and decent res means that she can kill red units on counter or tank a red mage when needed.

I'll have to abstain from Corrin. I've summoned her but haven't used her yet.

Azura: Dancer utility automatically makes her useful, at least a little bit. However, she has pretty bad defense and HP, with mediocre attack. Her resistance is okay and she's fast, but she'll have trouble knocking out most things, and green units will all annihilate her if she keeps her Sapphire Lance. However, as a dancer, her main function is support, but there's a few better options for that. 5/10

F! Corrin - No longer the fastest Manakete in the game, but at least the fastest among the blue options. Her physical bulk is also competitively high, matching M!Grima and surpassing that of Myrrh once you give her a refined weapon. Her attack is the second lowest among dragons but she can patch it with a superboon, giving her a very balanced statline not dissimilar to Nowi's. Her BST scoring is also a tier lower than most other dragon picks, including Nowi. Corrin's Res is quite low, and her speed can often come shy of avoiding doubles from optimized mages, so this is an exploitable weakness considering the Naga users already one shot her. Nowi is easier to use, and Ninian can dance, leaving Corrin with few reason to employ over the other options. Still a very meta-relevant unit and probably the best dragon to attempt the Dark Breath niche, assuming we don't count the dragons that come with their own incredible personal weapons. 7 out of 10. Her BST isn't high enough to pull a balanced statline, but dragons are probably the only units that appreciate balanced stats.

Azura - the first dancer we get to rate and I don't own her. Like PA!Azura, Lene and Olivia, She can score higher BST by taking the HP superboon, but it's less sensible than Ninian's niche Attack superboon. Flying Azura also has 150 BST natively as long as you avoid the HP superbane. Believe it or not, all dancers and singers have at least 33 Speed except for Shigure making Azura very average in this crucial stat. Her attack is the second highest among dancers, only losing to PA!Azura. I feel like both seasonal variants of Azura are superior to the original simply due to PA!Azura's personal weapon and New Year Azura's superior mobility and BST. Azura's points in attack just feel wasted and you may as well keep her on the sapphire lance in order to avoid getting ORKO by reds. 6.5 out of 10. This is probably the lowest I'll rate a dancer due to what they provide for you on a player phase oriented team. And dancers are also notoriously difficult to predict in Arena Defense as well.

Past Ratings

Spoiler
  1. Alfonse - 3
  2. Marth - 7
  3. Sharena - 3
  4. Jagen - 1
  5. Anna - 4.5
  6. Barst - 3
  7. Cain - 4
  8. Draug - 7.5
  9. Gordin - 5
  10. Jeorge - 5.5
  11. Abel - 5.5
  12. Linde - 9
  13. Minerva - Abstain
  14. Merric - 3.5
  15. Maria - 6
  16. Wrys - 3.5
  17. Ceada - Abstain
  18. Ogma - 4
  19. Catria - 4
  20. Est - 6
  21. Sheena - 6.5
  22. Cecilia - 4
  23. Clarine - 6.5
  24. Matthew - 4
  25. Palla - 2.5
  26. Roy -7
  27. Gwendolyn - 7.5
  28. Shanna - 4.5
  29. Bartre - 7
  30. Fae - 7.5
  31. Serra - 4
  32. Lissa - 2
  33. Tiki - 8
  34. Lilina - 7
  35. Florina - 1.5
  36. M!Robin - 3.5
  37. Hector - 8
  38. Raven - 8.5
  39. Gaius - 4 out of 10
  40. Virion - 3.5
  41. Raigh - 1.5
  42. Sophia - 3.5
  43. Sully -2.5
  44. Cordelia -7
  45. Hawkeye - 5.5
  46. Nino - 8
  47. Felicia - 6.5
  48. Jakob - 1
  49. Fir - 4
  50. Eliwood - 5.5
  51. Donnel - 3.5
  52. Nowi - 8.5
  53. Frederick - 6.5
  54. Cherche - 7.5
  55. Saizo - 4
  56. Kagero - 4.5
  57. Lyn - 7
  58. Chrom - 5
  59. F!Corrin - 7
  60. Azura - 6.5

Ratings I would change in retrospect: Gordin would be a 2.5, Linde would be 7. Nowi would be an 8. And I'd drop Matthew and Saizo to 3.5.

Edited by Glennstavos

Here's what I've got for both:

• F!Corrin: Has a high Speed stat, tying for the second highest among dragon units, she also sports the third highest defense stat as well, with her Speed, especially a boon, she's able to avoid doubles and double a lot of units, comes with Draconic Aura and Hone Attack from the get go, which are good on their own right and she's also the only unit with Dark Breath, allowing her to work as either an offensive unit or a support unit with the debuffs she can give, she isn't afraid of Falchions either unless it's Double Lion Alm, taking hits from them and if built correctly, she can take down almost anyone, though she has a few downsides, while Falchion is not her main problem, her main problem is her resistance, being the lowest among dragons and she can't take a hit from magic units, especially if they have Naga, Corrin will be defeated by Naga, more specifically Divine Naga, not only that, if we don't count Ninian, Corrin has the lowest attack stat among dragons so it will be hard for her to take down high resistance enemies, she does need some investments like Warding Breath and Aether, but if you need a fast and bulky dragon unit, she's the one for the job, give her a 6.5/10

• Azura: She has anything that is against any red unit, has a decent resistance stat to take magical hits from reds and has the speed to help as well, having Speed+3 helps on her speed and Fortify Res to boost ally's resistance, Sapphire Lance+ can help her against most red units out there since it boost the weapon triangle and because she's a Songstress, she can give her turn to one of her allies so that they can move away to safety or finish an opponent they couldn't finish before, her attack is also decent, having the second highest attack for dancers/singers along with PA!Shigure, this makes her a good offensive support unit, though her weapon can be her downside, unless she's given a different weapon, Green units will take her out in an instant, especially considering that both her defense and HP stat are very on the low side, she's mostly there to take down red units and even some red units can take Azura down if they have a higher attack stat, but even with these flaws, Azura is still one of the best dancers/singers out there and will sing a song of victory to us on the battlefield, she gets a 8/10

Corrin: 34/34 for speed/defense is amazing.  Her base 27 attack, not so much.  Normally, I'd give it a pass because she hits Res.  However, Lightning Breath+ is weaker than her innate Dark Breath, so her counters will be less threatening than normal.  Furthermore, her Res is pretty bad, so she doesn't want to tank mages.  Her ideal combat situation is to attack a unit that doesn't hit back very hard (or at all), debuff the enemy team, and then tank everything else.  While she can perform well in that niche, it's a somewhat outdated one (male Morgan does it better, and he's ranged).  If Dark Breath could evolve into something better than Grima's Truth, she'd be a lot more threatening.  5.5/10

Azura - The original 5* locked dancer.  Her innate Sapphire Lance turns her into a pretty good red counter.  Because she's a dancer, she's not as picky about her boon/bane (as long as she isn't -Spd, she's happy).  Being blue meant that running someone like Rein in the arena was a little tricker, though.  She's still solid, and I use her whenever I need a combination of utility and anti-red offense.  Amazing originally, but she doesn't offer quite as much as some of the newer dancers.  9/10

Edited by eclipse

Female Corrin

Spoiler

One of the lesser used of the early-Manaketes, lacking the raw power of... well, any of them, in favor of higher Speed and Defense on average.

Back then, that'd be understandable. Corrin, by no means, has the same damage potential as them, and before Breaths gained the ability to target the lowest of ranged foes defenses, her best bet was to pray her targets had low Resistance, which thank god most did. Her default Breath, as well, is kinda lackluster.

Times have changed, however. Dark Breath Forge is now a solid tanking Breath, inflicting Attack and Speed Smoke on the target and their allies while giving Corrin the now standard Ranged Piercing effect (that's how I'm going to refer to targeting the lowest defensive value). Corrin herself now has the potential to be one of the tankier Manaketes available, having a solid enough Speed stat to avoid doubles after the enemy has been smoked out, and having the defense to make physical units do low damage. Lightning Breath, the understandably common option, also lets her take on Bows better than some other Manaketes with her solid Speed and Defense. This is even further improved, now that Fortify Dragons is a far more available skill.

Unfortunately, her underuse is easy to understand. Her below-average attack is, comparably, far worse than the other Manaketes in the game, among those who have been available since the start. Where the other Manaketes simply have the power to OHKO their targets on counterattack, Corrin needs to do two hits, which unfortunately her Speed isn't quite high enough to accomplish. One might think "Just Speed Boon her, she has 37 base with a Speed boon", but Corrin is a case of "she NEEDS an Attack boon to do any meaningful damage", unlike other Manaketes who are slightly more fair in their nature choice.

Another detriment for Corrin is her Resistance. Base of 21 means that she takes a LOT of damage from magic foes, including fellow Manaketes. Most Mages also opt to be as fast as possible, which can have a disastrous effect on Corrin if she has no means of lowering their Speed.

While Corrin has the POTENTIAL to be a good Manakete, her biggest flaw is that she has to be compared to Nowi, who has greater raw power with better Resistance and just as good Defense as Corrin. Not saying Corrin can't be good, but Nowi is simply considered Better in many ways.

Rating: 6.5/10 Has the potential to be a solid wall, but has to face offensive competition from Nowi. Her below-average attack leaves her unable to do the same damage.

Azura

Spoiler

As a Dancer... well, Singer but whatever... Azura comes out of the summoning stone already pretty solid.

Dancers usually don't want to see combat anyways, but if they do, they have below stellar Attack and Defensive ability. Usually their best feature is their Speed, which unfortunately not many dancers have-

Oh wait, Azura comes, by default, with the Sapphire Lance and Speed +3? Well, nevermind then, she's already fine.

Azura is also more offensively gifted than other dancers, with her only competition being... quite frankly, herself and herself in a kimono. The higher Speed most dancers are known for pairs well with her also above-average-for-a-dancer Attack stat. Her Resistance and Defense are both not the best, with her Defense being low and her Resistance okay, and her HP is that of a glass cannon.

Fortunately, having natural access to the Sapphire Lance lets her pick her battles from the start, only going against Reds and doing the same good job as any other unit would. Optionally, she can also go for Distant Counter to expand that to Red Mages and (possibly) Red Bows.

Though that's all fine and good, but you'd want to keep her out of combat either way. No matter how good the Sapphire Lance is for picking and choosing battles, Azura is still as defensive as a handful of dry noodles; Strong if trying to break the wrong way, weak when broken the right. Neutral matchups are also not good for Azura, since they aren't effected by the TA3 effect and simply power through Azura's now weak defenses.

All in all, Azura is a great dancer among dancers, but she is still a dancer. Treat her right, and maybe she won't disappear on you suddenly. Treat her wrong, and like the waves, she dies down.

Rating: 7.5/10 Her stat spread is great for a dancer, but she is still a dancer, and her frailty without the Sapphire Lance doesn't let her be as great an offensive unit as a normal unit. Generally speaking, you'd not want her in combat anyways.

F!Corrin. She has a physical tank spread with good Spd/Def, bad Atk and terrible Res. As a dragon her Atk doesn't concern her much as she's able to target the generally lower Res stat of melee units and the lower of Def or Res against ranged units. Her good Def lets her abuse powerful specials like Ignis and Bonfire and her default Dark Breath allows her to be a pretty powerful debuffer. That's about it though, she lacks the bonus BST and flexibility that Nowi offers and considering that both are equally common there's no reason to use her over Nowi outside of favoritism (or hate for Nowi). As a dragon she's still quite powerful but her low Res and average Hp make her an easy target for mages/other dragons. 

Rating: 7.5/10

Azura. Being a dancer is both a boon and a curse. Her utility is only rivaled by other dancers with a better class than her but she makes up for this by having an actual combat spread which allows her to face red units if she needs to and thanks to her default Sapphire Lance she's a bit more sturdy than one would initially believe. The main downfall of dancers is their low BST which makes them less appealing in the long run if one wishes to stay on top of the arena, while this has little to do with their stellar performance as units it is something to consider if one wishes to stay in higher tiers. 

Rating: 8/10

Corrin

• Physically bulky stat line featuring good Def and Spd, low Res, and poor Atk.
    • Low Atk hurts her player phase presence, and her Spd is not quite high enough to safely double the faster red threats.
    • Strong red, passable blue matchups on defense with a Steady Breath set. She is held back by two things: her low Atk harms her KO power over blues, and her low Res allows a good deal of blue and even some red mages to double and KO her. She does wall non-Falchion swords very effectively, however, especially when using Guard.
  • As a dragon unit, she can run a dragon field or combat buff to support her team.

Overall, I give her 6.5 for combat (strong red, passable blue matchups on defense), and 1 for support (dragon field/combat buff), for a total rating of 6/10.

Azura

• Carries a stat line with a light offense focus, with decent Spd and Res, mediocre Atk and poor Def.
    • Her lower offensive stat line hurts her Player Phase matchups, and she is generally better of using the Player Phase to Sing for her allies.
    • She's honestly best off as a red check with her natural Sapphire Lance, and has a solid Spd stat that allows her to avoid many natural doubles (but will need some support for faster foes such as Ayra). Incidentally, she also has fairly strong red and passable blue matchups on the enemy phase with a Tannenboom!+/DC/QR seal kit. I would prefer to keep my current trend of using generalized sets for unit rating, so I will use this as the basis for her combat performance score.
  • Stellar support option through Sing. Has some ploy capability with her decent Res stat, and can provide some buff support through her B Passive slot, if she isn't using it for something else (ex. Wings of Mercy). She can also carry the usual C Passive/Seal field/combat buff for further support.

Overall, I give her 6.5 for combat (fairly strong red, passable blue matchups on defense with a Tannenboom!+ set), 3 for support (Sing support, some ploy capability, field/combat buff through C and/or B Passive slots), and +1 bonus point for having Sing utility, for a total rating of 8/10.

~

Scoring method:

Spoiler

Units are evaluated based on both their combat performance and their team support capabilities (i.e. their whole contribution to a team).

• Combat performance is judged by matchups, especially against enemies that are at triangle disadvantage or neutral to the unit. Performance against more relevant meta threats is more valuable than performance against units that are rarely seen. Triangle Adept sets are not considered, though they might be noted. Scale of 0 to 10.
    • Sustainability and filling a useful niche are given small bonuses, when applicable.
    • I will look at least one PP-focused and one EP-focused skill set for each unit, but only evaluate based on performance for whichever phase I deem the unit to be stronger on.
  • Support capabilities are decided by how much support a unit can provide (without horribly compromising their combat capabilities), and how valuable I feel that support is. Scale of 0 to 3.
  • At the end, the combat and support scores will be weighted (with a heavy focus on combat performance), combined, and rounded to the nearest .5 to obtain the total rating. Dancers and Singers will get +1 point to their total rating (not to exceed 10), because I value Dance/Sing utility highly.

This method of evaluation essentially compares each unit to a hypothetical "god unit" who is stellar at everything, instead of each unit to each other.

All my ratings.

I am kind of tired, so I think I will just do Azura for now since I like Dancers/Singers more.

Intuitively, I want to give Azura at least a 7, simply due to how good Dance/Sing is. However, that requires going over the limit on either the support criterion or the other criterion, and it does not seem like an elegant way of doing it. I think this is something beyond just simply tweaking the weighting system.

Maybe I should just rate things intuitively like most players here (but what about melee units where I have little to no experience and have a huge bias against)? Maybe do both and give an average between the intuitive rating and the formulaic rating? Should I consider going over the limit like giving 11/10 on a criterion to preserve the weighting system? Maybe I should also embrace subjectivity by finding the median rating of the posters above me and then average that with my intuitive rating and formulaic rating (this sounds like way too much work though)?

So many questions to sleep on. Maybe I will steal @LordFrigid's and @SatsumaFSoysoy's idea on judging a unit's performance based more on the Weapon triangle or a specific type of enemies rather than all enemies. It seems like my current system judges niche units too harshly.

I abstain my vote on Azura.

Here is how my criteria are rated:

Spoiler

Mobility:
Armor units are 0/10. Infantry units are 5/10. Cavalry units are 8/10. Flying units are 9/10. Units with unique mobility skills will bump up their score.
Range:
Melee units are 0/10. Distant Counter Weapon melee units are 5/10. Ranged units are 10/10.
Player Phase Raw Performance:
This is based on the W:L:I ratio. Enemies will have a set up of +5, +Spd, Moonbow, and Fury. The unit will be +0, may not use Breakers, and will not have Chills or Ploys activate. Units may have access to buffs (usually, +4 to any two stats for infantry and armors, and 6/6/0/0 or 0/0/6/6 for cavalry and fliers). I would also list the build used to achieve that ratio. I think the following formula is pretty reasonable:
(W%) - (L%*0.25) = Raw Performance
Player Phase Weighted Performance:
Since most units can get a raw performance score of at least 5, setting 5 as 0 for the weighted performance makes more sense in judging how good a unit is.
(Raw Performance - 5) * 2 = Weighted Performance
Player Phase Independence:
This just means how reliant the unit is on buffs. If I take off the buffs and the unit still performs pretty well, they will get a good score. The formula is that same as the raw performance:
(W%) - (L%*0.25) = Independence
Enemy Phase Raw Performance:
See Above.
Enemy Phase Weighted Performance:
See Above.
Enemy Phase Independence:
See Above.
Ease of Use:
This is an average of the mobility and range scores.
Performance:
This consolidates the weighted performance and independence scores into one score, and uses the higher of Player Phase or Enemy Phase. This also means that the build used in weighted performance may not necessarily be their best build, since there may be an alternative build with a slightly worse performance but have much higher independence.
(Weighted Performance * 0.8) + (Raw Performance * 0.1) + (Independence * 0.1) = Performance
Support:
Most units by default will be 0/10. Units with 30+ Res start from 1/10. Dagger units start from 1/10. Healers start from 2/10. Buffers start from 3/10. Fliers start from 4/10. Dancers/Singers start from 5/10. Other unique support skills may further boost their score.
Other:
If the unit has some unique application or fun build, it will be noted here. For example, since Raven mages have a performance penalty, they will get some extra points here for being relevant and viable in certain team compositions.

Familiarity/Experience:
This just means how familiar I am with this particular unit or type of unit in Arena. If it is a low number, that means you should take the following rating number with a grain of salt since I do not have much experience with this particular unit and/or type of unit.
Rating:
The rating is how good I think a unit is. Here is how I weigh each criterion:
Ease of Use 4/10
Performance: 5/10
Support: 1/10
Other: If the unit got some unique application or fun build, they will get a boost to their rating.

Ease of Use 3/10
Performance: 6/10
Other: If the unit got some unique application or fun build, they will get a boost to their rating.

Ease of Use 2/10
Performance: 7/10

Notes:
1. A unit's build in raw performance will not take into account a unit's support build, Raven build, or any other builds. Likewise, a unit's ease of use, support, and other criteria will not take into account the unit's raw performance build.
2. Since healers' Firesweep build [+Atk, Pain [Dazzling Staff], Attack +3, Wrathful Staff, Attack +3] requires the user to do two rounds of combat to measure how good it is, that overwhelmingly skews the combat results for healers, so I decided to tone down their performance by using Brazen Atk/Spd-Desperation and taking away 10 HP or 25% of max HP, which ever is greater.
3. The build used in raw/weighted performance might not be the build with the best score. If there is an alternative build with a slightly less performance but much higher independence, that build will be used instead.
4. Axe and dagger versions of Wo Dao are not available in the regular summoning pool yet, but I think they will be added in the future, so I am using Giant Spoon and Lethal Carrot.

Disclosures:
I have a strong bias for non-armor Player Phase ranged units. My experience with melee and armor units in Arena is pretty minimal, so my rating for them is mostly based on theory. My Arena core consists of BH!Lyn, Reinhardt, and Olivia. I am usually in Tier 20, but I may drop to Tier 19 if I do not fish for points.

Other:

Spoiler

Template

— — — — — — — ◆Red◆ — — — — — — —
— — — — — — — ◾Blue◾ — — — — — — —
— — — — — — — ⬟Green⬟ — — — — — — —
— — — — — — — ●Colorless● — — — — — — —

Mobility: /10
Range: /10
Player Phase Raw Performance: /10 — #:#:#
Player Phase Weighted Performance: /10
Player Phase Independence: /10 — #:#:#
[+Boon, -Bane, Weapon, Special, A, B, Sacred Seal, #/#/#/#]
Enemy Phase Raw Performance: /10 — #:#:#
Enemy Phase Weighted Performance: /10
Enemy Phase Independence: /10 — #:#:#

Ease of Use: /10
Performance: /10
Support: /10
Other: /10

Familiarity/Experience: /10
Rating: /10

Summary:

_______ got bad/okay/good/stellar combat performance.

She/He can the support the team with Ploys.

She/He can support the team with daggers/Light Breath and Dark Breath.

She/He is a great mobility support unit as a flier.

She/He can also run Firesweep-Hit and Run as a flier unit.

She/He can run a Firesweep-Poison Strike-Poison Strike.

She/He can run Wrathful Staff-Dazzling Staff to emulate Firesweep archers.

She/He can run a Raven set.

— — — — — — — ◆Red◆ — — — — — — —
— — — — — — — ◾Blue◾ — — — — — — —
— — — — — — — ⬟Green⬟ — — — — — — —
— — — — — — — ●Colorless● — — — — — — —

Mobility: /10
Range: /10
Player Phase Raw Performance: /10 — #:#:#
Player Phase Weighted Performance: /10
Player Phase Independence: /10 — #:#:#
Enemy Phase Raw Performance: /10 — #:#:#
Enemy Phase Weighted Performance: /10
Enemy Phase Independence: /10 — #:#:#

Ease of Use: /10
Performance: /10
Support: /10
Other: /10

Familiarity/Experience: /10
Rating: /10

Summary:

_______ got bad/okay/good/stellar combat performance.

She/He can the support the team with Ploys.

She/He can support the team with daggers/Light Breath and Dark Breath.

She/He is a great mobility support unit as a flier.

She/He can also run Firesweep-Hit and Run as a flier unit.

She/He can run a Firesweep-Poison Strike-Poison Strike.

She/He can run Wrathful Staff-Dazzling Staff to emulate Firesweep archers.

She/He can run a Raven set.

— — — — — — — ◾Azura◾ — — — — — — —

Mobility: 5/10
Range: 0/10
Player Phase Raw Performance: 6.86/10 — 185:43:26
Player Phase Weighted Performance: 3.72/10
Player Phase Independence: 5.53/10 — 157:33:61
[+Atk, -Res, Brave Lance, Moonbow, Death Blow, Guard, Quickened Pulse, 4/4/0/0]
Enemy Phase Raw Performance: 6.85/10 — 180:24:50
Enemy Phase Weighted Performance: 3.7/10
Enemy Phase Independence: 4.48/10 — 128:57:69
[+Spd, -Res, Harmonic Lance [Spd], Moonbow, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte, Close Def, 4/4/0/0]

Ease of Use: 2.5/10
Performance: 4.22/10
Support: 5/10
Other: 0/10

Familiarity/Experience: 10/10
Rating: 3.5 - 4 - 4 /10
Rating: 5.5 - 6 - 6 /10

Ease of Use: 2.5/10
Performance: 4.22/10
Support: 30/10
Other: 0/10

Familiarity/Experience: 10/10
Rating: 6 - 6 - 6.5 /10
Rating: 8 - 8 - 8.5 /10

Summary:

Azura got okay combat performance. She is a Singer, so she is pretty awesome if you are using a Player Phase team.

Female Corrin: The dragon that really needed a prf, not both Tikis, if you ask me. This sentence will already give you an idea on Corrin's performance. Has a low neutral attack value of 27, but it has a super boon which you can work off of. Good speed of 34, which I recommend getting a boon for as speed is one of the very few aspect that Nowi doesn't beat her in. Her defense is better than Nowi's and it's quite good, but Nowi is a better tank in the sense she can take on the role as a mixed tank while Corrin will have more trouble doing that. Her res is extremely below average so no ploys and her hp isn't that great for support skills. Runs windsweep builds well
7: Is a unit that outright loses to her competition, but performs better than them in a niche role. The only reason why you would use her over other blue dragons is because her speed is better and is good enough for windsweep builds. The good: good speed and def, performs windsweep builds well, support utility, res is often a bane for physical melee units. The bad: low attack value, heavy competition among blue dragons, dragon weakness, windsweep prevents her from doubling during player phase, windsweep does not affect weapons which target res, windsweep might not always proc

Azura: Being a dancer should tell you enough what she'll be used for. She's got good enough res to run ploys for supports and can even run DC if you want to. Her physical bulk is quite bad. You're not really gonna use a support unit like her for combat against the same color so TA or Sapphire Lance is a good offensive option if you want her to put effort into supporting your allies via combat. Will have poor combat ability against fellow lance users since her attack value is quite low. Her neutral speed is a good 33. Arena scoring isn't calculated for these builds, but I think it should be mentioned that if you want to score better with her in arena then I suggest taking the hp boon as it is a superboon that'll taker her up to 150 BST
7: Is a support unit so don't expect her to go toe to toe with the meta units unless she's got color advantage with TA. The good: dancer utility, good magical bulk, good ploy user, will most likely be a red check, good spd. The bad: Bad physical bulk, low attack, will die to greens if running TA or Sapphire Lance

Edited by silveraura25

I run female Corrin on my Team Overdrive which is all about using Drives. Corrin, in turn, uses Light Breath and I'm planning for her to use Double Smoke (Atk/Spd). With the insane combat buffs both Sanaki and Marth can provide, together with her support partner (currently Julia, will hopefully be Marth later provided I get Bridaki), and Sturdy Stance, she can under the right conditions get +17 Atk, +7 Spd, +14 Def, and +4 Res. Slap on Light Breath buffs and the Smoke debuffs during the enemy phase if more than one person attack her and she becomes very hard to take down.

It's not always easy to pull off, of course, but it's damn satisfying when you do. I realize Corrin isn't the best dragon, but I really like using this team and Corrin has proven to be its center. 

Hoping for a good refine though, for sure. Something to patch up either that Attack or Resistance would be swell.

Edited by Thane

Corrin: 6.57
Azura: 7.50

Gunter, Inveterate Soldier

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
39/43/46
28/32/35
21/24/27
29/33/36
14/18/21

Base Skills:

Silver Axe+
Harsh Command
( - )

Armored Blow
( - )
Hone Cavalry

Camilla, Bewitching Beauty

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
34/37/41
26/30/33
29/32/35
24/28/31
28/31/34

Base Skills:

Carmilla's Axe ( If unit is within 2 spaces of a cavalry or flying ally, grants Atk/Spd +4 during combat. )
( - )
Draconic Aura

Darting Blow
( - )
Savage Blow

Edited by The Priest

Gunter - What Gunter lacks in stats he makes up for in his voice actor. Gunter is soundly defeated by Frederick in every category except for Res. He has a superbane in every stat except for his speed which is not salvageable anyway. Taking any of those superbanes will drop him another BST tier. Gunter is bottom of his class but his stat distribution is somewhat sensible. The Slaying Axe improves his frontline capabilities to a point where he can be a less impressive Frederick. One of these days we'll get an axe cav that's more impressive than either of those characters. Probably Walhart. 3 out of 10. I can think of one worse axe unit in this meta and his name rhymes with Marthur

Camilla - I was hoping she'd get a dragon slaying axe since her stat distribution would be excellent for it. The weapon she did get doesn't excite me. She gains a goad buff near flying or cavalry allies and can provide a weaker goad buff to them in return. On a flier team I think Camilla's greatest competition are New Year Azura, Minerva and Cherche for the green slot. Can stackable buffs compete with Cherche's bulk, Minerva's offense or Azura's dance support? Hinoka's spear is better. Movement perks are more competitively useful than just a weak Goad buff and how often do you mix fliers and cavs anyway? 5.5 out of 10.

Past Ratings

Spoiler
  1. Alfonse - 3
  2. Marth - 7
  3. Sharena - 3
  4. Jagen - 1
  5. Anna - 4.5
  6. Barst - 3
  7. Cain - 4
  8. Draug - 7.5
  9. Gordin - 5
  10. Jeorge - 5.5
  11. Abel - 5.5
  12. Linde - 9
  13. Minerva - Abstain
  14. Merric - 3.5
  15. Maria - 6
  16. Wrys - 3.5
  17. Ceada - Abstain
  18. Ogma - 4
  19. Catria - 4
  20. Est - 6
  21. Sheena - 6.5
  22. Cecilia - 4
  23. Clarine - 6.5
  24. Matthew - 4
  25. Palla - 2.5
  26. Roy -7
  27. Gwendolyn - 7.5
  28. Shanna - 4.5
  29. Bartre - 7
  30. Fae - 7.5
  31. Serra - 4
  32. Lissa - 2
  33. Tiki - 8
  34. Lilina - 7
  35. Florina - 1.5
  36. M!Robin - 3.5
  37. Hector - 8
  38. Raven - 8.5
  39. Gaius - 4 out of 10
  40. Virion - 3.5
  41. Raigh - 1.5
  42. Sophia - 3.5
  43. Sully -2.5
  44. Cordelia -7
  45. Hawkeye - 5.5
  46. Nino - 8
  47. Felicia - 6.5
  48. Jakob - 1
  49. Fir - 4
  50. Eliwood - 5.5
  51. Donnel - 3.5
  52. Nowi - 8.5
  53. Frederick - 6.5
  54. Cherche - 7.5
  55. Saizo - 4
  56. Kagero - 4.5
  57. Lyn - 7
  58. Chrom - 5
  59. F!Corrin - 7
  60. Azura - 6.5
  61. Gunter - 3
  62. Camilla - 5.5

Ratings I would change in retrospect: Gordin would be a 2.5, Linde would be 7. Nowi would be an 8. And I'd drop Matthew and Saizo to 3.5.

Edited by Glennstavos

3 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

One of these days we'll get an axe cav that's more impressive than either of those characters. Probably Walhart.

It's gotta be Kieran too, imo!

But yeah, Gunter's just a bad Frederick. lol I think he gets hit with what people call the old person curse? Because it seems like Gunter and Jagen have lower BST than even other horses. I agree with a 3/10 on this guy.

I don't really know anything about Camilla, so I can't rate her.

Gunter: He is just... Him. He is outclassed at everything except resistance by Frederick. None of his stats are at least salvageable. One of the worst heroes of the game, at least he got IV's and merges.

Camilla: She is a good, "Jack of all trades, master of none" unit. Her good speed, defense and resistance allows her to tank dragons and melee hits as well. Before her refinement she was considered a "normal" unit for both mixed and fliers team composition, commonly using a Slaying Axe or Slaying Hammer for smashing those Hectors or Grimas. When her personal weapon came in, however, she began having a new live, specially in mixed teams. Her new personal weapon allows her to be a real Wyvern General, allowing her to support cavalry and flier allies whilst having a Swift Sparrow effect in her weapon when near these. But even then, her offensive stats are only of 50/36 in attack and speed. She commonly uses Fury to further augment this while boosting her defenses, making her a good duelist unit.

My review for these characters: 

• Gunter: The only good things going for him is that he has a respectable attack stat, getting him to 47 at a 5* rarity and has enough HP and defense to take hits from some red units, with Armored Blow he can make his defense higher, the only other selling point for him is that as of this post, he's the only unit with Hone Calvary, making him very valuable for SI foddering, unfortunately, that's all there is to it, he's pretty slow and will be doubled by a lot of units and he will be destroyed by a lot of magic units, even blue units will be able to take him out since most mages are faster than him, you can use him, but you need to heavily invest on him to be a god tier, even then, there's no saving Gunter from being low tier, sorry Gunter lovers, but he gets 3/10

• Camilla: Being the third fastest Axe Flier, she's able to double a lot of units in her path, has Brave Axe right off the bat and now with refinement options with her axe, she can now work on both flier and horse teams by giving them and herself a speed and attack boost, having Savage Blow to chip down enemy HP and Darting Blow to increase the chances of doubling are pretty good, she also surprisingly works against blue mages with her magic stat, Draconic Aura is a powerful special on her, and can be decent on taking physical hits from lancers, with the correct investment, she's one good axe flier, the only downsides are that she needs to have buffs to be able to take down her enemies due to her low attack stat, her HP is also not the best at all, not a good idea for her to be taking too many hits, and there's the usual weaknesses to bows and Excalibur, still, if you want a fast and magic resistant axe flier, she's the one for the job, she gets 5.5/10

Gunter. He has a decent stat spread unlike Jagen which makes him work as a physical tank or use a Brave Axe adequately, that's about it though. The Veteran+Cavalry penalties makes him inferior to every other axe in the game, he can use Horse buffs to perform decently but it's not like he'll be able to go far in arena with that BST. 

Rating: 2.5/10

Camilla. She has a balanced spread with an emphasis on Spd and Res. This allows her to be a great user of Distant Counter on a flier team, although her slightly below average Def means that she's going to be in trouble facing archers even with the Iote's Shield seal. Her Prf weapon Camilla's Axe allows her to be an incredibly offensive prescence on Flier and Flier/Horse teams due to the +4 Atk/Spd she recieves by being close to at least one ally of that type of movement while also granting +3 Atk/Spd to said ally in order to keep the damage going. Her balanced spread means that outside of those teams she'll face a lot of competition from more independent units like Cherche and Minerva. If you play to her strenghts Camilla will prove a powerful asset but outside of those she's a bit mediocre outside of her above average Res. 

Rating: 6/10

Gunter

• Physical stat line, featuring decent Def, mediocre Atk, low Spd, and very poor Res.
    • Strong blue, mediocre green matchups with an Atk-stacking Brave Axe set when Hone Cavalry is active. He runs into trouble against high-Def greens, however.
    • Strong blue, mediocre green 1-range matchups with a Handbell+/Close Def-stack set on the enemy phase when Hone Cavalry is active. He can opt for a Slaying Axe instead for a guaranteed Bonfire activation, but he appreciates the bonus stats from the Handbell+ (mostly Atk and Def), and is still pretty double-able. His poor Res hurts his matchups against dragon foes, and prevents him from using a Distant Counter set effectively.
  • As a cavalry unit, he can run a cavalry field or combat buff in his C Passive slot. He has some Panic Ploy capability with his decent HP stat.

Overall, I give him 6 for combat (strong blue, mediocre green matchups on offense), and 1 for support (cavalry field/combat buff), for a total rating of 5.5/10.

Camilla

• Balanced and mediocre stat line, featuring decent Res and Def, mediocre Spd, and low Atk.
    • Camilla's Axe (Atk/Spd+4 when within 2 spaces of a cavalry or flying ally) gives her mediocre offenses a much-needed bump, improving her combat. The effect refinement (Atk/Spd+3 to cavalry or flying allies within 2 spaces) is a very powerful support option that has great synergy with a Goad Fliers Team, allowing her to provide a sizeable Atk/Spd+7 to her allies.
    • Strong blue, decent green matchups on offense running Camilla's Axe/Swift Sparrow when Hone Fliers is active. Unfortunately, her green matchups fall off quite a bit without a) a Moonbow activation or b) a Def Ploy debuff on enemies (which she is fairly capable of providing).
    • Strong blue, mediocre green matchups on defense running a Camilla's Axe/DC set with Hone Fliers active. She is harmed by the fact that her defenses are not very tanking-optimized, and she has a weakness to flier-effective bows.
  • Camilla's Axe (Eff) is a great support option, providing nearly an entire Goad stack to allied flier or cavalry units. As a flier unit, she can run a flier field or combat buff in her C Passive slot. She also has some ploy capability with her decent Res.

Overall, I give her 7 for combat (strong blue, decent green matchups on offense), and 3 for support (Camilla's Axe, flier field/combat buff, ploy capability), for a total rating of 7.5/10.

~

Scoring method:

Spoiler

Units are evaluated based on both their combat performance and their team support capabilities (i.e. their whole contribution to a team).

• Combat performance is judged by matchups, especially against enemies that are at triangle disadvantage or neutral to the unit. Performance against more relevant meta threats is more valuable than performance against units that are rarely seen. Triangle Adept sets are not considered, though they might be noted. Scale of 0 to 10.
    • Sustainability and filling a useful niche are given small bonuses, when applicable.
    • I will look at least one PP-focused and one EP-focused skill set for each unit, but only evaluate based on performance for whichever phase I deem the unit to be stronger on.
  • Support capabilities are decided by how much support a unit can provide (without horribly compromising their combat capabilities), and how valuable I feel that support is. Scale of 0 to 3.
  • At the end, the combat and support scores will be weighted (with a heavy focus on combat performance), combined, and rounded to the nearest .5 to obtain the total rating. Dancers and Singers will get +1 point to their total rating (not to exceed 10), because I value Dance/Sing utility highly.

This method of evaluation essentially compares each unit to a hypothetical "god unit" who is stellar at everything, instead of each unit to each other.

All my ratings.

Gunter: Gunter is simply outclassed by basically every other axe user in the game, having less stats in basically everything and not really coming with any great skills. He'd need a lot of favoritism and investment to really work, but it's doable. There's really not a lot to say about him. He's just totally outclassed by other axe users...yet somehow not the worst unit in the game. 3/10

Camilla: She's outclassed by Minerva and Cherche, even with her weapon refinement. She has good speed and resistance, so she could work well for things like DD against mages, but otherwise she's one of the less favorable flying axe units. 3/10

Gunter: Not even gonna spoiler this one. There's not much to say about Gunter that isn't already well known. You can "fix" Gunter with very expensive options, but at the end of the day you're still putting heavy investment in a unit who has competition so direct, the competition may as well be Gunter in his youth.

...I guess if I have to list something positive, he is a Free unit who comes with the powerful Hone Cavalry skill by default (and at 4* to), so if all you need is someone who can get the buff on, for instance, Reinhardt, then he's who to look to.

4/10 CAN be redeemed, but there's no justifiable reason to go through with it. Easy source of Hone Cavalry, but that's about it.

Camilla

Spoiler

Camilla, fortunately, did have a role before getting access to the Camilla's Axe, and she got a new one afterwards to.

Among the Axe Fliers, Camilla seems to be the most Jack-of-all-Trades of them. She can run a semi-defensive set or a semi-offensive set, rather than JUST a hard offensive or hard defensive like the other Axe fliers (or dancer). J.O.A.T.'s don't really have as strong a presence in FEH, and Camilla isn't an exception.

How you use Camilla depends on the axe you give her, but she unfortunately faces competition with specialists in what she tries to do. The most unique thing she has going for her is offensive boosts to herself and flying/cavalry allies when she is within 2 spaces of flying and cavalry allies through just her personal weapon.

I know I'm being very down on Camilla, and to be honest I only half know what I'm talking about. But Camilla's Axe didn't add as much to Camilla as I'd hope she'd have added, and the fact she is so average is a letdown in a game where offensive and defensive units rip holes in units like Camilla without trying too hard.

Rating: 6.5/10 She isn't a specialist in anything specific. She can mostly play to whatever role you need her in, but she doesn't do it as well as others can. She does have access to a nice support option for Cavs and Fliers though.

Edited by Xenomata