Tactics Drills Solution/Victory Thread

Johann

Just to keep the other thread free of spoiling answers, I think we ought to have a separate thread to freely discuss the solutions, detailed experiences, etc. Since we're getting new drills every Thursday, feel free to come back in here if you are looking for answers or want to just talk about how it went for you.

Got through all 8 myself and I really dig this stuff. Ranked by difficulty (hardest to easiest), for me it went Zelgius > Healers > Counters > Alm > Chrom > Olwen > Lilina > Marth. Those hardest 3 were mostly because everything depended on where the enemies positioned themselves, and how hard to kill they were. How about you guys?

I guess I can edit in solutions later if people are interested, but it's late right now so it'll have to wait.

I think it's probably still a good idea to put talk of solutions in spoilers for players who have completed some, but not all of the maps. Just my two cents before I go back to cleaning my barracks.

If that's too awkward, I don't mind. Feel free to run the show how you see fit.

4 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I think it's probably still a good idea to put talk of solutions in spoilers for players who have completed some, but not all of the maps. Just my two cents before I go back to cleaning my barracks.

If that's too awkward, I don't mind. Feel free to run the show how you see fit.

Did the kindergarden-loli-dragon team poop all over the place again :D? You really should get them some diapers!

17 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Is it okay to post solutions here? This thread could serve as a guide/help thread of sorts.

My assumption is that if there's enough demand for it, @Johann is planning on putting them in the topic post.

Either way, to start things off, Grandmaster 2 I found to be by far the easiest one. You can reason out the moves just by knowing who can reach and kill what, which is honestly why I like this one the best. It plays like a logic puzzle instead of just throwing things at the enemy and seeing what order they attack in and how much damage they do.

Spoiler

The Brave Bow bow fighter with Fury 3 needs to take recoil twice to have low enough HP to be killed in one hit by Cecilia, who is the only unit that can reach him, indicating that either Frederick or Marth need to stay on their island.

The green dragon screams Marth, so Marth needs to get there on turn 2 since the trees block Cecilia from moving close enough to have Marth teleport in and immediately attack on turn 3. This means Frederick needs to remain on his island and take the second round of combat from the Brave Bow bow fighter.

The rest just follows really nicely.

Grandmaster 8 pretty much just told you the entire solution in the hint, which made it rather underwhelming.

Spoiler

The only thing that actually required any real work was knowing that there would be reinforcements.

No real comments on Grandmaster 1 and 3 right now.

56 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Either way, to start things off, Grandmaster 2 I found to be by far the easiest one. You can reason out the moves just by knowing who can reach and kill what, which is honestly why I like this one the best. It plays like a logic puzzle instead of just throwing things at the enemy and seeing what order they attack in and how much damage they do.

Honestly, all of the GM maps are like that, it's just that the other maps tend to have more moving pieces. (GM 1, 2, 7, 8 probably have the least 'moving' pieces, because if you fuck up the maps make it pretty obvious.)

Personally I took the 'ram stuff in and see what happens' route because it's more relaxing---and it's not like you don't figure out what dies to what regardless of whether you go that route or the math route.

I kind of want to do a map analysis on these---the maps are very good at teaching you how to make efficient moves (even when you don't know what the 'right' move is, the more efficient move is always better) and how to reason out your 'win condition' from looking at your team and then looking at the enemy team. Problem is that's a whole lot of effort, and I'm pretty damn lazy.

GM 5 is probably the funniest one in retrospect:

Spoiler

If Maria didn't exist, the map is trivial because the whole map is about positioning. The more mobile you are and less units you have, the easier positioning gets. Even the hint tells you Chrom will be doing the lion's share of the work---so the problem is somehow getting him his buffs without running out of time.

There were a lot of moving pieces in that map---I even tried a 'bait everyone out of the trenches' strat for a few rounds, which was wrong. But the map made it pretty obvious why, since the armors are an issue for just Maria and Rhajat, but Chrom needs to pass the trench in order to hit them.

You can tell the devs spent a damn lot of effort on positioning and unit stats for the maps. They rarely tell you the right moves straight out (barring 8), but they make the wrong moves pretty obvious, which was very nice of them.

These maps are pretty easy to figure out and I had a lot of fun clearing them.  Did they say how often these would update?  

6 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

These maps are pretty easy to figure out and I had a lot of fun clearing them.  Did they say how often these would update?  

According to the Japanese information, it looks like updates will come every week on Thursday, though it can be for Skill Studies, Grandmaster, or both.

2 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Is it okay to post solutions here? This thread could serve as a guide/help thread of sorts.

Yeah, by all means go for it, that's the intent of this thread. I made this thread so we have a space to talk about the solutions freely. I have an event I'm going to today so I won't be able to add anything myself until later tonight at the earliest (depends how late I stay out).

@Ice Dragon Yeah I'll either post solutions (spoiler'd in the first post), link to other posts in the thread, or maybe even create videos. Also the English notes say the same thing about getting a new map every Thursday. Pretty cool that we're getting more and more weekly content.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

According to the Japanese information, it looks like updates will come every week on Thursday, though it can be for Skill Studies, Grandmaster, or both.

Ok thanks for the answer.

Finally, it took me a while but I solved them. I only got a little advice on map 5.

It is a bit frustrating, because 2 people who I talk much about Feh solved all maps in like 2-3 hours. And it took me an eternity compared to that...
Still, I think it was not for nothing and I rather take long than just look up the entire solution. I don't know if it makes me a better FE player, but solving a riddle every week still sounds fun.

And today I realized that I should not force myself. Because I struggled at the Zelgius map yesterday and today it just took me a little while. If it gets frustrating one should leave it for a while. 

I’ll post the solution for Grandmaster 3

-Use Rally Defense on Takumi

-Have him block the bridge

-Place Cherche on the square above Nowi because of Fortify Def and to lure the Lance Wyvern 

-After the enemy turn put Takumi out of enemy range

-Have Nowi block the bridge

-Attack the Lance Wyvern with Cherche

-After the enemy turn attack the remaining Wyvern with Takumi and have Cherche use Pivot on Nowi while Nowi still blocks the bridge

-The Armor Knight will attack Cherche and she beats him.

If anyone uses this strategy, mind sending a PM? I want to know if it os effective. I admit it’s strategy I found out by accident.

@Ice Dragon If you don’t mind me asking, how did you solve Grandmaster 3? I’m kinda curious to know your strategy.

Edited by Water Mage

18 hours ago, Water Mage said:

If anyone uses this strategy, mind sending a PM? I want to know if it os effective. I admit it’s strategy I found out by accident.

I did the same thing. A few things seemed like hints to me:

• The archer can't hurt Nowi if she's got the Def bonus
  • The archer is also the only ranged attacker, and Nowi countering ranged attacks is part of your hint
  • The lower left corner is an odd thing to put there, and by reducing the amount of places to put an infantry unit, the map becomes a bit less complex
  • Takumi is the only one with a special, and the only one to ignore melee Vantage on the fliers, meaning he would probably have to kill at least one since their specials can easily kill Cherche and Nowi
  • There are 6 phases, meaning the enemy is the one to end it by getting killed attacking you (coinciding with the name, after all)
  • Every single skill and unit choice has been deliberately put there for a reason. If the character has a skill, it's highly probable that you need to use it

I think I'm going to start recording some of these solutions with some brief commentary. I went online to look at what other people were doing, and was surprised to see a LOT of different solutions for #6 (Zelgius), not even including the one I figured out.

7 hours ago, Johann said:

I did the same thing. A few things seemed like hints to me:

• The archer can't hurt Nowi if she's got the Def bonus
  • The archer is also the only ranged attacker, and Nowi countering ranged attacks is part of your hint
  • The lower left corner is an odd thing to put there, and by reducing the amount of places to put an infantry unit, the map becomes a bit less complex
  • Takumi is the only one with a special, and the only one to ignore melee Vantage on the fliers, meaning he would probably have to kill at least one since their specials can easily kill Cherche and Nowi
  • There are 6 phases, meaning the enemy is the one to end it by getting killed attacking you (coinciding with the name, after all)
  • Every single skill and unit choice has been deliberately put there for a reason. If the character has a skill, it's highly probable that you need to use it

I think I'm going to start recording some of these solutions with some brief commentary. I went online to look at what other people were doing, and was surprised to see a LOT of different solutions for #6 (Zelgius), not even including the one I figured out.

Another important about clearing this map is that with one with one singular exception, the units shouldn’t attack at all. As the name implies, this map is all about countering. I think that the reason why a lot of people are having problems with Grandmaster 3 is because they are trying to attack on Player Phase.

Edited by Water Mage

7 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Another important about clearing this map is that with one with one singular exception, the units shouldn’t attack at all. As the name implies, this map is all about countering. I think that the reason why a lot of people are having problems with Grandmaster 3 is because they are trying to attack on Player Phase.

There's that, yeah, though I think what makes this one hard is also the fact that there are a lot of things you can try in the very first round that get you tantalizingly close to winning. I know I spent a lot of time trying to find the solution from a wrong start.

On 7/10/2018 at 3:08 AM, Johann said:

Just to keep the other thread free of spoiling answers, I think we ought to have a separate thread to freely discuss the solutions, detailed experiences, etc. Since we're getting new drills every Thursday, feel free to come back in here if you are looking for answers or want to just talk about how it went for you.

With the other thread already having some untagged spoilers, I'm not sure this entirely works?

On 7/12/2018 at 10:12 AM, Water Mage said:

One exception? That doesn't sound quite right to me.

I attacked twice on player phase: once with Cherche on turn 2, and once with Takumi on turn 3.

27 minutes ago, Othin said:

With the other thread already having some untagged spoilers, I'm not sure this entirely works?

One exception? That doesn't sound quite right to me.

Hide contents

I attacked twice on player phase: once with Cherche on turn 2, and once with Takumi on turn 3.

Right, I forgot about the Wyvern in the last turn.

Beat the new Grandmaster before the Youtube videos even came out. Makes the 300 feathers even sweeter.

Spoiler

Turn1, move Elise next to Marth and use Gravity across the wall. Marth and Gunthra must take down the wall, and Fjorm hit the mage.

Turn 2, hit the lance unit with Fjorm, move Marth under the horse mage. Kill him with Gunthra, and finish off the lanceman with Elise by standing next to Fjorm.

Turn 3, kill the front unit with Fjorm, then you can kill the armor with Gunthra's special. Elise weakens the last unit before Marth gives the final blow.

I feel dumb.

Spoiler

I managed to get to the last turn with the correct positions on my third attempt of this map, but it didn't click in my head to check all of the enemies's skills to realize that they all had skills that forced you to kill them in a specific order to deactivate buffs, and so I restarted on that attempt.

And so it took several dozen more tries before I got to the same positioning (because I was deliberately avoiding repeating my moves) and realized this for an easy clear.

I should pay more attention to invisible buffs.

I had a similar issue.

Spoiler

Got to the last turn, then mathed it wrong and forgot to take into account the Spd/Def Bond in my calculations, so I spent a good five minutes or so thinking I must have mispositioned or something and looking at my own characters' meager buffs to see if I missed anything. Restarted, retraced my steps, found I couldn't deviate, then realized I had the numbers wrong.

My biggest problem with this map was

the fact that you were supposed to use Elise of all units to tank some hits. Sure, her magical is decent but still, does anyone ever consider Elise for tanking hits?

54 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Reminder to self: Always check what skills units have.

It took me a few tries before I realized Maribelle had Martyr+ equipped.

Lol. Same for me. Yoyd think I had learned from "Save the princess"

4 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Reminder to self: Always check what skills units have.

It took me a few tries before I realized Maribelle had Martyr+ equipped.

Yeah, I fell into the trap of being overzealous with the offense. After many tries thinking “How in the hell can I kill these three guys at once”, I finally put that staff to use. Viola.