Tales of Arise officially revealed.

Armagon

I'd also remind people that this is the minimal plot/setting description and characters to draw interest. I mean, I doubt Alphen and Shionne are the only party members, and there' still plenty of plot elements that are floating (why is Alphen numb to pain? Where did Shionne's curse come from? Why is she fighting against Rena? What has Alphen forgotten?). So, before you start casting judgement, I'd wait for more information.

It is fun to speculate, however.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh goody. Now the already generic looking protagonist has generic amnesia to boot. So what's it gonna be this time? Is he the god of the world suffering from amnesia? Is he secretly the main villain? A clone? Did he do something really naughty? 

Oh boy I can't wait. 

Jrpg's have used amnesia so much that I'd be very surprised if they pulled off something interesting with this. 

28 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Jrpg's have used amnesia so much that I'd be very surprised if they pulled off something interesting with this. 

Make it a total lie! Amnesia their posterior! The guy knows everything, and because reasons, the game didn't want to show this to the player.

Why must the player know everything the main protagonist is thinking? -Other protags don't always show you their minds' interiors, in fact, they tend to lie and hold things back, right Great Wall of Playable Tales Traitors?

Similarly, make special girl all a show. If she has any fragility and conscientiousness, it's not real, she can and would punch you where you're most sensitive to the moon if she felt like it.

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Similarly, make special girl all a show. If she has any fragility and conscientiousness, it's not real, she can and would punch you where you're most sensitive to the moon if she felt like it.

I mean, it seems like Shionne has a legit reason to be shy and fragile and reserved: Anyone who touches her gets a massive blast of pain and purple lightning. If I had that, of course I'd be distant and reserved and distrusting and maybe cold: I don't want people to get hurt.

1 minute ago, Corrobin said:

I mean, it seems like Shionne has a legit reason to be shy and fragile and reserved: Anyone who touches her gets a massive blast of pain and purple lightning. If I had that, of course I'd be distant and reserved and distrusting and maybe cold: I don't want people to get hurt.

I just meant in general, not for this particular individual. I'm not the biggest fan of the "special girl" trope, particularly when that specialness gives great power, but does nothing to stop them from needing others.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Alphen's numbness and Shionne's curse actually opens the door for a really interesting gameplay integration.

Alphen can't feel pain. Obviously, this doesn't make him immune to damage or invincible, he'll still have HP that goes down when he gets hit, but what if, to reflect this, he has super armor on all of his attacks, and he literally cannot be stunned by anything?

Shionne causes powerful pain to anyone who touches her. What if she does crazy damage to any melee physical attacker that hits her?

15 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

What if she does crazy damage to any melee physical attacker that hits her?

That'd have to be balanced with low HP or Defense though, because otherwise that's super busted. 

31 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

Alphen can't feel pain. Obviously, this doesn't make him immune to damage or invincible, he'll still have HP that goes down when he gets hit, but what if, to reflect this, he has super armor on all of his attacks, and he literally cannot be stunned by anything?

So, the ToS/ToA Glory skill?

Thats the opposite of noob-friendly, since no flinch lets a person kinda notice less all the hits they're taking, so the damage adds up real fast. The skill is definitely awesome and arguably too good (which is why Glory has such high ToA requirements to get), but it runs into the problem blind aggression KOing a character very quickly. Although such a playstyle deserves punishment.

17 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So, the ToS/ToA Glory skill?

Thats the opposite of noob-friendly, since no flinch lets a person kinda notice less all the hits they're taking, so the damage adds up real fast. The skill is definitely awesome and arguably too good (which is why Glory has such high ToA requirements to get), but it runs into the problem blind aggression KOing a character very quickly. Although such a playstyle deserves punishment.

Well, maybe not on everything, but maybe just for when Alphen is moving or using light, quick attacks.

37 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That'd have to be balanced with low HP or Defense though, because otherwise that's super busted. 

I mean, Shionne does look to be a range attacker/spellcaster/healer, so she does seem fragile.

Well, I am not sure what to say about it. 

Also seeing a character with amnesia gives me fears (looking at FE13).

I mean in case of Luke it was done alright, but then again, he had the haircut thing.  

There is literally no RPG of today without cliches anymore.

Edited by Lysithea

16 hours ago, eclipse said:

I kinda liked Tales without it, since it was my least favorite aspect of the game.

It depends for me.
Off the top of my head: Hearts R's was pretty terrible, because the two characters involved had next to no chemistry whatsoever, Dawn of the New World on the other hand was pretty cute with it and (in my opinion) developed it well, too. Abyss was... weird (due to the circumstances of the protagonist's "birth"), but okay. And the less said about Graces, the better, I believe.
But I would definitely say that the games don't NEED a romance subplot to be good. My favorite one (Berseria) definitely doesn't have one. Frankly, if it did, it would have been weird as heck.

From what we've seen, this might be the first time we actually have a rebellion/resistance plot in the Tales series. Certainly, we've had plenty of Tales plots where, for at least part of it, the heroes are on the run from the authorities, but nothing where the goal is actually "fight the evil oppressive government".

39 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

From what we've seen, this might be the first time we actually have a rebellion/resistance plot in the Tales series. Certainly, we've had plenty of Tales plots where, for at least part of it, the heroes are on the run from the authorities, but nothing where the goal is actually "fight the evil oppressive government".

Berseria definitely had shades of this with the Abbey. Granted, it was hidden behind Velvet's personal quest for revenge, but it's there nonetheless.

11 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Berseria definitely had shades of this with the Abbey. Granted, it was hidden behind Velvet's personal quest for revenge, but it's there nonetheless.

That's a fair enough point to make.

I like the setting summary, but I know it won't last.

Gee, the astral energy doesn't remind me of anything all. 😛
I say that, but they stopped being subtle about energies and magiteck trinkets a long while.

I remember the good old times when Artes where simply called Skills or Spells, and people just used effort to do stuff. 😛

Alphen and Shionne give me strong Jude and Mila vibe, which doesn't make me very hopeful.
Man, Mila is such a joke. Jude too.

Lost memories eh ? We'll see what they'll do with it. I don't really hold my breath though.

On 11/20/2019 at 12:19 AM, eclipse said:

Tales of Symphonia is one of my least favorite Tales games, so that should tell you something.

Bu-but, Eclipse-chan, that's heresy. (and yet I can understand it from a gameplay perspective if anything)

On 11/20/2019 at 7:06 PM, DragonFlames said:

I would have loved if Velvet was truly a puppy devouring Demon King kind of thing.
But noooooooooo, we need to have all that thing with Laphi and those side characters, it's soooo much important. (Yes I know what the point of the game is, doesn't change how stupid, crap and generic it makes it all.)

Edited by B.Leu

6 hours ago, B.Leu said:

Bu-but, Eclipse-chan, that's heresy. (and yet I can understand it from a gameplay perspective if anything)

Tee-hee~!

I'm famous for kicking over bee hives in "what's your favorite game in this series" questions.  In my case, the battle system wasn't why I disliked the game so heavily.

(that honor goes to Tales of Hearts)

If we're talking least favorite Tales games, Graces f is pretty up there for me. The characters and combat system didn't do anything for me, to be honest. The original Symphonia also doesn't rank very high with me, actually. I liked Tales of Hearts R, though that one does have its own share of problems (the main character is pretty obnoxious, for one and he ends up with the wrong girl in the end).

For anyone curious, these are my personal favorite Tales games: Berseria, Xillia 2, Xillia, Abyss, Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. In that exact order.

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

Tee-hee~!

I'm famous for kicking over bee hives in "what's your favorite game in this series" questions.  In my case, the battle system wasn't why I disliked the game so heavily.

(that honor goes to Tales of Hearts)

It surprises me, because Symphonia is for me the best plot wise, because it uses the goold old days (trademark) typical journey to deconstruct it and do something original with it, and because it's theme of racism, well, they actually do something with it and use all the way in multiple direction, as. Unlike, certain, others, tales of, games. Looking at Abyss, Vesperia, and possibly Berseria. Not saying they're not fun, but plot wise, meh ish.

And Symphonia has a better cast of characters, like Zelos, just Zelos, even though that they could've done better and or more than Regal and Presea because those two stick a lot compared to the others, but shhhhh.

But boy, Symphonia did not age like fine wine.

3 hours ago, B.Leu said:

But boy, Symphonia did not age like fine wine.

Its mostly the animations. Even at the time it was very obvious the characters went through a stock collection of animations when they talked. Lloyd always puts his hand on his sword when he talks, Genis and Raine always try doing a jedi mindtrick when speaking and I believe Zelos does so as well. As a rule characters with their weapons often touch it when they talk while those without make weird hand movements. 

And when they fight in a cutscenes you notice a giant amount of corners being cut. With swordfights(especially Lloyd vs Kratos) the scene often just fades to black until one side is defeated and with magic you have the amusing situation that a simple fireball can mortally wound the main villain.

Aside from that and the skits not being voiced I wouldn't say the game aged that badly. The shell shaded graphics age decently like they're supposed to and to me the combat, writing and characters still hold up. Its mostly the animations that clearly lag behind. 

But noooooooooo, we need to have all that thing with Laphi 

But Laphicet is a good boy who tries his best! Must protect. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

40 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Its mostly the animations. Even at the time it was very obvious the characters went through a stock collection of animations when they talked. Lloyd always puts his hand on his sword when he talks, Genis and Raine always try doing a jedi mindtrick when speaking and I believe Zelos does so as well. As a rule characters with their weapons often touch it when they talk while those without make weird hand movements. 

And when they fight in a cutscenes you notice a giant amount of corners being cut. With swordfights(especially Lloyd vs Kratos) the scene often just fades to black until one side is defeated and with magic you have the amusing situation that a simple fireball can mortally wound the main villain.

Aside from that and the skits not being voiced I wouldn't say the game aged that badly. The shell shaded graphics age decently like they're supposed to and to me the combat, writing and characters still hold up. Its mostly the animations that clearly lag behind. 

But Laphicet is a good boy who tries his best! Must protect. 

I dunno man, I always thought fireball was a legit and valid spell. I mean, after that you got Indignation obviously.
To me, it was the Kendama the problem. 😛
But you're into something with the animations. It reminds me of Abyss, the price to pay for 3D.

Laphi is a good boy who does his best. Thing is, I wasn't there to hear about his story or his development or anything about him, I was there to hear about a badass female lead getting her revenge and other kind of edgy stuff, not generic and frankly, pretentiously delivered messages. And let's not talk about how convenient the plot is.
And Rokurou, freaking Rokurou, seriously, what's with those characters that you could delete and things would be the same ? That guy is useless ! He is literally the token japanese guy with a loose plot point with his brother who too come from nowhere.

Grumble grumble grumble.

ToS was my first and at a pivotal young age, so it ranks highly for me. I still think its grand effort at a typical journey complete with eight elemental temples and four human ranches paid off. Gameplay I can the aging in the simple lack of Free Run and the spell queue. Character-wise, I really did like Genis at the time and even then did I ship and him and Lloyd? and Presea (who became symbolic of my depressive side for yeas) and the rest were good. Heck, I even adapted Colette's overuse of "sorry" IRL.😆 Though the first I was to sour on was Sheena, and I'm able to critically view them all now.

The others I've played at DotNW (eh, it's cheap), Abyss, then GBA Phantasia never again, Graces f, Xillia, and then earlier this year, Vesperia.

I still find Symphonia holds up character-wise for me.

• The entire cast of Xillia is decent (staff girl) or good though. -Actually, Alvin was... a very mixed bag.
  • Vesperia's duds: Estelle, Raven, Patty once the nautical wordplays have past their three days' mark and now smell like rotting coelacanth; were countered with some good ones: Judith, Flynn, and yes I am a member of the Cult of Yuri.
  • Abyss... Jerk Luke is interesting if not pleasant and I might have preferred this to what he understandably became later. Jade started repeating jokes later, not good. Guy was a swell guy. Tear, well I get she isn't supposed to have emotion in her voice, but the absence wore at my liking for her. Beyond the terrible first impression she gives (everyone but Guy is required to have a bad first appearance though), she becomes a purely typical and inoffensive princess archetype. Asch is okay but grouchy. While Anise... is a little bitter like a certain beverage of star anise and wormwood, but I'd rather drink it than call her good. Anise and I could agree that Ion is sweet though.
  • Graces is a total bomb narratively and character-wise after the civil war, but we all know that. I can't salvage Hubert and Malik from this mess no matter how much I want to.

Best MC goes to Yuri, then Milla b/c I like Summon Spirits!, then I guess Jude (even if I never played his version of events). Whether Shounen Irving or I'm the Ambassador Dammit! follows depends on the day of the week, but I'd be inclined to pick Midriff Boy as the better as long as someone does not remind me of the Flynn costume of him, some things should not exist in this world. Asbel gets ripped to shreds with Grafcalibur in dead last. And Emil can get caught somewhere in the Lloyd vs. Luke mix. Cress, like all of ToP, barely exists and is only found in the fossil record. 

Keep in mind I do not care for romance, or think any romances in the above games were handled well. I especially do not ship MillaxJude. ...Fine, EmilxMarta is alright, but RainexRegal was infinitely better and will be for all time.

Best villain goes to ToX followed by ToS, though there is little competition. ToA has drywall with five underlings of varying quality, DotNW is a shattered bromance, ToV has no villains, and ToG is a pitiful mess of stupidity, pity, and oaths made at age ~10 under trees.

I'd be willing to play Berseria if it came to Switch, it's only a PS3 game, if The Witcher 3 was made to fit, another Tales absolutely could. I could get Zesteria and Xillia 2 too, but Zesty sounds like biting into a grapefruit, and Xillia 2 appears to have ruined Jude visually.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

15 hours ago, B.Leu said:

Gee, the astral energy doesn't remind me of anything all. 😛
I say that, but they stopped being subtle about energies and magiteck trinkets a long while.

Honestly, I think that the twist regarding Astral Energy might not be "It's actually evil and using it murders the environment" but something regarding why Dahnans can't use it.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

ToS was my first and at a pivotal young age, so it ranks highly for me. I still think its grand effort at a typical journey complete with eight elemental temples and four human ranches paid off. Gameplay I can the aging in the simple lack of Free Run and the spell queue. Character-wise, I really did like Genis at the time and even then did I ship and him and Lloyd? and Presea (who became symbolic of my depressive side for yeas) and the rest were good. Heck, I even adapted Colette's overuse of "sorry" IRL.😆 Though the first I was to sour on was Sheena, and I'm able to critically view them all now.

The others I've played at DotNW (eh, it's cheap), Abyss, then GBA Phantasia never again, Graces f, Xillia, and then earlier this year, Vesperia.

I still find Symphonia holds up character-wise for me.

• The entire cast of Xillia is decent (staff girl) or good though. -Actually, Alvin was... a very mixed bag.
  • Vesperia's duds: Estelle, Raven, Patty once the nautical wordplays have past their three days' mark and now smell like rotting coelacanth; were countered with some good ones: Judith, Flynn, and yes I am a member of the Cult of Yuri.
  • Abyss... Jerk Luke is interesting if not pleasant and I might have preferred this to what he understandably became later. Jade started repeating jokes later, not good. Guy was a swell guy. Tear, well I get she isn't supposed to have emotion in her voice, but the absence wore at my liking for her. Beyond the terrible first impression she gives (everyone but Guy is required to have a bad first appearance though), she becomes a purely typical and inoffensive princess archetype. Asch is okay but grouchy. While Anise... is a little bitter like a certain beverage of star anise and wormwood, but I'd rather drink it than call her good. Anise and I could agree that Ion is sweet though.
  • Graces is a total bomb narratively and character-wise after the civil war, but we all know that. I can't salvage Hubert and Malik from this mess no matter how much I want to.

Best MC goes to Yuri, then Milla b/c I like Summon Spirits!, then I guess Jude (even if I never played his version of events). Whether Shounen Irving or I'm the Ambassador Dammit! follows depends on the day of the week, but I'd be inclined to pick Midriff Boy as the better as long as someone does not remind me of the Flynn costume of him, some things should not exist in this world. Asbel gets ripped to shreds with Grafcalibur in dead last. And Emil can get caught somewhere in the Lloyd vs. Luke mix. Cress, like all of ToP, barely exists and is only found in the fossil record. 

Keep in mind I do not care for romance, or think any romances in the above games were handled well. I especially do not ship MillaxJude. ...Fine, EmilxMarta is alright, but RainexRegal was infinitely better and will be for all time.

Best villain goes to ToX followed by ToS, though there is little competition. ToA has drywall with five underlings of varying quality, DotNW is a shattered bromance, ToV has no villains, and ToG is a pitiful mess of stupidity, pity, and oaths made at age ~10 under trees.

I'd be willing to play Berseria if it came to Switch, it's only a PS3 game, if The Witcher 3 was made to fit, another Tales absolutely could. I could get Zesteria and Xillia 2 too, but Zesty sounds like biting into a grapefruit, and Xillia 2 appears to have ruined Jude visually.

Praise ! ToS !

Should have played the ToP on SNES emulation, the GBA version is kinda yuck. Plus you can admire how they pushed the potential of the SNES.
Or playing the PSP, PSX, I dunno.

You like Flynn ? Ewwww.
I dunno why, but I like most characters in Vesperia, except Karol, and Patty. Seriously, why are those kids there ? They add nothing.

The Cult of Yuri, in the legends it was called The Cult of 'Protagonist who is cool, badass, with an actual personality, instead of recycled puke'. 😛
And just after that they give us recycled puke Grace and Asbel. Ok boomer writers who are not boomer.

I agree with you on Luke, boy, he was a jerkass, but he was an interesting jerkass with reasons to be jerkass. Then, probably in the middle of production they told themselves "oh no, he is too reasonable, let's make him do something really bad so that everyone hate him even though it's not his fault, reason be damned', and after that, he is just boring. GG the character development. Would've been better if he was still a jerk, simply more self aware and mature.

From what I've heard, Xillia 2 appears to have ruined the story of the setting. And the characters. And various other things.

If you had to choose between ToB and The Witcher 3, I'd say go Witcher 3 imo. Witcher 3 is just so large, so much things to do, so much fun.

1 hour ago, Corrobin said:

Honestly, I think that the twist regarding Astral Energy might not be "It's actually evil and using it murders the environment" but something regarding why Dahnans can't use it.

I think so too, but it was done, well, in Berseria and Zestiria. Sorta Zestiria.
Now instead of objects that can do everything, it seems they moved on to an aura who can everything.

Edited by B.Leu