Fire Emblem three houses recruiting all students?

So one thing that confused me during the 30 min gameplay footage from Nintendo treehouse earlier today was that they chose the Black eagles as there house they were teaching and yet they "Recruited" Golden Deer members??? I'm not sure how this works but if anybody has further explanation would be appreciated. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Zihark11 said:

So one thing that confused me during the 30 min gameplay footage from Nintendo treehouse earlier today was that they chose the Black eagles as there house they were teaching and yet they "Recruited" Golden Deer members??? I'm not sure how this works but if anybody has further explanation would be appreciated. 

I'd imagine that you're able to recruit a few students from other houses; nothing insane but I'd say 3 or 4 at max; with it being probably restricted to students that don't have much plot relevance/loyalty to their respective house leader.

As HappyHawlucha said, I say you'll be able to recruit a maximum of like 4 from the other houses. Some characters like say Hubert and Dedue would probably be unrecruitable due to their loyalty to their leaders, speaking of which, I highly doubt will be recruitable from other houses either.

26 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

I'd imagine that you're able to recruit a few students from other houses; nothing insane but I'd say 3 or 4 at max; with it being probably restricted to students that don't have much plot relevance/loyalty to their respective house leader.

huh interesting. not sure how i feel about that/whats the point considering it sounds like we will be able to do 3 playthroughs so i wonder what benefits you get. Maybe the paralogues will be exclusive to this kinda recruitment? but i imagine you will be able to access the paralogues for the house you chose.

13 minutes ago, Azz said:

As HappyHawlucha said, I say you'll be able to recruit a maximum of like 4 from the other houses. Some characters like say Hubert and Dedue would probably be unrecruitable due to their loyalty to their leaders, speaking of which, I highly doubt will be recruitable from other houses either.

huh interesting. not sure how i feel about that/whats the point considering it sounds like we will be able to do 3 playthroughs so i wonder what benefits you get. Maybe the paralogues will be exclusive to this kinda recruitment? but i imagine you will be able to access the paralogues for the house you chose. (Copy and pasted  so i can get your opinion as well)

1 minute ago, Zihark11 said:

huh interesting. not sure how i feel about that/whats the point considering it sounds like we will be able to do 3 playthroughs so i wonder what benefits you get. Maybe the paralogues will be exclusive to this kinda recruitment? but i imagine you will be able to access the paralogues for the house you chose.

I'm pretty sure the main benefit is just the fact you get a new unit and maybe access to a new paralogue. Based on how the Dorothea-Ingrid paralogue is available despite Ingird not being recruited means that maybe if you have one of the units, you'll be able the access it (and maybe that other unit will be a NPC or smth) whereas in the case of the Raphael-Ignatz one, you wouldn't be able to access it unless you maybe had one of them on your squad (or maybe both of them, we still really don't know if for some paralogues you need all characters recruited or not).

Besides just recruiting the unit as a plus, I'm sure there will be cross house supports and the story might have some alterations come the time-skip depending on who sides with who.

The classroom has up to 16 seats though. 8 more students sounds a little insane. But we do not know what exactly happens to your team after the timeskip. Do we need to recruit them again?

For one of the paralogues Sothis was the needed unit...but getting her as a unit sounds way too early. Especially since they introduced her as someone only you can see.

Maybe you just need to have a support level with the required unit? Why else would you be able to interact with everyone?

Another big thing is that recruiting students will have its own requirements. They showed Lorenz and Byleth needed to be good in certain stats for him to come over.

Given the time limit of the school year, the player will unlikely be able to cover all the skills to recruit every member outside of their chosen house. Plus, as some noted, some characters like Dedue would likely be too committed to their lords to change.

26 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Another big thing is that recruiting students will have its own requirements. They showed Lorenz and Byleth needed to be good in certain stats for him to come over.

Given the time limit of the school year, the player will unlikely be able to cover all the skills to recruit every member outside of their chosen house. Plus, as some noted, some characters like Dedue would likely be too committed to their lords to change.

yeah that does make sense. i just hope there is some worth paralogue/stroy wise benfit for going out of your way to recruit outside of house otherwise ill probably just focus on the house i chose.

9 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I only have the story trailer to base this on, but I feel like the "paths will converge" after the time skip, and we can recruit everybody with time.

You can't. At least Nintendo Japan confirmed pretty much like kinda "everyone kills everyone", so to say

With recruiting other students from other houses. I'm wondering only many students can affect the main story if possibility majority of them are interchangeable. Going to feel weird if the Blue Lion cutscenes are going to be Dimitri, Dedue, and someone else.

But will the students you recruit stay with you after time skip?

Like its pretty F up if you get say Hilda and Lorenz in BE, and then after time skip will they fight against Leicester? Their family and frends? 

That makes them traitors, just because Byleth is a sweet talker they are ready to betray thieir nation?

I mean i dont mind lol but yeah....

6 minutes ago, User name said:

Like its pretty F up if you get say Hilda and Lorenz in BE, and then after time skip will they fight against Leicester? Their family and frends? 

That makes them traitors, just because Byleth is a sweet talker they are ready to betray thieir nation?

They did say that who you recruit pre time skip does affect the game post time skip so yeah. I'm assuming it may be along the lines of RD in that based on who you recruit you can later recruit them as enemies later on, however hopefully there characters will mention it.

16 hours ago, Zihark11 said:

They are still playing in the pre-timeskip, where you're in the Academy teaching everyone. So you're probably able to play with every student before the timeskip.

After the timeskip, your party is probably reset and you have to re-recruit everyone all over again, with a lot of former students becoming unavailable.

Edited by bufkus

26 minutes ago, User name said:

To be fair post time skip everyone is an adult that can make their own decisions some of the nobles could succeed their own house. Eldegard and Claude have already moved up so it's not a stretch for others to do so as well. Also it's not uncommon to recruit enemy factions to your cause. I mean in Rev you can have Saizo, the current head of the clan that is meant to serve the Hoshido royal family, fight Ryoma. Strangers things have happened even if it doesn't make that much sense. I think you can recruit them if you did so pre time skip but they may have started out as enemies and can be killed if you didn't

44 minutes ago, Azz said:

They did say that who you recruit pre time skip does affect the game post time skip so yeah. I'm assuming it may be along the lines of RD in that based on who you recruit you can later recruit them as enemies later on, however hopefully there characters will mention it.

18 minutes ago, SilverArcher said:

To be fair post time skip everyone is an adult that can make their own decisions some of the nobles could succeed their own house. Eldegard and Claude have already moved up so it's not a stretch for others to do so as well. Also it's not uncommon to recruit enemy factions to your cause. I mean in Rev you can have Saizo, the current head of the clan that is meant to serve the Hoshido royal family, fight Ryoma. Strangers things have happened even if it doesn't make that much sense. I think you can recruit them if you did so pre time skip but they may have started out as enemies and can be killed if you didn't

Well then, i guess i will recruit both Mercie and Ann,  i originaly thought that its only 1 per house,but aparantly its not.

So instead of just Mercie i will get them both!

Because come on..... making best friends fight and kill each other is so uncivilized...hehehe

16 hours ago, Zihark11 said:

My guess is that for the school arc only a few but for the war arc eventually we will be able to recruit everyone.

Honestly, not really a fan of this mechanic, unless it's strictly controlled. The replayability and uniqueness of each route was one of the draws of the game to me, and this kind of infringed upon that. That said, at long as it's only two or three from each faction, it should be alright.

34 minutes ago, Onestep said:

Honestly, not really a fan of this mechanic, unless it's strictly controlled. The replayability and uniqueness of each route was one of the draws of the game to me, and this kind of infringed upon that. That said, at long as it's only two or three from each faction, it should be alright.

You seemingly need to level up your own skills and if you try to get everyone then you to level up all skills. Which sounds impossible IMO. I know it's early, but I do have a feeling the requirements to recruit will be rather high.

3 hours ago, redlight said:

You seemingly need to level up your own skills and if you try to get everyone then you to level up all skills. Which sounds impossible IMO. I know it's early, but I do have a feeling the requirements to recruit will be rather high.

The gameplay footage we've seen has revealed worryingly high weapon ranks, with tons of people at B and B+ in one thing or more. I don't really know what to think of that by the way, but regardless, it might not end up being... that unreachable, plus, grinding for more playable characters? I mean I hate grinding and even I would be tempted to do it.

Reminder that grinding in Hard is not possible. So if you really want to recruit as many characters as you can then Normal difficulty will be the way to go

8 hours ago, redlight said:

Reminder that grinding in Hard is not possible. So if you really want to recruit as many characters as you can then Normal difficulty will be the way to go

There's grinding and grinding. Infinite grinding is out for Hard mode apparently yes, but the monastery seems to offer tons of optional quests and ways to affect motivation and such, there's a good chance that by spending time instead of following the story, you will get widely different results. Maybe when it comes to Byleth being teached, a better affinity with the professor yields better results, and you can build that up at the cafeteria at the very least. Or maybe there's a way to increase the venture gauge faster at the cost of other things, to get more optional battles per months.

It's not Awakening or Birthright grinding per se, but ignoring the main story for a while to make yourself stronger still seems very possible.

15 hours ago, Onestep said:

How does this optional mechanic in any possible way infringe upon this? You don't have to use it and if you don't it essentially doesn't exist.

Personally I'm assuming it's very controlled simply because of the timing of developing the right skills to recruit. No way you can master everything and recruit everyone. I assume it was added to get your fav's (so like 2-3 at most) on your team. Which is nice I think because they all go to school together, it makes sense some would be friends and join other houses. 

Also assuming some characters are off-limits to recruit. Or that they're not, but post time-skip they refuse to join you because they're too loyal! I can see it being the case for the more high ranking noble houses! Either way, I'm super excited about this feature because I can MAYBE choose Golden Deer as my personal "canon" play through and replace some of my least favs with better designed ones.

7 hours ago, Kiran_ said:

How does this optional mechanic in any possible way infringe upon this? You don't have to use it and if you don't it essentially doesn't exist.

Probably because the fact that you can recruit more character means that if you choose not to recruit them, you might have a weaker team with less characters which might make the game harder. People who don't like the mechanic but also don't want to miss out on characters will be forced to use the mechanic in fear of having a weaker team. I myself am not a fan of the mechanic, but luckily I am also up for a challenge with less units, but not everyone feels the same as I do. There is also the argument that less characters=more exp per character and therefore stronger team, but we will have to see how the maps are designed before that gets truly settled.

7 hours ago, Kiran_ said:

Personally I'm assuming it's very controlled simply because of the timing of developing the right skills to recruit. No way you can master everything and recruit everyone. I assume it was added to get your fav's (so like 2-3 at most) on your team. Which is nice I think because they all go to school together, it makes sense some would be friends and join other houses. 

Also assuming some characters are off-limits to recruit. Or that they're not, but post time-skip they refuse to join you because they're too loyal! I can see it being the case for the more high ranking noble houses! Either way, I'm super excited about this feature because I can MAYBE choose Golden Deer as my personal "canon" play through and replace some of my least favs with better designed ones.

I hear this argument trotted out about a lot of things, and I still don't think it's a good one. It's like saying FE8 isn't easy if you don't skirmish, don't use Seth and don't use class skills. A game shouldn't rely on the player arbitrarily limiting themselves to maintain difficulty/enjoyment. 

But in this case, it's even more annoying. The recruitment of other students unlocks paralogues, extra characters, items and presumably allows said characters to join you in the timeskip (otherwise investing time and attention in them in the school segment would be a huge waste). Not recruiting them is deliberately cutting yourself off from content that, really, should have been included in another way. If I don't use it and 'pretend it doesn't exist', I'll be missing out on numerous paralogues (no idea how many, but probably at least six if not more).

Edited by Onestep