Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I've already been reading the item lists so sure.

You get a 2nd FireStone in Book 1 unlike the NES version. Dragonstones breaking is very likely why Tiki can use the Firestone now, as opposed to being Bantu exclusive like in the NES.

13 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

You get a 2nd FireStone in Book 1 unlike the NES version. Dragonstones breaking is very likely why Tiki can use the Firestone now, as opposed to being Bantu exclusive like in the NES.

Yeah, I heard as much earlier. Honestly given how Bantu fell off, I'm actually starting to doubt I'll run out of his firestone while he's still useful.

Mystery of the Emblem Day 7: Book 1, Chapter 7

Hahahahaha! Oh wow, that’s great. There’s a huge leaping sea monster in the bottom right corner of the world map, in the ocean, as if that’s what they think (or given that this is fantasy, KNOW) is out there in those waters. A sort of “Here be dragons” thing. Awesome touch.

Now that is exceptionally odd. For some reason on this map, and so far this map alone, it shows an animation of all the enemy troops appearing BEFORE the map menu shows up. And looking at the map, I KNOW there wasn’t that single solitary pirate in the waters last time.

But to hell with that, time to shop!

…Seems that the shopping city is… significantly more anemic than it was in FE1. Less a feeling of it being a big town/city and more just… a handful of buildings haphazardly and loosely clumped together. They got rid of all the cobblestone roads and the duplicate shops, so now it’s just… two houses, a colosseum, a vendor and an armory. So that’s TWO instances of the aesthetic map redesign choices of the remake being questionable.

But on the bright side, the shopping center still exists, which means it’s time to start stocking up on magic, just in time for Merric’s blizzard tome to nearly run out! I’ll have the two mercenaries I get this chapter get right on that.

Hehehe. If Julian is pick number 16, the “there are more units if you scroll down” arrow covers up the “n” in his name, making him “Julia”.

Curious. So the vendor plays music in this game, but it’s the secret shop theme for some reason. Anna’s theme.

But anyway, holy shit, this place sells killing edges and silver lances! SCORE! I’m stocking up on these, the latter for Caeda’s sake. Actually… why not? I’ll spend most of my money here since this is stuff I’d want later anyway.

I sent Caeda over to bait the pirate, but… he has absolutely no interest whatsoever in attacking Caeda, and ran off due east in the opposite direction of her.

Well if he’s not going to attack, there’s little reason not to fight him first then. I avoided it because he has a silver axe and could two-round Caeda, but…

…Actually screw it, just to be safe I’m softening him up with a javelin first. I won’t need Caeda for a while, not until I clear up the archers and can safely approach Roger.

It’s a bit awkward and takes a little getting used to that when trading, you have to pick the receiving person’s inventory slot first, then pick what it’s getting swapped with. It makes outright giving things rather than doing even trades a little bit counter-intuitive, having to pick the blank slot first. It also makes it a little annoying to do the “change someone’s equipped weapon for them” trick, as the game doesn’t let you directly trade between two slots of the same person. You have to trade away the weapon you want to equip, give it back to them in the equipped slot, and then trade back the weapon you replaced it with to the second slot.

Alright, so, against everything but fire dragons, thunder is objectively better than blizzard. Good to know.

Okay, here’s something really, searingly useless about the equip stat information. The game will never tell you how much more than 100 hit you have. It’ll just say 100 if it’s 100 or above, which gets really annoying because then you don’t know what it’ll be after the enemy’s evade has been applied. And the fact that you can reach 100% hit so early means that this problem is only going to get worse later. Shockingly poor decision there.

Well, due to some unluckily lucky level ups, Hardin became just barely strong enough to completely slaughter all of the cavalry way earlier than I expected, leaving nothing left blocking the knights’ advance but the two horsemen who ganged up on Barst after I had him take a hand axe potshot and then unequipped it so he wouldn’t be doubled by the archers. Plus side though, Hardin survived the onslaught due to his 10 defense, and also gained two level ups that each had strength and speed in them, making him far and away my best cavalry (also my most overleveled, but we’ll fix that soon. Cain and Abel will get a chance to catch up.

…Wait. Roger isn’t even here? The fuck? I mean that’s awesome for me, I didn’t even want to use him and recruiting him for completion’s sake was going to be a nuisance here, but I wonder why he’d be moved.

Also, interesting discovery: weapon weight has absolutely no effect whatsoever on evasion, just attack speed.

Well, on a happier note, I don’t think I’ve gotten a single level this map from anyone that didn’t give either strength or speed, and most of the time people got both! Hell, even Barst finally got a decent level up and can double 0 AS enemies now!

Map’s over. I could have milked it for some more reinforcement exp, but… that’s not really my style. Honestly, I’ve been getting some decent mileage out of Castor. He has the highest attack power of basically anyone on my army. He did as much damage to knights as Merric did (not with Excalibur, mind, but Castor was using an iron bow). And now he’s level 10. Oh he is DEFINITELY getting the Orion’s bolt once I get one. Like I’m gonna have any other use for the fucking thing? Hell, maybe I’ll give him Parthia! I just wish he hadn’t stopped gaining speed at 4 AS. Granted, I have some time before the enemies start getting non-0 AS, but still, some enemies are starting to catch up here. He has a 40% speed growth and 30 more levels to gain so he should be fine, but still…

Anyway, that’s it for now. Until tomorrow!

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Yeah, I heard as much earlier. Honestly given how Bantu fell off, I'm actually starting to doubt I'll run out of his firestone while he's still useful.

Bantu still has his uses, especially in Book 2, it relates to his base stats and dragon status again. I used Bantu as a major unit in a book 2 run and he had great utility.

Also the site seems off on the location of the second firestone. 

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

…Wait. Roger isn’t even here? The fuck? I mean that’s awesome for me, I didn’t even want to use him and recruiting him for completion’s sake was going to be a nuisance here, but I wonder why he’d be moved.

Roger's removal makes no sense to me, everyone else's removal had a clear reason but I can't think of any reason Roger would be cut outside of maybe wanting to save space?

Edited by Emperor Hardin

7 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

So you know that Silver Axes are gems in disguise, do you? The pirate you see next map is worth killing for you to get some $$$$$.

That's only in book 2. In book 1 you actually have the three axe bros who can use it. Not that selling isn't an option if one isn't interested in using any of the three axe users in the game.

Mystery of the Emblem Day 8: Book 1, Chapter 8

Looks like we’re skipping the map with the dragon boss and Jeorge and the devil axe pirate who killed Caeda. That means we’ve lost out on some treasure chests, but then again, maybe not. This map has one more treasure chest than it had in book 1, so maybe all that stuff will get back to use eventually. If it turns out Jeorge was completely cut (which I doubt), no matter. I’ve got a user of the Parthia planned out already. Castor’s only 4 wpn lvl away (albeit with a growth of 20%, but that’s an average of 2 every 10 levels, so hopefully we’ll get lucky).

Alright, now we’re getting close to the “not a lot to do for several turns” school of map design that I loathed so much from the original. Fortunately(?), I’m gonna have to bring somebody into the action first because there’s a thief right by the chests and I don’t want to find out by trial and error whether or not you get all the treasures back if you kill a thief who took more than one.

OOOH! They actually discuss the fact that Minerva just fucked off from her post! The NES version (and if memory serves, the DS one too) seemed to imply that she got away with that scot-free. Now she seems in genuine hot water for that.

…And it occurs to me after I already got several turns in that I completely forgot to bring Julian. Fuck. Oh well, I have a door key and I have the Fire Emblem, so I don’t have to restart I suppose.

Seriously, FE1's map design might even be worse than Genealogy in terms of leaving foot units in the dust on some maps. The sheer number of turns that go by before anything happens means that the mounted units might as well start with a multiple turn head start over foot units in terms of getting to the action.

FUUUUUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK-

MINERVA DOESN’T WAIT FOR YOU IN THIS VERSION. IT’S EXACTLY AS HARD AS I THOUGHT IT WAS GOING TO BE IN THE NES ONE.

Lena couldn’t even make it to the base before all the dragon knights intercepted her. I had to send out the swordsmen as human shields to keep her from dying, but then they died…

…Right. Restarting.

And after a few more restarts to make sure that the slowest units are in front, I finally can move forward with this chapter.

That’s weird. I got the exact same RNG as last time despite using up some of that RNG for Wendell’s level from warping Marth (I had him do it instead of Lena because Lena needs to tick-tock-move-that-frock). I got the same dodge against the knight, the same critical, and the same level up as far as I can tell. Which suggests to me that RNG might be on a per-unit basis, and not global? I used up some of Wendell’s rng on that level up, but that had nothing to do with Marth’s RNG? Just a hypothesis right now. The way these older games work is a real mystery sometimes.

One thing’s different though: The thief didn’t even bother nabbing the chest in range, instead seeming to run for the other one instead. Weird.

“Beware of shooters, near the northern fort. They can attack from far away”. Does that mean-

…Yes! This game actually gives ballisticians long range! …But wait, I don’t see any on the map…

…Do they mean the northern fort as in…

…DOES THIS GAME HAVE FUCKING BALLISTICIAN AMBUSH SPAWNS!?

Well at least they warn you, but still, JESUS CHRIST!

…So dragon breath has 1-2 range in this game. On the one hand, that’s really awesome. On the other hand, that’s super inconvenient for my strategy to have Bantu hold off Minerva and the dragon knights until Marth gets Maria.

OH THANK FUCKING GOD. Minerva seems to be backing off. I’m not taking any chances, but I will at least try to make use of it a little in case it’s true.

Bantu leveled up from stealing all the dragon knight exp and gained literally nothing. Nice going. Plus side, this means Tiki’s gonna be goddamned fantastic.

Ugh. Minerva’s acting weird again. She’s inching a bit closer, and if she attacks Bantu she’ll just barely be one-hit-killed. I’m going to have to send in someone who can survive a round of combat with her to distract her.

The nearest pattern I can ascertain to Minerva’s movements is that she seems to be following my party at a distance, never engaging, but constantly moving in whenever we move away. Honestly at this point I don’t really see the point in having changed her AI at all. Why not just let her stick behind and wait for Marth to come out of the prison like last time?

…Also, I just realized: I can use my horses inside (though I had Caeda dismount anyway in case those ambush ballisticians have the anti-flier ones), which means that yes, they did change that castle map to make it all indoors so they wouldn’t have to program in indoor tiles and outdoor tiles.

Alright, just confirmed, she won’t attack. Good to know.

Anyway, we got Minerva, so the rest of this fight should be a breeze. Just gotta watch out for that ballistician ambush I was warned about.

…Only for an ambush spawn to appear that I WASN’T warned about. In fairness, it was nowhere near where my units would likely be at the time, but on the other hand, THEY DIDN’T EVEN COME OUT OF A FUCKING FORT.

…Well at least it gives me something to do, I’ll grant. This stage of the NES version of the map was unbelievably dull, and this is slightly less so.

Well, whenever the map was planning on sending out those ambush ballisticians, they won’t be doing it now. Fort: plugged.

Whoever decided to put wait above everything but attack on the command menu:

I hate you. One of these days it’s going to make me restart a map, I’m sure of it.

But not today. Thankfully nothing goes inexorably wrong and the boss and reinforcements eventually go down.

It’s interesting how Gharnef now has the nickname “Demon King”. Wonder where he got that name?

“I heard Linde was sold to the slave market. She must be very sad right now.”

And suddenly this translation skyrockets back to “so bad it’s good” levels of bizarre wording. But instead of being ridiculously blunt, now we’re in the realm of comical understatements. Well done. Well fucking done. Holy shit I laughed so hard at that.

…And honestly I have nothing to add.

So see ya tomorrow folks.

…So dragon breath has 1-2 range in this game. On the one hand, that’s really awesome. On the other hand, that’s super inconvenient for my strategy to have Bantu hold off Minerva and the dragon knights until Marth gets Maria.So see ya tomorrow folks.

There's actually another interesting factor on Dragon breath to find out later.

OOOH! They actually discuss the fact that Minerva just fucked off from her post! The NES version (and if memory serves, the DS one too) seemed to imply that she got away with that scot-free. Now she seems in genuine hot water for that.

I just checked Shadow Dragon, there is a mention of Minerva breaking orders and a threat that doing so again will threaten her sister's life.

“Princess Minerva, what brings you here? You’ve left your post:”
not very wise. Might I remind you, poor conduct on your part could have repercussions on how…comfortable…your sister remains.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

14 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

I know the english translated it as Dark Pontifex.

The FE11 translation does use that term. I'm not sure if the term "maou" is being used there, but assuming it is, I prefer "Dark Pontifex" myself.

Demons don't really exist in FE barring Magvel and Valentia, and Gharnef is not formally a monarch, so "Demon King" is literal and rather inappropriate here.

"Dark Pontifex" captures the original meaning with some good adaption. "Dark" can equal demon and can equal evil. "Pontifex" is a high ranking religious official, religion and magic coinciding is not uncommon in fantasy worlds.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

I bet most people sold to slavery are very sad right now XD

I still find it weird that the DS version censored it with a generic bandit mistaking Linde for a threatening young man, and that Warriors not only did that scenario, but made said generic bandit the boss in favor of Khozen?

Mystery of the Emblem Day 9: Book 1, Chapter 9

So, here we go straight to Linde’s recruitment chapter. I think we’ve skipped another chapter too, but I can’t be sure. But anyway, it seems that ballisticians can’t move, so… how the hell were those reinforcements supposed to work?

This also explains why I heard they ditched Jake as a character here until the DS remake. But honestly, it’s a shame they cut so many characters and maps from this remake, since this would easily otherwise be THE definitive way to play FE1 if it weren’t for that. In fact, it… okay yeah it DEFINITELY still is, but it’s still a shame it’s not 100% better.

On the bright side though, the level gap between Merric and Linde is now much smaller due to the skipped chapters, and Aura’s a pretty kickass spell, so I think it’s quite likely I’ll be using Linde this time, especially considering how Wendell petered out by the end.

Also, ballisticians really, really suck. They’re basically just siege weapons attached to units with astonishingly pathetic stats. Hell, even the anti-flier ones are barely a threat to fliers! Minerva would take like 7 damage from it!

…Okay, that’s really weird. The walls around the village that look like  sheer cliffs are apparently impossible for fliers to fly over. And therefore taller than fucking mountains.

Okay yeah, Minerva is a LOT better in this game. 6 more points in speed is well worth losing two in defense.

BARST FINALLY LEVELED UP DEFENSE WITH HIS FIFTY FUCKING PERCENT GROWTH!

Meanwhile Abel’s level ups continue to be cursed. He’s supposed to be stronger than Cain, but in this game and the original, most of his level ups have been in HP, skill, luck and weapon level, rarely boosting speed, strength or defense.

Oh, so they’re fine making a custom sprite for the one female mage, but not making a custom sprite for the one bald man cleric? I SEE HOW IT IS, GAME.

All joking aside, it’s almost certainly because Linde has at least a bit of story relevance it would be really weird to cut.

So, I got Linde, and since I’m shockingly running low on funds, I sold the hero crest once it finally occurred to me that they added that feature. I clicked through it so many times but it never really sank in that you can sell shit now.

Just got Jeorge. He’s a heck of a lot faster than Castor, but Castor is a hell of a lot stronger. He does basically as much damage with an iron bow as Jeorge does with a silver one. I still think I’m going to try to make Castor work.

Anyway, now we come up to the closest thing to a sticky situation this game has put me in so far! The dragon boss, who I know from using Bantu has resistance-targeting attacks, is stationed in range of a ballistician, so that whether that ballistician is attacked in melee or at range, the dragon can come in and punish the offender. Meanwhile, there’s a sniper a few spaces back who can join in on the fun if I choose to engage in melee. So I need someone who can tank 20 magical damage AND 18 physical, or someone who can tank 20 magical damage and attack the ballistician at range, if I want to take out this ballistician and finish this map.

My options are Merric and Bantu, and I sure as hell know which one I want to give the exp to more. But I did transform Bantu to leave him on standby in case things go terribly wrong.They shouldn't, though. Merric has blizzard.

Okay, I just realized, this is messed up. Having no red or blue on the dragon sprites, and just having them be different shades of green… I can ony hope that isn’t super fucking confusing later in the game. Especially when the sprites don’t even face in different directions!

Merric is getting an obscene number of strength level ups, given he only has a 20% rate. I have a feeling I’m gonna have a lot of fun using him on this run.

…OH.

OH I SEE GAME.

SO DRAGON BREATH ISN’T MAGICAL, IT JUST LITERALLY PIERCES ANY AND ALL DEFENSE WHATSOFUCKINGEVER.

Boy am I glad I didn’t send Linde.

Luckily Merric, unlike Linde, had more than enough HP to tank the attack (and dodged anyway), and retaliated with two consecutive thunder criticals, almost entirely eliminating the need to use blizzard on player phase!

Thankfully the game didn’t decide to add ambush spawns to those forts apparently. I was still pretty nervous about approaching those forts, but less so than I had been the first time since nothing happened that time. I would have been VERY pissed if that trust had been violated.

And with that, we end for today. We’ll finish up the week tomorrow by liberating the inside of Pales castle!

11 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

…OH.

OH I SEE GAME.

SO DRAGON BREATH ISN’T MAGICAL, IT JUST LITERALLY PIERCES ANY AND ALL DEFENSE WHATSOFUCKINGEVER.

This is the beginning of where FEH got its ranged Breath Def/Res targeting idea from.

Dragon Breath does count as physical, targeting Def. The only issue is the iron and cloth of feeble humans are naught against it, only the scales of another dragon can shield against the pain. Aka, Bantu and Tiki.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

Well, except for other dragon units. That said, dragons are rather inaccurate, so there's that. Also, it won't be the last time you run into dragons ignoring defense entirely in the series.

32 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Well, except for other dragon units. That said, dragons are rather inaccurate, so there's that. Also, it won't be the last time you run into dragons ignoring defense entirely in the series.

Yeah, but by then they tell you how much damage they'll do when you fight them, because they have an actual working combat window.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

This is the beginning of where FEH got its ranged Breath Def/Res targeting idea from.

Dragon Breath does count as physical, targeting Def. The only issue is the iron and cloth of feeble humans are naught against it, only the scales of another dragon can shield against the pain. Aka, Bantu and Tiki.

...What? Wasn't it Radiant Dawn that first had dragon breath that targeted Resistance?

25 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Yeah, but by then they tell you how much damage they'll do when you fight them, because they have an actual working combat window.

Fair enough.

Dragons are actually the easiest units to calculate damage for because there's no maths involved. It's just simply their own attack power. They also (iirc) never double.

In case it isn't obvious, this trait kind of makes HP a super vital stat when it comes to endgame and you fight nothing but dragons. So it might be better to double down on seraph robes rather than spread then out (or you can just solo the game with Tiki).

18 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Dragons are actually the easiest units to calculate damage for because there's no maths involved. It's just simply their own attack power. They also (iirc) never double.

In case it isn't obvious, this trait kind of makes HP a super vital stat when it comes to endgame and you fight nothing but dragons. So it might be better to double down on seraph robes rather than spread then out (or you can just solo the game with Tiki).

The issue isn't that the game made me do the math, it's that the game just didn't tell me what the math even was in this one case, whereas the next game where a dragon pierced defense, I would have gotten a warning from the combat window.

Interesting heads up about seraph robes. I already used one on Caeda, which helped a ton, but I'll keep that in mind for the future.