Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Wait does Mage Dragon actually flat out nullify magic in this game? I know it does in the very first game in the series, and maybe does it in Old Mystery, but I thought for the DS remakes they just changed it to a high res stat.

Fairly certain in both the DS games magedragons are immune to magic. I am certain about New Mystery, as I have used Tiki/Nagi as a magedragon to make that Gharnef chapter much easier on lower difficulty runs.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Fairly certain in both the DS games magedragons are immune to magic. I am certain about New Mystery, as I have used Tiki/Nagi as a magedragon to make that Gharnef chapter much easier on lower difficulty runs.

Well I guess it's possible I just never attacked a mage dragon with magic in the DS games because of their (pointless) resistance stat being so high. It's a bit weirder in Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light when they have 0 resistance and your unit just fails to cast.

Its a weird little map. I find a big part of it is finding way to get the most value out of the actions used to get vision to be critical, as you get very few actions to work with, and vision finding actions can feel rather wasted. If you aren't looking at a map, figuring out where the ballistae are based on who they targeted can be kinda interesting. Another interesting thing about this map is that its number of enemies are very close to the same number as your units, with 9 (11 on Lunatic) enemies vs your 8 (including Athena), probably the smallest enemy to ally disparity in the game. All the gaiden are a little weird, exploring ideas that Fire Emblem rarely does, and they are small enough not to really overstay their welcome.

On 11/24/2020 at 6:15 PM, Alastor15243 said:

Fair point. Interesting idea. Kinda sucks that I have to revive Sirius though. From a pure gameplay perspective I'd much rather revive Malicia so that I can use hammerne on some stuff for the final stretch of the game. Of course, I suppose it depends on when I get it.

At least it's actually usable, unlike the Valkyrie and Bifrost staves...

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

At least it's actually usable, unlike the Valkyrie and Bifrost staves...

Valkyrie isn't all that bad thanks to the multiple staff that can warp the user back to the main castle (not to mention the Return band), and the warp staff itself that can get them close to the action again after revival.

As for Bifrost, I find it to be a valuable resource in Conquest endgame. It likely costs an arms scroll to get that S rank staves, but its worth it if you aren't cheesing it with the one-two turn rescue staff warp strat on endgame Conquest. I honestly think that chapter was balanced with players sacrificing units in mind, so having a way of bringing one back is powerful, plus it is the most effective way of removing the kinda debuffs that can rack up thanks to the staff savant, inevitable end maids with enfeebles (plus the hexing rod weilder) on Lunatic.

7 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Valkyrie isn't all that bad thanks to the multiple staff that can warp the user back to the main castle (not to mention the Return band), and the warp staff itself that can get them close to the action again after revival.

As for Bifrost, I find it to be a valuable resource in Conquest endgame. It likely costs an arms scroll to get that S rank staves, but its worth it if you aren't cheesing it with the one-two turn rescue staff warp strat on endgame Conquest. I honestly think that chapter was balanced with players sacrificing units in mind, so having a way of bringing one back is powerful, plus it is the most effective way of removing the kinda debuffs that can rack up thanks to the staff savant, inevitable end maids with enfeebles (plus the hexing rod weilder) on Lunatic.

Speaking of Bifrost...

...I've been thinking of doing Fates in a weird order, RV-BR-CQ, from worst gameplay to best, to see how much of my hatred for rev was just disappointment at it not being Conquest, and how favorably Birthright really compares to it. I'm morally certain I'll still love Birthright but hate rev, but... I feel I owe it to the marathon to check.

Edited by Alastor15243

7 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Maybe he meant it's unusable in the sense that Valkyrie is a bitch to get in the second gen. In terms of revival factor it is pretty much the best because you can repair it. Though if you're playing Genealogy right there's really not a massive chance of you losing someone.

10 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Doesn't really change the fact that it's impractical to use because of the main castle restriction (unless it was at the beginning of a chapter, that is). Especially since after the revival, you now have two units that need to catch up. There's also the issue of only two pairings allowing it to be used in the second generation.

Sounds powerful, all right... until you remember that you don't get to choose who you revive; only the most recently fallen unit gets revived. Which means if the most recently fallen unit wasn't your best one, you're out of luck.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Maybe he meant it's unusable in the sense that Valkyrie is a bitch to get in the second gen. In terms of revival factor it is pretty much the best because you can repair it. Though if you're playing Genealogy right there's really not a massive chance of you losing someone.

Bold: On paper, yes. In practice, however? You would have to go completely out of your way to even get the cash to repair it.

2 minutes ago, Whirlwind said:

So just got on this fire emblem media and saw this and wondered who had the patience to do this, I respect your commitment and was wondering where you are in the games currently?

12 out of 16. Well, to be more precise, 13 out of 19 if you count both books of FE3 and all three games of Fates.

Oh ok, so when you get to fates and 3 houses, are you going to do only one of the paths or all of their paths? (I apologize for my lack of fe numbers (for example fe14) but I’ve only played awakening and fates, going to play 3 houses soon so I’m not an all knowing guy but I do enjoy the series) 

Just now, Whirlwind said:

Oh ok, so when you get to fates and 3 houses, are you going to do only one of the paths or all of their paths? (I apologize for my lack of fe numbers (for example fe14) but I’ve only played awakening and fates, going to play 3 houses soon so I’m not an all knowing guy but I do enjoy the series) 

Fates is going to be all three games, but the plan now is just to do one path of Three Houses, the one I haven't done yet. The reason being twofold:

1: The three Fates games are entirely separate full-length games in their own right, with radically different gameplay styles and quality, whereas the four routes of Three Houses are almost identical in core design philosophy and the unique content between them is probably a third of a proper Fire Emblem game each.

2: Making my readers sit through me playing Part 1 of Three Houses more than once would probably result in at least one count of seppuku.

New Mystery Day 26: Chapter 15

Ah yes, I remember this one. In the original, this was the first time I ever heard “Liberation”, one of my favorite songs in the franchise. But uh... let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

Ah yes, we're transported to Altea's outskirts by Gotoh's warp magic. I wonder if that's a limitation of Gotoh's magic, or if we deliberately chose not to warp directly into the castle to retake Altea in a massive element-of-surprise blitz. I mean that sounds like a really cool chapter idea. There was an endgame mission in Avernum: Escape from the Pit that was a lot like that. Your team gets warped into the middle of a castle to assassinate an evil king. It was pretty crazy and badass from what I remember.

...Man, it's been ages since I've played a Spidersoft game. I'm starting to get nostalgic.

...But moving on, a teleportation invasion would also leave this map for chapter 16, and we'd be doing it starting from the castle, so we'd be playing the original backwards instead of the exact same way, to mix things up some. ...But I guess they couldn't do that because then there'd be no castle to seize to end the chapter, I guess, since that's how every chapter had to end in FE3 despite rout objectives already being a thing since Gaiden.

Oh my god, Dakota looks... so stupid. And Marth's just resigned to the fact that Xane does shit like this.

Wooooooow, this map is... holy shit. There is just so much going on on this first turn.

There're two ballisticians who are going to be hounding me for basically half the map. And taking them both out on turn one without some absolutely psychotic warp-rescue shenanigans is gonna be basically impossible.

...I could easily take them out turn two, as long as I'm prepared to kill Abel.

But that feels so wrong, and I'd still have to use a warp staff to get Dakota over there.

There's basically no way to avoid having to deal with these ballistae without squandering precious staves I'm guessing I'm going to massively need for the endgame, so I'm gonna have to just suck it up and deal with it. I'll have Xane copy Dakota turn 1 so we have some extra juggernaut muscle, see what that frankly psychotic clump of enemies to the immediate southeast does, and then fight our way counterclockwise across the map, rescuing the rival villages and working from there. As for Est... I'll have to work out how I'm going to save here after the map starts. You know, once the game actually tells me what her stats and starting position are.

...Christ, this would be so much less frustrating if I knew exactly where she spawned and what her stats were before starting the map!

...I've been stalling on this prep screen for, like, over an hour now. Gee, good thing I don't have shit to do! Anyway, let's look at the talks I guess.

CHRIST! WHAT THE FUCK!?

ELEVEN FUCKING CONVERSATIONS!?

...Let's get started, I guess.

...Palla and Catria's A support was a bit... okay a lot anticlimactic. I was kinda hoping for more when I read the B support. And it even has the audacity to give us a skill bond.

And in the B support between Catria and Minerva... Minerva outright calls her mount a “wyvern”. So they are the things that we've been fighting? Then why aren't dragonpikes effective against them?

...And Minerva says she switched from a pegasus to a wyvern because she had to in order to keep up her house's important tradition of keeping the dracoknights strong so Macedon can maintain the world's respect on the world stage. But she says she just released her pegasus into the wild, which... uh... seems really, really cruel. Does that pegasus even still know how to survive in the wild?

...Palla and Minerva's was really short and not interesting... to the point that for a second I completely forgot what it was even about mere moments after reading it. I'm pretty sure it was about Minerva doubting herself about her failure to keep Macedon together? Maybe?

Robert and Leiden are up next, and...

...Just some really tepid attempts at comedy with Robert apparently being a forgetful airhead.

Caeda and Marth are just flirty sweethearts talking about their eventual wedding, and they get a defense bond, which... makes sense, given the subject matter of the first two talks.

Now Leiden and Dakota... what? Why is Leiden offhandedly mentioning something that implies Dakota suddenly has talent in the kitchen now? What happened to his food literally tasting like steel?

Now Belf and Dakota... and Dakota's asking Belf to help him with etiquette, and... well, the fan translation really dropped the ball on this if the avatar isn't supposed to come across as unfailingly polite and formal. I mean, obviously they're amateurs who just wanted the game to be readable, so I can't really be mad, but it's just a reminder that I'm basically judging a shadow of what I could have been playing if people like teenage me didn't hate Shadow Dragon so much when it came out and IS actually thought we'd buy this game.

...Or maybe not. Belf seems to acknowledge that Dakota's been doing fine so far. Dakota clarifies it's things other than his speech, like him apparently just running in the castle. Weird, since he's supposed to be from a rich family.

And now for Robert and Dakota.

...And yet again it feels like it ends just out of fucking nowhere. I'm just astonished at how terrible this game is at making the ends of supports... actually feel like endings. I feel like I keep accidentally pressing the start button or something, it's so bizarre!

...Finally, Minerva and Dakota. Wow, it's been two hours now. That hasn't been me continuously playing the game, in fairness. I've just... been stalling out of anxiety. I'm really, really scared about what's about to happen to me when I start this map. But anyway, Dakota just talks about how he suspects Michalis still loves not just Maria, but also Minerva.

Anyway, they don't spell out why Abel is fighting us, but they do mention Est being his lover, so... once a player sees her they can connect the dots. They also make it clear you can talk to him with Marth too.

I gave Leiden the Starsphere and the Iote shield. He's actually a lot better than I gave him credit for, and the Starsphere just makes that more obvious. He's going to be amazing if I can get him up to speed some more. I'm gonna have him kill the bishop with the droppable physic first (this is gonna make me go into Abel's range, but both Abel and Leiden can easily survive assuming Leiden doesn't crit), and then he'll get to work on those damned ballistae. But I'm still gonna have everyone else flee to the left and get out of their range ASAP. I've brought more healers and fewer fliers in the interest of dealing with those ballisticians better. Minerva and both Whitewings have been dropped for this map.

...Fuck it, let's go. Enough stalling.

...So Dolph just randomly shows up to help, having rejected Hardin's leadership in favor of Marth's. Though they make no mention of Dolph leaving before shit went down like his ending in Shadow Dragon heavily, heavily implied.

...And now we get FE12's terrible rendition of “Liberation” that completely gets rid of the marching beat that completed it in the original. I'm not sure how to describe it, but the drums in this game... yeah, they're okay with a lot of new compositions, but with several map themes in this game, they just don't seem to know how to capture the rhythmic feel of the original songs they're covering, and give them drum beats that just make them feel... slower, and less interesting.

But anyway, I start making my move. I positioned Dakota at the start so that Xane could imitate him and then Yumina could immediately use the recover staff on him from a space that wouldn't be too dangerous (even though she can take two ballistae shots if she has to). Then I had Leiden move in and take out the physic bishop, netting us a whole 10 uses of physic and crippling the enemy's healing abilities at the same time, and he nets a mediocre level, but at least he gets speed, which is the thing he's most in need of since he's not past that doubling threshold yet without the Starsphere.

Wendell rescued Est, who then proceeded to get the hell out of arrowspate range.

...I totally forgot how fragile Rickard is. I don't even know why I brought him, I mostly did it in case I needed to open those doors due to a change of plans. But anyway, he was one-shot by arrowspate. It just didn't occur to me to check whether or not he could even take one hit. Thank goodness I din't bring Julian. That was actually exactly why I went for Rickard instead. But I guess that means my disposable thief is gone. I'll have to rely on door keys and the like now if I wanna keep Julian out of danger until the last possible moment. And I should probably give Julian an angelic robe or two when it's finally time to deploy him, if I can't just deploy him in the absolute last part of the endgame.

Oh wow, so, Abel isn't attacking despite Leiden being in his range. Gee, that's the sort of thing it would have been wonderful to know about before now. But of course I can't take advantage of that, because I have no idea what will cause him to charge. For all I know, he just has linked AI with the other enemies in the central area, and will attack the second I aggro anyone other than him or the ballisticians.

Speaking of ballisticians, the west one is down. Which means we're out of their range since we're going counterclockwise.

I'm currently retreating counterclockwise and securing the villages and blocking off those forts. Now, I could obliterate all of these pursuing eastern paladins and horsemen with Dakota, but... yeah no. No way in hell I'm wasting that much valuable experience. Especially now that Dakota just hit 20/20 (he capped strength, btw). I'm gonna use an unequipped Dakota and Xane to wall them off until I can lure them over into an appropriate position to take them all out.

Awwww, they got rid of the joke where Marth talks to the feuding villages and is like “Um yeah, maybe you should... work on that...?”

...Or maybe that was just the energy drop village. I got the dracoshield this time.

...Leiden just doubled a thief, and gained another speed level. He only got HP besides that, but who cares, I'm just happy he's doubling!

I've got those forts plugged up with my four least useful units: Etzel, Wendell, Dolph and Est. Everyone else is prepping to take out these cavalry.

...Note to self. After transforming, even if he was unequipped during his last transformation, Xane will auto-equip the top weapon in his inventory. Makes sense, even if it's a bit unfortunate. Thankfully he was behind the unequipped Dakota and I could trade-equip his sword so he couldn't counter anyone.

Alright, Leiden took out the three horsemen, which massively broadens our options. All that's left are the four paladins, then we can finally move forward. But I'm probably keeping those guys on those four forts, because I have no idea when they're gonna start spawning reinforcements.

...Yep, seems some reinforcements are time-based, not proximity-based, and for all I know, if I hadn't plugged up those forts, I'd be dead right now. But no matter. I'll just deal with the enemies coming from the front as they come. Shouldn't be a big deal. And the paladins will be dead long before they arrive.

Leiden can one-round these paladins with a steel lance. Man, he's a lot better than I was expecting him to be.

Belf just got strength, speed, luck and defense, and his crit rate is getting pretty nuts. Support bonuses are probably gonna drive it even higher, so I can't wait for those to build up more.

Ooh! Not only did they fix that staff ordering glitch, but they actually introduced the “swap” counterpart to “equip” that I thought was introduced in Awakening! Awesome!

Aaaaaand Merric just capped speed at 25. Awesome. Now maybe I can hope for some more magic, res, and... maybe some defense if I'm a good boy?

Okay, so, I'm not sure which difficulty of Shadow Dragon that this game's hard mode best compares to, but I will say this in New Mystery's favor for all the shit I've been giving it: it definitely feels way better balanced statistically. I'm finding it a lot easier to make useful units, even in spite of the at-times ridiculous unit placement constantly tempting me to snap and just Dakota this motherfucker. But again, I'm playing on hard and don't know which difficulty of FE11 that this roughly compares to, so it could just be because it's got lower overall enemy stats.

...Alright, enemies are pretty much cleared. Same deal as last time, I'm just gonna have an unarmed Dakota run balls deep into enemy territory to bait them all in so that he doesn't kill any of them and I can get the exp and recruitment opportunities.

Wound up baiting in nobody but the sniper and Abel. Weird, because I'm pretty sure the sniper refused to move at the edge of his range despite Abel being able to reach there. Why would they refuse to attack if they weren't going to wait for more? Anyway, after that, time to bait in the rest of the enemies.

Dakota's luck stat of 28 is apparently high enough that not even killer weapons can crit him with most enemies.

I had Belf fight the killer lance general, and for one horrifying second I thought I had done the crit math wrong and Belf was going to die. I hadn't, and he wasn't.

Belf seems to be on the right track. Level 9 and he's at 25 speed. He's a lot bulkier than I expected, thanks to his impressive 44 HP. It's a far cry from my efforts to train a swordmaster in my Shadow Dragon H5 playthrough, that's for sure.

I'm gonna give Leiden the rest of the kills I left behind on the east side of the map. Don't really have time to feed them to anyone else without waiting around for ages or wasting multiple door keys.

Leiden got a decent level up, HP, strength, speed and luck. He's reached the point where he doesn't remotely need that Starsphere to double anymore, and I might want to change his class just to buff up his bulk a bit more, since Dracoknight isn't the best option he has and he only has 2 more speed points he can gain in it anyway.

I thought that if I made the boss use his silver lance, the spear would become droppable, but nope, no dice. All I did was waste one of the droppable silver's uses.

Now then, before we go, a quick door key trade, and Leiden's gonna help Est get some revenge on that dang killer lance prison guard general.

...Weird bit of trivia I discovered a while back, while we're on the subject of Est: if you shift your left hand one key to the right on a qwerty keyboard and try to type “War”, you'll wind up tying “Est”. Totally meaningless, but I thought it was amusing to know.

Oh yeah, and speaking of door keys, I cleaned out basically my entire cash supply buying stuff at the shops to take advantage of the silver card. And as a result, among other things, I've finally gotten filled back up on hand axes and javelins and mend staves, which I was nearly or completely out of. And obviously I bought some door keys too.

Alright, we're clear.

And of course, Marth finally clears it up with Dakota (after letting him wear it for an entire battle apparently) that Xane was just fucking with him with that tiara. So of course I immediately take it off. It doesn't look right, even considering the original Dakota's tendencies.

Well... that's it for today, then. Man this took me longer than usual, but aside from losing Rickard, this really wasn't that bad of a map at all. At least after I rescued Est. No way was I going to just “trust this game's goodwill” with her in that cell. Not sure what I'll do with her though. I'll have to think about it.

Stay safe, everyone.

Stay safer than Rickard.

4 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Doesn't really change the fact that it's impractical to use because of the main castle restriction (unless it was at the beginning of a chapter, that is). Especially since after the revival, you now have two units that need to catch up. There's also the issue of only two pairings allowing it to be used in the second generation.

Sounds powerful, all right... until you remember that you don't get to choose who you revive; only the most recently fallen unit gets revived. Which means if the most recently fallen unit wasn't your best one, you're out of luck.

Bold: On paper, yes. In practice, however? You would have to go completely out of your way to even get the cash to repair it.

Having your theif give their gold to Claude isn't all that much out of the way.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Having your theif give their gold to Claude isn't all that much out of the way.

I'd say it kind of IS when you are talking about THE Horse Emblem game... Unless you're okay with slowing down to a crawl to ensure your thief can see combat?

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

I'd say it kind of IS when you are talking about THE Horse Emblem game... Unless you're okay with slowing down to a crawl to ensure your thief can see combat?

Are you under the impression that if a unit doesn:t have a horse in Genealogy then they are just an NPC portrait? Thieves can contribute massively to your army without even leaving the home castle. The ability to give gold is super useful. And they get exp from it too.Of course I perdict your next question, where are they getting that gold from if they:re not going off into battle. The answer is the arena. Throw them into the arena a few times and they can earn gold they can give to anyone. How can they fight in the arena when they have low stats you ask? Well 1, tt:s not entirely true, Dew has some pretty decen growths, and 2, he comes with Bargin meaning he can buy any rings he wants, equip them for arena battles and then sell them again for no loss of profit (Patty as a combat unit will of course depend on who her parents are). Have you even played Genealogy of the Holy War? Because I recall a time you were massively bitching about Thracia 776 when you:d never played it. Genealogy is Horse Emblem, but that doesn:t mean units who don:t have a pony are npcs. They still have some useful things to contribute. I:d consider Dew more useful a unit than say Noish, despit Noish having a horse.

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

. Now, I could obliterate all of these pursuing eastern paladins and horsemen with Dakota, but... yeah no. No way in hell I'm wasting that much valuable experience. Especially now that Dakota just hit 20/20 (he capped strength, btw).

20/20 already. You really have been relying on Dakota a ton...

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I thought that if I made the boss use his silver lance, the spear would become droppable, but nope, no dice. All I did was waste one of the droppable silver's uses.

It becomes more apparent that is the case, and kinda why that is the case, once enemies start using forged weapons on the higher difficulties, but have a dropable standard versions of equipment.

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

At least after I rescued Est. No way was I going to just “trust this game's goodwill” with her in that cell. Not sure what I'll do with her though. I'll have to think about it.

Funnily enough even on Lunatic they don't attack Est until after you open that door...

Also this is one of the maps that can have the weird glitch where some reinforcements will have the ability to raid villages (one of the horsemen in particular...)

34 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

20/20 already. You really have been relying on Dakota a ton...

Yeah, big time. As you can see though, I've been doing my best lately to adjust away from that. But even unequipped, he's still my go-to solution for any time the game clearly seems to be trying to bait me into an ambush spawn.

It becomes more apparent that is the case, and kinda why that is the case, once enemies start using forged weapons on the higher difficulties, but have a dropable standard versions of equipment.

Yeah, Shadow Dragon gave me similar ideas, so I had a feeling. But I just wanted to see, since that would've worked in other games and it was worth a shot.

Funnily enough even on Lunatic they don't attack Est until after you open that door...

Wait, not even the swarm siege tome user that attacked her in FE3?

Also this is one of the maps that can have the weird glitch where some reinforcements will have the ability to raid villages (one of the horsemen in particular...)

Weird. Well, I never had to test that, thankfully. But I wonder how the hell that happened. Do they have to hard-code every thief as capable of raiding villages?

Edited by Alastor15243

5 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Weird. Well, I never had to test that, thankfully. But I wonder how the hell that happened. Do they have to hard-core every thief as capable of raiding villages?

Its a bit of a mystery. It can also happen in chapter 21 with one of the Wyvern reinforcements, which got me to speculate that it might be tied to having Thief, and regular reinforcements on a map, but that would mean this glitch is possible on chapter 18, but there was a user that was trying to test this theory, but could not get the glitch to occur there.

Looking back on that old thread, there was a theory that it might be tied to chapters that change their reinforcements in higher difficulties, so it might be a combination of these two, so maps with both thief reinforcements, and that change the reinforcements on higher difficulties, but I am simply speculating at this point.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

Even ranked runs make thorough use of thieves, dude.

And your point is...? Because even a goddamn blind man can see Genealogy favors mounted units to a ludicrous extreme. Also, funds is one thing you're ranked on, so of course a ranked run is gonna use them a lot. That said, one crippling issue thieves have is that they were not balanced around being excepcted to regularly enter combat.

57 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Are you under the impression that if a unit doesn:t have a horse in Genealogy then they are just an NPC portrait? Thieves can contribute massively to your army without even leaving the home castle. The ability to give gold is super useful. And they get exp from it too.Of course I perdict your next question, where are they getting that gold from if they:re not going off into battle. The answer is the arena. Throw them into the arena a few times and they can earn gold they can give to anyone. How can they fight in the arena when they have low stats you ask? Well 1, tt:s not entirely true, Dew has some pretty decen growths, and 2, he comes with Bargin meaning he can buy any rings he wants, equip them for arena battles and then sell them again for no loss of profit (Patty as a combat unit will of course depend on who her parents are). Have you even played Genealogy of the Holy War? Because I recall a time you were massively bitching about Thracia 776 when you:d never played it. Genealogy is Horse Emblem, but that doesn:t mean units who don:t have a pony are npcs. They still have some useful things to contribute. I:d consider Dew more useful a unit than say Noish, despit Noish having a horse.

No. Only that I have to go out of my way, and even slow down (regularly) so non-mounted units can contribute in any remotely meaningful fashion. Which I do NOT consider a good thing, especially when the gameplay is already glacial. Also, once again, Dew has laughable bases - he's as durable as Sylvia and Tailtiu, except unlike the former, he is expected to see combat, and unlike the latter, he's always getting countered. That's no good! And thanks to being stuck with C swords, he won't be holding his own any time soon. Good luck having him win in the arena, too. He WILL need it, considering that he'll struggle to scratch non-mages.

10 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

And your point is...? Because even a goddamn blind man can see Genealogy favors mounted units to a ludicrous extreme. Also, funds is one thing you're ranked on, so of course a ranked run is gonna use them a lot. That said, one crippling issue thieves have is that they were not balanced around being excepcted to regularly enter combat.

No. Only that I have to go out of my way, and even slow down (regularly) so non-mounted units can contribute in any remotely meaningful fashion. Which I do NOT consider a good thing, especially when the gameplay is already glacial. Also, once again, Dew has laughable bases - he's as durable as Sylvia and Tailtiu, except unlike the former, he is expected to see combat, and unlike the latter, he's always getting countered. That's no good! And thanks to being stuck with C swords, he won't be holding his own any time soon. Good luck having him win in the arena, too. He WILL need it, considering that he'll struggle to scratch non-mages.

Okay yeah you:ve just invalidated anything you could possibly say and have ever said on the matter. I:ll listen to your opinion on the usability of Genealogy of Holy War Thieves and Valkyrie when you:ve actually played the game and can judge them based on experiences and not preconceived bias. I really hope you don:t treat all aspects of life the way you treat Fire Emblem.

Edited by Jotari

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Okay yeah you:ve just invalidated anything you could possibly say. I:ll listen to your opinion on the usability of Genealogy of Holy War Thieves and Valkyrie when you:ve actually played the game and can judge them based on experiences and not preconceived bias.

You'll be waiting for Hell to freeze over, then, because if you even know me remotely well, you would already know I'm not a fan of the Jugdral saga. Which is why I refused to answer if I even played it, it was something that I'd answer "You already know the answer to that".

Edited by Shadow Mir

7 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

You'll be waiting for Hell to freeze over, then, because if you even know me remotely well, you would already know I'm not a fan of the Jugdral saga.

Well then stop bithcing about how shitty it is until you:ve actually been given the oppertunity to form an opinion. You don:t have to like it, you don:t even have to paly it, but your opinion is simply not informed or meaningful until you:ve actually played the game(s). Pretty much any serious Genealogy player will tell you Dew is a more useful unit than a bunch of gen 1 units who are mounted.

Edited by Jotari