A Clash of Ideals and Love (THERE MIGHT BE THREE HOUSES SPOILERS!!!)

XRay

Okay, so, you know, I know, we know, and everyone knows how much of an asshole Edelgard is, at least for players who have played Three Houses. I will not get into details here just in case people accidentally clicked the thread and do not want spoilers.

But here is my conundrum. I am smitten by Edelgard. I have only played like the first few chapters so far since I only play whenever I go to my friend's house (who has a Switch), but I dread "finding out" that my favorite student and future waifu is the jerk who started all that crap in the Academy. I mean, I already know the entire story and stuff, so I technically found out about it already, but playing through it myself manually is a different and more intimate experience.

I feel like this should not be happening. I do not want to put my life on the line for a jerk, but I know I will slaughter any who stand in my waifu's way. In D&D, you can charm people with magic, which means that they consider you their friend. However, if you do something that is contrary to their nature (e.g.: telling the charmed person to go kill themselves; telling a charmed person to vote Trump if they are Democrat; telling a pet owner to abandon their pet; etc.), it will break the enchantment and the person will no longer be charmed and can turn quite hostile. In a way, I feel like Edelgard is cheating because she put a charm on me and despite me realising how much of an asshole she is, I am still charmed by her. I feel conflicted about fighting for someone I love versus fighting for what I believe in.

Anyways, yeah, I just want to let my feelings out.

Your turn! Have you ever feel conflicted about stuff? It does not have be strictly over waifus. For a non-waifu example, I feel a little bad about unsubscribing to YouTubers who focus on StarCraft, but I cannot stand by and look away when Blizzard acts so brazenly against democratic values. I am pretty sure the YouTubers will be fine since I doubt their fanbase is going to unsubscribe them en masse, so I do not feel as bad for unsubscribing.

Just now, Dragoncat said:

OP is satire but...

Edelgard did bad things, but she did it for good reasons, long story short she's chaotic good.

There are better ways to go about it though. It is one thing to go after bad guys, but it is pretty fucked up to go after innocent people.

21 minutes ago, XRay said:

There are better ways to go about it though. It is one thing to go after bad guys, but it is pretty fucked up to go after innocent people.

This is true.

The church had too much power. And like, I get annoyed by religious people, but I don't attack churches.

If I attacked the churches here I'd lose gyms and pokestops

She did let the townspeople evacuate before her attack though, so that's something.

Doing bad things for the greater good.
That's the goal of many antagonists throughout many video games (particularly the Tales games) and Edelgard fits into that mold pretty well. The only difference is that we have an opportunity to play on the side of said antagonist, so we get to see a side to them we wouldn't have otherwise, for example Edelgard being kind of dorky around people she's comfortable with.

Edelgard is a fascinating character to me, although I am not as smitten with her as OP is because my Three Houses heart already belongs to Annette, I will say that she's a hell of a lot more interesting than many other lords in the series.

As far as feeling conflicted about joining her goes... eh, I'm not conflicted when it comes to ideologies, honestly. I'm all for getting rid of a militarized church that basically holds all the power (when has that ever been a good thing?) and a system that causes more harm than good. I'm also all for meritocracy, because we can see irl what happens when you put incompetent people in important positions (I won't elaborate, you can imagine what/who I'm talking about), and getting a position just because you were born to the right parents is the complete opposite of my definition of fairness. The way people with crests are treated by the world is equally BS (see Sylvain, Lysithea, Edelgard herself, Ingrid etc.).

I struggle because A) the Black Eagles are my least favorite house overall when it comes to characters, B) they don't have the full 22 Chapters on either route, C) they're both missing the best battle in the game (in my opinion), and D) (Crimson Flower specific)

I have to kill Seteth and Flayn, who are two of my favorite characters.

I agree fully with Edelgard's ideals and do not think she is "an asshole" at all. Sometimes you have to break a few eggs.

At any rate, an example of a character who I don't agree with but like a lot that comes to mind right away is Isao Iinuma from Runaway Horses. I can't imagine someone's ideal being

Spoiler

I want to kill myself in a glorious way in the fashion of my heroes who failed in their political efforts

and I would certainly never want to do such a thing, but I can't help but respect his commitment to that ideal. The same goes for the author, who, after finishing his masterpiece tetralogy (of which Runaway Horses was a part), attempted to spark a revolution in his home country and upon failure committed ritual suicide, keeping in line with his idealization of the samurai way of life and adherence to the Emperor as a holy delegate. I don't agree with his personal views but I still have a lot of respect for anyone willing to go so far for his beliefs.

Edited by De Geso

I definitely feel what you're saying with the whole blizzard thing, and in some ways it might be wrong to totally cut off from them in that there are still a lot of good people working at the company (at least if the campus demonstrations are anything to go off) who need to eat too, but at the end of the day they too would probably appreciate the stand being taken more. I've taken off all my blizzard games alongside friends, and while it pains me to not be able to play Anduin "MOBA Perfection" Wrynn in Heroes of the Storm, they might clean up their act in time, and I'll come back.

3 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Hide contents

I have to kill Seteth and Flayn, who are two of my favorite characters.

Spoiler

Actually, if you defeat them both with Byleth, they can both be spared.

This may be difficult to do, though.

43 minutes ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

You only need to defeat Flayn with Byleth.

1 hour ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I had no clue that that's a thing. Huh. Thanks for the tip!

I listen to a few bands that have songs with far right-wing undertones, but I'd like to think I'm center-left. I certainly don't own a pair of jackboots, nor will I want to get a pair any time soon.