Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

17 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I would say how comparable it is to other SRPGs but then I remembered that SRPGs as a genre is..... pretty damn small.

Yeah... You could compare Berwick Saga to Tactics Ogre / Final Fantasy Tactics because of the simultaneous phases, but in those games it's one player turn, one enemy turn, no matter what, so it's not quite exactly like them either. Their combat is also way different from Berwick Saga's.

Just now, Armagon said:

Well when it's just a static image, it doesn't seem too bad.

Yeah, the image doesn't show the amount of events in that one map, like the secret passage through a grave to get to the chamber with the lever for the main gate, the allies in the arena that you need to save, one of which needs to go to the other side of the map and find his wyvern so he can become good for about two turns before the map ends, the red carpet that mounted units cannot cross (including the lord) so you have to go around, the trees that only three particular units can climb because they grew up climbing trees, the trap room, the blob of chests where only one of them contains the item you want and you need to beat an enemy for him to spill the beans in his death quote...

And probably something or other that I'm forgetting right now.

• Replies 180.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

the red carpet that mounted units cannot cross (including the lord) so you have to go around

Who will win? Seasoned warriors who have mastered the art of equestrian combat.......or.....one red boi.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And probably something or other that I'm forgetting right now.

I did hear that Ahtol is a dumbass and refuses to move from her starting position, at least for some time.

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

the red carpet that mounted units cannot cross (including the lord) so you have to go around

This is the doors Reese respected too much gone another level.

Kaga dammit.

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I did hear that Ahtol is a dumbass and refuses to move from her starting position, at least for some time.

Yes, that's what I'd forgotten. It was... annoying, to say the least.

6 minutes ago, Dayni said:

This is the doors Reese respected too much gone another level.

Kaga dammit.

Hey, to be fair, those were Roswick's doors we're talking about. Imagine, first Volcens comes and steals his throne, then Reese goes and breaks all his doors. The guy's gonna have to get them repaired after all's said and done! Would you want Best Grandpa to go through that trouble?

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hey, to be fair, those were Roswick's doors we're talking about. Imagine, first Volcens comes and steals his throne, then Reese goes and breaks all his doors. The guy's gonna have to get them repaired after all's said and done! Would you want Best Grandpa to go through that trouble?

If it were me, i would simply break those doors and say

salvation.jpg

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'm saying it's even more absurd in Vestaria. Hooves in Grand Hall? Grand. Hooves on Carpet? TOO FAR!

Also, on Narvia, technically he would be saving Roswick's life faster by breaking down said doors, because they're in the way. I feel Roswick would understand.

Family book time.

Actually, it's been that time for a while. I beat up Cuvuli's wind mage squad and Dithorba's peggie knights. If it wasn't for Heroes's weirdness, this sentence would be entirely unremarkable. Also, Jamke promoted and instantly capped strength. Pretty sure he's my first unit to cap a stat. What an absolute unit, seriously. Midir finds it harder to justify his existence every day. Well, at least he's not Alec or Noish. Those two are the definition of useless.

EDIT: No wait Jamke hasn't capped anything yet, he just had the power ring. Whoops.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

If it were me, i would simply break those doors and say

salvation.jpg

That's... quite appropriate, actually.

3 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I'm saying it's even more absurd in Vestaria. Hooves in Grand Hall? Grand. Hooves on Carpet? TOO FAR!

Pretty sure a text pops up saying that it's enchanted or something. I dunno, very handwavey explanation, from what I recall.

Also, on Narvia, technically he would be saving Roswick's life faster by breaking down said doors, because they're in the way. I feel Roswick would understand.

Lol you can't even break the cell door to kill the executioner. You have to tell Burroughs to fire ballista bolts through a ceiling and multiple walls instead. Reese being his usual sociopathic self, nothing new.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Pretty sure a text pops up saying that it's enchanted or something. I dunno, very handwavey explanation, from what I recall.

tenor.gif

Oh, okay. Maios removed the bridge and now I can't get to him. How nice of him. Sooooooo surely Kaga doesn't want me to spend like 80 turns crossing the mountain ridge with my infantry, right? I know, I know, Genealogy be Genealogy, but that's just plain ridiculous.

Ah, fuck it. I looked it up. Dew can lower the bridge. No hints as to his ability to do that. Fuck going blind, I am not spending the next 30 minutes of my life moving half my army through the mountains. Why the hell is this map like this, and why do people say chapter 2 is worse?

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah, fuck it. I looked it up. Dew can lower the bridge. No hints as to his ability to do that. Fuck going blind, I am not spending the next 30 minutes of my life moving half my army through the mountains. Why the hell is this map like this, and why do people say chapter 2 is worse?

It's stupid from a blind perspective, yes.

It is pretty much stated in a village at least. But yes, this is new and not done again.

And at least if Dew died you have Valkyrie now.

Unfortunately, you have to use a mountain pass otherwise.

And you can't lower the bridge on the other side before you take it.

Yeah, without Dew this is such a roadblock that I won't tell you not to hate it.

This is appallingly bad map design. All of this map. Truly embarrassing. Like, holy shit. I hesitate to put it below Reunion at Dawn Maddening because Reunion at Dawn Maddening just requires a couple units in the wrong classes / dead / RNG-screwed to be unbeatable, but... Other than that, I think Silesse takes a very close second place for the worst map series-wide.

Wow. This is terrible, absolutely fucking terrible. Without Dew (a unit that can very easily die if a gentle breeze ruffles his hair) it takes 100 turns to capture the first castle! Arden and any unpromoted cavaliers can't even participate in half the map at all because the only ways are blocked by mountains! The backtracking is worse than in chapter 3! Siege tomes all over the place! Who in the world thought any of this was a good idea?! Goodness gracious, it's like they made the intern design the entire map on a 24-hour deadline!

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Quick question, what leads to SRX becoming Banpreios? Even as of Moon Dwellers 4 games after OG1, it hasn't shown up in OG yet. What led to the upgrade? I thought I remember reading something about the R-Series going from "Powered" to "Altered"? And is there any stated idea of how much stronger Banpresto is than than regular SRW?

Basically, when the Balmarians come back after their defeat in the first Alpha, they make a beeline to wreck the SRX.

Later on they'd rebuilt the R-Machines, where they take advantage to make them even better, thus creating Banpreios.

So basically, we aren't at that point yet in OG continuity. I mean, despite Levi being there in the OG1 portion of 1stOG, Laiodeccia never showed up, and Euzzeth only showed up until... what, 2ndOG? It's possible it might come after Moon Dwellers, since now the Alpha 3 OG protagonists have been introduced into OG continuity now.

26 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...?

Villager:
“The drawbridge over Thove River is under the control of Lord Maios. If it’s not down, and you don’t have a key, you’re not getting across. But I bet if you had someone handy along like a thief, you might be able get it down.”

Did you not visit the village that says this?

Besides, Myos mentioned a key. What do you use when you don't have keys? A thief! Standard FE 101 stuff! Honestly...

The decadency of today... are basic reasoning skills not taught in schools anymore...!

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

...?

Villager:
“The drawbridge over Thove River is under the control of Lord Maios. If it’s not down, and you don’t have a key, you’re not getting across. But I bet if you had someone handy along like a thief, you might be able get it down.”

Did you not visit the village that says this?

You know, I think that might be the one village that got destroyed.

Still, the fact that they put that hint on a village that you can lose is still far from ideal, and if Dew's dead? Fuck you, you get to spend 100 turns walking through the mountains. Just because there's a hint that you can miss doesn't mean this is any less stupid. They could've handled this differently. Y'know, like how about just not having this useless bridge nonsense that accomplishes nothing but waste my time?

I edited in my previous post but...

You're also hinted when Myos mentions the key. It's just a matter of remembering what thieves are known for. Granted, this isn't a thing in Genealogy outside this very bridge event, but at this point whether you're playing now or back in 1996, you'd know what thieves are for if you've played FE before.

True, the only issue is if Dew died, forcing you to take the long way around, I'll give you that.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Oh hey, I finally figured out how to run the Vestaria Demo in Wine/Proton/Steam Play. All it needs is wsh57 from winetricks. Neato, now I can finally play it conveniently.

Might be useful advice for anyone else in the "doesn't own a Windows PC"  camp.

45 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Told ya Silesse is the worst!

Ahh, fuck it. I'm gonna go play something else. I'll spend 10 minutes backtracking some other time.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

You're also hinted when Myos mentions the key.

When he says "they're not getting here without this key hehe!", more or less? That's supposed to be the hint that I can, in fact, get there without the key? Sure.

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It's just a matter of remembering what thieves are known for. Granted, this isn't a thing in Genealogy outside this very bridge event, but at this point whether you're playing now or back in 1996, you'd know what thieves are for if you've played FE before.

I see where you're coming from here, but the bridge tile doesn't just turn into a "raised bridge" tile - it disappears completely. Not to mention, this is a very different game from the rest of the series, mechanically speaking. There's no doors or keys that Dew can open aside from this one. Four chapters in, the thought that Dew can open things just doesn't cross my mind anymore, just like I don't try to have units trade things. If you miss the village, the only reason you might think that Dew can lower the bridge that no longer exists is that there's no way the game could possibly be terrible enough to want you to cross the mountains.

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

True, the only issue is if Dew died, forcing you to take the long way around, I'll give you that.

The "only" issue? This was completely unnecessary. What is gained from this? What strategic challenge is there to this? There isn't even any difficulty to the alternate route, there's exactly one enemy there. The only issue is that it'll take you 30 minutes to get through that. The game's basically telling you "fuck you up the ass if you lost Dew," for no reason at all. This is really dumb, no two ways about it.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Told ya Silesse is the worst!

You were right. Sure, with Dew it's maybe a bit less tedious than chapter 2, but this crap is infuriating. Who came up with it? It's so arbitrary!

22 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Basically, when the Balmarians come back after their defeat in the first Alpha, they make a beeline to wreck the SRX.

Later on they'd rebuilt the R-Machines, where they take advantage to make them even better, thus creating Banpreios.

So basically, we aren't at that point yet in OG continuity. I mean, despite Levi being there in the OG1 portion of 1stOG, Laiodeccia never showed up, and Euzzeth only showed up until... what, 2ndOG? It's possible it might come after Moon Dwellers, since now the Alpha 3 OG protagonists have been introduced into OG continuity now.

Yeouch that thumbnail says it all. Was Ryusei unintentionally darkly alluding to this when he said in OG2 they don't "need" the legs (well, besides the whole "it flies" aspect)?

Thankies!

And yeah 2nd OG for Euzeth, I read some message board stuff long ago that mentioned him. And that apparently he retains memories of his slain existences in other non-OG dimensions, I think. 

28 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Wow. This is terrible, absolutely fucking terrible. Without Dew (a unit that can very easily die if a gentle breeze ruffles his hair) it takes 100 turns to capture the first castle! Arden and any unpromoted cavaliers can't even participate in half the map at all because the only ways are blocked by mountains! The backtracking is worse than in chapter 3! Siege tomes all over the place! Who in the world thought any of this was a good idea?! Goodness gracious, it's like they made the intern design the entire map on a 24-hour deadline!

At least Chapter 3 made home castle defense sorta relevant, which most others don't. The flow could be better if they swapped Eldigan's crew to the north castle and made your first target the western one, but by Genealogy standards, the pacing was alright.

It was less the Dew bridge aspect of 4 that bothered me, because I didn't go in blind to that, and more what followed afterwards. Because I wasn't playing blind, but I didn't see everything in advance, so it left a bad taste in my mouth when I overprepared for what came next, and ended up having to reverse some decisions.

7 minutes ago, Robert Stewart said:

Oh hey, I finally figured out how to run the Vestaria Demo in Wine/Proton/Steam Play. All it needs is wsh57 from winetricks. Neato, now I can finally play it conveniently.

Might be useful advice for anyone else in the "doesn't own a Windows PC"  camp.

Wait, where is it?

Asking as I was looking into this a few weeks ago.

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

'Morning, all.

Sorry if I seem grumpy today, I'm just rather stressed.

Regardless, hello!

Need a little morning calm?

If you can't read Japanese (and I can't), the title translates simply as "Dawn". 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

When he says "they're not getting here without this key hehe!", more or less? That's supposed to be the hint that I can, in fact, get there without the key? Sure.

The hint doesn't exist in a vacuum. Don't split up the sentence from the rest of the paragraph, please.

I see where you're coming from here, but the bridge tile doesn't just turn into a "raised bridge" tile - it disappears completely. Not to mention, this is a very different game from the rest of the series, mechanically speaking. There's no doors or keys that Dew can open aside from this one. Four chapters in, the thought that Dew can open things just doesn't cross my mind anymore, just like I don't try to have units trade things. If you miss the village, the only reason you might think that Dew can lower the bridge that no longer exists is that there's no way the game could possibly be terrible enough to want you to cross the mountains.

It's still FE. And again, unless you haven't played FE before you're bound to go, "Oh, right, thieves could pick locks without keys in other games". So even if you don't see the village hint, you're nudged to experiment at the mention of the key. You have something that needs a key. You have a thief. In other FE's thieves could pick locks without keys. Of course, send the thief to where the bridge was. See if he picks the lock as in other FE's.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The "only" issue? This was completely unnecessary. What is gained from this? What strategic challenge is there to this? There isn't even any difficulty to the alternate route, there's exactly one enemy there. The only issue is that it'll take you 30 minutes to get through that. The game's basically telling you "fuck you up the ass if you lost Dew," for no reason at all. This is really dumb, no two ways about it.

I don't dispute the punishment for not having Dew is too severe. Already mentioned that. But the bridge thing isn't too hard to figure out.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Yeouch that thumbnail says it all. Was Ryusei unintentionally darkly alluding to this when he said in OG2 they don't "need" the legs (well, besides the whole "it flies" aspect)?

Thankies!

And yeah 2nd OG for Euzeth, I read some message board stuff long ago that mentioned him. And that apparently he retains memories of his slain existences in other non-OG dimensions, I think. 

I suppose?

Yeah, he apparently says that. To explain why he wasn't there with Levi during OG1. He's not the only one, though. I think SRW MX did the same with with Evangelion's Kaworu, alluding he is aware of the original anime events, plus those of any time Evangelion has showed up in SRW.