• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

21 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

we were only comparing cooking though, and not the whole monastery, and with 3H you don't have the annoying retriyng for cooking, since the information is given

18 minutes ago, Sooks said:

would much rather press the A button twice than repeatedly reset and reload the game until the thing I want happens.

I mean, yeah, so would I. But on the other hand, the bonuses in the Kingfisher are far more relevant and interesting than 1 defense or 1 speed for the entire army. And the group meals are just boring.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, yeah, so would I. But on the other hand, the bonuses in the Kingfisher are far more relevant and interesting than 1 defense or 1 speed for the entire army. And the group meals are just boring.

On the one hand, Berwick does have more variety. I would agree 3H's cooking boosts are not that useful, though to be fair that +3 to all stats on the finale was very nice. Berwick giving boosts directly to stats like hit, or even possible skill additions are certainly something (I still think giving Vantage was OP), but unless they love the food it's kinda similar in terms of boosts to stats.

But I can't help but agree with the others about lack of control: it bothered me about Fates actually and it's less controllable than in Berwick (which keep in mind is technically an exploit and is the menu changeable or is it always fixed?). The meals requiring guides are something else to bring up, but I doubt Kaga would have it any other way.

I would say the sentence I know pissed you off when I kept saying it about Berwick mechanics, but nah.

21 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Not worth the boredom imo, I’m afraid.

25 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Don't understimate the food bonuses, especially on maddening they saved my ass

You played maddening too, Shrimpy? 

As stated before, I made it as far as the chapter in the time skip where you defend garreg mach from the invaders. Then I couldn't win, haha.

Cave to the Necrogond was a major difficulty spike, I found it hard on the overworld side to get through a fight without someone getting KO'ed, thank goodness for autosaves. On the positive side, the EXP has spiked up to 1000 EXP per fight, so I'm leveling faster, and I've finally learned Zing. The cave itself was easier and not too many encounters (thank you Padfoot!).

With all the Orbs in tow, it is off to free Ramia, it's been a while since I last saw her in DQVIII. It looks like I can place the Orbs in any order I want, so I'll arrange them in OoT Sage Medallion color order due to the same hexagon formation, with the Silver Orb replacing Spirit's orange. Pro Controller must charge up first.

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

I actually got a sprained ankle earlier, I'll probably pass.

Sorry! I didn't realize that.

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

And the patch I'm doing's nothing compared to it's surroundings, which are definitely more unkempt or an open field. The raspberries (as well as the trees) still grow despite that in fairness.

I like a little localized patch of wilderness, so this sounds quaint. 

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Wait but Cavalry are really good.. the horse army might yet live. Maybe.

Thats what happens much of the time when upgrading units, the Combat Strength of units gradually increases with every era, ending in the Atomic & Information eras. The Horseman is Classical and the Cavalry is Industrial, that is three eras later, and the Cavalry has 26 more Combat Strength for it.

As Rubenio mentioned before, Cavalry become Helicopters in the Atomic Era, that is the final form Light Cavalry-class units take (Heavy Cavalry-class units become Tanks and then Modern Tanks). Helicopters do require Aluminum, but they aren't actual "air units" like planes are, they are ground units on the thin logic they fly lower in the air than planes. Copters do have 1 less movement than the 5 of the Cavalry unit, but they ignore increased terrain costs. Helicopters can't cross mountains and must still embark in water, but they do benefit from the lower movement cost of roads as the beneficial unrealistic counterpoint.

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sorry! I didn't realize that.

Bah, I definitely feared the worst but the fact that I can stand on it suggests it's not too severe.

I know what it feels like when it isn't.

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I like a little localized patch of wilderness, so this sounds quaint. 

To be fair, the patch I'm dealing with probably is quaint, the field's much larger. A little less quaint is the amount of roots in said soil, but that's the kind of trouble that has to be dealt with.

I don't exactly live in the wilderness, but the nearest village is still a mile off and as for towns it's ~20 minutes drive to the nearest and anything with more than a few thousand's much further again.

9 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Okay, but Berwick Saga has Steamed Clams.

Steamed clams you say?

Okay but Poland also has cavalry and they are scary. I might be stretching my crew surging horses too think considering that Poland has a minimum of three more cities to take, all of which (likely) have walls. Gah...

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As Rubenio mentioned before, Cavalry become Helicopters in the Atomic Era, that is the final form Light Cavalry-class units take (Heavy Cavalry-class units become Tanks and then Modern Tanks).

I can't help but see horses just Transformers More than Meets the Eye into helicopters.

47 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I can't help but see horses just Transformers More than Meets the Eye into helicopters.

They couldn't let hordes of war ponies a player may have amassed reach a military dead end. It is forced. But it is the price they paid having two separate mounted unit class lines (not with reason IRL) with separate sets of promotion boosts, and they decided to give only one of them tanks, disregarding tanks having come in light and heavy variants IRL. And I guess jeeps and APCs or other lightly armored military vehicles were infeasible, or they really liked having choppers.

Looking at Civ 5, you had the oddity of Pikemen upgrading into Lancers -from foot soldiers to cavalry- and then those Lancers turned into Anti-Tank Guns, and then those Anti-Tank Guns became Helicopters. All to create a single "anti-cavalry/anti-armor" class line enduring through history.

Making history fit into a video game with the trappings of historical simulation can run into difficulties. Why can Brazil churn out dozens of "Minas Geraes" in Civ 6, when IRL that referred to just two ships that did absolutely nothing of historical importance and were turned into scrap? Having separate foot soldiers lines of "melee, anti-cavalry, and ranged" makes little sense once they all get guns. Sometimes they get thing right though, the Medieval (European) melee unit of Civ 5 was the "Longswordman", which never existed; Civ 6 is adding a medieval melee called a "Man-At-Arms", which is the actual generic term for medieval non-bow foot soldiers.

I just roll with all this. If someone can't, I suggest they take that Pike & Shot out of their butt.🙂

I'm late with this because it's been two months but

Screenshot_3019.png?width=761&height=432

CrossCode: A New Home pushed the game up from fifth place to third place.

24 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Looking at Civ 5, you had the oddity of Pikemen upgrading into Lancers -from foot soldiers to cavalry- and then those Lancers turned into Anti-Tank Guns, and then those Anti-Tank Guns became Helicopters. All to create a single "anti-cavalry/anti-armor" class line enduring through history.

Was this an oddity tho? I can at least see the logical line of progression here, minus the helicopters i guess.

But yeah, i'd just roll with it too. Plus, it's still funnier to imagine the horses transforming into helicopters literally.