• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Well shit, a storm blew in and the covering wasn't well secured.

I just saw most of the plants damaged, pretty badly at that.

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

There are so many stories out there that derive from Greek, Norse, or both mythologies that I just got kinda tired of it, I suppose.
Some lesser known mythologies would be awesome, or at least a greater variety of it.

I'm in agreement here. Although, depending on the mythology, one might want to be careful, if you're going to pick the Yoruba/Isese pantheon, you have to avoid offending the people of West Africa who still honor Shango the lightning god with how you depict him. The Yoruba don't have the number of believers necessary to shake off any questionable depiction like Christianity does, nor the clout to make it clear to everyone the image an non-Yoruba made was flawed.

Norse and Greco-Roman are easy, because barring a few modern neo-pagans, they're dead religions.

SMT tried Native American beliefs once, and it the execution was eh. It could've been far more developed than it was (and they had to change the name "Redman" to "Kinap" for the West b/c Redman is offensive). 

Where I'm sure gaming/entertainment media as a whole could find fertile grounds would be in Buddhism, Hinduism, probably Taoism, and Jainism would be cool for a very pacifist perspective -provided you kept your portrayals in good taste. I'd also think that the ancient Near East (and Egypt) would be a good pick for a lot of creative freedom, given our limited and varied records of those gods, all of whom aren't worshipped anymore.

I'd also like it if instead of just the typical Monad-Sophia-Demiurge trio, a game went further with Gnosticism. Have some fun writing all of these Aeons into distinctive characters:

Aeons.png

Could anything you creatively write that applies to these be adjusted with little difficulty to the Greek pantheon? Maybe, but give me a superficial difference at least.

I also want a game (can be Japanese or Western, I don't care who makes it) wherein the game is one alchemist's deep dive into Hell, and all 72 demons of the Lesser Key of Solomon/Ars Goetia are prominent, either as an ally, NPC, or a boss. Add representative for nine orders of angels to the mix as well.

58 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Compare this to the one I posted before. Hard to believe this is supposed to be the younger brother, ain't it?

Perhaps it's better for Hades that way. I heard once one story- that Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon decided to pick sticks out of a hand to determine who got what. This would be leaving fate to decide their realms.

Poseidon got the medium-length stick, so he got the oceans. Zeus got the longest stick, so he got the glitz of the heavens. And Hades, despite being the eldest son and thus by tradition deserving of the best share, drew the shortest stick, so he got stuck with the land of the dead. Elysium be damned, death is no fun! Hades looking the youngest might help him forget the cruel fate he was given.

58 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

My next big purchase is gonna be the SMT III Nocturne remaster, so perhaps after that!

It might be a little dated FYI, despite a few gameplay tweaks being made. I don't think they let you store skills you don't want to assign to the Demi-Fiend, which is something they should've corrected given the Demi-Fiend has only eight skill slots. Once you choose to discard a skill, it's gone forever.

I'm not saying it's a bad game, I enjoyed it.  But I'd wait and see if Atlus does a sale at a later date, I'd assign a fair chance of that. They shouldn't be charging full retail price for a PS2 game in the first place.

36 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

1200px-All_Gizah_Pyramids.jpg

All for the sake of that wonderful afterlife. -Too laborious and taxing on the kingdom's resources, which is why the pyramid practice declined and temples and underground tombs got the attention instead.

Although, at least the pharaohs of the Old Kingdom period of Egypt didn't do as the Central Eurasians I've been reading about did. When a king died, his comitatus -his sworn band of elite warriors- would have to commit ritual suicide and join him. To be fair to the comitatus, they signed up for it, and whilst they lived, their monarch showered them in luxury goods because of their loyalty and valor, life was amazing for them, so suicide is the least they could do in return.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah, fuck... I'd forgotten chapter 4 exists. Lame ass boring chapter... Oh, well. Let's get this over with.

You get to race against Ryoma!

5 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Well shit, a storm blew in and the covering wasn't well secured.

I just saw most of the plants damaged, pretty badly at that.

Sheesh... That sucks.

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

You get to race against Ryoma!

Actually, it has gone way, way better than the first time, because this time I've got a tanky avatar in spite of the defense bane. Because why the fuck not.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Actually, it has gone way, way better than the first time, because this time I've got a tanky avatar in spite of the defense bane. Because why the fuck not.

Yeah, I actually like this map, I don’t see how it’s boring at all.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although, depending on the mythology, one might want to be careful, if you're going to pick the Yoruba/Isese pantheon, you have to avoid offending the people of West Africa who still honor Shango the lightning god with how you depict him. The Yoruba don't have the number of believers necessary to shake off any questionable depiction like Christianity does, nor the clout to make it clear to everyone the image an non-Yoruba made was flawed.

Norse and Greco-Roman are easy, because barring a few modern neo-pagans, they're dead religions.

Fair point!

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Where I'm sure gaming/entertainment media as a whole could find fertile grounds would be in Buddhism, Hinduism, probably Taoism, and Jainism would be cool for a very pacifist perspective -provided you kept your portrayals in good taste. I'd also think that the ancient Near East (and Egypt) would be a good pick for a lot of creative freedom, given our limited and varied records of those gods, all of whom aren't worshipped anymore.

Definitely! Digging into Fate and discovering Karna, as well as having Krishna, Ananta/Shesha, and Maitreya be a major part of Apocalypse, and the "kill Mizar" operation in Devil Survivor 2 with the Awakening of Shiva and Kama, made me want to read up on those mythologies, and I have been intrigued by what I found.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'd also like it if instead of just the Monad-Sophia-Demiurge trio, a game went further with Gnosticism. Have some fun write all of these Aeons into distinctive characters:

Aeons.png

Could anything you creatively write that applies to these be adjusted with little difficulty to the Greek pantheon? Maybe, but give me a superficial difference at least.

I also want a game (can be Japanese or Western, I don't care who makes it) wherein the game is one alchemist's deep dive into Hell, and all 72 demons of the Lesser Key of Solomon/Ars Goetia are prominent, either as an ally, NPC, or a boss. Add representative for nine orders of angels to the mix as well.

Both sound very intriguing! I would be all for it!

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Perhaps it's better for Hades that way. I heard once one story- that Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon decided to pick sticks out of a hand to determine who got what. This would be leaving fate to decide their realms.

Poseidon got the medium-length stick, so he got the oceans. Zeus got the longest stick, so he got the glitz of the heavens. And Hades, despite being the eldest son and thus by tradition deserving of the best share, drew the shortest stick, so he got stuck with the land of the dead. Elysium be damned, death is no fun! Hades looking the youngest might help him forget the cruel fate he was given.

True!
Him being jealous of Zeus is his main source of motivation in his depiction in WO4U, as well.

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm not saying it's a bad game, I enjoyed it.  But I'd wait and see if Atlus does a sale at a later date, I'd assign a fair chance of that. They shouldn't be charging full retail price for a PS2 game in the first place.

Wait, they're actually doing that?
Okay, I'm waiting!

9 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

That movie was disturbing in many ways, but awesome in plenty of other ways. xD

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Sheesh... That sucks.

Worst case scenario it's a TPK.

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, I can understand not wanting to deal with Ryoma, exp thief in a place with a bunch of mountain terrain (that Corrin can dissolve...... Sheesh DV is OP.)

Pokemon, where a talk about coming to terms with loss, the kindness of someone to save his pokemon in the last minute and giving forgiveness to those who have hurt you.... gets undercut by said pokemon constantly cutting into the conversation with noise and all in a non-voiced game, alongside how silly the ride equipment looks in the situation.