Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Just now, Shrimperor said:

And an asshole appears to ruin the fluff <.<

OOF

---

On the topic of Xenoblade 2, Ruben, it very much is anime.
Like... if you've watched/heard of any of the big shonen series (Naruto, Dragonball etc.), it's basically that in video game form. With everything that entails.

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I get the feeling you want some mythical 6 numbers

...Do I dare ask?

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

That i am not gonna answer because there are kids here xD

Figured I shouldn't...

20 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Shame. Oh, well, to each their own. I can see it's a wonderfully crafted game, at any rate.

Can't say i didn't try at least! 

May i ask why the idea of it being "anime" turns you away so much?

My current Tales of MC tier list out of the ones i've played so far!

b5a559d565f663808479de92782ad5eb.png

Edit: This tier list is 100% accurate and disagreement would be a sin of some sort.

Edited by lightcosmo

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Can't say i didn't try at least! 

May i ask why the idea of it being "anime" turns you away so much?

Well, that's mostly a joke, but... to be honest, I'm just not fond of this kind of high fantasy anime aesthetic. I can't exactly explain it, it's just this set of style decisions so popular in anime that I just don't like. I far prefer more grounded aesthetics. Not ultra realistic or anything, but if we take all of my favorite games, you can definitely tell there's a pattern. But it's not a dealbreaker, I'd be willing to roll with it if the game's genres weren't both ones that I'm not into either.

I do have one more specific reason, however: 99% of the time, this kind of artstyle comes with plenty of sexual fanservice packaged into it, and as I've said multiple times before, I have no patience for that. It breaks my immersion and makes me roll my eyes every time I encounter it in a game, show or whatever that tries to be taken even a little seriously. Unfortunately, from what I've seen, Xenoblade is really no different from all the rest in this regard. Again, I'm willing to accept some fanservice as an inevitability of anime as a whole if the rest of the thing is great, but... Yeah. RPG + open world is just not the mix of my dreams.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, that's mostly a joke, but... to be honest, I'm just not fond of this kind of high fantasy anime aesthetic. I can't exactly explain it, it's just this set of style decisions so popular in anime that I just don't like. I far prefer more grounded aesthetics. Not ultra realistic or anything, but if we take all of my favorite games, you can definitely tell there's a pattern. But it's not a dealbreaker, I'd be willing to roll with it if the game's genres weren't both ones that I'm not into either.

I do have one more specific reason, however: 99% of the time, this kind of artstyle comes with plenty of sexual fanservice packaged into it, and as I've said multiple times before, I have no patience for that. It breaks my immersion and makes me roll my eyes every time I encounter it in a game, show or whatever that tries to be taken even a little seriously. Unfortunately, from what I've seen, Xenoblade is really no different from all the rest in this regard. Again, I'm willing to accept some fanservice as an inevitability of anime as a whole if the rest of the thing is great, but... Yeah. RPG + open world is just not the mix of my dreams.

I see, i see. I can understand your perspective on this. 

I'd say XC2 is pretty lite all things considered and even then, the storyline isn't all jokes and humor, if that's what you mean. They hardly ever take anything "too far" in that regard. But hey, we're all different, so if it doesn't interest you, it doesn't!

13 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I see, i see. I can understand your perspective on this. 

I'd say XC2 is pretty lite all things considered and even then, the storyline isn't all jokes and humor, if that's what you mean. They hardly ever take anything "too far" in that regard. But hey, we're all different, so if it doesn't interest you, it doesn't!

In fairness, I haven't looked that much into Xenoblade, due to the genre and superficial artstyle driving me away. I didn't mean that as a criticism of the series or anything. Just an explanation of why I'm always complaining about "anime." If it wasn't clear enough, the overzealous hatred against the vague idea of "anime" is an exaggeration, haha.

And hey, about that "jokes and humor" remark - sometimes, I'm in the mood for a story that's all jokes and humor. I thoroughly enjoyed Conquest's storyline, for instance. That shit was so much fun, every scene managed to make me laugh for one reason or another. And while I've found that I tend to enjoy darker stories the most, I really love when even the bleakest of stories cracks a quick joke. Something like this (in spoilers because of size more than anything, there's no actual spoilers here):

Spoiler
This is from the very beginning of Banner Saga.

3job16lq o

Tx4euigp o

8ipzpo63 o

Yffnthms o

Fast forward to the final stretch of the third game, roughly 30 hours of gameplay later

Vhkjjonj o

B0uc2nwr o

(Turns out this was all secretly an excuse to plug Banner Saga yet again, sorry)

Edited by Saint Rubenio

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

In fairness, I haven't looked that much into Xenoblade, due to the genre and superficial artstyle driving me away. I didn't mean that as a criticism of the series or anything. Just an explanation of why I'm always complaining about "anime." If it wasn't clear enough, the overzealous hatred against the vague idea of "anime" is an exaggeration, haha.

And hey, about that "jokes and humor" remark - sometimes, I'm in the mood for a story that's all jokes and humor. I thoroughly enjoyed Conquest's storyline, for instance. That shit was so much fun, every scene managed to make me laugh for one reason or another. And while I've found that I tend to enjoy darker stories the most, I really love when even the bleakest of stories cracks a quick joke. Something like this (in spoilers because of size more than anything, there's no actual spoilers here):

Reveal hidden contents
This is from the very beginning of Banner Saga.

3job16lq o

Tx4euigp o

8ipzpo63 o

Yffnthms o

Fast forward to the final stretch of the third game, roughly 30 hours of gameplay later

Vhkjjonj o

B0uc2nwr o

(Turns out this was all secretly an excuse to plug Banner Saga yet again, sorry)

Oh don't worry, i didn't get the impression that you were criticizing it, just stating why i thought it wasn't like others.

You don't like when good things happen? I personally think that a story needs both to properly thrive.

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

You don't like when good things happen? I personally think that a story needs both to properly thrive.

I like a good ending as much as anybody else, but I've found that I like stories better when the journey to that happy ending is difficult and treacherous. Not super horrible all the time, but kinda difficult in some ways... I mean, it's not an exact science or anything. Sometimes I'm in the mood for lighthearted tales too. I just find that on average I seem to kinda like stories better when they're dark... Kinda. Again, not an exact science, haha.

...None of that made any fucking sense...

Edited by Saint Rubenio

I like a good ending as much as anybody else, but I've found that I like stories better when the journey to that happy ending is difficult and treacherous. Not super horrible all the time, but kinda difficult in some ways... I mean, it's not an exact science or anything. Sometimes I'm in the mood for lighthearted tales too. I just find that on average I seem to kinda like stories better when they're dark... Kinda. Again, not an exact science, haha.

...None of that made any fucking sense...

Huh, i can agree to this in some cases. If one side is gonna be overdone though, i'd prefer light over horrible. XD

When i think what you said, there are a few games i can think of that end up that way.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Huh, i can agree to this in some cases. If one side is gonna be overdone though, i'd prefer light over horrible. XD

To each their own, as they say!

When i think what you said, there are a few games i can think of that end up that way.

Oh boy. Well? Go ahead.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

To each their own, as they say!

Oh boy. Well? Go ahead.

Right!

Ummm, that could end up taking a while. XD

As far as "sad" endings go, i'd say FF Type-0 has #1 for me, though. It's... very sad what happens, and not just the fact that pretty much everyone dies. It's much more than just that.

I like both happy and bittersweet endings. Heck, even some sad endings (but I don't like straight up downer endings, where everything is shit. You need to have at least SOME good in there, particularly in a game, because otherwise, I'm just gonna think "Well why the fuck did I play this then?" XD)
And yeah, I agree with Shrimpy: suffering can make a story and characters more compelling/interesting, and it makes a happy ending much sweeter.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Just don't go full edge mod

Agreed, if all there is to a story is suffering, and the ending is sad, too, you'll run the risk of the audience not caring anymore. I think TV Tropes calls this phenomenon "Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy".
You need some measure of levity to make the suffering hit that much harder.

And if you go too deeply into suffering mode in an attempt to make your story "deep", it just comes across as pretentious, to be honest.

Also, what's this? A civil discussion of differing opinions on the internet? INCONCEIVABLE! XD