• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

And now I literally only need to play through the game one more time on Nightmare difficulty and get the true ending, and then that will be my next 100% achievements.
But I think I'mma move on to a different game first!

Okay, so please don't take this as me complaining or anything, but... Wow, this game feels like a prank from the devs at times.

Like, seriously. I found a wall that I could break with my super sprint powers by sprinting through the save, recharge and navigation rooms. So I did it, I broke the wall, I landed on another breakable sprint wall, and then I slowly sank through the ground. All very promising signs of progress. And where did that leave me? In front of a door that I could just access by walking.

Why? Why did they do that? There's no reason to do that other than to make me feel like the court jester. And hey, if that was the intent, mission accomplished in flying colors: This game is making me feel like an idiot every two seconds.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Okay, so please don't take this as me complaining or anything, but... Wow, this game feels like a prank from the devs at times.

Like, seriously. I found a wall that I could break with my super sprint powers by sprinting through the save, recharge and navigation rooms. So I did it, I broke the wall, I landed on another breakable sprint wall, and then I slowly sank through the ground. All very promising signs of progress. And where did that leave me? In front of a door that I could just access by walking.

Why? Why did they do that? There's no reason to do that other than to make me feel like the court jester. And hey, if that was the intent, mission accomplished in flying colors: This game is making me feel like an idiot every two seconds.

Can you post the map of this area?

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Personally, I think that you might be looking at this the wrong way. Dont take it as some agressive comment, mostly an opinion. 

43 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Fuuuuckin' HELL, I did it!
Holy moly, that was... a thing, certainly. XD

AND I S-RANKED IT?!? LITERALLY HOW?!?

XD

Congrats, Draggy! 

All right, there we go. I found the way. The (green) hatchets are open!

I must say, I'm finding some unexpected enjoyment out of this. Every time I uncover the secret it makes me feel like a genius. Of course, it is accompanied with a bittersweet feeling of being trolled by the devs, but hey. I am enjoying this. Would've dropped it already if I wasn't.

Who made this game, by the way? I'll bet it's an old japanese man with a funny name like Kaga or Anno or Iga. This just feels like that type of game. Yes, I know, Anno didn't make a game. Forgive me, I just find it really funny that there's a guy called Anno out there.

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Can you post the map of this area?

No need, I've found the way forward by bombing every spot imaginable.

I also found a hidden room that contained absolutely nothing. That was a fun experience.

5 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Personally, I think that you might be looking at this the wrong way. Dont take it as some agressive comment, mostly an opinion. 

Oh, absolutely. This type of secret hunting game isn't something I'm accustomed to at all. Yeah, yeah, I know, Kaga elitist and all, but... Well, Kaga's secrets weren't mandatory lol.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

No need, I've found the way forward by bombing every spot imaginable.

I also found a hidden room that contained absolutely nothing. That was a fun experience.

I meant the whole "Speed Boost through only to find a door you could've just walked through".

Empty room, huh. Please, this is Metroid. That's when you start bombing the heck out of it.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I meant the whole "Speed Boost through only to find a door you could've just walked through".

Hqpceq3p o

Apologies for the unreadable text.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Empty room, huh. Please, this is Metroid. That's when you start bombing the heck out of it.

I did. It honestly did contain absolutely nothing. Not even any of those breakable tiles with a visual hint as to how you're supposed to break them. Nothing. I returned to it after opening the hatchets and it had two regular enemies. that's it.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:
Apologies for the unreadable text.

I did. It honestly did contain absolutely nothing. Not even any of those breakable tiles with a visual hint as to how you're supposed to break them. Nothing. I returned to it after opening the hatchets and it had two regular enemies. that's it.

Ah, I get it now. Well, speedrunning strat there, heh.

Oh, there is. Have you not noticed those circles on the map that indicate an Energy Tank or Missile Expansion is there? That become dots when you get the item? Yep. There's an item in there. You likely just don't have the required upgrade to get it. Or you also don't have the habit or just randomly firing missiles or beams into walls or even ceilings. Some items are found that way.

Also, one more comment about Ys 8 that I have to make.
Now that I've fought both final bosses twice, I have to say, I actually really like the battle theme for the first one.

This one, to be exact.
Sure, it may not be as 'epic' as some other final battle themes, but to me, this fits the context of the overall story leading up to this point absolutely perfectly.
It's just like how, in a vacuum, Sayonara - Kami Musubi, the theme for the first phase of the final boss of Blue Reflection, does not sound like a final boss theme at all. But put it into the context of everything the game was and is up until that point, and the theme suddenly becomes wonderfully fitting (that song from Blue Reflection is absolutely beautiful, too, which helps, but still).

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Ah, I get it now. Well, speedrunning strat there, heh.

Oh, there is. Have you not noticed those circles on the map that indicate an Energy Tank or Missile Expansion is there? That become dots when you get the item? Yep. There's an item in there. You likely just don't have the required upgrade to get it. Or you also don't have the habit or just randomly firing missiles or beams into walls or even ceilings. Some items are found that way.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

As mentioned, those white circles are missed powerups. Gotta open your mind quite a bit when searching!

If I put any more explosives on that room I think I'll bring the whole ship down on myself. I'd better just make a note of it and come back later.

Or, y'know, forget. That's just as likely, if not more.

Just now, Shrimperor said:

I wish Ys 9 had one...

NOOOOO!
I love it when games have these! Why doesn't it have one?

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

that it is that it is

You may see it in my sig in the not-so-distant future. XD

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

Why doesn't it have one?

Dunno...

It's especially sad considering how good the game's ending CGs are

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

You may see it in my sig in the not-so-distant future. XD

ayyy

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

One thing that I really like about the current Trails game: selecting an action shows how much delay the action will have, making future planning much easier.

yeah it's one of the main reasons i much prefer Crossbell's UI over Sky

Dunno...

It's especially sad considering how good the game's ending CGs are

Damnit.
I like that Ys VIII gave me all the ending CGs, so now I have them saved on my PC, to use for desktop backgrounds and such.
That's another minus point for Ys 9!

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

ayyy

^^

yeah it's one of the main reasons i much prefer Crossbell's UI over Sky

👍  another thing: I see they moved some of the quartz around again.

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I like that Ys VIII gave me all the ending CGs, so now I have them saved on my PC, to use for desktop backgrounds and such.

yeah i will have to extract the Ys 9 ones and gimp them myself sometime

but too lazy atm lol

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

👍  another thing: I see they moved some of the quartz around again.

that happens every game haha

Well, Crossbell is the last game with a good Orbment system, so enjoy it while it lasts^^