Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Somehow, I did it. I managed to successfully ironman The Holy Sword of Silvanister. That was insane.

14 deaths out of a total 50 units (excluding some replacement units, guest units, and a unit who was entirely unavailable to me this run because of one of my early deaths). Nearly lost my sanity in a couple places, had several close calls. Ultimately, though, despite a certain lategame chapter being absolutely terrible for ironmans, this game was surprisingly good for it. Having to work around losing some crucial units early on forced me to think outside the box, to experiment, and to place focus on units I usually ignored, particularly in maps where the absence of the dead was very punishing. Through the power of perseverance (and PEDs in the form of stat tonics), I managed to succeed. Several maps came down to the wire, and some unit deaths were truly crushing.

This has made me even more excited and hopeful for a potential translation. This game is something else. I don't know if I'd rate it above RD just yet because of how much I adore that game too, but it's damn close already, and this game is in japanese! 

TL;DR (short post but still): Ironmanning HSoS made for one of the most memorable and intense experiences I've had playing a game. 

• Replies 177.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Just now, Spara said:

Somehow, I did it. I managed to successfully ironman The Holy Sword of Silvanister. That was insane.

14 deaths out of a total 50 units (excluding some replacement units, guest units, and a unit who was entirely unavailable to me this run because of one of my early deaths). Nearly lost my sanity in a couple places, had several close calls. Ultimately, though, despite a certain lategame chapter being absolutely terrible for ironmans, this game was surprisingly good for it. Having to work around losing some crucial units early on forced me to think outside the box, to experiment, and to place focus on units I usually ignored, particularly in maps where the absence of the dead was very punishing. Through the power of perseverance (and PEDs in the form of stat tonics), I managed to succeed. Several maps came down to the wire, and some unit deaths were truly crushing.

This has made me even more excited and hopeful for a potential translation. This game is something else. I don't know if I'd rate it above RD just yet because of how much I adore that game too, but it's damn close already, and this game is in japanese! 

TL;DR (short post but still): Ironmanning HSoS made for one of the most memorable and intense experiences I've had playing a game. 

Damnit Spara, stop hyping me for a HSoS translation that I don't even believe is likely to come out...

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Damnit Spara, stop hyping me for a HSoS translation that I don't even believe is likely to come out...

No. 🙂

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Then at least have the decency to go to Kaga's house and force him to greenlight the translation...

I mean, I did send him an email about that once. That he probably ignored cuz it was in English. But oh well.

6 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I usually use Shura as well unless it's a pme/pmu

7 move staffer with thief Ultility is way too good

Yeah Niles is there, but Niles sucks ass

Shura's utility is through the roof. He has huge movement, can boost other units' movement, use staves, shoot things quite well, is decent with the shining bow, can thief, can debuff enemies with his personal... Other units wish they had this amount of versatility. It's honestly well worth kicking someone out for him, he does so much more than combat.

4 minutes ago, DodgeDusk said:

Friendship with Shrimp ended, now I am my own best friend.

I like both Niles and Shura. I will be the new Shrimpy.

4 minutes ago, Spara said:

I mean, I did send him an email about that once. That he probably ignored cuz it was in English. But oh well.

Oof...

Edited by Saint Rubenio

8 minutes ago, DodgeDusk said:

Friendship with Shrimp ended, now I am my own best friend.

hey friend

it was a pme

my hands were tied XD

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's honestly well worth kicking someone out for him, he does so much more than combat.

i never have enough good units for him to not take a slot anyway

4 minutes ago, DodgeDusk said:

What is your opinion of Effie, Ruben?

After consistently being some of the worst units in the entire series, the female armor knight class finally got a worthy member in Effie, who breaks the mold by being pretty close to godlike. She one-shots shit, takes little damage in return and overall, is the main frontliner for the entirety of Conquest's earlygame. She falls off a wee liiiil' bit later, but nothing too big. She can be used all game, no problem, she just becomes less centralizing as time goes on.

Low movement and meh speed are her only flaws, and this is the game where low movement is the least crippling, since she can just hop on someone else's back to get to where she needs to be.

And to top it all off, I like her design, dumb thigh window aside. One of my favs from Conquest, easily.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

i never have enough good units for him to not take a slot anyway

Doesn't the game give you a slot right after he joins, too? It's kinda like Izana. The game gives you an extra slot right after he joins, and at that point Izana is basically the only one who is worthy of it, which works out perfectly for the guy.

Alright, placed the relay dish at the Washington Monument. Now would be the time to backtrack... but first a stop at Underworld and get caught up in like two-three other quests before returning to GNR, heh.