Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Well the thing is, when your villains are basically just Nazis (Valkyria Chronicles takes place in a parallel Earth version of WW2), they kinda just automatically fall into the badly written section.

Nazis, huh... Well, that's a foolproof way to make a villain. But the greatest villains need not rely on such crutches.

See, Garon is brilliantly written because it's impossible to tell what he is. He's so badly written that he's an entity of his own. His affiliation is to evil itself, and his motivation is to appear as evil as possible at all times, even if it is detrimental to him and his established objectives. Garon is an extremely complex character with many ramifications to his personality. He believes rebellions are like seeds, a fact that is subtly conveyed to the audience through an ancient storytelling device known as "tell Corrin the analogy seven times in case they didn't hear it the first time." He is also evil and wants to destroy the world, another important and deep trait to his character that adds an incredible amount of layers to his backstory or something. The character arc that he undergoes is nothing short of genius, the way he develops from an evil caricature to an evil caricature T-posing on top of a throne. He is a master of deception and deceit, fooling his foolish children into believing he's just a bit sick, even though his skin is literally fucking grey and he delivers saturday morning cartoon villain speeches to anybody willing to listen. He also concocts a brilliant plan to get a bomb sword to the naive queen of Hoshido by having his child get captured by Hoshidans after Hans knocks Gunter off a bridge. He just knew that the Hoshidans wouldn't kill Corrin, or that Corrin wouldn't get away, or that Corrin wouldn't get killed in the scuffle or lose the sword or have the sword taken from them or literally any of the million things that could've gone wrong with his brilliant plan. However, Garon is not without compassion. Garon has a great love for his fellow man, a fact that he demonstrates by murdering Zola in Birthright for no reason and constantly threatening to "take care" of his most loyal subordinates even when they're still useful. Garon is a very expressive man, as evidenced by his smiley portrait and his tendency to T-pose when things are going his way or just when he's bored. Unfortunately, Garon dies in all routes of Fates, but even his send-offs are brilliant and deliver a worthy conclusion to such an excellent character. Particularly in Revelation, where he is absent for 12~ chapters and then warps in to say two lines and then get eaten by a face. All in all, Garon is a superbly written character that universities should analyze as an example of how to write a great villain for a comedy. No other FE character has made me laugh quite so hard.

...Where was I going with this?

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Anyways, there's like three decent-to-good villains in the series (well the games I played anyways) and all three aren't Nazis. One of them has enough gigachad energy that he is able to make his troops actually fireproof.

Ah, that does sound kinda cool, at least.

14 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Yeah, that was the plan. I’m not gonna try to sabotage myself with my clansmen or fighters or supplies or anything like that, because I don’t want to go so overboard that I can’t make it to the tower in time.

Nah, there should be no need to get clansmen killed, unless you get something silly like 30 days. Just pick options that waste time in the darkness.

12 minutes ago, Ghost_06_ said:

Who's the first?

Sylvis from Berwick Saga.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

• Replies 177.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Obviously, the solution is to go to the opposite end of the totalitarian spectrum and institute a Proletarian Revolution. -Or so my fanfict ideas have gone.

More likely given snippets of text in VC4, the next game is total change of scenery. From Belgians and Dutch in British service fighting Germano-Russians in the tundra, to WWII's Pacific theater. Good luck explaining the presence of titular Valkyrurs out there. America maybe b/c immigration from Scandinavia, but barring artificial Valkyria creation, what would the lore excuse be for Japanese ones?

Some went East? Some went north through the Arctic Ocean? Some who settled in Not!Spain who moved to Not!LatinAmerica but then went further west through Not!ManilaRoute to Not!Japan?

Archivo:Andres Urdaneta Tornaviaje.jpg - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

No problem. Try to remember though, I'd really like to see it. Now that you've seen my team, it's only fair!

Sorry, sorry! I was so busy with modding and other stuff i kinda put it on the shelf! I deeply apolgise for that.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Sorry, sorry! I was so busy with modding and other stuff i kinda put it on the shelf! I deeply apolgise for that.

No worries, no worries. Whenever you have a moment.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Some went East? Some went north through the Arctic Ocean? Some who settled in Not!Spain who moved to Not!LatinAmerica but then went further west through Not!ManilaRoute to Not!Japan?

Fair point. IRL Vikings could sail all the way to North America, magical video game lady Vikings with blue hair and laser lances could go further. It just felt a little like stretching things to me.

I cannot fucking believe that they just gave Eirika Ephraim's clothes.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

More likely given snippets of text in VC4, the next game is total change of scenery. From Belgians and Dutch in British service fighting Germano-Russians in the tundra, to WWII's Pacific theater. Good luck explaining the presence of titular Valkyrurs out there. America maybe b/c immigration from Scandinavia, but barring artificial Valkyria creation, what would the lore excuse be for Japanese ones?

I do wonder what the conflict here would be. VC's version of WW2 is exclusively focused on Europe, with America just sorta helping from the sidelines. It doesn't seem like Japan has a reason to side with the empire either. 

As for Valkyrurs in Japan, whose to say some didn't find their way there? A technologically advanced society like the Valkyrurs shouldn't have any trouble with that.

See, Garon is brilliantly written because it's impossible to tell what he is. He's so badly written that he's an entity of his own. His affiliation is to evil itself, and his motivation is to appear as evil as possible at all times, even if it is detrimental to him and his established objectives. Garon is an extremely complex character with many ramifications to his personality. He believes rebellions are like seeds, a fact that is subtly conveyed to the audience through an ancient storytelling device known as "tell Corrin the analogy seven times in case they didn't hear it the first time." He is also evil and wants to destroy the world, another important and deep trait to his character that adds an incredible amount of layers to his backstory or something. The character arc that he undergoes is nothing short of genius, the way he develops from an evil caricature to an evil caricature T-posing on top of a throne. He is a master of deception and deceit, fooling his foolish children into believing he's just a bit sick, even though his skin is literally fucking grey and he delivers saturday morning cartoon villain speeches to anybody willing to listen. He also concocts a brilliant plan to get a bomb sword to the naive queen of Hoshido by having his child get captured by Hoshidans after Hans knocks Gunter off a bridge. He just knew that the Hoshidans wouldn't kill Corrin, or that Corrin wouldn't get away, or that Corrin wouldn't get killed in the scuffle or lose the sword or have the sword taken from them or literally any of the million things that could've gone wrong with his brilliant plan. However, Garon is not without compassion. Garon has a great love for his fellow man, a fact that he demonstrates by murdering Zola in Birthright for no reason and constantly threatening to "take care" of his most loyal subordinates even when they're still useful. Garon is a very expressive man, as evidenced by his smiley portrait and his tendency to T-pose when things are going his way or just when he's bored. Unfortunately, Garon dies in all routes of Fates, but even his send-offs are brilliant and deliver a worthy conclusion to such an excellent character. Particularly in Revelation, where he is absent for 12~ chapters and then warps in to say two lines and then get eaten by a face. All in all, Garon is a superbly written character that universities should analyze as an example of how to write a great villain for a comedy. No other FE character has made me laugh quite so hard.

...Where was I going with this?

Garon is just FE Palpatine when you think about it.

Ah, that does sound kinda cool, at least.

latest.png?width=297&height=432

Klaus wears a trench coat. It's impossible for him to be not cool.

Also he has like a small side-beard there.

Also when i said he can make his troops fireproof, i mean literally, he basically just tells them to deal with it and they magically gain immunity to fire. I had to come up with a cheese strat for the map where he does that because that is a terrifying Order.

As for Byzantine Spain, it wasn't that significant.

440px-Byzantine_Spain_-_565-586.svg.png

Maybe 1/5th of the Iberian Peninsula. Visigothic Spain had internal turmoil at the time, and after Justinian and the end to the Visigothic civil warring, the bulge inland went goodbye. The province lasted, perhaps miraculously, for 70 years.

Still more than I was expecting, that's close to the amount held by the Emirate of Granada when the ERE fell (I had to look up to make sure I got the right nation, sorry.).

Basil II had been born royal and was something of a hedonist into his late-20s. But once his two successful elder co-emperors had both passed on, internal conflict over who controlled the puppet monarch ended with him taking control of the government himself. And once he did, he would have no palace intrigue, he never married, possibly thinking a wife would be a reservoir of conspiracy theories. Basil II was suspicious of letting any successful general or civil administrator amass too much power. He tried to curtail the growth of a wealthy and powerful elite of large landowners like his predecessors, and it seems to have worked -for now. Basil II was cruel and he was vengeful, but not rendered foolish with rage.

That's certainly a way of minimising chances of a coup. The question is how well any successors did. Which of course considering this is before Manzikert, yeah there was definitely worse to come.

Happened to see Shazam this evening. It's a very good movie you'd expect to see on a Saturday evening for the kids. It's not as much of a compliment as you'd expect.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

latest.png?width=297&height=432

Alright there Soulmates

Let's dance

Well the thing is, when your villains are basically just Nazis

Is that your way of saying Real Life is badly written?

Edited by Shrimperor

39 minutes ago, Ghost_06_ said:

I cannot fucking believe that they just gave Eirika Ephraim's clothes.

Haha, this was kinda my reaction. I would have just preffered another version of her OG art, but oh well.

I'm reminded of that joke Ephraim once makes that Eirika could just wear his clothes and fool everyone since she's small-chested (JP script) thin-looking. At least, I think that's how it went.

I’ve finished the stuff at Boesrgard, and I actually saw a bit of content I didn’t last time. The first thing I did was put Krumr in charge of the wall, where he showed everyone techniques that decreased my loss of fighters per day, which was nice. After that I looked through the city for people willing to sell supplies and got nothing, but the next day Oddleif got a secret note telling her to meet someone in a secret back alley for food, which I accepted because I am good at choice based games (this was the new content). It was some guy who had a special horn from great-grandfather stolen, and he was offering a ton of food for us to get it back so Rook and Oddleif went to the house where he said it was. I had Rook boost Oddleif up on top of the roof where I let her infiltrate the building through a whole in said roof. She opened the door for Rook with five/six guys knocked out inside because Oddleif is just that awesome, and they grabbed the horn and left. I could either keep the horn or trade it away for food, so I looked up its stats and it would have been good earlier, but it’s not really necessary ar this point in the game (+2 strength and +1 willpower per turn) since Banner Saga 2 will give me better items. The guy said we would know have a good price at the market and left. The market, which before has 16 supplies for sale at 1 renown each now had 224 total with 8 supplies per 1 renown. I doubled the supplies I got in Boersgard in my first play through with a little under half my renown, and after Hakon’s group showed up I have 54 days worth of supplies and 61 renown (it was 71 but I spent 10 promoting Rook). I initially headed over to the docks because I didn’t do that in my first play through, but after realizing it was pretty much a nothing event (both before and during the riots) I reset and stuck everyone in abandoned houses while appointing leaders for each, which got me ten renown and didn’t lose anyone, in between appointing Krumr and doing the task for the horn. I gave Rook the task of shooting the silver arrow so now it’s time to finish the game (maybe after dinner, not sure). The scene where you choose who gets to shoot the arrow is really good, I don’t if I picked up on that in my first play through but Alette’s character arc is really well handled, especially here. 

Spoiler

It’s a little hard to watch knowing what happens, though.

Edited by Sooks

Screenshot_5714.png

Capitalism

Screenshot_5733.png

Screenshot_5734.png

Screenshot_5735.png

Screenshot_5736.png

Screenshot_5737.png

Screenshot_5738.png

Haven't posted battle interactions in a while.

Screenshot_5741.png

Screenshot_5742.png

Sheath really is an American weeb.

Screenshot_5748.png

Screenshot_5749.png

Screenshot_5750.png

Horny.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

Is that your way of saying Real Life is badly written?

I personally think the season finale of the dinosaur arc was handled very poorly. I mean, a random rock from space? Lol.

17 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I personally think the season finale of the dinosaur arc was handled very poorly. I mean, a random rock from space? Lol.

At least the random rock from space was believable. It’ll these people are acting so extremely stupidly and if we’re really supposed to believe that’s totally normal and unquestionable, how is humanity still going? It would have been much more believable if the arc ended a couple decades ago, what’s even happening anymore?

Though I would love a happy ending this time, screw quality writing.

IMG_20210816_210529.jpg

Well it's finally here, thanks to my best friend selling me this. He threw in FF7R and DMC5 as a free late birthday gift too.

Haha there's a bit of irony in me getting FF7R after how much I bitched about Nomura.

57 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Though I would love a happy ending this time, screw quality writing.

Happy endings > sad/bittersweet ones.

Always.

I would actually take a happy ending even if the story quality suffers a bit as a result.

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Well it's finally here, thanks to my best friend selling me this. He threw in FF7R and DMC5 as a free late birthday gift too.

Make sure to play Skylight Freerange 2: Gachduine! It's the best game on PS4.

Hooo, what a day...

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Happy endings > sad/bittersweet ones.

Always.

I would actually take a happy ending even if the story quality suffers a bit as a result.

I’d normally agree with you, but not because I just prefer them by their own nature. The thing is, it’s a lot easier to write a decent to good happy ending then it is to write a decent to good sad/bittersweet ending. You can basic write “and the bad guy died and they all lived happily ever after” stretched out and no one would really bat an eye, but its a lot harder to pull off something where things don’t wholly go in favor of the main character(s) without leaving the ending just feeling unsatisfying. It can be done, but it has to be handled a lot more carefully.

Though I was more saying that because real life. I mean, this could be a simulation or something (in which case hello, audience! I’m breaking the 4th wall, haha funny) but it’s still our existence so I would like things to turn out nicely.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Is everything okay?

Yeah, just a very long and disheartening day. I'll be fine, though, thanks for asking!