• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

11 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Yeah but they cut a lot of the fluff and the pacing is much, much better without switching routes all the time. So far, at least, it doesn’t feel like anything major is missing.

Nothing major, but stuff like Mayushii's Friends, Amane, Russian World line, Reyes etc. Were more skipped over or done fast.

Not grand in the major theme of things, but if you don't have the info from the VN (like you do atm) it can feel like stuff is missing or some unanswered questions are left

Edited by Shrimpolaris

22 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Don't worry much of forming a backlog. Now that I have a job my free time took a dive, so chapters will be coming even slower than they already are.

Now that I am a NEET my free time has increased , so I can read chapters even faster!

23 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Gundam The Origin is best Gundam since it makes Amuro grow up in Baja California.

The novel is the best Gundam because Amuro grows up to become a man

https://i.imgur.com/3N1q0LW.jpg

Seriously though, 00 is the best Gundam.

38 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Nothing major, but stuff like Mayushii's Friends, Amane, Russian World line, Reyes etc. Were more skipped over or done fast.

The VN did nothing with the bolded.

…Well okay, it did some stuff with Reyes, but I’m not far enough to know what was cut and I doubt they cut her main involvement in the plot, since she still shows up at least.

38 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Not grand in the major theme of things, but if you don't have the info from the VN (like you do atm) it can feel like stuff is missing or some unanswered questions are left

Well. That’s ironic.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Surely they couldn't miss the mark that badly, could they?

Do not underestimate Twitter's ability to be stupid.

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

Isn’t tree turtle only like 7 feet?

Yeah but in the Detective Pikachu movie, they got turned into kaiju.

2 hours ago, Awakened_06_ said:

Since this game will follow the style of Legends Arceus, I hope they have time to polish the new formula.

And it being open-world (seamless too based on the description), there's no doubt that Monolith Soft is gonna be involved, probably more involved than they were with Legends. Which is good because they get to flex again how hard they're carrying Nintendo.

The graphics are nice, keep it up in the final product (lol).

It does look nicer than any Pokemon game on the Switch. Like it actually feels like it's running on the Switch as opposed to being an upscaled 3DS game.

That being said, post-Ryza Atelier is still somehow better looking

IMG_20220227_200135.jpg?width=768&height

IMG_20220227_200133.jpg?width=768&height

IMG_20220227_200131.jpg?width=768&height

IMG_20220227_192923.jpg?width=768&height

IMG_20220227_192921.jpg?width=768&height

So, what did I miss besides Eltosian's nuzlocke?

I won the Guinness World Record for biggest popoff when Xenoblade 3 was announced lol.

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Tell me I’m not the only one who thought it was a fox this whole time.

I did call it green Rockruff so you aren't alone lmao.

28 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Aw hell yeah desert banger. Can't wait to get there.

Back from the Brooklyn Museum! That's another off my list. 😄

Some good New York bagels (everything & egg) beforehand and some delicious bakery goods (a tres leche cupcake, and a slice of chocolate layer cake SMH they didn't label it "Brooklyn Blackout" I've yet to eat) bookended the visit.

First floor was contemporary art, which is hit or miss for me. But the exhibition of artworks focused on the challenges of the recent year of 2020 was interesting on the whole. The skateboards with Islamic prayer rug designs were a fun standout.:

2010.67_view4_PS4.jpg

Second floor...

68.185.8_PS2.jpg

Buddha!☸️ "Arts of Asia"- mostly East and Southeast.

I have a sweet tooth for Asian art. And the first thing exhibited as soon as I got up the stairs being Buddhist art made me smiling with sublime delight beneath the face mask, I took time and carefully read all the artwork descriptions. I'm at this stage with Buddhist art where I can identify some of the iconography without reading a label, but much of it is "oh, I knew that subconsciously" -but I don't recognize it right away without assistance. This I could totally recognize though:

37.129_front_PS11.jpg

...Shitennoh! -Well "Lokapala", same thing, different language, Four Heavenly Kings all the same. The colors are a little incongruous, but who am I to judge the fashion sense of one of the Guardians of the Four Directions who wrathfully pound the shit out of evil and uphold the sacred dharma? The description couldn't identify which of Zouchouten, Koumokuten, Jikokuten and Bishamoten this was though. -I love seeing things video games well, just SMT have taught me in artwork.😆

There was non-Buddhist artwork as well, including a few objects from the Ainu ethnic group of Japan's northern island (Hokkaido). I liked seeing that stuff b/c the Ainu are usually culturally ignored internationally, and, as the collection mentioned, there are less than one-thousand speakers of the Ainu language left. Japan itself has been slow to acknowledge their cultural plight.😐 Besides Japan (from preliterate Japan to contemporary Japan, the "Himalayan" stuff wasn't on view this time, and the Islamic art galleries won't finish renovations until this autumn, but China (from pre-dynastic to at least Ming I think), Korea, and Southeast Asia in general were all on display.

Fourth floor was mostly interior design from like 1880 to the modern day, furniture and whatnot. A tad dull. The COVID photograph memorial was a touch of somberness. And lastly, as I knew well coming here...

2002.10_DWoodman_2018_DSC01906.jpg

...Judy Chicago's The Dinner Party. Arguably the world's most famous piece of feminist artwork. A triangle of long tables with placemats, on each of which is written the name of a famous woman from the breadth of human history, from "Primordial Goddess", to the Medieval nun and well-rounded intellectual Hildegarde of Bingen, and the author Mary Shelley. All the magnificent plates on the table having adorned with colorful images such as butterflies resembling vulvas (b/c feminist of course). Totally worth seeing (and I don't blame the artist's lack of international knowledge (this was made in the 1970s -no Internet), but some famed females from beyond the US-Europe-Ancient Mediterranean & Near East would've made it even better).

Third floor had some Assyrian reliefs of divine winged beings (apkallu) taken like a century ago from a royal palace whose archaeological site was destroyed by ISIS. It was otherwise all ancient Egyptian art here, from as early as 3800 BC to the end in the Ptolemaic & Roman periods. The Brooklyn Museum didn't import parts of a temple like the Metropolitan Museum of Art did in nearby Manhattan, but the breadth of the collection was still very impressive. -My fellow museum attendees were kinda grossed out when I explained canopic jars to them.

I almost skipped the 5th floor. My feet were in agony at this point, my senses were nearly drained of their art appreciation capacities, and breathing into my face mask all the time overheated me. But, I forced myself to see the 5th, minus the Andy Warhol exhibit I didn't buy tickets and didn't want to see anyhow. I blitzed through the Art of the Americas (indigenous and US alike), and the 1800s-1900s European art collection. I felt sorry for the Monet, Cezanne, Seurat and other pretty artworks I only glanced at. -This kind of fatigue almost always happens with museums. This said, I did take notice of this:

main-image

"Theseus Slaying the Minotaur"? I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure this is just foreplay with a dagger.😋

Finishing off the fifth floor with a stop in the "visible storage room" that gives a tantalizing taste of how much art can't be displayed for all that you can see, I was done. After, oh, 2 & 1/2 hours, it was time to leave. Twas worth seeing the Brooklyn Museum. Akin to the Metropolitan Museum of Art across the river, in that the scope of its collections are quite broad. Yet the Brooklyn isn't as massive or as diverse, which isn't a bad thing, as the Met is too big, you can't possibly truly savor everything on display at the Met in a single visit, you'll be left as motionless as a marble sculpture if you try. The Brooklyn is charming, and adjacent to the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens if you want to murder your soles with pottery and petunias.  

And there, done with my day's summary.😊

47 minutes ago, Benice said:

pls localize Ishin, RGG

>released in 2014

It's over, Benice...

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

And it being open-world (seamless too based on the description), there's no doubt that Monolith Soft is gonna be involved, probably more involved than they were with Legends. Which is good because they get to flex again how hard they're carrying Nintendo.

Oh well, the more help Game Freak has, the better. What is Monolith Soft again?

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That being said, post-Ryza Atelier is still somehow better looking

IMG_20220227_192923.jpg?width=768&height

Is this running on Switch?

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I won the Guinness World Record for biggest popoff when Xenoblade 3 was announced lol.

Oh yeah, Rean's new design looks sick

kmHdfeE.png

1 minute ago, Awakened_06_ said:

released in 2014

It's over, Benice...

Hey, back then, Yakuzas 3, 4 and 5 barely made it overseas: 5 even took three full years! The series is much more popular now, and it's already an incredible, fully fleshed-out game. Granted, localization of it would be really hard, but it is possible.

...This is what copium is, isn't it.

4 hours ago, Dayni said:

Unova.

Of them, the Pidove > Tranquil > Unfezant line could be argued (mostly the pheasant final form), but those aren't particularly unique last I checked, ditto for Ducklett > Swanna for swans or Meinfoo > Meinshao as ermines (ermines being there for a long time, though the swans were introduced species I'd bet they weren't brought in from there), and Bulbapedia argues Alomomola may have some inspiration from Claddagh rings of all things.

So not really, no. Certainly nothing specific. And I wouldn't be so surprised, fauna wise it's not like there's that much specific to there. I'd look at the list of them, there's an eclectic mix in that gen.

Curious. New York owes a lot to it's Irish immigrants so more Irish inspired Pokemon would make sense.

On the topic of Pokemon, every so often I think about how Pokemon is the highest grossing media franchise of all time. Pokemon is the most hit-or-miss franchise in Nintendo's line up, how'd it get so popular? I know most of the revenue is coming from merchandise and the like but it's still curious how it got that way.

Explored more in Elden Ring. Threw myself at two bosses over and over again to no avail.

Guess some grinding is in order.

Ngl, I love a good challenge, but the difficulty being this present so early on isn't giving me hope of my chances of making good progress any time soon.

I knew Soulsborne was brutal, but uh, yeah. This is rough.

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Explored more in Elden Ring. Threw myself at two bosses over and over again to no avail.

Which ones?

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

knew Soulsborne was brutal, but uh, yeah. This is rough.

As a bit of general advice, Glinstone Sorceries will probably make things a lot easier if you're having issues. I don't know if you've found the merchant for 'em yet, but I can advise looking into that. (Apparently the Incantation/Faith spells are really strong in this game, but I wouldn't know for sure.) Alternatively, you can explore for new equipment, upgrade materials or Ashes of War; powerlevelling generally isn't super fruitful in these games*, but better equipment can make a big difference. Furthermore, even though it can certainly be tricky, I would generally advise sticking to fewer stats to new players; focusing mostly on Dex, Vigor and Endurance, for example. It's not a crisis at all if you haven't done that and ER might be different from the other games in this regard, but it's something worth considering.

*Levelling up a bunch of HP could work well, though.

It's nice how Trails in the Sky SC's endgame party members are among the first characters you get in the 3rd (and also Tita as she's the subject of Moon Door 1), since you barely got to use them in the previous game. I was expecting Joshua to join much later than he did (and with Estelle, for that matter), but he was absent for half of the last game so it makes some sense that he'd join fairly early.

33 minutes ago, Armagon said:

And it being open-world (seamless too based on the description), there's no doubt that Monolith Soft is gonna be involved, probably more involved than they were with Legends.

Technically any involvement would be more involved than they were with Legends, since they had nothing to do with that game.

9 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Curious. New York owes a lot to it's Irish immigrants so more Irish inspired Pokemon would make sense.

Unova barely has any American-inspired Pokémon, much less Irish inspired. Properly representing cultures might slightly be one of GF's priorities now but certainly wasn't when BW were made; New York being a "melting pot" seems to have been an excuse to add whatever they wanted. New York isn't known for its Three Musketeers, Japanese gods, and yin-yang dragon legendaries after all. Sableye is more American than the majority of Unova Pokémon as a matter of fact, being inspired by the Hopkinsville Goblin. I'd like to get a Mothman Pokémon one day...

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

Which ones?

Spoiler

Margit and Tree Sentinel. Spoiling bc idk who considers knowing the bosses a spoiler just in case.

4 minutes ago, Benice said:

As a bit of general advice, Glinstone Sorceries will probably make things a lot easier if you're having issues. I don't know if you've found the merchant for 'em yet, but I can advise looking into that.

I can't remember if I've found them yet, but I'll keep that in mind.

5 minutes ago, Benice said:

Alternatively, you can explore for new equipment, upgrade materials or Ashes of War;

I did get a really good shield, though I'll need to upgrade my stamina more to make better use of it.

Probably could afford to gather more materials and ashes of war though.

6 minutes ago, Benice said:

powerlevelling generally isn't super fruitful in these games*, but better equipment can make a big difference. Furthermore, even though it can certainly be tricky, I would generally advise sticking to fewer stats to new players; focusing mostly on Dex, Vigor and Endurance, for example. It's not a crisis at all if you haven't done that and ER might be different from the other games in this regard, but it's something worth considering.

*Levelling up a bunch of HP could work well, though.

I see. Thanks much, guess I'll just keep at it until I get a better sense of things.

Also, note to self. Do not attack NPC merchants. Once they're an enemy, resting at save points does not make them reset.

RIP that one merchant who hates me now. :')

45 minutes ago, Awakened_06_ said:

What is Monolith Soft again?

This is slander.

45 minutes ago, Awakened_06_ said:

Is this running on Switch?

Yes and performance mode was also turned on when i took that screenshot. Quality mode looks nicer and honestly doesn't seem to have any noticable drawbacks so i'm going with that from now on.

35 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Pokemon is the most hit-or-miss franchise in Nintendo's line up, how'd it get so popular?

It wasn't always hit-or-miss.

34 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I knew Soulsborne was brutal, but uh, yeah. This is rough.

Soulsborne difficulty also comes from FromSoft's allergic reactions to checkpoints. Something Elden Ring is actually nice about from what i hear.

17 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Technically any involvement would be more involved than they were with Legends, since they had nothing to do with that game

Oh.

43 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

On the topic of Pokemon, every so often I think about how Pokemon is the highest grossing media franchise of all time. Pokemon is the most hit-or-miss franchise in Nintendo's line up, how'd it get so popular? I know most of the revenue is coming from merchandise and the like but it's still curious how it got that way.

https://www.well-played.com.au/brief-history-pokemania/

23 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Why did you attack an innocent merchant?🤨

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This is slander.

I'm asking a sincere question.

15 minutes ago, Awakened_06_ said:

I'm asking a sincere question.

Honest to God i thought you were just making a jab. So the quick rundown is that Monolith Soft was founded by Tetsuya Takahashi and other Xenogears devs after Square Enix (back when they were Squaresoft) cucked them from making a Xenogears 2 because they wanted more Final Fantasy instead (as a side note, when Takahashi pitched Xenogears, it was originally intended to be FF7 but Square said it was "too dark" (lmao) but they allowed it to be it's own game instead). Also the fallout from The Spirits Within was involved. Anyways Monolith Soft was formed and they were originally owned by Namco, where they primarily made Xenosaga and Baten Kaitos, along with a crossover franchise in Namco x Capcom, which continued into 2015 under the Project X Zone series.

In 2006, Nintendo purchased Monolith Soft from Namco and this would turn out to be the best decision they've ever made because Monolith Soft has provided so much support to various big Nintendo games. Monolith Soft also made it's own series, Xenoblade, which i'm sure you're at least familiar with. Xenoblade's expansive worlds has cemented Monolith Soft as an expert in the field and if you ask me, no other dev comes even close. Heck, even among Xenoblade, Xenoblade X's world is in a league of it's own. Their expertise in that is what led to them working on Breath of the Wild's world design.

The best part: Monolith Soft is one of the best places to work at in a country so obssesed with work. Working conditions there are pristine as they can be.

As a side note, just something humorous but TGA posted this

20220227_214132.jpg

And it was pretty blatantly trying to farm FromSoft replies because Elden Ring dropped the day prior and that's the big game right now.

90% of the replies and QRTs responded with Monolith Soft instead, completely backfiring the tweet's intention. Twitter is a funny place.

Edited by Armagon

23 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:
Spoiler

Margit

Oh yeah, he's a toughie. If you want my suggestions, I'll put 'em here in the spoiler, but feel free to ignore 'em.

Spoiler

My advice on this one is learning when to block and when to roll; you get tons of i-frames in these games via rolling, so it is a good idea to become skilled at them over time, but shields can certainly work too. Margit's moveset isn't too big, so it's pretty easy to divide his attacks into two categories: The fast attacks, which you should block, and heavy attacks, which should be rolled through. There's also the hammer attack he has, but that one just comes down to running away and holding up your shield. He also has a couple of really punishable attacks; the big jumpy one where he tries to stab you and his big, wide swings are the easiest to capitalize on. The jump one in particular is really easy to dodge, since the hitbox is surprisingly small and getting behind Margit for several hits is quite easy.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can get a crit on Margit; perhaps consider using charged or jumping R2s on him during the smaller windows of damage until he staggers and you can get huge damage by hitting his head.  Finally, if you haven't yet done so, head back to Kalé at night. There'll be an NPC there who will give you a bell; this allows you to summon monsters to fight for you during major battles; there's also the sad lady on the way to Stormvale who gives you a summon if you speak to her. I don't know if the one she gives you works better on Margit, but it should make a huge difference for helping.

As for the Tree Sentinel... I've got nothing, I simply haven't figured out what to do for them yet. However, regarding the spirit summons, they can be summoned when you're fighting this right old Johnny.

30 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Also, note to self. Do not attack NPC merchants. Once they're an enemy, resting at save points does not make them reset.

Frick, I should have told you that.

By the way, most Souls games have a character who can pardon your sins and therefore get rid of aggro on NPCs. I don't know if Elden Ring does, but if you do end up drawing someone's ire, you don't have to kill 'em.

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Soulsborne difficulty also comes from FromSoft's allergic reactions to checkpoints. Something Elden Ring is actually nice about from what i hear.

Sekiro and ER are better for this, yea. Sekiro even gives you one right next to every boss in the game.

Though I wouldn't say they're hard because of allergic reactions to checkpoints; DS1 only has three obnoxiously long segments without bonfires, we don't talk about DS2*, and from what I've played of 3, it's not too bad in this regard either, even if it's a bit of a step for a couple of 'em.

*There is one segment where you have a literal five minute run in one direction towards a fairly difficult boss. There are also lots of powerful enemies who show up from offscreen and can very easily kill you. And right before the boss fight, there are, like, four of them all bunched together HYAYAHDHGCFT BHJKN

Oh, and you can't see anything at all, so it's extremely easy to just walk the wrong direction.

Seriously, this is the speedrun of it.

As I was saying...

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

Though I wouldn't say they're hard because of allergic reactions to checkpoints; DS1 only has three obnoxiously long segments without bonfires, we don't talk about DS2*, and from what I've played of 3, it's not too bad in this regard either, even if it's a bit of a step for a couple of 'em.

I mean i guess it does vary by skill level too. I remember my friend who streamed a blind playthrough of Bloodborne a few days ago and he was like "FromSoft may i please have a checkpoint in these trying times".

Ugh, humans weren't made to eat 13-layer (7 cake & 6 filling + icing) chocolate cake in one sitting.🤢 And learning of elevated concerns of potential nuclear war do nothing to ease my stomach, not at all.😨😰😱

I'm begging that something like this would hopefully brings at least talk of denuclearization again. Since a scare like this can't be good for anyone's nerves. -Iran is probably not going to care and join the doomsday club anyway though.

---

And for the Pokemon talk I see I've missed. I'll merely say that as a child, the generations felt very long to me. As an adult who has politely departed from the franchise, generations feel too short.

13 hours ago, Armagon said:

It's cause i haven't played but aside from Jack Frost, i just assumed Persona and SMT had their own set of unique summonables.

Persona does give each playable character a unique starting persona and a unique ultimate persona. In addition to major bosses being totally original as well, and usually some lesser enemies that aren't quite so mythological.

SMT always adds a couple handfuls of new demon designs in every game. Not as many as Pokemon adds in new 'mons and regional forms, but then new demons aren't exactly a huge attraction like new Pokemon are. 

13 hours ago, Armagon said:

Thanks for the trivia btw 👍.

No problem, I'm the SMT encyclopedia here. I don't know everything and haven't played all the games, but I try to be knowledgeable.

6 hours ago, Dayni said:

There's one error: the Irish are translucent /s

0e2ec6533cefc79177a9ba91ebf52edb.jpg

So you're the IRL mini-Metroid Prime?

glass-frog-580.jpg

Or is this you?

3 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

bTWKLtH.png

we could use this as a template for Teehee memes

*Sigh* I pray the ladies don't torment the MC to the end. I shall bestow on him all my pity.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6462/

SRW W finally fan translated. Nice.

Alpha when!?

Excellen-t.😃

Glad to see another SRW title brought into English. I'm interested in seeing how busted Valzacard is as I've said before. But 30 and possibly A Portable will have to come before I try W. -None of which can be done until I finish OGs provided an ICBM doesn't kill me first.