Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Metroid Zero Mission is really fun, but it has that one problem that all adventure games have which is that it's really hard to look up walkthroughs for the game without spoiling future segments. It's hard to tell if I'm stuck because I just missed something or because I missed an entire item in a completely different area.

To be fair this game has had nothing of the latter so far but it does make me anxious whenever I don't see an immediate solution.

Otherwise it's a really fun game and I am glad to have picked it up. It's cool to see Samus in action as well.

15 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...FUCK I'm buying FE on release date again aren't I.

Well while you folks are playing and discussing Engage I'll make sure to post updates about my trip in Guatemala alongside the...probably Radiant Dawn playthrough.

Speaking of which, I might try to aim and beat PoR right on Christmas Eve, wont that be fun!

• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

21 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Metroid Zero Mission is really fun

Glad you're enjoying it!

Well while you folks are playing and discussing Engage I'll make sure to post updates about my trip in Guatemala alongside the...probably Radiant Dawn playthrough.

Please, do. We'll be sure to utilize spoiler boxes to great effect.

Speaking of which, I might try to aim and beat PoR right on Christmas Eve, wont that be fun!

PoR does indeed have an ending.

Oh he's a chef too. So he's Lowen with a boring haircut.

Meh.

22 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

They look so uncomfortable sitting next to their time and space warping overlord. Not that I blame them. Displease him and you risk getting turned into meatshield. There are only so many deployment slots, after all.

hqdefault.jpg

Time and space warping overlord? Is this supposed to be a dig on the turnwheel returning? Because going by the marketing (or lack thereof, in this case) it really seems like the time traveling is just going to be a gameplay mechanic with no story presence, just like the turnwheel. Or do you also knock Alm and Celica for being timelords?

Anyway, yes. I would sacrifice both of them in a heartbeat. Generic pegasus girl and frilly princess? Just give me a reason.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

The second Christmas Ninty indie video came out.

First game is a stylised world with a gecko running and climbing around to explore ruins, while fighting and solving puzzles called The Gecko Gods, out next year. Then The Captain kinda looks like it's FTL, but there's more direct planet exploration and fighting, I don't get a good sense of how it plays from this but it's out today. Risk of Rain Returns get s a confirmed Switch version for next year, but this footage is all cutscene, so it's probably later. Last title is called The Punchuin, a pixellated side scroller where you play a penguin with boxing gloves and it turns out it's a match three puzzle game where you punch blocks into place with some minigames. It also out today, which is kind of fitting I guess.

Of these I'd say Gecko Gods interested me the most but The Punchuin certainly could surprise me.

2 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

You're reminding me of when I was finishing up RD as 3H came out.

Talking about a different game as the new one came out is a bold strategy.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Please, do. We'll be sure to utilize spoiler boxes to great effect.

So I won't have to dip right?

Right?

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I think Bunet wins my award for least interesting-looking character in Engage. He's just... There. Slightly noble looking paladin dude. Probably honorable. He exists.

Bunet looks like he'd fit right into a dating sim set in a royal academy.

• “There are only two playable characters (Adol and the axe girl). That being said, the action is dense and there are all sorts of things you can do.”

Hmm... One-handed sword and one-handed axe is a little boring if we're sticking to just two. Alternate weapons or forms or something?

About 20 percent of the game is sailing your ship. There are maps dedicated to ship and naval battles occur when you encounter enemies. There is also a growth (i.e. character development) element to the ship.”

I shall count things down to the minute.⏲️ Although it's not necessarily the amount of time that matters, as it is how much of a chore the gimmick is. Pls don't repeat the Grimwald Nox's level of unfun.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

As for the rest... Yeah, that's a lot better. Not my personal cup of tea at all, and I do still feel the people in the school uniforms specifically feel rather generic, but those aside they're a lot more imaginative.

And that's fine!😃

I don't even know what a Vanillaware is supposed to be

Smaller Japanese developer (apparently they number ~30) formed during the PS2 era, led by George Kamitani. Their games are always hand-drawn in their signature art style.

• The genre of their titles varies, Odin Sphere, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, and Dragon's Crown are hack n' slash action games; GrimGrimoire and 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim are both real-time strategy, while Grand Knights History was a turn-based JRPG.
  • Level of plot varies from nearly nonexistent- Grand Knights History for example, to moderate- Odin Sphere, to heavy- 13 Sentinels (which is considered a visual novel too).
  • Despite being 20 years old, their output isn't particularly prolific, the above six games are basically all they've made. (Princess Crown was also developed by Vanillaware's staff, before they left Sega and formed their own company.)

-Just providing a description!😀

One of my bosses is retiring today.

I just witnessed him dressing up as Freddy Mercury and going around the place singing I Want To Break Free.

If Engage wasn't coming out next month I think I could die content right now.

24 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

This isn't TRS, where they all share the same base body! XD

Hah! True enough.

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Smaller Japanese developer (apparently they number ~30) formed during the PS2 era, led by George Kamitani. Their games are always hand-drawn in their signature art style.

• The genre of their titles varies, Odin Sphere, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, and Dragon's Crown are hack n' slash action games; GrimGrimoire and 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim are both real-time strategy, while Grand Knights History was a turn-based JRPG.
  • Level of plot varies from nearly nonexistent- Grand Knights History for example, to moderate- Odin Sphere, to heavy- 13 Sentinels (which is considered a visual novel too).
  • Despite being 20 years old, their output isn't particularly prolific, the above six games are basically all they've made. (Princess Crown was also developed by Vanillaware's staff, before they left Sega and formed their own company.)

-Just providing a description!😀

Thanks for the info!

13 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

This isn't TRS, where they all share the same base body! XD

That's actually the only thing I can think of that compares to how interchangeable all the female characters have been so far. They look like they all have the same face and expression.

The TRS case does still befuddle me. Because it's not like it was an actual copy & paste job. The linework is completely different. And even as is, there are like a million unused portraits in the game they could have used instead.
My best guess is that they were all concepts meant for the same character that someone liked so much that they decided to use all of them.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Time and space warping overlord? Is this supposed to be a dig on the turnwheel returning? Because going by the marketing (or lack thereof, in this case) it really seems like the time traveling is just going to be a gameplay mechanic with no story presence, just like the turnwheel. Or do you also knock Alm and Celica for being timelords?

According to the always reliable information source known as tvtropes, Byleth does use his time powers several times during cutscenes. So since they went out of their way to emphasize Byleth's virtual omnipotence, I expect them to do the same here.

But even if that were not the case, if they decide to take the Undertale approach by making the ability to save and load an explicit ability of the main character, they have to take into account how the way they use that godlike power reflects on them.

I don't even know what a Vanillaware is supposed to be.

That's fair but since Vanillaware games all more or less have the same artstyle cause it's drawn by the same guy, i had to save you since you did say the artstyle was "unimaginative" (and i know you were referring to the Dragon's Crown characters specifically but i had to step in).

and I do still feel the people in the school uniforms specifically feel rather generic

Oh no, i do agree. But it says a lot when even the visually blandest game in Vanillaware's library still looks very good.

Scarier is to gradually suffer grievous deformations due to not going to the dentist.

Me who lives in America and my health insurance plan doesn't cover dental.

5 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Metroid Zero Mission is really fun, but it has that one problem that all adventure games have which is that it's really hard to look up walkthroughs for the game without spoiling future segments. It's hard to tell if I'm stuck because I just missed something or because I missed an entire item in a completely different area.

Hate to rain on the parade but you'll probably be doing this a lot for Super Metroid. And Prime 1 and maybe to a lesser extent, Prime 2.

My hot take that Super Metroid is the weakest 2D Metroid is specifically because the game doesn't tell you shit. And then i feel Prime 1 is the worst game in the series (it's not Other M, shocking, i know) because it has the Super Metroid problem while also being slow as shit (and it even misleads you one time).

The other Metroid games though, you should be fine.

19 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

About 20 percent of the game is sailing your ship. There are maps dedicated to ship and naval battles occur when you encounter enemies. There is also a growth (i.e. character development) element to the ship.”

I was joking before but wow, it really is Wind Waker.

They confirmed the reason the game was set earlier in the timeline was because it'd be launching on the Switch the same day as the rest and "the Switch's younger audience means we made Adol younger" and that feels like such an arbitrary reason. Let's hope the narrative doesn't suffer for it.

57 minutes ago, Armagon said:

My hot take that Super Metroid is the weakest 2D Metroid is specifically because the game doesn't tell you shit. And then i feel Prime 1 is the worst game in the series (it's not Other M, shocking, i know) because it has the Super Metroid problem while also being slow as shit (and it even misleads you one time).

The other Metroid games though, you should be fine.

Specially Metroid Fusion.

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

That's actually the only thing I can think of that compares to how interchangeable all the female characters have been so far. They look like they all have the same face and expression.

*insert FE10 Hel and Death portraits here*

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

They confirmed the reason the game was set earlier in the timeline was because it'd be launching on the Switch the same day as the rest and "the Switch's younger audience means we made Adol younger" and that feels like such an arbitrary reason.

3ca5941ae26bbba00b34da712d0ec797e8cd0c0a

Let's hope the narrative doesn't suffer for it.

The last time Falcom did that "For younger peeps" thing was for....CS

UGH

NO

My best guess is that they were all concepts meant for the same character that someone liked so much that they decided to use all of them.

Likely Kaga.

According to the always reliable information source known as tvtropes, Byleth does use his time powers several times during cutscenes. So since they went out of their way to emphasize Byleth's virtual omnipotence, I expect them to do the same here.

But even if that were not the case, if they decide to take the Undertale approach by making the ability to save and load an explicit ability of the main character, they have to take into account how the way they use that godlike power reflects on them.

I... really think it's just going to be the turnwheel again. They'll explain and handwave it in one little cutscene and it will never be mentioned again. It's not been marketed in the slightest the way divine pulse was, they just released a twit saying "hey this exists again" and that's it.

That's fair but since Vanillaware games all more or less have the same artstyle cause it's drawn by the same guy, i had to save you since you did say the artstyle was "unimaginative" (and i know you were referring to the Dragon's Crown characters specifically but i had to step in).

Well, thanks for the save!

Oh no, i do agree. But it says a lot when even the visually blandest game in Vanillaware's library still looks very good.

Oh yeah, the art is competent, and no doubt. I suppose there's only so much you can do to differentiate characters when they are all stuck with school uniforms and you're trying to keep things semi-realistic. That twirly hairdo was the most out-there thing among them haha.

Me who lives in America and my health insurance plan doesn't cover dental.

O O F

Burgerland moment.

I’m going to the dentist now… At least I’ve got my Ike plushie to keep me company…

Anyways, since I probably be talking about, you know, games, I was thinking about what GBA and DS games I should buy next… But I should also probably finish Golden Sun 2 first. Decisions, decisions…

5 minutes ago, Hectorcopter said:

I’m going to the dentist now… At least I’ve got my Ike plushie to keep me company…

Anyways, since I probably be talking about, you know, games, I was thinking about what GBA and DS games I should buy next… But I should also probably finish Golden Sun 2 first. Decisions, decisions…

Buy Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume.

28 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

. really think it's just going to be the turnwheel again. They'll explain and handwave it in one little cutscene and it will never be mentioned again. It's not been marketed in the slightest the way divine pulse was, they just released a twit saying "hey this exists again" and that's it.

"Lumera: hey Alear did you know if you use this crystal you can rewind time"

Already: "oh cool, thanks mom"

And they never brought it up again.

29 minutes ago, Hectorcopter said:

I'd say finish The Lost Age first before moving onto a new game.

But after that, say, you ever heard of Super Robot Wars...?