Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

7 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

but I always feel slightly uncomfortable when a video game says my real name

Thats why you use a name that already exists in-game, so when they say its funny sounding, they are speaking about themselves as well!

• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Now I kinda regret choosing my real name. I don't know about you folks but I always feel slightly uncomfortable when a video game says my real name, especially to refer to a character that definitely isn't me.

I never have used my IRL name in game. Either I stick to the default if available, or I blur together a composite name made from other games I've played, or, I resort to the one name I've used for years, but have no idea how I came to know or like.

7 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

And here I am still waiting for FE to use my name...

I on the other hand it don't like it when I see my name being used on fictional characters. I know it to be 100% irrational, but ever since I was little, I've always felt like they "stole" it.😑

17 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Thats why you use a name that already exists in-game, so when they say its funny sounding, they are speaking about themselves as well!

I recall the time I read of someone who did this with FFVI. Renamed the entire ensemble cast "Kefka". A quirk of the days without voice acting.

3 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Are we reaching the limits of infinity?

Teehee tragedy coming?

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I recall the time I read of someone who did this with FFVI. Renamed the entire ensemble cast "Kefka". A quirk of the days without voice acting.

Kefka's opera scene was beautiful.

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

👍

The only Pokemon professor in the entire of Unova.

Is it the same with other professors? Like do they get a single math professor per region or a single history professor and there's literally no one else furthering that academic study throughout the entire region.

Hahaha, no, that's just for Pokémon Professors. Granted, it's not like we see that many schools either, but that falls under Law of Conservation of Detail. When we see a school it also tends to be a Pokémon School for up and coming trainers or so.

Strikes me as far too generic compared to the female design, especially since he doesn't look that different from what the male trainers look like in the other games.

I guess. Still, I'm fine with it myself.

Actually no I came up with the idea of naming it Edelgard after I chose it, I just prefer how Snivy's line looks.

Ah, I see. It's just that, well, I couldn't help but find it ironic you'd choose the Snivy line.

Oooh, what game was that?

Best I know, games that do that are the Mother/Earthbound ones. If there's others, then I can't recall.

4 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

So wait, I was, but am not anymore?

Well, that's the fun of language.

Well, if you had been alive in 1787, perhaps. But yes, way back then it was the Irish who were the Gringos. Evolution of language, yo!

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I never have used my IRL name in game. Either I stick to the default if available, or I blur together a composite name made from other games I've played, or, I resort to the one name I've used for years, but have no idea how I came to know or like.

Gonna say I also do this. Just stick with canon names for the most part. If none exist... well, I'll see what I can do.

I on the other hand it don't like it when I see my name being used on fictional characters. I know it to be 100% irrational, but ever since I was little, I've always felt like they "stole" it.😑

Admittedly, my name is the generic as heck Juan, so I'm not too bothered with seeing it used by someone else. We Juans are dime a dozen, so what's one more.

20230113111730-1.jpg

Expected of the franchise, yet still kinda disappointing that RF5 didn't have a competitive mini-game to kick off the arrival of summer. Seeing the marriage candidates in their swimsuits isn't so thrilling when you can just invite them to your house and change them into it there. And in my gayse, walking into the baths at the right times already let me see everyone I'd be interested in in their swimwear. (Compared to ye olde Runie Factorie, the characters are much more hygienic I've notice. IIRC for Frontier and ToD (IDK 1-3) all characters who use the baths use them just once a week at a specific hour of that day. RF5 is more like daily bathing with the specific time of each weekday possibly varying from each other. Although this only applies to the bachelor/ettes and the two kids, the non-romanceable adults never bathe it seems.)  

So, I spent the ingame day fishing on the beach instead, catching my first compact crustacean. Not like I could've hopped into a dungeon to progress the story, as I had finished on the last day of spring the dungeon that concluded what the game ex post facto referred to as "Chapter 1". The last bachelorette candidate oddly hasn't show up yet, though I think I might take a two or three days' break from RF5 at this convenient break point, as it's all I've been playing since I downloaded it.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Ah, just one week for Engage.

If Engage is why Nintendo hasn't released a Direct for the coming year yet, then could it have released yesterday?

I have a long list of games I need to finish or haven't even touched, and I dislike hype. Nonetheless, the mid/long-term forecasts for new Switch games is rather thin right now, and I impatiently want to see that corrected.😆 Amuse me with new announcements, entertain me with more details of what is presently known.😄 

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, if you had been alive in 1787, perhaps. But yes, way back then it was the Irish who were the Gringos. Evolution of language, yo!

Indeed

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

We Juans are dime a dozen, so what's Juan more.

FIFY

If Engage is why Nintendo hasn't released a Direct for the coming year yet, then could it have released yesterday?

Doesn't it tend to February the last few years?

I'd expect then myself.

Seeing the marriage candidates in their swimsuits isn't so thrilling when you can just invite them to your house and change them into it there. And in my gayse, walking into the baths at the right times already let me see everyone I'd be interested in in their swimwear. (Compared to ye olde Runie Factorie, the characters are much more hygienic I've notice. IIRC for Frontier and ToD (IDK 1-3) all characters who use the baths use them just once a week at a specific hour of that day. RF5 is more like daily bathing with the specific time of each weekday possibly varying from each other. Although this only applies to the bachelor/ettes and the two kids, the non-romanceable adults never bathe it seems.)  

I have several questions:

We're saying the older folks don't wash? Are all possible times in the baths covered? Is there no hint they have their own and the public baths are implied to be for the youth?

Is there a reason we're seeing the kids?

13 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Now I kinda regret choosing my real name. I don't know about you folks but I always feel slightly uncomfortable when a video game says my real name, especially to refer to a character that definitely isn't me.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Meanwhile me: "I get to kill Ruben? Awesome"

4 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Admittedly, my name is the generic as heck Juan, so I'm not too bothered with seeing it used by someone else. We Juans are dime a dozen, so what's one more.

Ruben's funny because it seems to be pretty rare elsewhere in the wordl, but here in Spain it's super common. Everywhere I go there's always two or three other Rubens. I've also seen a multitude of other Rubens sharing my first surname. Though my second surname is a lot rarer.

Speaking of that... I always thought it was pretty stupid that more countries don't use two surnames. One surname makes it VERY easy for "John Smith" situations to occur. Two surnames lowers the chances of it significantly. Be like Spain, people. Embrace two surnames.

5 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

FIFY

That doesn't even work. In Spain it wouldn't, at least. I dunno about Mexico, but in Spain Js are pronounced very heavily. It's not a soft G recolor like in English, which is why the change from George to Jeorge always made me mentally retch a bit.

5 minutes ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

What most people think they’ll experience:

9.98746434/10, best game everz!!!

What Wraith will experience:

Oh look, a wild Tsunairth has appeared:

35 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ruben's funny because it seems to be pretty rare elsewhere in the wordl, but here in Spain it's super common. Everywhere I go there's always two or three other Rubens. I've also seen a multitude of other Rubens sharing my first surname. Though my second surname is a lot rarer.

Speaking of that... I always thought it was pretty stupid that more countries don't use two surnames. One surname makes it VERY easy for "John Smith" situations to occur. Two surnames lowers the chances of it significantly. Be like Spain, people. Embrace two surnames.

Admittedly, I also have a middle name. Which, yeah, combined with two surnames, makes it practically impossible to have an exact match. That said, I was named after my paternal grandfather, middle name and all, so that's 3/4 of a match. It was an awkward moment during his funeral Mass since they only mentioned the first surname...

Yeah, it's curious most places don't make use of two surnames. At least we do.

Hi people, hey wouldn't it be super cool if we could get to 802,701 in this thread?

I mean, almost 13 years and not even 1/8 of the way there... that's an oof.

56 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh yeah Ruben is nowhere to be found in Mexico, although we do use two surnames! Also sometimes we have non-names like "de Jesus (Cristo)" attached to the first name because of ??? idk.

@Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

Xenoblade 3 Spoilers

Bruh.... lmao

Edited by This boi uses Nino

6 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Oh yeah Ruben is nowhere to be found in Mexico, although we do use two surnames! Also sometimes we have non-names like "de Jesus (Cristo)" attached to the first name because of ??? idk.

Because at some point we were hardcore Catholics, of course!

Or even "del Sagrado Corazón de Jesús".

Actually, that's also something of thing about us. We don't tend to shy away from using Jesus as a name, unlike other languages.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Because at some point we were hardcore Catholics, of course!

Or even "del Sagrado Corazón de Jesús".

Actually, that's also something of thing about us. We don't tend to shy away from using Jesus as a name, unlike other languages.

Yeah you're right, hardcore catholics, the religion that ens- whoops nevermind not this can of worms. I hadn't really thought about how other countries don't really use Jesus...

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

kfgx96gqzuba1.png

it's out in the wild

What the hell? Nice.

You know I hear a lot of pessimism for this game, I am kind of interested in seeing how it fares. Also since when the hell do these games have a cancer warning? It's right above the T rating.

EDIT: I didn't mean to post so early. Oops.

44 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Admittedly, I also have a middle name. Which, yeah, combined with two surnames, makes it practically impossible to have an exact match. That said, I was named after my paternal grandfather, middle name and all, so that's 3/4 of a match. It was an awkward moment during his funeral Mass since they only mentioned the first surname...

Yeah, it's curious most places don't make use of two surnames. At least we do.

I guess when you throw in middle names you end up with people with hilariously long names, but I dunno I think it's preferable to getting hundreds of John Smiths.

29 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Oh yeah Ruben is nowhere to be found in Mexico

Of course not, I'm in Spain!

17 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

kfgx96gqzuba1.png

it's out in the wild

I was just coming to say this. Now we're getting leaks. I expect to wake up to some tomorrow.

I find it hilarious how everyone in the reddit post is going "4 HOUNDS PLAYABLE YAY OR NAY." I know a lot of people want them, but with the massive villain energy they exhude I honestly wouldn't have too high hopes.

...So let's talk real business: SFOGLIA PLAYABLE YAY OR NAY

14 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

You know I hear a lot of pessimism for this game, I am kind of interested in seeing how it fares. Also since when the hell do these games have a cancer warning? It's right above the T rating.

Apparently it's already outselling the new Pokemon for this month. And I mean, sure, it's 2 months old and also universally hated, but hey. We're beating Pokemon in any capacity! That's incredible!

10 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Dunno if it's nice that leaks will swarm the net before i get my hands on the game

I'm still undecided on how to handle this. A part of me wants to go in as blind as a person who has followed the Japanese marketing can reasonably expect to. The other part of me realizes there's like, three characters left for me to discover and I kinda wanna know if Sfoglia exists going in.

Edited by Saint Rubenio