Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

I'm at 42% on story completion now in 13 Sentinels, upwards of 77% on some individual stories, with a whiplash low of less than 20% on others -not that everyone has even been unlocked yet. This seems to be the maximum one can achieve without ever touching battles after character selections open. I'll have to binge on those now.

Gonna say...

Spoiler

I don't find serious mindfuckery fun.😐 After all, the reason I accidentally missed the 30-minute exposition dump in XC2 was because it began with messing with Rex that was all I had intended to skip. *Sigh* Maybe I should've been playing with Japanese voices, since now Daichi the actual lovable childhood friend has VA contamination with an insidious imposter of his archetype. Surface same, depths disturbingly different.

I'm fine with mental manipulation and forced personality rewriting done lightly. I was exposed to the concept in my early teens with good old Original Generation 2, it sure didn't stop me from loving that game, had no issues replaying it last year either. SRWJ's inclusion of Hades Project Zeorymer, regardless of however Masato's experience went in the OVA and manga, was also handled lightly enough that it was fine to me. And I'd be lying if I didn't say I haven't thrown some into a junk mental fantasy of mine or two before.

However, I acknowledge the difference between "popular entertainment" and "serious art", requires 13 Sentinels to commit to a heavier form of mental manipulation and perhaps if a VN ain't fluff then it's simply gotta be suff'. Well, "require" might not be the best way to phrase it, what I mean is as if high art has to embrace trauma in full gory detail to be True art. I would like to think that isn't the case. So I get why it goes a bit further than I'd be absolutely fine with.

I could console myself with the assumption "there will be a happy ending" if I see any s*** that I don't particularly like. However, this is Vanillaware, and Odin Sphere...

Spoiler

...killed one of the playable characters even on the good ending! That was with five. With thirteen and a decidedly seemingly darker story, I can't assume that everyone is making through the ending alive.

• Replies 177.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

You know what would be a nifty idea.

Turning Merlinus and his wagon into a SRW style battleship. Sadly, I don't think you can have a unit rescue more than one at a time, but even just making it apply to that one unit would be something.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Guys, tell me what you think.

Universal move increase by 1 in FE6. Yay or nay?

Binding is usually considered to have oversized maps, so going by that general criticism I don't think +1 Move would be bad at least, possibly a good thing even. -Although you'd want to check each map to make sure there isn't any situation (i.e. villages, chests, mid-map-recruited allies) that becomes impossibly hard b/c it was dependent on certain enemies having juuuuuuuust too little Move.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Universal move increase by 1 in FE6. Yay or nay?

Wouldn't it be more rubenous to increase infantry move only?

But really, I never found the maps to be too big for a cav/flyer-heavy team, so I don't know if they would need a movement boost. +1 move and canter would still be a significant advantage over foot units, too.

--

4r9AULA.jpg

It still works :3

niWYppL.jpg

Although I did go for the sword-n-board swap in some of the Proving fights. Kinda good defenses (if you ignore the part where I lose 8 mana per tick with Shimmering Shield active because I didn't go nearly as all-in on mana regen as this build requires).

mXMfXXQ.jpg

Dwarves really have tongues of silver.

I am going with Harrowmont in this run though, given how obviously perfidious Bhelen's case is. "Give these members of the Assembly this irrefutable proof that Bhelen is good, actually; don't ask where I got it, don't tell them where you got it, here's a convenient explanation how you could've plausibly found out." If I do replay as a Dwarven commoner, I'd obviously go with Bhelen for familiar reasons, so that's part of the reason, but the game does present Harrowmont as the far less weaselly option.

Edited by gnip

16 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

You know what would be a nifty idea.

Turning Merlinus and his wagon into a SRW style battleship. Sadly, I don't think you can have a unit rescue more than one at a time, but even just making it apply to that one unit would be something.

How do SRW battleships work?

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Binding is usually considered to have oversized maps, so going by that general criticism I don't think +1 Move would be bad at least, possibly a good thing even. -Although you'd want to check each map to make sure there isn't any situation (i.e. villages, chests, mid-map-recruited allies) that becomes impossibly hard b/c it was dependent on certain enemies having juuuuuuuust too little Move.

Yeah, that's the worry. Situations being screwed up. It might be too much of an undertaking, combing every map for such situations - not to mention, without actually playing the entire game it's impossible to really tell.

15 minutes ago, gnip said:

Wouldn't it be more rubenous to increase infantry move only?

lol I guess.

15 minutes ago, gnip said:

But really, I never found the maps to be too big for a cav/flyer-heavy team, so I don't know if they would need a movement boost. +1 move and canter would still be a significant advantage over foot units, too.

Right. Well, thanks for the input.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

How do SRW battleships work?

Well, they're units of their own, but it's possible to have your mechs to enter them. So think of them as units that can rescue everyone else (except other battleships) at the same time. Units inside a battleship get their EN/Ammo restored, while their HP recovers for a % each turn.

I don't think this is the sort of thing a hack could implement, outside emulating it as best as possible. As in, having a rescued unit gain a Renewal effect while they're rescued. Then have it apply only when a specific unit is doing the rescue. Well, if the game can check if a unit is standing on a fort/throne, then maybe...?

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, they're units of their own, but it's possible to have your mechs to enter them. So think of them as units that can rescue everyone else (except other battleships) at the same time. Units inside a battleship get their EN/Ammo restored, while their HP recovers for a % each turn.

I don't think this is the sort of thing a hack could implement, outside emulating it as best as possible. As in, having a rescued unit gain a Renewal effect while they're rescued. Then have it apply only when a specific unit is doing the rescue. Well, if the game can check if a unit is standing on a fort/throne, then maybe...?

In FE8? Don't be so sure. They've pulled some serious magic tricks in that game. You seen the skill system? That thing is insane.

In FE6? Yeah, completely impossible lol

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

...Speaking of stuff impossible for Binding, remember one of the skill in Covenant of the Plume was an action that add +3 Move but kept the unit from attacking afterwards? I think FEs with big-map issues would benefit from having that skill.

Or, recall Steamworld Heist? An orange movement range you could attack within, and a larger blue "sprinting" range wherein you couldn't attack afterwards. Something else fanhacks could consider. Although because you can counterattack on the enemy phase in FE whereas you couldn't in Heist, I'd add either a "no counterattacking" or at least a -50% Str/Mag penalty through the one enemy phase if a unit sprinted, maybe -50% Skl/Spd/Def/Res as well.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

...Speaking of stuff impossible for Binding, remember one of the skill in Covenant of the Plume was an action that add +3 Move but kept the unit from attacking afterwards? I think FEs with big-map issues would benefit from having that skill.

The poor man's Accelerate?

Actually, Accelerate would be what FE could need, hahaha.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

The poor man's Accelerate?

It ain't poor, it's more balanced that way.😛 The only time you don't cast Accel when you could benefit from it in SRW is when you're counting every last SP and not using Accel would give you one more casting of Focus or something else.

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Dash my beloved. Behold!

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Or, recall Steamworld Heist? An orange movement range you could attack within, and a larger blue "sprinting" range wherein you couldn't attack afterwards. Something else fanhacks could consider. Although because you can counterattack on the enemy phase in FE whereas you couldn't in Heist, I'd add either a "no counterattacking" or at least a -50% Str/Mag penalty through the one enemy phase if a unit sprinted, maybe -50% Skl/Spd/Def/Res as well.

Ahh yeah I remember that. It's been way too long since I last played Heist, that game was awesome.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It ain't poor, it's more balanced that way.😛 The only time you don't cast Accel when you could benefit from it in SRW is when you're counting every last SP and not using Accel would give you one more casting of Focus or something else.

Well, SRW kinda balances it with the Post-Movement/Non-Post-Movement split, as it were.

On 8/1/2023 at 5:32 PM, gnip said:

I do kinda want a world state for the sequels in which Heroofferelden had been more involved with more things than the Mage origin.

Bro, Human Mage is literally Hawke's (Dragon Age 2's protagonist) second cousin.

On 8/1/2023 at 5:32 PM, gnip said:

Maybe human noble, maybe a dwarf to have a stake in the conflict for the throne

Dwarf Noble best origin, fuck Bhelen

23 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

"Cecile to marry another man? No, I don't want that. I want her to have feelings only for me, for ten years at least." -Guy Bannings

0n3hmjkfzdi91.jpg

Well played

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

In FE8? Don't be so sure. They've pulled some serious magic tricks in that game. You seen the skill system? That thing is insane.

Yeah, because FE8 engine is superior. Why bother? Xd

I'd say, it would not be a bad idea if FE were to do something like SRW battleships... though perhaps something closer to the tank in Valkyria Chronicles would be more apt.

Still, it would still be nifty.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'd say, it would not be a bad idea if FE were to do something like SRW battleships... though perhaps something closer to the tank in Valkyria Chronicles would be more apt.

Honestly, an playable knight that's been blessed with an insane amount of invulnerability by some random war god wouldn't be too out of place.

2 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

Someone has taste!

Yeah, but Pokemon more or less had an low bar for the story; except for Gen V and the antics of Team Magma