• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

8 hours ago, Sooks said:

Incidentally I have 80 hours in the game and you said you were done at 120 in your review, I think, and I’m a looong way from done

A good chunk of that is because I wasn't skip travelling. Unless I really needed to get out of the Depths but I mostly would find a manual way up.

8 hours ago, Sooks said:

Unless I treat this like every other open world game and drop it after doing a bunch of side content, but I really don’t want to because this story is going interesting places. Also, I’m using it as a form of escapism.

The side content is also actually good in this one.

I'd say, before taking on the final boss, in addition to doing all the Main Quests (obviously), be sure to do all the Side Adventures too. So Kohga, the Stable Trotters, the Lucky Clover quests, etc. Although you can leave the one with the stone tablets for later, that one's a pain lol.

8 hours ago, Sooks said:

mean I know we were joking about durability in this game but it does recharge like in BotW, right?

Yep.

8 hours ago, Sooks said:

Ouroborous is in this game?

Look at the game's logo.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And if it breaks prior? Does it magically come back to life or do you confront Garon with a stick?

It'll recharge.

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

It really is the dumbest shit. Like, actually wow.

All for our dearest boy.

38 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Well, according to RD, it affects how many bonds a unit can have. lmao 

That's not really how it worked though, right?

15 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

And this is why CS I is peak CS arc:

aaa64a9b288e456b8ff5399adce411a1.jpg

No other character is this enlightened in CS I. Fact.

I am not impressed. He doesn't have enough beard.

Just now, Armagon said:

It'll recharge.

Oh, I was not aware of that. My friend who hates TotK made a big deal of the meisterschwert breaking, but neglected to mention that.

7 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

RFEE01_2023-08-04_16-26-31.png

Yaa, Shikkoku House... wait

RFEE01_2023-08-04_16-37-38.png

"Somehow..."

"... Palpatine returned."

There is an explanation, actually... in the Japanese script. You won't be seeing it here, though.

I'm going to buy this, and then later I'll realize "Oh wow I totally didn't need to waste that much money on this when I didn't need it"

Well, if you were playing the Japanese version, you would.

Fun fact, you needed them to promote there. Localization added the "level up to 21" option as an alternative.

Still, if you want to promote ASAP, they're there.

RFEE01_2023-08-04_16-55-21.png

I'm telling ya, something like this would've been perfect for Three Houses.

I like how Human is there twice.

RFEE01_2023-08-04_17-46-08.pngRFEE01_2023-08-04_17-46-27.png

Oh, well, that IS a problem.

I already saw you said you reset. Good. You would've missed out on... some interesting tidbits, perhaps...

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

All for our dearest boy.

And people say he's not favored...

Whoever decided Micaiah would have 0 stars and never gain any, despite starting as a rebel leader, and then promoted to army commander...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

17 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh, I was not aware of that. My friend who hates TotK made a big deal of the meisterschwert breaking, but neglected to mention that.

There's a sizable number of Zelda fans who think the Master Sword breaking at all is blasphemy. Part of it is them wanting a "permanent weapon", not realizing that permanent weapons fundamentally don't mesh with the game. Another part of it is "the strongest sword in the series shouldn't break", which is really funny because the Master Sword is not only not actually the strongest sword in the series but even in the games where it's shown up, sometimes, there were stronger weapons to begin with. In Ocarina of Time, you could get the Biggoron Sword, which was twice as powerful as the Master Sword.

The Master Sword is simply just really good at it's job (evil slayer). And in BotW, they tell you to only use it when it counts (bosses, Guardians), yet people use it on the random Bokoblin and then complain it breaks.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

And people say he's not favored...

Whoever decided Micaiah would have 0 stars and never gain any, despite starting as a rebel leader, and then promoted to army commander...

To be fair, they couldn't really give her any due to how idiotic the mechanic is in gameplay. If they gave her leadership stars, her chapters would become as mindless as Ike's, which wasn't the intention. So story flavor be damned, they had to keep her useless on that front.

The fix, of course, was as simple as not having a mechanic this dumb in the first place. But, again, all for our dearest boy.

56 minutes ago, Armagon said:

There's a sizable number of Zelda fans who think the Master Sword breaking at all is blasphemy. Part of it is them wanting a "permanent weapon", not realizing that permanent weapons fundamentally don't mesh with the game. Another part of it is "the strongest sword in the series shouldn't break", which is really funny because the Master Sword is not only not actually the strongest sword in the series but even in the games where it's shown up, sometimes, there were stronger weapons to begin with. In Ocarina of Time, you could get the Biggoron Sword, which was twice as powerful as the Master Sword.

The Master Sword is simply just really good at it's job (evil slayer). And in BotW, they tell you to only use it when it counts (bosses, Guardians), yet people use it on the random Bokoblin and then complain it breaks.

I would argue that if they didn't want you to use it in any other capacity, they shouldn't give you the option... but if it recharges, then it only amounts to an annoyance, so it's okay. I'd still question what that annoyance adds to the gameplay, but that question belongs in a deeper discussion about the mechanic as a whole that I'm not qualified to participate in.

18 minutes ago, Hanes said:

Ctrl + F4
"Hanes"
2/2!

>Profile name up top
>Recently browsing down below

Aw...

Listen Heintz, I really think you should play Berwick Saga.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

would argue that if they didn't want you to use it in any other capacity, they shouldn't give you the option... but if it recharges, then it only amounts to an annoyance, so it's okay.

Well not giving you the option is the antithesis of Aonuma's current gameplay philosophy.

18 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Or SRW.

Those aren't the initials of Berwick Saga.

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Well not giving you the option is the antithesis of Aonuma's current gameplay philosophy.

Yeah, but if you can softlock yourself and lose what, 200 hours of progress by using the master sword a bit too much before the end, that's just going to make people decide to quit and go play something else.

Again though, if it recharges it's a moot point.

What's amazing is that the Master Sword does not actually start recharging until it's completely broken. So even after using it just a little it always forces you to consider if you should try breaking it on some mooks so it has enough time to recharge before you really need it. Same with the Champion's Abilities.

I can't comprehend why it works like that. It's so obnoxious. Why doesn't it just gradually repair? Like the self-repairing weapons in Berwick Saga or whatever.

It's crazy to me that none of the many, many issues with BotW were not fixed. Not exactly eager to jump into all of that just to get access to a few extra toys that weren't there before, as impressive as the coding wizardry to make them work may be.

Well, my first non Xenoweekend. Maybe I could use it to write more... and some more Rorona time, perhaps. Or start a Verdant Wind playthrough. Or start up SRW V...

... ah, so much things...

9 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ahh yes, there's the sooks% we know and love.

hey, hoarding is a pitfall than many people unfortunately fall victim to, not just me

9 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And if it breaks prior? Does it magically come back to life or do you confront Garon with a stick?

“magically come back to life” is actually a good way of describing it, but I hope you can still confront Garon (lol) with a stick.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

A good chunk of that is because I wasn't skip travelling.

Why would you do this to yourself?

The side content is also actually good in this one.

I mean side content is usually the appeal of open world games. At least that the ones that I play for that long Fallout bad wasteland bad.

I'd say, before taking on the final boss, in addition to doing all the Main Quests (obviously), be sure to do all the Side Adventures too. So Kohga, the Stable Trotters, the Lucky Clover quests, etc.

I don’t even get what the difference is between side adventures and side quests.

Although you can leave the one with the stone tablets for later, that one's a pain lol.

Am I supposed to have found that already? Bad news.

Look at the game's logo.

Oh more literally.

Incidentally those have been getting a bigger role in this game based on npc chatter. Wonder where that’s going.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

When it breaks, it comes back after 10 minutes.

also it breaks in one of the opening cutscenes

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I would argue that if they didn't want you to use it in any other capacity, they shouldn't give you the option... but if it recharges, then it only amounts to an annoyance, so it's okay. I'd still question what that annoyance adds to the gameplay, but that question belongs in a deeper discussion about the mechanic as a whole that I'm not qualified to participate in.

Well as a game with a durability mechanic in the first place, giving you an uber sword that you can get as early as you want that does good damage and doesn’t break would just stop you from engaging with the durability mechanic altogether. Of course whether or not the durability mechanic should be there is a different question, one that you’re presumably aiming not to discuss.

Although I would say the intention is to have Link’s legendary sword for whenever you’re in a pickle, not just the final boss.

There's a sizable number of Zelda fans who think the Master Sword breaking at all is blasphemy.

Them in shambles watching the first cutscene

And in BotW, they tell you to only use it when it counts (bosses, Guardians), yet people use it on the random Bokoblin and then complain it breaks.

This reminds me of me using my masterball in Pokémon on a random encounter I didn’t want to see how good it was when I thought you could get more.

Edited by Sooks

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Well as a game with a durability mechanic in the first place, giving you an uber sword that you can get as early as you want that does good damage and doesn’t break would just stop you from engaging with the durability mechanic altogether. Of course whether or not the durability mechanic should be there is a different question, one that you’re presumably aiming not to discuss.

Although I would say the intention is to have Link’s legendary sword for whenever you’re in a pickle, not just the final boss.

Could've been done Awakening style, maybe.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Listen Heintz, I really think you should play Berwick Saga.

Hmm, I have the PS2 emulator set up. What do I need? Is there a prepatched version somewhere or will I have to learn how to patch a PS2 rom?

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Or SRW.

Which game? What is it like? Come on sell me on the idea haha.

Wait I need to play Tears of the Kingdom lol... I need to get me a new controller first however.

1 minute ago, Hanes said:

Wait I need to play Tears of the Kingdom lol... I need to get me a new controller first however.

YES reject SRPGS, play the best Zelda. And you know, get a new controller.

Edited by Sooks

1 minute ago, Hanes said:

Which game? What is it like? Come on sell me on the idea haha.

SRW, short for Super Robot Wars, is a SRPG series. Its main appeal is that it's a mega-crossover between licenced mecha series (though SRW has long added variety). Because of this, the series has been largely Japan-only, with some exceptions, mostly those that only make use of original content. The series began in 1991, and only until 2021 did we finally got a licenced game to be sold internationally. That said, a few do have fan translations, and lately the games have been receiving official English translations even if they still are only sold in East Asia, mostly thanks that online shops are no longer region-locked for the most part.

Admittedly, it might be too specific to cater to anyone. But I'd say there's still worth to try it out at least.

If I were to recommend a specific game, I've always considered SRW J to be a good entry. If not, SRW 30 has quite a few of "freeform" elements to built up a playthrough however you want.

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

YES reject SRPGS, play the best Zelda. And you know, get a new controller.

I should have ordered one ages ago lol idk why I haven't. Here I go. Gotta love gift card money 🙌!

SRW, short for Super Robot Wars, is a SRPG series. Its main appeal is that it's a mega-crossover between licenced mecha series (though SRW has long added variety). Because of this, the series has been largely Japan-only, with some exceptions, mostly those that only make use of original content. The series began in 1991, and only until 2021 did we finally got a licenced game to be sold internationally. That said, a few do have fan translations, and lately the games have been receiving official English translations even if they still are only sold in East Asia, mostly thanks that online shops are no longer region-locked for the most part.

Admittedly, it might be too specific to cater to anyone. But I'd say there's still worth to try it out at least.

If I were to recommend a specific game, I've always considered SRW J to be a good entry. If not, SRW 30 has quite a few of "freeform" elements to built up a playthrough however you want.

Oh I know what SRW stands for, didn't know all that however. SRW J or SRW 30... ok I'll look into it!

Edited by Hanes

2 minutes ago, Hanes said:

Oh I know what SRW stands for, didn't know all that however. SRW J or SRW 30... ok I'll look into it!

J is one of those that require a fan translation, by the way.

30 can be bought on Steam, though.

3 minutes ago, Hanes said:

I should have ordered one ages ago lol idk why I haven't.

I’ve been needing to replace my joycons/buy a second pro controller for multiplayer but I still haven’t. Although I do have the excuse of not having needed it yet.

Anyway I hope you enjoy.

3 minutes ago, Hanes said:

Here I go. Gotta love gift card money 🙌!

Preach.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

J is one of those that require a fan translation, by the way.

30 can be bought on Steam, though.

Ah, well, I'm gonna be stingy xd. Maybe I'd try J, is it on like GBA or some super easy retro console to emulate, btw?

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

I’ve been needing to replace my joycons/buy a second pro controller for multiplayer but I still haven’t. Although I do have the excuse of not having needed it yet.

Anyway I hope you enjoy.

I will just say fuck the joycons, and get the pro controller. Let's see if this one is good.