Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...Why did they lay off 17% of their staff, though?

What Acacia said probably. The corporate answer is "the headcount got too big" like lmao maybe don't hire that many people if you don't have the money to pay them.

• Replies 177k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

25 minutes ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Oh ya... definitely got that series on the list 😁

Well, I wish you the best If you decide to gonon the journey!

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Because it's more convenient than slashing their own salaries.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

What Acacia said probably. The corporate answer is "the headcount got too big" like lmao maybe don't hire that many people if you don't have the money to pay them.

Noice. Capitalism moment.

The desire to play (to have fun, do silly things) is rooted in the brain stem, researchers have discovered. The brain stem is one of the oldest parts of the nervous system evolutionarily, suggesting the drive to play is deep-rooted, not something humans -and many other species- developed at a later date and which would by implication suggest isn't very important.

While octopuses are a solitary species that engages in adult play, they're an outlier. Most species see their play drive decline as they mature into adults, yet in others including Homo sapiens, as well as ravens, wolves, dolphins, and other primates, the play drive endures into adulthood. And for adults in most relevant species, adult play is often social. Good social adult play requires a willingness to lose, to restrain oneself, to be vulnerable, to adapt, to be creative, to trust and accept others and respect them as equals.

-All I'm saying is modern science is telling us that having fun is a good thing! So play video games, or do anything else entertaining!😃 (Thanks for the info, Nat Geo.)

Although the choice to cite bonobos as an adult social playful species and words like "vulnerability" got me thinking. Does this mean that bondage is as healthy as it gets?

32 minutes ago, ping said:

0m8a5pt.jpg

I think I should pop my Golden Ages a bit more aggressively

I need to do another Persia game, roll until I can build Chichen Itza (difficult I know), then use all my Great Artists for nonstop Golden Ages. Take three in Aesthetics, but hold off until later to get the free Artist and Golden Age policies. Probably a Domination or perhaps Science victory using this strategy.

The entire Incan realm. I still love how the snow-settled city is a genuinely great expansion.

Inca ought to work well in snow compared to everyone else. Or tundra and dry desert, extra food can salvage the poor terrain.

It's not a good day to be Genghis. A nice demonstration of what happens to a warmonger civ if they can't find an early victim. Genghis even managed to fail three times at capturing a city state, with two of the attempts directed at a very close city with basically no defensible terrain.

I don't like warring in part because you're constantly rushing the clock with most of them in Civ5. China NEEDS to get to its Chu-ko-nus ASAP! And with the shift from Xbows to Artillery, from Arty to Bombers, that means anyone who wars is on some kind of crunch to take cities before shifting the composition of their army becomes necessary. I don't like that pressure.

Considering the Mongols have only the worthless CS bonus once Cavalry become Landships (I don't think the mounted movement transfers to armored units), they're on a time limit more than any other warmonger, perhaps.

28 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Not sure about Twitch, but I've seen the narrative that begins "Covid increased video game spending when everything else became inaccessible". The unnatural pandemic high has long since ended, and now it's time to cut retrospectively foolishly-hired workers, which in the short-term also ups stock value.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Phew, thought I wouldn't survive Leviathan's Tidal Wave... barely, barely.

Pft, freaking Bahamut started unleashing Mega Flare on turn 2... then again, considering my Dragoon did displayed 9999 damage (III doesn't cap it there, but it won't display any higher), maybe I already pushed him over a threshold too quickly...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Inca ought to work well in snow compared to everyone else. Or tundra and dry desert, extra food can salvage the poor terrain.

Well, Ollantaytambo just had a high enough number of good tiles on its own. Five sea resources (six after unlocking oil), a Salt tile, 2x Deer, 1x Sheep, 1x fresh water hill. That's already 10 tiles with 2+ food and generally good yealds. Huamanga (the Petra city that couldn't) is a prime example of a basically Inca-exclusive settle. Any other civ would've had 4 2f/2p tiles; Pachacuti adds 3x 3f/2p and one 5f/2p, 6f/2p and 7f/2p, each.

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't like warring in part because you're constantly rushing the clock with most of them in Civ5. China NEEDS to get to its Chu-ko-nus ASAP! And with the shift from Xbows to Artillery, from Arty to Bombers, that means anyone who wars is on some kind of crunch to take cities before shifting the composition of their army becomes necessary. I don't like that pressure.

Considering the Mongols have only the worthless CS bonus once Cavalry become Landships (I don't think the mounted movement transfers to armored units), they're on a time limit more than any other warmonger, perhaps.

Going Machinery before Education is a pretty heavy investment for China (and England) specifically, yeah. But at least their X-bows can last them really long, since Chu-ko-nus get +1 range much faster because they can gain XP twice per round, and Longbows just get it for free (although they take longer to get Logistics than Chu-ko-nus to get range). Both great to outrange cities as long as X-bows are still passable, and to create Gatlings that are actually useful.

Mongols do at least have their poor man's Camels (and, no offense to the Arabs, it's a travesty that the Mongols don't have the best shoot-and-run unit in the game). But they really do feel like a shitty Arabia, +1 Movement on their horsies or no. Weaker unique unit, and Arabia also has some economic bonuses to fall back on.

!?

Wait, hold on...

Bahamut has... *looks up* 34000 HP.

First round of combat: Dragoon Jumped, Thief used a Chocobo's Wrath, Knight used Defender on himself, and Monk attacked. Did amount 5-6K damage.

Second round: Thief attacked (has Air Knife and Behemoth Knife), Knight used Defender again, Monk used a Hi-Potion on the Knight, Dragoon came down. Thief did a litter under 7K, and the Dragoon 9999, defeating Bahamut.

So, before the Jump, I did a little under 13K combined... so the Dragoon did at least 20K! Wow! With Gungnir and the Blood Lance, the Dragoon's a keeper!

Edited by Acacia Sgt

23 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The desire to play (to have fun, do silly things) is rooted in the brain stem, researchers have discovered. The brain stem is one of the oldest parts of the nervous system evolutionarily, suggesting the drive to play is deep-rooted, not something humans -and many other species- developed at a later date and which would by implication suggest isn't very important.

While octopuses are a solitary species that engages in adult play, they're an outlier. Most species see their play drive decline as they mature into adults, yet in others including Homo sapiens, as well as ravens, wolves, dolphins, and other primates, the play drive endures into adulthood. And for adults in most relevant species, adult play is often social. Good social adult play requires a willingness to lose, to restrain oneself, to be vulnerable, to adapt, to be creative, to trust and accept others and respect them as equals.

-All I'm saying is modern science is telling us that having fun is a good thing! So play video games, or do anything else entertaining!😃 

VGs are good for exercisin the brain muscle 😁

Okay, time to move on to Doga's Grotto... and beat up some old people. Ruben would hate this if he were to play it.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Okay, time to move on to Doga's Grotto... and beat up some old people. Ruben would hate this if he were to play it.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Not old people!

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Not old people!

They're the bottom two:

FF3] โนอาห์ และลูกศิษย์ทั้งสาม | Gigadeen's Blog

They get to be guest party members though, and know very powerful spells when they bother to use them (guest party members in FF III can be so fickle in actually acting per turn)

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

They're the bottom two:

They get to be guest party members though, and know very powerful spells when they bother to use them (guest party members in FF III can be so fickle in actually acting per turn)

They should've been permanent.

21 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

They're the bottom two:

Okay, time for the Ancients' Maze.

Finally! After so long, I appreciate the Earth Crystal is at the beginning of the dungeon, and not the end... but first, must defeat the Titan.

36 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

They're the bottom two:

Those almost remind me of Edge’s parents from FF4

It's amazing how just by giving them that second turn, the bosses can be quite a nuissance.

Alright, got the last jobs! Truly all, what with the 3D versions moving the Ninja and Sage to the Earth Crystal (and nerfing them to accommodate). Okay, so last team changes...

I'll turn my Thief into a Devout. I'm already at the point the game is throwing money at me, so I can just buy Hi-Potions and the like. Meanwhile, I think I need more now the ability to use spells like Protect and Haste. At least for bosses.

My Monk is getting upgraded to Black Belt. Retaliate is too situational. Boost at least can be of some use against bosses. Sure, Job Level 1 means the Black Belt will be a downgrade at first, but at least the claws I have can put him back to a comparable damage dealing level until he can catch up.

So, I think that's how my final party will be:

Knight, Black Belt, Dragoon, Devout

54 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

No room for party changes, I'm afraid. And in the NES version the guests couldn't even help out in battle.

Bah. Screw traditionality. 4-character JRPG parties need to die out. Octopath Traveler would've been so much better if it didn't so strictly adhere to that. I know I'm talking about a very old game here but

17 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Again, skill issue

Quetzal out there calling out Armagon on being too weak to walk through a couple of measly countries (they have managed the entire Earth)

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Bah. Screw traditionality. 4-character JRPG parties need to die out. Octopath Traveler would've been so much better if it didn't so strictly adhere to that. I know I'm talking about a very old game here but

Well, there was a time they went down to 3-character parties...

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Quetzal out there calling out Armagon on being too weak to walk through a couple of measly countries (they have managed the entire Earth)

Hey, no fair. Quetzals fly!

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-All I'm saying is modern science is telling us that having fun is a good thing! So play video games, or do anything else entertaining!

good science

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

kek

14 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, there was a time they went down to 3-character parties...

Hey, no fair. Quetzals fly!

Dragon Warrior 2...

Hell, in the first one you were by yourself