Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

6 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

PS could very easiky return to that if MS is out of the pic

The only PS5 game coming out this year is one called Rise of the Ronin, which is one of those third party games that comes out and dies immediately.

With their eggs in the PC basket I doubt Sony will seriously push for PS5 exclusives. Hell, they have less of a reason to now if Xbox is dead.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Absolutely nothing, they and Nintendo just followed right along because it meant more money for them as well. It's already at the point where it sucks.

None of the Switch's first party lineup this year is $70.

2 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

C Skill group has plenty of variety that isnt unrealistic. Along with A, tbh.

Hell some Heroes skills already made it to mainline. Mainly stuff like Swap, Reposition, Quick Riposte.

25 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'd just slam X against Y reading the pre-combat forecast and hope for the best.😆 Maybe I do that already, sometimes

The unga bunga strategy. Works every time.

2 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

They haven't announced who's voicing Shadow yet, probably because they want to make that it's own announcement

The rumor is Hayden Christensen and that would be very funny.

• Replies 177.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

I'm surprised it's not more common knowledge if she's credited in every game, it's not like her Wikipedia page is hidden or anything. She's even on the FE template.

We've had conversations about this before. Same reason why there's people who have worked on the entire series and yet Kaga's still the only person whose name is known to the fanbase at large, alongside Maeda to a lesser extent. Also the same reason someone refers to one movie or other as "that one movie with the famous actor in it" even though there's a multitude of people with more involvement in the film than the celebrity on the poster. People tend to only remember the one very recognizable person. That's just how humans work, I'm afraid.

50 minutes ago, Armagon said:

None of the Switch's first party lineup this year is $70.

No, instead it's all 50$ remasters.

Now, my general point wasn't strictly about the 70 bucks thing. It was the overall state of the industry. Nintendo may be a little better than Sony and Microsoft in some regards, but they're far from the great shining beacon of selflessness and love in the industry that their more hardcore fanbase makes them out to be.

Honestly, at this point AAA videogames are (as a whole, exceptions of course exist) basically just different flavors of corporate dystopia. Do you want overpriced cinematic experiences that only run on NASA supercomputers, broken crap being shit out yearly to make maximum profit off of brand loyalty, unfinished games with the vague promise of (paid) DLC coming out later to fill the gaps, expensive nostalgia trips? All of them? All is good too!

Edited by Saint Rubenio

38 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Now, my general point wasn't strictly about the 70 bucks thing. It was the overall state of the industry. Nintendo may be a little better than Sony and Microsoft in some regards, but they're far from the great shining beacon of selflessness and love in the industry that their more hardcore fanbase makes them out to be.

And yet there is a reason why it's only the Western Triple A industry that's imploding right now. I would argue that Nintendo is more than just "a little bit better" in this regard.

Nothing makes me hate life more than work does

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Do you want overpriced cinematic experiences that only run on NASA supercomputers, broken crap being shit out yearly to make maximum profit off of brand loyalty, unfinished games with the vague promise of (paid) DLC coming out later to fill the gaps, expensive nostalgia trips? All of them? All is good too!

When it comed to Ninty, only Pokemon is like that

21 minutes ago, Armagon said:

And yet there is a reason why it's only the Western Triple A industry that's imploding right now. I would argue that Nintendo is more than just "a little bit better" in this regard.

Yh jp games are doing really well atm

Well, most of them wouldn't be called AAA tbf

23 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Maybe that's because they didn't over-hire during the pandemic like western studios did. Still, it's undeniable a nice thing.

But that doesn't change the fact that they're adopting more and more of their competitors' consumer-unfriendly practices, that more and more of their games fit the "we'll totally complete this game later with DLC folks" formula, the low-effort remaster spam aimed at making a quick buck off of people's nostalgia, the whole shit with the Switch online that's only going to get worse, the whole shit with joycon drift, everything to do with fan content, etc.

I don't know, maybe it's because Nintendo games were a big part of my childhood and I'd like them to be better for it (also because I've bought multiple of their plastic paperweights and dammit I want them to do better if I'm going to buy more), but I'm just not happy with them lately.

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

When it comed to Ninty, only Pokemon is like that

How about every single Mario spin-off that wasn't made by friggin' Ubisoft of all companies? Considering Mario is their mascot and basically the mascot of videogames, it's pretty damn deplorable how bad and forgettable every one of his games on the Switch was except for Odyssey, Wonder and a couple others.

I'm willing to concede that they do it less than the other AAA companies, perhaps, but they're doing it more and more as time goes on. Iwata's long gone, I'm afraid.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Hell some Heroes skills already made it to mainline. Mainly stuff like Swap, Reposition, Quick Riposte.

This is very true. But swap was always in Fates, I think?

3 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

This is very true. But swap was always in Fates, I think?

Yes, and so was Repo iirc

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

How about every single Mario spin-off

Idc about them, but werw they an unfinished buggy mess?

4 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Idc about them, but werw they an unfinished buggy mess?

Maybe not buggy, but unfinished? Very much so. It was a pattern that repeated throughout the Switch's lifetime. Mario spin-off comes out, it has about 2 hours worth of content, DLC is announced on day 1, reviewers give it an 8/10, youtubers play it exactly once, then two weeks later the game is completely forgotten. Couple DLC waves come out, and the game dies an unceremonious death. It happened with the new Mario Tennis, it happened with the new Mario Golf, it happened with the new Mario Strikers... 60 bucks a pop, naturally. For 2 hours of content.

Though to be honest, I almost find their manipulation of nostalgia worse. They really would like people to forget what they did with Mario All Stars 3D, or the translated FE1, or Mario 35 - the idea of which they either stole from a fangame, or they destroyed the fangame to ensure it didn't compete with their game that only stayed up for a few months anyway. Then again, considering how fans of series like Mario Party and Paper Mario get Nintendo selling them the game they already played again for 50 bucks and their reaction is "the series is back on track", perhaps I'm just the weird one.

I don't know. I want them to be better, but they're just an above-average multimillionaire corpo. I suppose that's part of growing up lol

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

60 bucks a pop, naturally. For 2 hours of content

Oof

Though to be honest, I almost find their manipulation of nostalgia worse. They really would like people to forget what they did with Mario All Stars 3D, or the translated FE1, or Mario 35 - the idea of which they either stole from a fangame, or they destroyed the fangame to ensure it didn't compete with their game that only stayed up for a few months anyway. Then again, considering how fans of series like Mario Party and Paper Mario get Nintendo selling them the game they already played again for 50 bucks and their reaction is "the series is back on track", perhaps I'm just the weird one.

Oh yeah here i agree with you

. I suppose that's part of growing up lol

Sucks doesn't it

3 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Sucks doesn't it

Eh, it has its perks. When I was a kid I basically refused to play anything that wasn't Mario, and Mario with Luigi in it at that. Imagine if I'd stayed that way and never played Fire Emblem. I might've never ended up playing Berwick Saga!

You know, that and the whole "diagnosed depression with suicidal tendencies at age 7" thing.

4 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

But the whole point is that it's not the meme.

It’s Jim Carrey Lightchaos, you can’t escape the memes because the memes have already entangled you.

Edited by Sidereal Wraith

53 minutes ago, Ika Musume said:

The utter teehee moment when Nintendo announces 3 triple a games next week.

…What have we become? Why are we still here?

50 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Maybe not buggy, but unfinished? Very much so. It was a pattern that repeated throughout the Switch's lifetime. Mario spin-off comes out, it has about 2 hours worth of content, DLC is announced on day 1, reviewers give it an 8/10, youtubers play it exactly once, then two weeks later the game is completely forgotten. Couple DLC waves come out, and the game dies an unceremonious death. It happened with the new Mario Tennis, it happened with the new Mario Golf, it happened with the new Mario Strikers... 60 bucks a pop, naturally. For 2 hours of content.

This was only for the Mario sports games and they got rightfully called out on them. We don't get GOATs like Mario Super Sluggers these days.

Everything else tho? Not really. The first party lineup has always been solidly polished and complete for anything that wasn't Pokemon.

Just now, Armagon said:

This was only for the Mario sports games and they got rightfully called out on them.

And that didn't stop them from releasing more because people bought them anyway.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Everything else tho? Not really. The first party lineup has always been solidly polished and complete for anything that wasn't Pokemon.

I mean, you're making a couple of pretty big exclusions here, between a good chunk of the company's mascot's games and the biggest-selling videogame franchise of all time.

Still, I did say they do this less than the rest. What they do more than the rest, and a whole lot more, is the nostalgia manipulation I also brought up. What happens if we substract the DLC-bait Mario spin-offs and the remake/remaster/re-release/reheat Mario games we've gotten on the Switch? How many truly new, truly crafted with love and care Mario games are we left with? There's Odyssey, Wonder, Loogi's Manor the third and... Uuuuuuhhhh... Mario Maker 2 I guess?

I don't know. Again, they're certainly not as bad as the likes of Ubisoft, Blizzard and EA, and they probably beat Sony and Microsoft as well, but being "better than" doesn't mean "good" and I feel there's a big gap between Nintendo and actually caring about videogames or the fans. It's only been getting broader since Iwata passed away and it will keep getting broader, because why wouldn't it? It's working out for them.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What happens if we substract the DLC-bait Mario spin-offs and the remake/remaster/re-release/reheat Mario games we've gotten on the Switch? How many truly new, truly crafted with love and care Mario games are we left with? There's Odyssey, Wonder, Loogi's Manor the third and... Uuuuuuhhhh... Mario Maker 2 I guess?

So the usual? There's always more spin-offs and whatnot than mainline Mario games. Take the Wii for example, you had the Galaxy games and NSMB Wii for mainline. Anything else was spin-offs.

And you're only looking at Mario here, which, while important, isn't the full story. Zelda, Splatoon, Xenoblade, Pikmin, etc. Even the remakes and remasters are generally speaking on the higher end. Yes Skyward Sword HD is the outlier there cause lol but compare that remaster with XenoblaDE and Metroid Prime. The Link's Awakening remake is absolutely gorgeous to look at.

Not to mention actually bringing back obscure IPs, something Microsoft and Sony are allergic to doing. Famicon Detective Club, Another Code, Advance Wars. Meanwhile we're never getting another Jak game because Naughty Dog is too busy making The Last of Us Part 1 HD Final Mix.

Just now, Armagon said:

So the usual? There's always more spin-offs and whatnot than mainline Mario games. Take the Wii for example, you had the Galaxy games and NSMB Wii for mainline. Anything else was spin-offs.

And you're only looking at Mario here, which, while important, isn't the full story. Zelda, Splatoon, Xenoblade, Pikmin, etc. Even the remakes and remasters are generally speaking on the higher end. Yes Skyward Sword HD is the outlier there cause lol but compare that remaster with XenoblaDE and Metroid Prime. The Link's Awakening remake is absolutely gorgeous to look at.

Not to mention actually bringing back obscure IPs, something Microsoft and Sony are allergic to doing. Famicon Detective Club, Another Code, Advance Wars. Meanwhile we're never getting another Jak game because Naughty Dog is too busy making The Last of Us Part 1 HD Final Mix.

Fine, fine. Maybe I'm just cranky. And also looking to convince myself not to splurge 400 bucks on another Ninty console next year.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Meanwhile we're never getting another Jak game because Naughty Dog is too busy making The Last of Us Part 1 HD Final Mix.

Ugh, don't remind me... not even non-Sony ports...

I'll choose to forget the industry exists, acknowledge my powerlessness to change said industry I don't remember. And offer words of sympathy -but nothing more because I'm not rich and completely-moral consumerism is very difficult to do- for the average workers. And then buy and hopefully enjoy the games and systems that interest me. This is entertainment, not politics, the stakes don't not matter, but for anyone who isn't a worker in the industry, they're much lower.

That's all I say, and I'm not bitter or despairing or anything else negative reading the above and writing what I just did, because SRW GC Episode 53 was good.😄

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That's all I say, and I'm not bitter or despairing or anything else negative reading the above and writing what I just did, because SRW GC Episode 53 was good.😄

You got the right mindset. What am I doing wasting time writing about Nintendo when I could be playing more Berwick Saga?

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You know, that and the whole "diagnosed depression with suicidal tendencies at age 7" thing.

I don't know what to say...except that i hope you're doing much better now!

44 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Last of Us

The consequences of that game on the human race.....

Not quite Persona's level, but man

44 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And also looking to convince myself not to splurge 400 bucks on another Ninty console next year.

Fully understandable lol

39 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

completely-moral consumerism is very difficult to do

There's no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism

Or so they say

40 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

This is entertainment, not politics

A forgotten mindset that is needed more

34 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You got the right mindset. What am I doing wasting time writing about Nintendo when I could be playing more Berwick Saga?

I wish i could play anything but work just drained me today

Fml

32 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Not to mention that once Freedom Planet 2 is released for the Switch, there is little reason to bother with the Switch 2 or whatever.

Assuming it runs as well on the Switch as the first one did, at least.

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I don't know what to say...except that i hope you're doing much better now!

Yeah, I've talked about it before, it's been a long, long time since any of that. I'm quite good now, but I suppose it's made me less nostalgic than most.

7 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Fully understandable lol

You know maybe I should actually hope the next FE truly is Three Houses 2, then I don't have to bother buying the Twoitch for it lolololol

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I wish i could play anything but work just drained me today

Fml

Hang in there, man... Hang in there as best you can.

2 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Not to mention that once Freedom Planet 2 is released for the Switch, there is little reason to bother with the Switch 2 or whatever.

Assuming it runs as well on the Switch as the first one did, at least.

I can only hope it does.

I wonder if there was a chance that Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland would have been a Wario game instead of using the Zelda IP. I have to imagine this was at least considered.

Most certainly wouldn't mind seeing Uncle Rupee again. I mean, that guy is basically capitalist Kyubey. As if simply creating more Tingles wasn't already a crime beyond human comprehension.