Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

They call that the Path of Santiago. It's actually a rather big cultural deal in Spain.

Oh i've heard. But i was only in Vigo for three days. No way in hell i could've done that in the limited time i had.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Arcaded courtyards, the interplay between indoor and outdoor, between shadow and light, a transitory space, subtle yet refreshing.

Thanks for sharing.😀

I purposely framed the picture in a nice way for a project i was doing too.

• Replies 177.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

43 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Oh i've heard. But i was only in Vigo for three days. No way in hell i could've done that in the limited time i had.

Well at least Rubenio will finally have the drinking buddy he always wanted.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

NISA's known for it's issues though. Other companies like 8-4 and Xseed are more highly regarded.

So... As i said earlier, you are basically trying to excuse the terrible quality. Impressive.

46 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

So... As i said earlier, you are basically trying to excuse the terrible quality. Impressive.

I literally stated NISA's known for it's issues?????????? Where is the excuse?????????????

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I literally stated NISA's known for it's issues?????????? Where is the excuse?????????????

Saying "other games" is an excuse to say its alright to be low quality cause its consistent. Which it isn't imo. And what's worse is someone screwed up a C/P job, how hard can that be? You tell me, lmao

2 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Saying "other games" is an excuse to say its alright to be low quality cause its consistent. Which it isn't imo. And what's worse is someone screwed up a C/P job, how hard can that be? You tell me, lmao

Buddy i'm saying NISA is the exception, not the rule.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Does that matter? Imo, terrible quality deserves to be called out, does it not? The fanslation of Reverie was better lol

10 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Does that matter? Imo, terrible quality deserves to be called out, does it not? The fanslation of Reverie was better lol

It matters if the point is some, not all. I would not use NISA as represented of the localization industry as a whole.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It matters if the point is some, not all. I would not use NISA as represented of the localization industry as a whole.

So then... My opinion doesnt matter because its one company? How does that work?

6 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

I'm bad because I know they are capable of something better? XD

yes,

Just consume, no complaints

(obvs /s)

6 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

This was present in the translation only

Good translation no need to complain

(again obvs s/)

4 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

These question aren't being asked in a work environment.

Some were and still met with hostility. Quite a few were.

And people discuss games on gaming forums/social media - part of the environment

When you complain about work here, does that make this a work account for you too?

am i putting where i work at and talking about my personal work experience?

There's quite a few different levels between "Imma complain about work in general here" and "I will talk about all details of work here and hate on anyone who asks questions".

If i post here where i work at and my real name and complain about work specific stuff and hate on all the clients openly like these people do you are free to call me out (and most likely i would be rightfully fired by then)

Or maybe call me out when i respond to your work related questions by swearing at you 🙂

some very extreme and specific cherry picked behavior as the norm there

No, it's the norm, and honestly, and after how many examples i post - which i did quite plenty in the different talks of loc issues we had - it's beyond "cherry picking".

I didn't even talk about Trails and Cosmo brought it up. It's an Industry wide issue.

I have lived through enough fan translation efforts that die on the vine or in drama to know there is a lot more chaff than there is gold in fan translation

so have i - and yet official translations are hardly better. In gaming it might be a bit different, but dear good, in animanga official translations are usually pretty much the death of the series in fandom spaces outside big names - because they are awful, low quality, ignore community standards, push in their own terms/ideas/politics, americanizing stuff and are quite late and a few months to few years behind compared to JP release. And that's still the case in 2024.

Gaming got a bit better during early 2010s, but it has been getting worse again in the last few years - and some names are just red flags. Not that good ones don't exist, but people taking a second look and translations due to the history of localizations of the medium/jp stuff is very legit and shouldn't be dismissed as "just nerds".

I find your view massively skewed by the survivorship bias of fan translation groups.

And i do find your view also massively skewed towards official localizations - and in fact almost everyone's here. I still follow fan translation groups in alot of niche media - there's alot of drama, but also alot of community input and love. yet without them the series wouldn't be even known here nor would there be an official localization. And if there's one, fan groups need to fix it anyway as it ends up being subpar.

And without the era of fan translations, most of us wouldn't be even here.

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

37 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You are kinda implying we should ignore the bad tl because good ones exist.

NISA is not the only who does bad localizations. Responding to a complaint with "but a few others do it good" seems like just wanting to bury the issue.

They are one of the super low quality ones, but they aren't the only bad ones.

They are not exactly the exception

It matters if the point is some, not all. I would not use NISA as represented of the localization industry as a whole.

Neither should good ones be used as a representation of the localization industry.

6 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

yes,

Just consume, no complaints

(obvs /s)

Yeah... If they keep that quality up, i'm just done. $60 for a 2020 game released way later than it ever should have been, only to get screwed over? No thank you.

8 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Good translation no need to complain

(again obvs s/)

I apolgise for my sins! Xd no complaining, since I clearly do not matter. Lol

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

should've jumped ship earlier.

Should I really get such low quality? I AM paying good money for good quality, not to get cheated. I have a right to be upset, I think.

15 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

So then... My opinion doesnt matter because its one company? How does that work?

Why are you missing the point?

15 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

and are quite late and a few months to few years behind compared to JP release.

Tbf this part specifically ain't their fault.

14 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Neither should good ones be used as a representation of the localization industry

The truth is that most localizations are acceptable. Perhaps not amazing but they aren't death either. They simply just work as intended. But those don't get noticed.

TIL that Yuzu has a Patreon set up and they specifically mentioned how Yuzu's Patreon income doubled around TotK's release. Ngl they might unironically have a case there.

5 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Should I really get such low quality? I AM paying good money for good quality, not to get cheated. I have a right to be upset, I think.

you do.

I am with you here

But Trails has been a sinking ship for a while

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Tbf this part specifically ain't their fault.

When they only pick up stuff that has been popular due to fantranslation and then kill it with their slow AND low quality releases, it is their fault.

What some publishers have been doing is trying to catch up faster to jp releases while trying to maintain high quality - and surprise surprise, it works. There're still issues, and americanization is still a problem sometimes (and quite a few non-burgers go ??? due to that and it's annoying), but it works. However such translations are not the standard, and infact, a rarity.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The truth is that most localizations are acceptable. Perhaps not amazing but they aren't death either. They simply just work as intended. But those don't get noticed.

Yes

Still, issues shouldn't be dismissed. Idiotic complaints of the "Hello" To "Hello there" kind should be rightfully ignored and laughed at, but there're alot of legit complaints that tends to be ignored due to a few idiotic examples

9 minutes ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Why are you missing the point?

What is the point?

9 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

you do.

I am with you here

But Trails has been a sinking ship for a while

Hoping for the best! For Kuro No Kiseki, since it has potential.

8 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Hoping for the best! For Kuro No Kiseki, since it has potential.

Eh

you need to Ys, especially since there are fan efforts to fix Falcom's musical disaster there - i know for a fact a music fan patch is being worked on for Ys x to coincide with the english release

17 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

And i do find your view also massively skewed towards official localizations - and in fact almost everyone's here.

Not sure if you include me here, but let me go over my opinion on this just once more.

99% of the time something that gets a fanslation is not going to get an official localization, and viceversa. If you want my most precise opinion, I'm for actuallyexistations. If there's an official translation, great, I get to enjoy the game. If there's a fanslation, great, I get to enjoy the game.

Neither localizations nor fanslations are ever perfect - I can think of plenty of examples of both fucking up off the top of my head - because they're all made by human beings who have their own opinions and preferences. I tend to be more lenient with fanslations because they're made by people who aren't paid, strictly out of love for the product, and who can be reached. For localizations I pretty much just like to poke fun at them sometimes (see, every time I've typed the word "Treehouse").

That being said, mistranslations, while occasionally frustratingly large, don't have nearly as much of a negative effect on the end product as a puerile script or an ugly UI. For me personally, of course. The topic of AI translations has been brought up before, but I have no hope that an AI would produce anything but the driest, most devoid of personality script imaginable and that would do far more damage to the story for me than any mistranslation, so I'll roll with the punches, myself.

All this, in gaming, at least. I cannot speak for how the situation is in manga. My only experiences - and make no mistake, I acknowledge this is strictly anecdotal - are exactly three fanslations in Spanish. Since I don't read much manga, I don't know any sites, so when my friend recommended mangas to me, I just took his links as well.

Well, of those three fanslations, two were so excruciatingly deplorable that I dropped both mangas in large part because of them. The doofuses were translating from English, so badly that I could just read the Google Translate every other sentence. Unironically, I could've done a better job.

As for the third... Eh. It was fine. No particularly memorable lines or dialogue, but the manga wasn't too text-focused anyway, it got the job done.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

TIL that Yuzu has a Patreon set up and they specifically mentioned how Yuzu's Patreon income doubled around TotK's release. Ngl they might unironically have a case there.

Yuzu has had that Patreon for ages. I don't know why they're only suing now. ToTK is old news.

Anyway, I don't have much sympathy for either the case of the arbitrary price raise game or the emulator that paywalls updates and ruins Engage's loading times. It'll be what it'll be. Ryujinx is the better emulator anyway, if your computer can run it.