• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

6 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Personally, I would prefer to see NPC sexuality used to characterize them a bit more. Make some of them actually gay, not just bi for the protagonist. Even more extreme, I think it would be interesting if some characters weren't interested in the player in spite of them showing interest in other people of the same gender.

While retaining a main character who gets to choose who they want to wed? -The easier solution would be to simply have a game where all romances or lack thereof, were fixed.

Having gay/bi characters who aren't interested in the player/main character, despite the latter having an array of characters they could romance, would be... a mixed proposition.

• Realistic? Yes. I get your point about letting characters sexualities be something more than "straight/gay for the main character", avatarsexual is inherently gamey.
  • However, many video games are a power fantasy/wish fulfillment. Is it worth defying that?
    • And "not everyone has to be into you", stings for the queer community. Since for the five decades that video games have been around, queer love has been rare, practically nonexistent outside of non mega-niche gaming for most of the time. And while its presence is increasing, it's still not as prevalent as it should be. It's one thing to say the anime girls shouldn't all be falling over a het male protagonist, since such stories been soooo commonplace and very "mainstreamed" in anime gaming. But the queers (and really, the straight women outside of otomes too) haven't had harems in games where they shouldn't belong.

Yet really, the best thing to do is to expand 🏳️‍🌈 in gaming. If the guys for guys and gals for gals and the persons for persons had enough representation, there would be no need to debate which approach to take. We could have wish fulfillment "you can date anyone" situations, and those where everyone's options are more limited for the sake of realism, both in reasonable abundance. And even in the present situation, I acknowledge the creative's right to pick whatever approach they want to take.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You ever think about how Selena has fluorspar pendants, Valter and Glen's color palettes are moon and sun themed, Riev and Duessel's hair matches the colors of their respective stones and Caellach...

...I don't know how Caellach fits into the pattern. He doesn't look much like a tiger eye, or a tiger for that matter. He does have massively sunken eyes. I guess his armor is black and his hair is red, which is... sometimes the color pattern of a tiger eye? Actually with the large eye bags that color pattern also applies to his eyes specifically. Huh.

I just find the fluorspar pendants neat. Selena compensates for not being the best villain in a game filled with awesome villains by having a great design.

Never outright noticed. Though I think I noticed the subtlety with Glen, that sunbaked skin tone stands out. (Actually, should most or many FE fliers be more tanned at least on their faces if they spent a good deal of their day flying around with nothing to shade their visages?) -Duessel doesn't fit BTW. Obsidian is black, not purple. And considering obsidian is really sharp but on the fragile side, a Great Knight with a good 17 Def isn't the best thing to give the epithet to.

I do like the Gemstone Generals being titled after gemstones. The beauties of geology make for good names.

Never get inspired for a story idea when you can't write up right away. Feels like torture as it runs wild in your head, trying to be set free...

Happy Leap Day! It's also Old Hubba's birthday.

On 2/27/2024 at 8:11 PM, Newtype06 said:

Game Freak... i kneel!

It turns out the key to GF getting respect was giving Zygarde its own game. But LZA isn't releasing until next year, there is still time for another ILCA game.

On 2/27/2024 at 8:28 PM, Armagon said:

I mean, Godzilla was always the name tbf.

"Gojira" and "Godzilla" are more similar that most name changes, but I wouldn't call them the same thing (the latter is occasionally transliterated into Japanese as "Gazzira"). As a fun fact, the original three options for Godzilla's English name were Gojira, Godila, and Gozila.

23 hours ago, GRANDGOBO said:

I am sort of- well very confused so every bit of info helps!

That is the usual response to this thread, I think. Welcome to the teehee.

7 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I thought Pokemon Legends Celebi to be more likely (Celebi is the time travel pokemon...), but with Kalos's ancient war, I knew it would be ripe for an early Legends entry, and thought it more likely than anything Unova related.

I like how GF skipped to Kalos because it suggests they wanted to make it because have an interesting idea, rather than just giving it another game out of obligation like what happened with BDSP. I don't know if LZA will have anything to do with the ancient war or not, but I'm interested in seeing if 'A' refers to a new Legendary. *Insert joke about Xenoblade 3: Future Redeemed here*

1 hour ago, Newtype06 said:

When the final boss uses Mega Mewtwo Z out of nowhere and destroys your team

76e.jfif

Edited by Lightchao42

6 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

especially since good translators will be replaced too

*me looking at CS translations* 

What? Xd

(This is a joke of course)

I finally got to see this:

Had I known, I would've actually gone to see it on theaters. XD

Hm? Switching party members requires returning to the guild-houses? Hmm...

Damn, my team is over ten levels higher than Tita's! XD

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Tifa bros... we won.

Also

image.png?ex=65f3b907&is=65e14407&hm=a4cc5db91e7a35c667241267f2c8aa6cecd6e8154ad52563fe0bb9a7b6f10ce0&=

We finally got what we wanted my friend

Something something Canonical Event... wait, this isn't Spiderverse...

Well, when it comes to the multiverse, somewhere out there Cloud got bitten by a Shinra Radioactive Spider...

Anyway, I'm assuming the other date scenes don't have a kiss, then?

13 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

We finally got what we wanted my friend

I wouldn't celebrate just yet. We still got enough length of plot left to go...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

15 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I wouldn't celebrate just yet. We still got enough length of plot left to go...

image.png?ex=65f3beb7&is=65e149b7&hm=eb3e4936065402387407daf3ea27e68c6677212b30b8a8e8256432e8c87c4248&=

Faithful remake bros... I don't feel so good...

15 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Only Yuffie's, just like the original, but it's only a peck on the cheek

Damn, those blue sheep were such a pain.

Okay, off to Kaldia Tunnel... but that's for next time.

Tifa bros... we won.

I mean, Tifa always won, even setting the The Old Spoiler aside. Not say to Aerith couldn't have developed independent feelings for someone like her old boyfriend ...but he's why she first took to Cumulonimbus Conflict. (I've only played through FFVII once, so forgive me if my memory is off.)

48 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

That ship sailed years ago. If things won't stay faithful, let it be entertaining at least.🍿

I haven't really followed Remake and Rebirth, though I have seen the criticisms that Rebirth is ReFiller. Going off my memory of VII, that would make sense. Midgard was a tight opening, but the hours that followed after that and before the Forgotten Capital... felt too loose. Rather directionless, feeling like low stakes or chill? Just the heroes chasing after SephyActuallyJenova, bumping into other things along the way. I could conceive of the possibility that once Re3 (Rejuvenation? Regeneration? Recycle? Replete? Resound? Redo? Reborn? Rebuild? Repeat? Repetition? Resident Evil?) is out and the dust settles, that the trilogy will go Best-Worst-Mixed in terms of retrospective reception.

And as for VIIRe3, I've also seen the remarks that it won't be able to be so laden with filler as the first two Res are. I don't remember the full contents of Forgotten Capital and beyond, what I remember is FC-Northern Crater-Junon with Tifa... First Two Huge Materia-Cloud's Development-Second Two Huge Materia-Diamond Weapon Battle-Return to Midgard-Final Dungeon. It actually doesn't sound like that much, but then I have no firsthand experience of how much Remake and Rebirth stretch the tiniest bit of plot, and whatever zaniness Square is adding that'll also take up time and resources. Plus, the Weapon battles are going to consume 5% of the budget, and the final final final final final battle with Sephiroth will take up 7.777777%.

As for the criticism of defeating Sephiroth over and over. Well, he showed up early in the original game, and most of it was spent in pursuit of him. That is true. -Although that was just Jenova in Sephiroth guise ...although Jenova is somehow just a puppet of Sephiroth when it should be the opposite b/c how the heck did an embryo become the master over the cells of a powerful ancient alien?. Nonetheless, the Jenova thing meant there were pretty much never epic one vs. one duels between Cloud and Sephiroth until that weird little one hit kill after the final battle. That, maybe Advent Children (I never watched it), and too much shounen anime, I can imagine have distorted the perception at Square of how much Cloud & Sephiroth Epics Clashing happened, and perhaps should even exist.

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And as for VIIRe3, I've also seen the remarks that it won't be able to be so laden with filler as the first two Res are. I don't remember the full contents of Forgotten Capital and beyond, what I remember is FC-Northern Crater-Junon with Tifa... First Two Huge Materia-Cloud's Development-Second Two Huge Materia-Diamond Weapon Battle-Return to Midgard-Final Dungeon. It actually doesn't sound like that much, but then I have no firsthand experience of how much Remake and Rebirth stretch the tiniest bit of plot, and whatever zaniness Square is adding that'll also take up time and resources. Plus, the Weapon battles are going to consume 5% of the budget, and the final final final final final battle with Sephiroth will take up 7.777777%.

There's still the Wutai stuff, since ReBirth didn't have it. Sure, it was optional in the original, but they might make it mandatory now, and saved for the third game. ReBirth also skipped Rocket Town, changing how Cid showed up. Though if they keep the Huge Materia stuff, then visiting it might be inevitable anyway. Hmm... I wonder if that's why they skipped it. To avoid redundancy.

6 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

Well, it's official: I hate Wikia, now.

Wait, what are you trying to do?

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Finished Monarch: Legacy of Monsters. I feel like you definitely could've trimmed this show a bit. The 50s storyline was definitely the better half of the show.

3 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

"Gojira" and "Godzilla" are more similar that most name changes, but I wouldn't call them the same thing

Maybe not back when it came out but Toho does officially spell it as "Godzilla" in promotional material, even in Japan.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

TIL FF7 had romancing.

image.png?ex=65f3beb7&is=65e149b7&hm=eb3e4936065402387407daf3ea27e68c6677212b30b8a8e8256432e8c87c4248&=

Buddy is surprised after seeing all the changes Part 1 made? Ngl i'm impressed.

Just now, Armagon said:

TIL FF7 had romancing.

Well, not exactly. CloudxTifa was always the endgame, but halfway through Disc 1 you could have Cloud take any of the female party members, or Barret, on a date, pretty much. Just the one time and didn't affect anything later on.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

TIL FF7 had romancing.

It's one-event thing. Happens sometime -not too far in advance methinks- before Aerith leaves the group to start praying and get slain'ing.

You can't actively choose who it is IIRC. Basically your various responses to things earlier in the game decide who Cloud ends up with on the Gold Saucer "date", includes any of the females, and a just-friends Barret version too. Although I think the odds were stacked that playing blind, you would be very very very very very likely to get stuck with Aerith -or so I heard.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, not exactly. CloudxTifa was always the endgame, but halfway through Disc 1 you could have Cloud take any of the female party members, or Barret, on a date, pretty much. Just the one time and didn't affect anything later on.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It's one-event thing. Happens sometime -shortly methinks- before Aerith leaves the group to start praying and get slain'ing.

You can't actively choose who it is IIRC. Basically your various responses to things earlier in the game decide who Cloud ends up with on the Gold Saucer "date", includes any of the females, and a just-friends Barret version too. Although I think the odds were stacked that playing blind, you would be very very very very very likely to get stuck with Aerith -or so I heard).

I like how Barret specifically is the one guy you could take out on a date lol.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I guess it's due to time-related issues. Cid and Vincent join too late to make it believable enough to have Cloud hang out with them for the fun of it, Cait Sith can't for plot related reasons, and Red XIII... hmm... why couldn't he, I wonder. Beyond the fact he's not human to do so while in a huge amusement park, I guess.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Just now, Armagon said:

He politely asks Cloud if he could be of help raising his adopted daughter for all the years to come.😛 

They became buds I guess, I can see why they had it, as odd as it it.

I recall the Barret version is trimmed out one scene the ladies had. Not sure which one, but I think it was the stage play where Cloud playing the hero had to rescue/kiss a captive princess.

16 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Wait, what are you trying to do?

Spent all day trying to modify an infobox template. Turns out that certain fields of it aren't editable by default and have to resort to asking for help with this weird computer magic. 

Idk, I'm so used to having an button for just about anything and takes this long to improve functionality on an fucking UI issue

Oh, and there's was  an pedo on one of the wikis that's about to be closed

Edited by Armchair General

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I recall the Barret version is trimmed out one scene the ladies had. Not sure which one, but I think it was the stage play where Cloud playing the hero had to rescue/kiss a captive princess.

Yes, it was that one.

2 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

Spent all day trying to modify an infobox template. Turns out that certain fields of it aren't editable by default and have to resort to asking for help with this weird computer magic. 

Idk, I'm so used to having an button for just about anything and takes this long to improve functionality on an fucking UI issue

Oh, and there's an pedo on one of the wikis that's about to be closed

Oh, I see. Can't say I have much to help there, sorry.

10 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

If I have a bias in this, its that I have seen through experience that most official localizations are just fine, some could be better, some could be worse, but it definitely isn't dire enough to harass people about it.

I mean complaining about the work of an underpaid individual because of the minute details of a translation not being 1 to 1 with the original language (A feat that is impossible to confirm the true authenticity of if you aren't a speaker of both) is peak consumerism towards capitalistic incentivized art, let alone harassment. Who is at fault here? Is it the company pushing harsh deadlines and inconsistent information between overseas teams? Or is it the single freelancer just trying to make a living with the little cut they get for their work?