Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Wakes up, and before I can even open my eyes, my brain pulls out an Edgar Allen Poe quote I saw in a video game.: "Sleep, those little slices of death, how I loathe them." -I can't catch a break.๐Ÿ˜ฃ๐Ÿ˜จ

ย 

5 hours ago, Dayni said:

There were people who all their lives knew Pluto as a planet, dying before it lost that status.

interesting is all.

Pluto-Erasure.png

And there will be countless many who never knew it as a planet. (From the video game I spent much of this month on.)

6 hours ago, Dayni said:

Having multiple records of your dealings being not above board and being known for that. Some legacy, one might say. Course, this is all we have. Imagine if it actually was infrequent and this is how you're remembered.

To be remembered at all is a good thing if you ask me. -They said these were found possibly in the ruins of Ea-nasir's house; the tablet was discovered over a century ago, but, things stuffed in museums sometimes go unnoticed.

6 hours ago, Dayni said:

I'd see what avenues there are to getting out and meeting people. It certainly helped.

Bound to be better than staring at dakis to temporarily stabilize one's mood as I did two days ago.๐Ÿ˜† ...Which then reminded me of one short indie visual novel,ย Mediterranea Inferno, from earlier this year. Of which I read in reviews that one of the three main characters has an extremely suggestive (and queer b/c all three guys happen to be gay)ย "vision", symbolizing how he dealt with the social isolation of the Covid lockdown.

6 hours ago, Dayni said:

Goddamm international shipping

The plague of humanity. Literally one might say, the Black Death and Covid couldn't have traveled so far so fast without it.

ย 

ย 

3 hours ago, Codename Shrimp said:

Why couldn't Falcom keep him :sob:

Then we wouldn't have gotten this.:

...Which sounds to me like a perfect way to start up a workout?๐ŸŽถ๐Ÿ‹๏ธโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿ‹๏ธโ€โ™€๏ธ

• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Not the best cropping there.

xIV8QGvN?format=jpg&name=large

Been fiddling around a bit more with mages recently. It's unfortunate for Enid that anything that buffs the other mages indirectly nerfs her since she doesn't really have anything truly unique to her. Pallas Leia is great but Aegina can potentially deal similar damage numbers with standard attacks. I also feel like the better you get, the less need there is for the instant delete button.
I'm gonna try giving her a decent HP, strength and defense boost on class change. See if I can turn her into a mage who isn't afraid of any and all melee situations. Maybe that will work.

I try that approach with Chris too. Not that she needs a buff per se, but it would be nice if her class change were to feel like a meaningful improvement beyond that admittedly snazzy new cape.

What I would really love to do with Enid is to have her start out with a higher fire rank after her class change. But that's not something I can do with the randomizer. Increased her fire growth from 80 to 90 at least, but that didn't have a huge effect.

Meanwhile I am rather happy with my recent Axel changes. Finally decided to say "screw it" and simply give him a 90% axe growth. Considering he doesn't have Dean's Desperation or Daoud's bulk, I think he is still rather unique and isn't really competing with them.

Edited by BrightBow

2 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Been fiddling around a bit more with mages recently. It's unfortunate for Enid that anything that buffs the other mages indirectly nerfs her since she doesn't really have anything truly unique to her. Pallas Leia is great but Aegina can potentially deal similar damage numbers with standard attacks. I also feel like the better you get, the less need there is for the instant delete button.

Never stopped to think about it that way, but honestly? Yeah, you've got a point there. When you actually know how to work with her, Aegina is basically an Enid that exists a lot longer, gets better a lot sooner with far less investment and has a better ranged option in Pallas Riana.

Enid's got her niches, like the vanishstone strats for Pallas Leia ambushes, and most notably she shines more than anyone in the wyvern map, but for the most part Aegina is better when properly used.

It honestly is really annoying how giving Enid some Fire skill in advance does not work.
Because it actually works for Convert. If I give Owen dark skill, he keeps that dark skill whenever he changes religions. But with Enid's class change, it seems that whatever value I set gets overwritten.

Edited by BrightBow

14 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

ITALY OUT WOOHOO

Speaking of sports & Italy, I heard the Tour de France began today. And for the first time in its long history, it started in Italy (Florence to be precise). I casually watch a few minutes of the weeks-long event each day.๐Ÿšดโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿšดโ€โ™‚๏ธ

The thing for this post is "Hey, that's something I didn't know before"

Also, Dublin can't win the football.

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Wakes up, and before I can even open my eyes, my brain pulls out an Edgar Allen Poe quote I saw in a video game.: "Sleep, those little slices of death, how I loathe them." -I can't catch a break.๐Ÿ˜ฃ๐Ÿ˜จ

That next Knives Out film had to go for waking up dead in the title

Pluto-Erasure.png

And there will be countless many who never knew it as a planet. (From the video game I spent much of this month on.)

RIP in pieces Pluto, you deserve recognition too. Maybe they'll have found that odd reading that might be a planet (or something like Pluto) by that time?

Bound to be better than staring at dakis to temporarily stabilize one's mood as I did two days ago.๐Ÿ˜† ...Which then reminded me of one short indie visual novel,ย Mediterranea Inferno, from earlier this year. Of which I read in reviews that one of the three main characters has an extremely suggestive (and queer b/c all three guys happen to be gay)ย "vision", symbolizing how he dealt with the social isolation of the Covid lockdown.

I dare ask three MC in a VN? So you can choose who you play as? Or am I misreading protagonist into it?

The plague of humanity. Literally one might say, the Black Death and Covid couldn't have traveled so far so fast without it.

I mean, so fast? sure. More distance, more exposure events, makes sense that shipping is filthy

Wonder how many species have spread as far as they have due to taking advantage of human transit

2 hours ago, Codename Shrimp said:

ITALY OUT WOOHOO

The Swiss threw my lasagna out the window

That was one tough game. But still, QF. First QF in like 8 years Woohooooooooooooooooooooo

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

You wouldn't want Lasagna made by that italian team

Edited by Codename Shrimp

Alright! Defeated the Bane Dragon (apparently also showed up in RF2 as a boss as well?) and reached Rune Prana 2.

Now I really need to upgrade any remaining equipment with item drops from Rune Prana 1. I think at this point I need to go with a Happy Ring and 4-Leaf Clover at all times, stop.

The Turnip Flurry is next. Thankfully that can be less RNG prone than the harvest festivals...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Watched a food documentary on bread baking (World Eats Bread, National Geographic) I discovered only today.๐Ÿฅ– As with the recent trend of food docs, it's not about just showing the audience delicious food, it's about telling the stories of the lives of the people who make it.

While the documentary was good ...seeing people live their lives as they choose to, content and loving it, despite the toils of daily food production (one sourdough baker said they get to work at 12:30 AM, another called it a 20hr job). Witnessing these lives being lived, the intentional appeal to joy, to the transcendent, complex human condition... I remember how I felt watching a few episodes of Street Food: Asia on Netflix years ago, and that was when I my mind was not afflicted. So seeing the same now ...it's too much for me!๐Ÿ˜ฃ Something about it, I don't know what, it makes me... sad? Upset? I know I'm not jealous that they're content and I'm not. Is it that in living "the good life", they've made peace with their mortal finitude? That I can't personally accept that tragic limitedness of all life? -I wanted to cry, I wanted to panic-breathe, but did not as I was in a room with someone else (I wanted to watch it with them).

ย 

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

The thing for this post is "Hey, that's something I didn't know before"

ย 

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.๐Ÿ˜ƒย 

I need to watch more queer stuff, at least docs. Anything beyond that, well despite beingย ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ, I'm hesitant to because it's just not what I'm used to and I don't venture beyond my narrow comfort zone too often.

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

RIP in pieces Pluto, you deserve recognition too. Maybe they'll have found that odd reading that might be a planet (or something like Pluto) by that time?

Spoiler- it's actually the location of the final battle (well, a manmade "mobile planet" orbiting Pluto, close enough).๐Ÿ˜€ This one little exchange from like somewhere in the first ten chapters foreshadowed the final battle forty chapters later. As Acacia pointed out Super Robot Wars W was developed/released when Pluto got demoted IRL. Likely very intentional then.๐Ÿ˜›

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

I mean, so fast? sure. More distance, more exposure events, makes sense that shipping is filthy

I think the Black Death also went via the Silk Roads. The Pax Mongolica was alive if near its end when the bubonic plague swept the Old World. Yersinia pestis came by sea and land alike.

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

Wonder how many species have spread as far as they have due to taking advantage of human transit

The list should be long. Like every invasive species ever, plus not-so-bad things like horses -albeit we brought ๐Ÿดย where we did on purpose.

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

I dare ask three MC in a VN? So you can choose who you play as? Or am I misreading protagonist into it?

They're all fixed names & backstories with different personal issues. Mediterranea Inferno is about three Italian friends who, following the end of Covid-19 lockdown, choose to meet for the first time since the pandemic swept the world. While on their little vacation together, they're visited in a dream by a gender-ambiguous figure who offers them paradise or something like that. To do so, one of the boys must consume enough (3 or 4 I think) of special "fruits" that result in intense visions. That's where a modicum of player choice comes into the picture for limited replayability (the game is still like only 5 hours long). As there is a finite amount of those fruits, only one boy can receive the ultimate reward, and with the exception of the first, the player decides who gets the fruit.ย 

-Again, all what I read in the reviews. I don't own the game, nor intend to. Since from what I read, all three boys desire the aforementioned fruits of a limited number, and at least one review indicated that there will be acrimony amongst the trio because of that. I'm none too fond of unhappy endings, and are fine simply reading reviews about these kinds of indie artistic experiences that are so less banal than non-indie games.๐Ÿ˜†

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

Lasagna is medieval in origin, and we do have a recipe from a 14th-century cookbook for it, an English cookbook (The Forme of Cury) ...and an Italian one 70~75 years before that๐Ÿ˜œย (the Liber de Coquina).๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น Though the English "loseyns"...

Screen-Shot-2024-06-29-at-6-55-02-PM.png

...does not greatly resemble the modern dish.๐Ÿ˜› Pasta sheets boiled in meat broth, shreds of soft cheese intermixed with it (or a sprinkling of cheese in the earlier Italian recipe), and topped with "Powder Douce"- a medieval spice mixture on the sweet side (though no one standard blend over place and century).

No red, because this is the Middle Ages.๐Ÿ…ย Columbus hadn't imported the tomatoes and exported the smallpox yet.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

50 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I think the Black Death also went via the Silk Roads. The Pax Mongolica was alive if near its end when the bubonic plague swept the Old World. Yersinia pestis came by sea and land alike.

Meanwhile in CK2...

3T9ker7.png

Couldn't even breach the White Cliffs of Dover.

Okay, time to head back to Aiyo Fahraway Outpost. It's time to head... TO THE MOON.

I like the battle remix of the path here. After the one in Hooktail's Castle, this has to be my next favorite.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Okay, that segment with the Elite X-Naut showering is... certainly new, pft. Wait...

*looks up*

Oh, it is in the original as well? Guess I never thought to go there before, haha. But now that they added a fourth card key to access the boss area, it's now mandatory. Huh.

Alright, time to fight against Mazin... er, Magnus von Grapple 2.0. Let's do this!

---

Alright, doing last preps before starting Chapter 8... which I won't actually start until after my brother returns.

Also, huh, the First Strike badge is already auto-defeating the Magikoopas and Hammer Bros., despite the fact they still give out star points (Hammer Bros. still giving two each, even). There must be some other factor to determine when an enemy is already "too weak" for the badge's effects to kick in. Hmm...

Okay, it's done. Next time I play, it'll be straight through the Thousand Year Door. *roll credits*

Now... what to play in the meantime? I can always resume Rescue Team DX, start the next Three Houses playthrough, keep trying to get that last Blade in Xenoblade 2... perhaps even begin SRW X now. Certainly I don't lack options.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

8 hours ago, Codename Shrimp said:

That was one tough game. But still, QF. First QF in like 8 years Woohooooooooooooooooooooo

I'd forgotten it had been that long since, German soccer has had it rough the last while.

Watch Georgia actually beat Spain and Germany now and be Euro 2024 darlings

While the documentary was good ...seeing people live their lives as they choose to, content and loving it, despite the toils of daily food production (one sourdough baker said they get to work at 12:30 AM, another called it a 20hr job). Witnessing these lives being lived, the intentional appeal to joy, to the transcendent, complex human condition... I remember how I felt watching a few episodes of Street Food: Asia on Netflix years ago, and that was when I my mind was not afflicted. So seeing the same now ...it's too much for me!๐Ÿ˜ฃ Something about it, I don't know what, it makes me... sad? Upset? I know I'm not jealous that they're content and I'm not. Is it that in living "the good life", they've made peace with their mortal finitude? That I can't personally accept that tragic limitedness of all life? -I wanted to cry, I wanted to panic-breathe, but did not as I was in a room with someone else (I wanted to watch it with them).

That's the thing. Content may be arguably generous (though I don't know about those who were in the doc). There's a lot to be doing in food production, to be careful of and when it's your livelihood, it's a long job that needs doing.

I've a family member who does bagels and there's a good deal of work in that, late hours, plenty of time selling too. The kids have no interest in getting into it seeing the time involved.

My point with that was that it probably would have travelled slower without ships.

Spoiler- it's actually the location of the final battle (well, a manmade "mobile planet" orbiting Pluto, close enough).๐Ÿ˜€ This one little exchange from like somewhere in the first ten chapters foreshadowed the final battle forty chapters later. As Acacia pointed out Super Robot Wars W was developed/released when Pluto got demoted IRL. Likely very intentional then.๐Ÿ˜›

And the villain remembered, realising "I can plant my secret base where everyone forgot, mwahahahaha". Good eye on that guy.

Lasagna is medieval in origin, and we do have a recipe from a 14th-century cookbook for it, an English cookbook (The Forme of Cury) ...and an Italian one 70~75 years before that๐Ÿ˜œย (the Liber de Coquina).๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น Though the English "loseyns"...

Screen-Shot-2024-06-29-at-6-55-02-PM.png

...does not greatly resemble the modern dish.๐Ÿ˜› Pasta sheets boiled in meat broth, shreds of soft cheese intermixed with it (or a sprinkling of cheese in the earlier Italian recipe), and topped with "Powder Douce"- a medieval spice mixture on the sweet side (though no one standard blend over place and century).

No red, because this is the Middle Ages.๐Ÿ…ย Columbus hadn't imported the tomatoes and exported the smallpox yet.

Wonder how that powder tastes. And true, no tomate.

"exported the smallpox" - Yep, what fun.

4 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Now... what to play in the meantime? I can always resume Rescue Team DX, start the next Three Houses playthrough, keep trying to get that last Blade in Xenoblade 2... perhaps even begin SRW X now. Certainly I don't lack options.

Spin a wheel for it.

Man, IS really was ahead of their time when they dumped down the script of Radiant Dawn.

I do wonder if the Awakening script was given the same treatment as Radiant Dawn at some point, given just how dry it is. Although likely with a staff that cared a lot less about making the best out of a bad situation.

It's hard to imagine that a less bad script would make the story of that game suddenly even remotely salvageable, but there is some stuff that reminds me of what happened in Radiant Dawn.
Like how Say'ri are her brother are introduced as some random members of their respective forces. It's only several chapters later when Say'ri is suddenly addressed as the "princess of Chousin", and it's very much threated as if the player knew already.
Similarly in Radiant Dawn Pelleas' Blood Pact is transferred to Micaiah at some point. But the scene showing that got cut. Yet even in that version of the script that plot point is suddenly casually referenced in a Part 4 convo as if the player already knew.

Micaiah: Here, look at this.
Sothe: The mark of the blood pact? Itโ€™s faded a lotโ€ฆ
Micaiah: Do you think itโ€™s because of the air? Or Yuneโ€™s influence on my body?
Sothe: Maybe. Could it be something else?
Micaiah: I donโ€™t know. With all thatโ€™s happened, Iโ€™d forgotten about the blood pact. But I shouldnโ€™t forget. The people of Daein are still in danger.
Sothe: Maybe itโ€™ll fade away completely.
Micaiah: Mmm, wouldnโ€™t that be nice? I have a few other wishes you can grant, as well.

And of course the CG with Micaiah's Blood Pact mark can still be seen in the sound test.

fe10-micaiahs-blood-pact-mark.png

I suppose it also reminds me of how the Shadow Dragon remake cut out Lena being a Macedonian noblewoman.
After all, it's only character building. And they were quite specific on the fact that they go out of their way to cut this kind of stuff on purpose.

https://serenesforest.net/general/interviews/radiant-dawn/nintendo-dream/page-2/

In other words, by taking out the scenes concentrating on character building, we hope that players new to the series will be able enjoy the game more by just concentrating on the main story. Weโ€™ve heard from the more casual players that the storyline was too hard to follow in our previous games, so weโ€™ve thought out this new structure and have found it to be the best solution to this problem.

13 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

3T9ker7.png

Couldn't even breach the White Cliffs of Dover.

The chalk is an antiviral in this timeline. And the story of St. Patrick mentions him expelling rats instead of the snakes.

Lower Egypt was doing surprisingly well at that moment, odd given the Upper pandemic. The path of contagion is weird.

12 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Okay, time to head back to Aiyo Fahraway Outpost. It's time to head... TO THE MOON.

Can't resist making a Dan' reference?๐Ÿ˜›ย Does a cannon count as a mass driver?

ย 

5 hours ago, Dayni said:

That's the thing. Content may be arguably generous (though I don't know about those who were in the doc). There's a lot to be doing in food production, to be careful of and when it's your livelihood, it's a long job that needs doing.

I've a family member who does bagels and there's a good deal of work in that, late hours, plenty of time selling too. The kids have no interest in getting into it seeing the time involved.

One of the bread bakers was retiring after 20 years on the job to make more time for family and travel and whatnot. Certainly makes me understand changes in business ownership more.

Although, one of the others at an earlier stage in their life, was doing the baking business at home thanks to Californian laws now encouraging a "cottage food industry".

5 hours ago, Dayni said:

Wonder how that powder tastes.

The specific blend the modern re-creator used based on their reading of various historical documents was- 1 tablespoon sugar, 2 teaspoons of ginger, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon grains of paradise. Nothing you couldn't try at home, as long as you could find the paradise (which have a black pepper-like taste, but is actually related to cardamon as well as turmeric and ginger).

53 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The chalk is an antiviral in this timeline. And the story of St. Patrick mentions him expelling rats instead of the snakes.

Lower Egypt was doing surprisingly well at that moment, odd given the Upper pandemic. The path of contagion is weird.

Oh no, by the time I took the screenshot, it was already petering out in the Middle East. It did affect the entirety of Egypt, Arabia, Levant, Anatolia, Persia, etc. And after the screenshot, it would continue east through Muscovy and into Siberia.

In the rule settings I set the plague to randomly spawn and also have its spread more or less randomized. That's why it somehow decided to spare Great Britain + Ireland (it's also hard to see, but the Balearic islands also avoided the plague), and I think it also poured over into India. And also why it appeared before 1000AD, if you noticed, heh.

53 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Can't resist making a Dan' reference?๐Ÿ˜›ย Does a cannon count as a mass driver?

Hehe, you know me!

Well, it could launch Mario and company to the Moon, so I'd say yes.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

7 hours ago, Dayni said:

I'd forgotten it had been that long since, German soccer has had it rough the last while.

Yes. Usually QF was the minimum, but we have been pretty bad lately.

Or as our commentator said: "Last year's team would've lost the game"

Then again, we aren't the only Football giants who are/were going through a phase. Look at Brazil and Italy for example.

Edited by Codename Shrimp