Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

7 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I never did try Julius mode. Dawn for me was a one and done deal. Never went back to it after I first played it so many years ago, unlike Ecclesia.

DoS Julius Mode I found to be one of the more balanced alternate modes in the Igavanias. (It's certainly not effortlessly broken like Maxim/AoS Julius/Albus/Zangetsu.) As DoS was my first, it too was my first of the alternates.

-Unused text indicates that Hammer was cut from being playable in the mode, which would've been nice. Since the trio of Julius-Yoko-Alucard intentionally aligns with Trevor-Sypha-Alucard from Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, yet there is nobody in DoS JM who fills in for Grant.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Blue North Carolina is back on the menu boys.

From what I caught on TV, it seems the NC governorship has been sewn into the blue column for months. -But even with the headlines, it doesn't assure that the down-ballot and up-ballot will be affected.

• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Now we have the Palworld lawsuit people expected from day 1.

Notably the avenue they went for was patent infringement. Nothing has been confirmed as to what patent is supposedly infringed mind, but some people are arguing this one might be it.

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The article did mention rural depopulation. The youth of China want to be where the job opportunities are- the cities. The same is true in nearby Japan, rural communities are aging away, (soon-to-be) ghost towns are the result.

Same here if we're being honest. There's places that had hundreds long since hollowed out, but you have it happening still here too.

Silly-Achievement.png

🤣

Sounds like a warrant being made for Horny Jail

6 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

As in, how many entries the game has? Here's the full list so far:

https://akurasu.net/wiki/Super_Robot_Wars/DD/Series

Pac-Man's in this game.

Jeez, they're not messing around on crossovers there.

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

...Which I guess depends on how you define "haunted"? La Gian robots running on elemental spirits being what first springs to mind. I'm also thinking of Compatikaiser -but Roar's soul is in the Roar Armor.

Spoiler

I think I heard about souls being used in EVA units, but I wouldn't know enough about Evangelion to be sure.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

It's always the sex stuff and feeling shame about it

That's some old comments to have break your candidacy, but I supposed severity is the focus here?

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-Unused text indicates that Hammer was cut from being playable in the mode, which would've been nice. Since the trio of Julius-Yoko-Alucard intentionally aligns with Trevor-Sypha-Alucard from Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, yet there is nobody in DoS JM who fills in for Grant.

Iga confirmed show canon? /s

Once again, I'm hearing Fuck You Grant. He gets Voldo'd in Judgement, has pretty much no callback outside of people pretending to be him and when the other three get references he gets crickets.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But even with the headlines, it doesn't assure that the down-ballot and up-ballot will be affected.

If Republicans were trying to get him out, they were probably worried for a reason.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

That's some old comments to have break your candidacy, but I supposed severity is the focus here?

Saying you're a black Nazi would do that yeah.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Sounds like a warrant being made for Horny Jail

I just love they made an achievement out of it.😆

39.0% of players have this achievement. Myself included.😂

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Pac-Man's in this game.

Well Namco owns SRW, as it does Pac, it's an easy, in-house addition. Unlike Live-A-Live.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

To an SRW fan, I feel like DD should have more crossovers. -But then there had been the (now-discontinued I think) tower defense mobile game SRW Cross-Omega, which absorbed more than a few crossovers.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Same here if we're being honest. There's places that had hundreds long since hollowed out, but you have it happening still here too.

Even territorially small-ish countries aren't immune? Well, rural communities are by definition small.

Hopefully the Japanese issue of kudokushi -"lonely deaths"- doesn't become a global phenomenon. Meaning, old person dies alone, their death goes unnoticed for days, even weeks, the odor of decaying bodies sometimes being what the discoverers of the dead first encounter. I read about the issue, and Japan's efforts to more effectively monitor its growing senior population, as nobody wants anyone to pass on this sad way.

Why on Earth did I bring up such a grim matter?😐

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Now we have the Palworld lawsuit people expected from day 1.

Notably the avenue they went for was patent infringement. Nothing has been confirmed as to what patent is supposedly infringed mind, but some people are arguing this one might be it.

So that's the "Pokeball Patent"?

I did read some of the firestorm that has unfolded. Whilst Ninty has been known to be overly litigious, I will presently withhold judgement until we see what they allege is the problem. Considering Monster Hunter Stories exist, and: Nexomon, Coromon, Dragon Quest Monsters, Shin Megami Tensei (which precedes the 'mon, like DQV), too, it couldn't logically be Nintendo thinking they have a monopoly on monster-collection.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Once again, I'm hearing Fuck You Grant. He gets Voldo'd in Judgement, has pretty much no callback outside of people pretending to be him and when the other three get references he gets crickets.

...Is Voldo the worst character out there?🤨 Okay, Voldo being a total inhuman freak might not exactly be a good thing if the blind/deaf/nonverbal communities think he isn't.😐 IDK if they do. -I've always (I played SCII GC version in my youth, thanks Link) liked his use of katars though, my introduction to that obscure weapon.

Judgment didn't have to include Grant, yet it did so anyhow. Not like Castlevania has a huge character lineup to choose in the first place, but the Forgotten Fourth was granted one of the fourteen playable character slots. Is not Judgment the best Mr. Danasty has gotten since ancient CIII? Maybe he should've shown up in Curse of Darkness.

Also, that NES-era localization mistake of calling a thief, a pirate, seems to have bitten Grant. Alucard getting a glorious! second lease on life thanks to Iga certainly also left Grant relatively worse off.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

If Republicans were trying to get him out, they were probably worried for a reason.

Not unlike Kennedy Jr. trying to get off some state ballots. But only some.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Pac-Man's in this game.

Yep. XD

It's worth pointing out both SRW and Pac-Man belong to Namco, so not a hard crossover to do. Still, it took until now to happen, I guess.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Oh, this is tame compared to what Cross-Omega had.

https://akurasu.net/wiki/Super_Robot_Wars/X-Omega/Series

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Hey, at least the Sorrow novel gave us Michelle Danasty.

If Devil May Cry anime was so good why isn't there a Devil May Cry anime 2-

What an odd thing to happen twice. Not because it makes no sense but more that this is happening now, but then again I supposed the (mostly mid) 2010's were a bit of a series slump. On the other hand no game since 2019 if I recall correctly.

39.0% of players have this achievement. Myself included.😂

Not sure if I expected the number to be higher or lower.

Even territorially small-ish countries aren't immune? Well, rural communities are by definition small.

Hopefully the Japanese issue of kudokushi -"lonely deaths"- doesn't become a global phenomenon. Meaning, old person dies alone, their death goes unnoticed for days, even weeks, the odor of decaying bodies sometimes being what the discoverers of the dead first encounter. I read about the issue, and Japan's efforts to more effectively monitor its growing senior population, as nobody wants anyone to pass on this sad way.

Why on Earth did I bring up such a grim matter?😐

Kinda making an argument of communal housing for all elderly with that unfortunately.

I assume because it came to mind after what I said  and you had to share.

I did read some of the firestorm that has unfolded. Whilst Ninty has been known to be overly litigious, I will presently withhold judgement until we see what they allege is the problem. Considering Monster Hunter Stories exist, and: Nexomon, Coromon, Dragon Quest Monsters, Shin Megami Tensei (which precedes the 'mon, like DQV), too, it couldn't logically be Nintendo thinking they have a monopoly on monster-collection.

No point in me casting any specific aspersions when the case is still missing details in public, so I can't really assume the significance yet.

...Is Voldo the worst character out there?🤨 Okay, Voldo being a total inhuman freak might not exactly be a good thing if the blind/deaf/nonverbal communities think he isn't.😐 IDK if they do. -I've always (I played SCII GC version in my youth, thanks Link) liked his use of katars though, my introduction to that obscure weapon.

Judgment didn't have to include Grant, yet it did so anyhow. Not like Castlevania has a huge character lineup to choose in the first place, but the Forgotten Fourth was granted one of the fourteen playable character slots. Is not Judgment the best Mr. Danasty has gotten since ancient CIII? Maybe he should've shown up in Curse of Darkness.

Also, that NES-era localization mistake of calling a thief, a pirate, seems to have bitten Grant. Alucard getting a glorious! second lease on life thanks to Iga certainly also left Grant relatively worse off.

Not gonna lie, as someone who played SC years back (II/III) Voldo always was just off to me. I just never liked fighting him. Admittedly I was also pretty bad and I don't think I really figured out how to fight him.

Judgement pretty much is. Considering this was seventh gen, probably was a decent amount of potential picks left off the table.

Man, the river piracy of Wallachia wasn't real? No wonder, can't even get his profession straight.

8 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yep. XD

It's worth pointing out both SRW and Pac-Man belong to Namco, so not a hard crossover to do. Still, it took until now to happen, I guess.

Considering he can attack these mechs as himself, Pac-man looks like he'd be a nightmare just zooming about.

Will there be a Pac-Maze map?

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Not sure if I expected the number to be higher or lower.

Only 82.4% of players defeated Floody yes that name is awful 😝. Him being the second boss and the first hunk whom Lenga goes "Naughty Angel" on right after, if you don't trounce him, there's no reason to linger in a gallery entirely of blackened ? squares. 39% of total players / 82.4% = 47.3% of players who had a logical reason to linger.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Kinda making an argument of communal housing for all elderly with that unfortunately.

...If it cuts down on the issue of living senior citizens feeling lonely, it's not the worst thing. -Having paid dedicated caregivers to help these elderly with daily life, is another strain on the future workforce and economy, however. (I recall it being mentioned that Japan has been experimenting with using robots to help with senior care. Yet even as technophilic and robot-accepting as the country is, IIRC (not gonna dig up the Nat Geo feature article,) it's still a small minority of senior-living facilities that employ any robots.)

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Judgement pretty much is. Considering this was seventh gen, probably was a decent amount of potential picks left off the table.

Sooooooooooma!

He's the biggest absence, easily.😛

As for who else I'd think would be good (I've long thought about it).:

• Soma, as said above. Souls allow for plenty of moveset variety. Probably gets the Holy Claymore/Claimh Solais as his physical weapon, as perhaps oversized as it is for this prettyboy.
  • Richter
    • We already have two whip-wielding Belmonts, do we need a third?🤨 -Well, Richter is the Omega of Classicvania, to Simon's Alpha. -Setting aside the recent Haunted Castle remake and the WiiWare-only Adventure Rebirth.
    • Does Richter clog too much of the same time zone? Maria his companion and Alucard his savior both are already present. Someone like Leon or Christopher could fill in a different spot. (Although Christopher is likely underbaked being on the Game Boy? And we'd need to mind-wipe Leon when the time-crossing fight club is done -not like he'd be able to stop Mathias's descent into vampirism by the time he took up the whip.)
    • I'm sure there's still enough they could do to differentiate Richter from his ancestors in gameplay. Three isn't that many whippers.
  • Albus- How many gun users does Castlevania have? Not many. Well there is Henry from Legacy of Darkness, but an armored knight with a gun is weird. A second Ecclesia yes, but a distinctive character.
  • Hector- Not sure what they could exactly do with the Devil Forgemaster. But adding the Innocent Devil familiars to it could be something for spice. He'd also provide representation for the two PS2 3D games, and has met with Trevor. Not to mention he has already met Saint Germain, another time-traveler.
  • Charlotte or Stella & Loretta- A PoR representative either way. Charlotte is better than Jonathan despite overlapping with Sypha, since Jonathan would be at least partially another whipping boy. Stella & Loretta as a single character would be my alternative choice for a PoR rep. Either pick would be another female fighter too, there aren't that many of them.
  • Nathan- Yes, a whip. Does Dual Set-up System provide enough variety to justify him despite being a fourth scourge of vampires?🤔
  • Maxim- He is pretty dang nimble on his feet, and is a much better choice than Juste. I think they could do stuff with him.
  • Another Random Monster- A Golem in Judgment was a weird choice, but I wouldn't say it was a mistake. We could use another for the forces of playable darkness. How about a Persephone? Time for the Demon Castle Maid Strike against unfair working conditions.

Assuming they brought back Aeon and kept everyone else too, this would bring the roster to 22. Maybe toss in a (female for diversity I'd say), new OC for a total of 23 characters. That ought to be enough.

Maaaaybe they could pierce the dimensional boundaries and toss in Gabriel too. Though it'd likely be just him, and they'd have decide which version of him to use.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Not gonna lie, as someone who played SC years back (II/III) Voldo always was just off to me. I just never liked fighting him. Admittedly I was also pretty bad and I don't think I really figured out how to fight him.

I was and still am absolute garbage at fighting games too (hence I never buy them).😆 I know I mashed Talim's basic attacks (one of them staggers the enemy very easily), and Link's arm-twisting throw was used for many a ring-out why hasn't he ever used it again?.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Man, the river piracy of Wallachia wasn't real? No wonder, can't even get his profession straight.

I might've I've heard of Chinese river piracy before?😅 One of the great battles of the Three Kingdoms featured river armadas. So river piracy, possibly? ...Actually yes b/c now I remember Gan Ning's backstory and checking maps confirms an inland life for the pirate-turned-general of Wu. (And I know the historical Vikings made use of rivers to pillage further inland than one would think, their attack on Paris comes to mind.)

20240920120614-1.jpg

Hellooooo twinkcubus.🤗

-I went the whole game without realizing the handful of items that say to the effect "use in the right place" meant "use in the item shop to fight a boss".😅 (None of which I'll fight until I pick up everyone's second Bond skills, because I feel like it.) The game did throw a info slate at me that said as much, I just didn't realize it/forgot about it. Nor did I ever think to open the consumable item menu in the warehouse, where I would've seen such items at the bottom, unusually flashing yellow. -I don't think the game told me either that using Bond skills to kill baddies can (quickly) build up your affection with Normal Friend, Oni, Demon, and Daddy. I thought slow tedium via gifting food was the only way.

Despite the final boss being accessible now, I feel like artificially prolonging this game (it has been only like six hours so far). Which in practice means filling up the Gallery, and farming enemy drops for money as methinks there are several scenes stuck behind a total of maybe 480k in Guardian Points. And today is a good day to make progress on that.😄

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

So yep, it's an abridged remake of SRW 3 in DD. At least the beginning portions.

Not a bad thing, it has been 25 years since Complete Box. So why not?😀

I randomly saw earlier this week that Valsion in DD has a revised Cross Smasher animation. No more arm cannon to shoot the beam, it was changed to do the Valsione thing of taking two energy orbs and merging them into a beam fired from the palm. Not a bad retroactive adjustment for the sake of connectedness. -Though I'm disappointed they left out the OGverse-exclusive Mega Graviton Wave, I liked to headcanon that was the precursor to the Valsione's Psychoblaster (yet, thankfully for early OG1, Bian didn't have a MAP of it).

They exterminated him

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

...If it cuts down on the issue of living senior citizens feeling lonely, it's not the worst thing. -Having paid dedicated caregivers to help these elderly with daily life, is another strain on the future workforce and economy, however. (I recall it being mentioned that Japan has been experimenting with using robots to help with senior care. Yet even as technophilic and robot-accepting as the country is, IIRC (not gonna dig up the Nat Geo feature article,) it's still a small minority of senior-living facilities that employ any robots.)

That's the thing, you've got a good deal of the elderly who are requiring assistance to varying degrees. The main reasons against are concerns about care setting abuse and the idea of keeping people in their home, which could be fair enough points that would need rigorous work to resolve.

And that's ignoring the real issue of the age bell curve coming at us. Not this second.

I was and still am absolute garbage at fighting games too (hence I never buy them).😆 I know I mashed Talim's basic attacks (one of them staggers the enemy very easily), and Link's arm-twisting throw was used for many a ring-out why hasn't he ever used it again?.

I was all too fond of Maxi and nunchuck spam myself.

I might've I've heard of Chinese river piracy before?😅 One of the great battles of the Three Kingdoms featured river armadas. So river piracy, possibly? ...Actually yes b/c now I remember Gan Ning's backstory and checking maps confirms an inland life for the pirate-turned-general of Wu. (And I know the historical Vikings made use of rivers to pillage further inland than one would think, their attack on Paris comes to mind.)

All true, but the point was more about Wallachia

That and plenty of those Vikings set up further along the rivers too, see the Varangian guard or Rus

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I'm in Paris in two weeks.

Hopefully it's uneventful given prior months.

Silly-Achievement-2.png

🤪

-Me being my slow self, I'll probably be done with this game in three more play sessions (not tonight or tomorrow though). I'll be done with the 🏳️‍🌈 😛 then, should anyone find this annoying.😅

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

-I hope the Louvre is on your agenda?

24 minutes ago, Dayni said:

That's the thing, you've got a good deal of the elderly who are requiring assistance to varying degrees. The main reasons against are concerns about care setting abuse and the idea of keeping people in their home, which could be fair enough points that would need rigorous work to resolve.

Fair counterpoints. Abusing seniors is sadly and understandably too easy to do (and very rarely as attention-getting as murder via arsenic). And as for people's homes, besides their own homes being familiar to them, I presume there's a feeling of a humiliating loss of personal autonomy, which somehow feels like something I could understand despite being at least three decades away from that.🙄🧩

4 hours ago, Dayni said:

They exterminated him

We lost William Russell (the guy who played Ian Chesterson) too. Few months ago.

4 hours ago, Dayni said:

Hopefully it's uneventful given prior months.

When is it not lol.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-I hope the Louvre is on your agenda?

Yep. As is the British Museum once we head to the UK later in the trip.

Also going to Versailles.

1 hour ago, Codename Shrimp said:

Interesting phenomenon.

Not a bad thing, it has been 25 years since Complete Box. So why not?😀

I randomly saw earlier this week that Valsion in DD has a revised Cross Smasher animation. No more arm cannon to shoot the beam, it was changed to do the Valsione thing of taking two energy orbs and merging them into a beam fired from the palm. Not a bad retroactive adjustment for the sake of connectedness. -Though I'm disappointed they left out the OGverse-exclusive Mega Graviton Wave, I liked to headcanon that was the precursor to the Valsione's Psychoblaster (yet, thankfully for early OG1, Bian didn't have a MAP of it).

Interesting.

A legit remake of Classicverse would not be a bad idea to do, one of these days, I'd say. Not as many IP's, and we could have something instead of the current drought we're having. Or at least just port the Complete Box...

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Watch out. Being an American vacationing in Paris during the Fall...

You might get caught in more than you could bargain for...

18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yep. As is the British Museum once we head to the UK later in the trip.

If it were me, you could drop me off there and pick me up outside five minutes after closing.😆

18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Also going to Versailles.

Do take note of the gardens at Versailles. As I learned relatively recently (two months ago), the modern strawberry was first bred there.🍓

• Wild strawberries have long existed in both Eastern and Western hemispheres, consumed for as long as food.
    • ...And also used as medicine- Henry VIII used strawberry juice on his ulcerated leg, the Romans used for melancholy and bad breath.
    • ...In the Middle Ages, strawberries could alternatively symbolically represent righteousness, or lust.
  • While some are sour or bland, the best wild strawberries are sweeter than the modern cultivated varieties.
    • The red ones being the sweetest, as wild strawberries also came in pink, yellow, and white.
  • Yet wild strawberries are also much smaller. And that's not the only issue.:
    • Strawberries grow along the ground, they take up a lot of space for less yield compared to a tree or bush crop.
    • The runners which strawberry plants send out to propagate, present a problem for gardeners. If you don't properly isolate the strawberry plants, before you know it, your garden will be overgrown with strawberries, and nothing else. Strawberry fields forever.
    • Another major issue- strawberry plants would only produce berries once a year, in June.
  • Small fruit + low yield per plant + uncontrollable spread worries + single-yearly-yield = no good for subsistence agriculture.
    • Practically the only people cultivated strawberries for millennia, were those who were already had sufficient food security. Aka, the very wealthy.
  • Those of extreme wealth included the Kings of France.
    • Charles V (r. 1364-1380) reported had 1200 strawberry plants planted in the royal gardens.
    • Louis XIV loved his strawberries as well. One map of the Versailles gardens has four sizable plots dedicated to 🍓. He also had glass greenhouses and windbreaks built at Versailles, which were capable of making strawberries bear fruit as early as March.
      • His doctors told the Sun King that 🍓 made him gassy, but he ignored them. He liked the fruit soaked in wine.
      • About the same time in Europe as L14, the English and Dutch were figuring out how to get more fruit out of each plant.
  • Louis XIV sent a spy to Chile and Peru named Amedee Francois Frazier.
    • Fraise means "strawberry" in French. He was descended from a man named Julius de Berry, who had presented King Charles III "the Simple" (r. 898-922) with some wild strawberries. The King of West Francia liked them so much, he bestowed de Berry with the new strawberry-related surname.
  • In 1712, Frazier sailed for South America, and beside doing his spy job, did some writing about the local peoples and the various aspects of their cultures.
    • The Picunche and Mapuche peoples, Frazier discovered, had domesticated a much larger strawberry variety than the European had ever seen before. Not as red and not as tasty, but much bigger.
  • Frazier took five Chilean strawberry plants and brought them back to France, where have gave them away to botanists.
    • -The problem is that few strawberries were ever produced, and they were often misshapen. -Frazier had only brought female plants back with him.
  • ~50 years later, a 17-year-old at Versailles Antoine Nicolas Duchesne realized what had gone wrong.
    • Over decades, Duchesne crossbred Chilean strawberries with sweeter, redder wild European and Virginian varieties, as had naturally happened (to positive results) sometimes in the preceding half-century.
    • The end creation was the fragaria ananassa- the Pineapple Strawberry. Though not the same as a modern pineapple strawberry, this cultivar born at Versailles (first served to Louis XV) is the mother of all modern mass-produced strawberries.🍓

🤓

-You already know the gist of the main story about Versailles so I blabbed on this instead.😅 I just hope they've added bathrooms, I've heard it said that even by the standards of the day, Versailles was stinky. No toilets, perfume and excrement mixing in the air.

Now with timelapse.

This is the plot of Xenoblade X2.

If it were me, you could drop me off there and pick me up outside five minutes after closing.😆

Which reminds me, i should make the (free) reservations.

@Codename Shrimp you were in London at least once right? Did you ever get the London Pass?

Do take note of the gardens at Versailles.

Yeah i plan to get the pass that lets me see the whole estate.

I found out there's a Year-Round pass too for all the Versaille Adults out there i guess lol.

Thanks for the strawberry history lesson.